ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Last minute run on a free agent? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182846)

Wilson8 04-12-2008 05:53 PM

At the risk of being pounded with,” We don’t need any stinking free agents…there are still some FA NFL players besides Max Starks that have some value to KC.

I wouldn’t suggest signing any of these guys to big dollar contracts. But these players could help the Chiefs and allow KC to be more flexible with the draft.

BUF DT Larry Triplett – Has value working in a rotation system of defensive tackles. The rap on him is he wears down during the game and during the season. He is 29 years old and has been injury free and averages about 35 tackles per year in 6 years of playing. He was a 2002, 2nd round pick and is 6’2’ 293lbs. Lat year he had 35 tackles, 1 sack, 1 interception, and 5 PDs. He played college ball at Washington, was drafted by the Colts, and has played for Buffalo for 2 years.

MIN DE/DT Darrion Scott – Was injured last year with broken foot but he is only 26 years old and at 6’3” 290 lbs can play defensive end or defensive tackle. He was an Ohio State player that was selected in the 3rd round in 2004. In 2005 he had 58 tackles with 4 sacks. In 2006 he had 46 tackles with 5.5 sacks. He could serve in the mold of Jimmy Wilkerson and be used where needed on the defensive line. Negatives would be the broken foot and on December 27th 2007, while at home in Charleston, West Virginia, was charged with marijuana possession.

SD OL Shane Olivea – Most of you know about him with San Diego. I think he has value to the Chiefs and their offensive line needs. He is 26 years old and since 2004 has started and played at right tackle except last year when he had an injured back. The rap on him is that he quit on the team last year but what role did his back and the Chargers GM Smith have on his bad attitude?

BAL RB Musa Smith – 25 years old 2003, 3rd round pick out of Georgia. He is 6’ 232 lbs with 132 carries for 496 yards and 54 receptions for 363 yards in 5 years with Baltimore. Musa could be used as a backup running back so it is not as important that we draft one this year.

MIA RB Samkon Gado – Would be used similar to Musa Smith. Samkon is 5’ 10” 226, 25 years old with 252 rushing attempts, 942 yards, 39 receptions for 268 yards in 4 years with Green Bay, Houston, and Miami. He could battle for the 3rd running back spot. Signing Samkon would not prevent KC from drafting a running back in the later rounds.

NYJ CB Andre Dyson – 28 years old, 2001 2nd round pick for the Titans out of Utah. He has 292 tackles, 22 interceptions, 81 PDs in 7 years for Tennessee, Seattle, and New York Jets. Again signing Andre would allow for more flexibility with draft.

Maybe none of these players merit signing before the draft, but possibly KC should at least be negotiating with them if they need to sign them soon after the 2008 NFL draft.

My personal choice is to re-build with the draft, but I think with all of holes the Chiefs have to fill, they also need to sign free agents wisely.

Frankie 04-12-2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson8 (Post 4681194)
At the risk of being pounded with,” We don’t need any stinking free agents…there are still some FA NFL players besides Max Starks that have some value to KC.

I wouldn’t suggest signing any of these guys to big dollar contracts. But these players could help the Chiefs and allow KC to be more flexible with the draft.

BUF DT Larry Triplett – Has value working in a rotation system of defensive tackles. The rap on him is he wears down during the game and during the season. He is 29 years old and has been injury free and averages about 35 tackles per year in 6 years of playing. He was a 2002, 2nd round pick and is 6’2’ 293lbs. Lat year he had 35 tackles, 1 sack, 1 interception, and 5 PDs. He played college ball at Washington, was drafted by the Colts, and has played for Buffalo for 2 years.

MIN DE/DT Darrion Scott – Was injured last year with broken foot but he is only 26 years old and at 6’3” 290 lbs can play defensive end or defensive tackle. He was an Ohio State player that was selected in the 3rd round in 2004. In 2005 he had 58 tackles with 4 sacks. In 2006 he had 46 tackles with 5.5 sacks. He could serve in the mold of Jimmy Wilkerson and be used where needed on the defensive line. Negatives would be the broken foot and on December 27th 2007, while at home in Charleston, West Virginia, was charged with marijuana possession.

