ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Excerpts from Friday's ESPN Page 2 Sportsguy (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=155271)

tk13 12-29-2006 08:55 PM

Eric Dickerson's first year he carried the ball 390 times, which at the time was the NFL record. The next year he ran for 2150 yards and averaged 5.6 ypc.

He's pretty much the exception to the rule. He has 4 of the top 17 carry totals in history... Ricky Williams has 2 seasons on that list, and everybody else just has one. He missed a couple games here and there but really made it about 7 or 8 years before wearing down. Then again, if we have another Eric Dickerson on our hands, we're pretty lucky.

Mecca 12-29-2006 08:57 PM

Of course the guys hitting Erick Dickerson weren't nearly as big and fast as the guys are today....

tk13 12-29-2006 08:59 PM

Yeah, I'd agree with that too... I think that's why guys like Jamal Anderson and T. Davis didn't make it as long, these guys are freaks of nature nowadays. On the other hand, LJ sat the bench for almost 3 years in college and in the pros too, so he doesn't have a ton of wear and tear.

BWillie 12-29-2006 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
Yeah, I'd agree with that too... I think that's why guys like Jamal Anderson and T. Davis didn't make it as long, these guys are freaks of nature nowadays. On the other hand, LJ sat the bench for almost 3 years in college and in the pros too, so he doesn't have a ton of wear and tear.

LJ asked for this. At the beginning of the year, he wanted more carries, and said he wanted 30 carries a game. I will say this about LJ, he has amazing durability. He doesn't look any different after he's taken 30 carries. The guy is a horse, but over time, it's going to be way to many carries.

The reason why LJ is getting so many carries is because Herm wants to make him happy. Everybody knows LJ doesn't really like Kansas City, and didn't get along with Dick. It would of been better on LJ for the Chiefs in the long term if we would of used Bennett ALOT more. Bennett is as great of a 2nd string running back as your going to get in the NFL.

Mecca 12-29-2006 09:05 PM

All I know is if he gets a huge contract after this type of carry season......it could turn out to look like the dumbest contract ever signed.

milkman 12-29-2006 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007
LJ asked for this. At the beginning of the year, he wanted more carries, and said he wanted 30 carries a game. I will say this about LJ, he has amazing durability. He doesn't look any different after he's taken 30 carries. The guy is a horse, but over time, it's going to be way to many carries.

The reason why LJ is getting so many carries is because Herm wants to make him happy. Everybody knows LJ doesn't really like Kansas City, and didn't get along with Dick. It would of been better on LJ for the Chiefs in the long term if we would of used Bennett ALOT more. Bennett is as great of a 2nd string running back as your going to get in the NFL.

Couldn't use Bennett more, what with that torn labia.

dtebbe 12-29-2006 10:02 PM

Jamal Anderson was done in by the shitty turf in the Georgia dome much more than the number of carries he had.

DT

dtebbe 12-29-2006 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
Some would say he's already declining... he's averaging almost a full ypc less than last year, and he had more 20+ yard runs last year...

I'm sorry, but Willie Roaf more than made up for those numbers. I haven't seen the left side once look this year like it did about every time they ran that way last year. Willie could pretty much take out 2 or 3 guys every time they ran to that side. And let's face it, Ronnie Cruz and Bigfoot Wilson still can't carry T-Rich's jock when it comes to lead blocking. I don't think LJ's abilities have declined a bit, the talent in front of him has.

DT

FringeNC 12-30-2006 01:56 PM

Herm just wants to win the TOP battle. That's more important than winning the game. Wait though, our TOP is way down from last year...Funny how that works.

the Talking Can 12-30-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
All I know is if he gets a huge contract after this type of carry season......it could turn out to look like the dumbest contract ever signed.

thankfully you aren't prone to hyperbole...