ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   It's official. Moore in, Baird out (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=141558)

Eleazar 05-31-2006 01:14 PM

Check this out. Some despondent Braves' fans mourning his departure. Talking about how it's going to be a huge hit to their scouting department.

http://www.chopnation.com/bravesboar...opic.php?t=330

Pitt Gorilla 05-31-2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
Totally agree with tk. Saying Baird can't draft is pretty shortsighted. It's easy for a football fan to look at a team and think, these guys stink, ergo, he can't draft, without understanding how the baseball draft is different, and how like Beane said, if you get one or two guys who make it to the majors in a given year then you have done well.

Not only that, a lot of guys change positions in the minors or take 5 years to make it to the bigs anyways. Zack Greinkes and Alex Gordons are not a dime a dozen. Nobody is behind schedule if they aren't pitching in the majors at age 20 like Saberhagen was.

The draft in baseball is a crapshoot. And we still have some pretty good prospects down in Wichita. Baird's chapter in the team's history hasn't been closed out yet.

You're right, as I was a bit harsh on him. The thing that really bothers me is that I have liked a lot of his moves. The Batista for Huber deal was incredible. The Bautista for Grimmace was even better. Getting German in a Rule 5 trade was pretty impressive. Even Berroa for Damon is a pretty big win in my book. I really liked Teahen and was impressed that we got Buck and Wood in the deal as well. I still think time will prove that deal was for the good.

Giving up Matt Diaz was a mistake. Trading Dye for Perez was even worse. Not dealing Sweeney for anyone was maybe the worst decision of all.

IMO, his trades and fringe FAs have been very good. I guess that is why I put the blame on the draft. It would be nice to have a few stars coming through the system, and Gordon and DeJesus could be star guys.

Frazod 05-31-2006 01:17 PM

And the Titanic switches captains. Big fucking deal.

The problem is GLASS, not Baird. Unless the new guy is some sort of masterful medieval alchemist, I really don't see how he's going to build a winning franchise out of a $5 bag of Wal-mart fertilizer.

Hammock Parties 05-31-2006 01:19 PM

I just screamed and creamed my panties!!!! SWEET SHIT!!!!!!!! Im ****ing excited as hell man!!

JBucc 05-31-2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod

The problem is GLASS, not Baird. Unless the new guy is some sort of masterful medieval alchemist, I really don't see how he's going to build a winning franchise out of a $5 bag of Wal-mart fertilizer.

The thinking is he wouldn't have come here unless Glass agreed to leave him the **** alone and give him what he needs. Whether or not that actually happens only time will tell. I have my doubts.

Dr. Johnny Fever 05-31-2006 01:21 PM

Dear God,

Please don't let Dayton Moore's hiring be a cruel joke... and watch after Allard.

Amen.

Eleazar 05-31-2006 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla
Giving up Matt Diaz was a mistake. Trading Dye for Perez was even worse. Not dealing Sweeney for anyone was maybe the worst decision of all.

Depending on who you ask, you can shift blame for two of those three scenarios to ownership. Supposedly there was a Dye trade lined up for... I can't remember now, something respectable, but Baird was slapped down. Same with Sweeney.

Diaz, yeah he's a good hitter, but we haven't seen yet what we got on our end of that deal either.

FringeNC 05-31-2006 01:26 PM

"The organization’s primary failure under Baird was in its inability to draft and develop high-quality players in recent years. The current 25-man roster has only two players — outfielders David DeJesus and Shane Costa — who were drafted in Baird’s six seasons.

Further, several recent lineups mocked the very idea that the club is engaged in a rebuilding plan. The Royals started five players Tuesday against Oakland who were 30 years or older."

Ouch.

Pitt Gorilla 05-31-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
Depending on who you ask, you can shift blame for two of those three scenarios to ownership. Supposedly there was a Dye trade lined up for... I can't remember now, something respectable, but Baird was slapped down. Same with Sweeney.

Diaz, yeah he's a good hitter, but we haven't seen yet what we got on our end of that deal either.

Good point; I forgot that was a trade.

BigChiefFan 05-31-2006 01:29 PM

An official announcement should be made within 30 minutes according to AM 610 that Moore will be named the GM.

DanT 05-31-2006 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod

It's still good that Dayton Moore stuck to his guns during the hiring process. The whole thing has played out in a way that speaks badly for the Glass family, while speaking well for Moore. Without his having to come out and say that the Glass family has been fucking up the Royals, it's become far more apparent that they have. Moore has put himself in about as good a position as a new Royals GM could be under Glass's ownership.

petegz28 05-31-2006 01:45 PM

FINALLLYYYYYY!!! WOOT!

REAL CHANGE!

Now I will buy me some season tickets and look forward to some good baseball in the coming years

Eleazar 05-31-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla
Good point; I forgot that was a trade.

I forget the guy's name, he's a pitcher. I remember a stink over at Royalboard about him because someone else with the same name who was also a pitcher in the minors got caught using roids, but it wasn't the same guy or something.

chiefqueen 05-31-2006 02:01 PM

I owe somebody rep for getting the pool right. B/C I'm lazy, I'll give rep to the person who finds the thread.

ChiTown 05-31-2006 02:10 PM

Royals Official Release

Royals name Moore new GM
Baird dismissed; Jackson interim GM until after draft
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

Dayton Moore succeeds Allard Baird to become the sixth general manager in club history. (Atlanta Braves)

OAKLAND -- After weeks of speculation, the Royals replaced general manager Allard Baird with Dayton Moore of the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday.

Baird, the team's general manager since 2000, was dismissed with the Royals holding the worst record in Major League Baseball at 13-37.

Moore, 39, becomes the sixth general manager in franchise history.

Formerly assistant general manager of baseball operations to Atlanta's John Schuerholz, Moore had been with the Braves since 1994. Schuerholz was one of his predecessors in the Royals' job from 1981-1990.

The Royals announced that vice president/baseball operations Muzzy Jackson would serve as interim GM until Moore takes over after next week's First-Year Player Draft.

Moore has Midwest roots, born in Wichita, Kan. He lives with his wife, Marianne, and their three children in Duluth, Ga.

For the Braves, Moore was responsible for overseeing all aspects of scouting and player development. He has been the club's director of international scouting and director of player personnel during his career.

Moore is a graduate of George Mason University, where he served as assistant baseball coach from 1990-1994.

Baird, 44, took over the Royals' GM job on June 17, 2000, succeeding Herk Robinson. A long-time scout, Baird was instrumental in expanding the team's world-wide presence.

However, the Royals' top finish in the Baird era was third place in 2003. After that, the club lost 104 games in 2004 and a team-record 106 last season.