SD OL Shane Olivea – Most of you know about him with San Diego. I think he has value to the Chiefs and their offensive line needs. He is 26 years old and since 2004 has started and played at right tackle except last year when he had an injured back. The rap on him is that he quit on the team last year but what role did his back and the Chargers GM Smith have on his bad attitude?

BAL RB Musa Smith – 25 years old 2003, 3rd round pick out of Georgia. He is 6’ 232 lbs with 132 carries for 496 yards and 54 receptions for 363 yards in 5 years with Baltimore. Musa could be used as a backup running back so it is not as important that we draft one this year.

MIA RB Samkon Gado – Would be used similar to Musa Smith. Samkon is 5’ 10” 226, 25 years old with 252 rushing attempts, 942 yards, 39 receptions for 268 yards in 4 years with Green Bay, Houston, and Miami. He could battle for the 3rd running back spot. Signing Samkon would not prevent KC from drafting a running back in the later rounds.

NYJ CB Andre Dyson – 28 years old, 2001 2nd round pick for the Titans out of Utah. He has 292 tackles, 22 interceptions, 81 PDs in 7 years for Tennessee, Seattle, and New York Jets. Again signing Andre would allow for more flexibility with draft.

Maybe none of these players merit signing before the draft, but possibly KC should at least be negotiating with them if they need to sign them soon after the 2008 NFL draft.

My personal choice is to re-build with the draft, but I think with all of holes the Chiefs have to fill, they also need to sign free agents wisely.

Good post.

Mr. Laz 04-12-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

agreed ... nice post

Wilson8 04-12-2008 06:13 PM

Thanks...with only 375 posts since 2001, I need to have have each one "Top Notch".

cookster50 04-12-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson8 (Post 4681218)
Thanks...with only 375 posts since 2001, I need to have have each one "Top Notch".

This post fails that requirement.

:)

BIG K 04-12-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Very nice post! A couple of us have been alluding to your last statement for a while. The Chiefs WILL have to dip into FA at one point. Question is, will they go for other teams cast offs or undrafted athletes? I would imagine both will happen; as you so correctly said, there are just too many holes to fill with a measley 10 picks in the draft.

If they pull 'trade downs' all day long like Parcels did with the Dolphins his first year, and they have 17 or 18 picks, then yeah, no need to hit free agency..

milkman 04-12-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG K (Post 4681425)
Very nice post! A couple of us have been alluding to your last statement for a while. The Chiefs WILL have to dip into FA at one point. Question is, will they go for other teams cast offs or undrafted athletes? I would imagine both will happen; as you so correctly said, there are just too many holes to fill with a measley 10 picks in the draft.

If they pull 'trade downs' all day long like Parcels did with the Dolphins his first year, and they have 17 or 18 picks, then yeah, no need to hit free agency..

Regardless of the draft and vet free agent signings, every team signs 10 or more undrafted rookie free agents.

BIG K 04-12-2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 4681432)
Regardless of the draft and vet free agent signings, every team signs 10 or more undrafted rookie free agents.

Thank you Captain Obvious! :) j/k

Yes but, MOST teams sign those guys as TC Fodder.. Good or bad, I expect alot of those guys will be the Chief's backups or starters in 08'

Wilson8 04-13-2008 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookster50 (Post 4681406)
This post fails that requirement.

:)

I’ll try and do better. ;)

To add to my point about too many holes and not enough picks to fill them

Offensive Line
Gone - Kyle Turley, Casey Wiegmann, and John Welbourn. Also two players that were on roster at beginning of season - Chris Bober, (was on IR) Chris Terry (already gone before end of season.)
Added – Anthony Alabi (picked up on waivers from Miami), Rob Smith, and Travis Leffew.
Currently have Brian Water, Rudy Niswanger, Damion McIntosh, Will Svitek, Herb Taylor, Tre Stallings, Adrian Jones, Rob Smith, and Travis Leffew
3 Offensive Linemen needed - Need to add two offensive linemen just to stay even and one more to challenge the others to play better.

