ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Hockey fights (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=139169)

bogie 04-19-2006 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully
I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them. They are trying to take a lot of the fighting out of hockey, which is a shame.
The fights are just a way players police themselves, much like beaning batters in baseball.

Taking fights out of hockey seems kinda like taking wrecks out of auto racing.

bogie 04-19-2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish
Yes... and a good hockey fight can sometimes change the momentum of the game for a team....

I can see that happening.

andoman 04-19-2006 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogie

I like dirt track racing and for the most part don't like to see wrecks. What I like to see is three wide sliding sideways through the turns.

andoman 04-19-2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully
For the record, you hardly ever see a fight break out for that reason. They are mostly as retaliation for a cheap shot, or as a tool to invigorate the team.
As far as watching to see hockey... that is where the leaders of the league are trying to take it. They are trying, in order to gain a more mainstream crowd, to cut down on the fights, and moke the game more of a fluid, less grinding game, with higher scoring.
I hate to see that. I can recall a series or two the Wings won recently, simply because they worked in the corners and against the boards better than the other teams. And a good fight always makes things more exciting for me. but if the rule changes they've implemented mean more fans, and more popularity for the sport, I can tolerate some "popping" up of the game.

If you truly watch hockey for the game, and want to see no fights, you are in luck. The playoffs start this weekend, and there is RARELY a fight during the playoffs.

I totally agree that corner play can decide a game. Digging out a puck, out positioning the other guy, plain old hustle - those are a big part of hockey and I'd hate to see them leave the game.

I'm really looking forward to the playoffs. Out here in central Kansas we don't get much hockey on TV until the playoffs start.

bogie 04-19-2006 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andoman
I like dirt track racing and for the most part don't like to see wrecks. What I like to see is three wide sliding sideways through the turns.

I used to love going to Monet for the dirt track races. Larry Phillips was the man to beat (this was the early 1970's). I liked a wreck once a night, but that was enough. It slowed down the action when you spent all night with the yellow flag.

chiefs4me 04-19-2006 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogie

Exactly......PBJ

chiefs4me 04-19-2006 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andoman
I totally agree that corner play can decide a game. Digging out a puck, out positioning the other guy, plain old hustle - those are a big part of hockey and I'd hate to see them leave the game.

I'm really looking forward to the playoffs. Out here in central Kansas we don't get much hockey on TV until the playoffs start.

you only have to wait 2 more days, and then it's drop the gloves time..:D

Sully 04-20-2006 08:42 AM

http://www.nhlfa.com/fanreport/2006/

Interesting results here. If you look down to #27, it says that 88% of fans don't want to see fighting eliminated.
The problem with this, is that they are trying to bring in new fans. Of course the people who are fans already love the game the way it is. I'll stick with my opinion that the fighting is a great part of the game. But I understand it needs to be taken away to gain some fringe or non-fans.