Cornerback
Gone – Ty Law and Benny Sapp.
Added Chad Johnson
Currently have Patrick Surtain, Tyron Brackenridge, Rashad Barksdale, Demitri Patterson and Chad Johnson.
2 Cornerbacks needed – Need to add one to replace and one more to challenge the others to play better.

Wide Receiver and Return Man
Gone – Eddie Kennison, Samie Parker, and Eddie Drummond
Added – Davard Darling and B.J. Sams (returner)
Currently have Dwayne Bowe, Jeff Webb, Bobby Sippio, Devard Darling, Maurice Price, and B.J. Sams (cornerback but will compete for the return job)
2 Wide Receivers needed to compete for Webb, Sippio, Darling, and Sams position

Defensive Line
Gone – Jimmy Wilkerson, James Reed
Added T.J. Jackson
Currently have Jared Allen, Tamba Hali, Turk McBride, Tank Tyler, Ron Edwards, Alfonso Boone, and T.J Jackson.
2 Defensive Linemen needed - Need to add two replacements to stay even and to compete.

Linebacker
Gone – Kendrell Bell and Keyaron Fox
Added DeMorrio Williams
Currently have Donnie Edwards, Derrick Johnson, Napoleon Harris, DeMorrio Williams, Nate Harris, Mickey Pimentel, Johnny Baldwin, and Pat Thomas.
2 Linebackers needed. Need to add at least two to compete with Harris, Pimentel, Baldwin, and Thomas.

Tight End
Gone – Jason Dunn and Kris Wilson
Added – Michael Allan (brought up from practice squad) and Joe Lobdell (converted OL)
Currently have Tony Gonzalez, Michael Allan, and Joe Lobdell
1 Tight End needed.

Fullback
Gone – Boomer Grigsby, Kris Wilson (listed earlier under Tight End but he filled two positions)
Added – Oliver Hoyte (claimed on waivers from Dallas)
Currently have Oliver Hoyte
1 Fullback needed.

Running Back
Gone – Priest Holmes and Gilbert Harris
Added –
Currently have Larry Johnson, Kolby Smith, and Jackie Battle
1 Running Back needed to compete for position.

Safety
Gone – No one yet but Greg Wesley wants out
Added – Erick Harris
Currently have Jarrad Page, Bernard Pollard, Jon McGraw, Greg Wesley, and Eric Harris
1 Safety needed if KC trades or release Greg Wesley

Quarterback
Gone – Talk of Damon Huard being released but probably just talk.
Added – David Greene (added during the season)
Currently have Brodie Croyle, Damon Huard, Tyler Thigpen, and David Greene
1 Quarterback needed if KC feels the need for competition at position.

Special Teams
Gone – Jason Medlock, Dave Raymer, and John Carney (currently FA)
Added - Nick Novak and Billy Cundiff
Currently have Dustin Colquitt, Jean-Philippe Darche, Nick Novak, and Billy Cundiff
1 Kicker needed to compete against Cundiff and Novak.

That is 16 to 17 player positions needed to fill, either through the draft, college free agent selection, or free agency. It is unreasonable to think that ten of ten draft picks are dead-on selections and we can also have seven CFAs that meet all of the Chiefs needs. It seems that 3 or 4 additional free agent signings would help with the 2008 Kansas City Chief’s roster.

OnTheWarpath15 04-13-2008 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 4681432)

Keep in mind that this fan base is scared shitless to play young, unproven players. People are begging for free agents - ANY free agents, just to fill out the roster. People just want a name, because they don't know shit about the guys currently on the roster.

There was a quote from Herm somewhere about there being upwards of 20 UDFA's on the roster this year.

OnTheWarpath15 04-13-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson8 (Post 4681603)
I’ll try and do better. ;)

To add to my point about too many holes and not enough picks to fill them

Offensive Line
Gone - Kyle Turley, Casey Wiegmann, and John Welbourn. Also two players that were on roster at beginning of season - Chris Bober, (was on IR) Chris Terry (already gone before end of season.)
Added – Anthony Alabi (picked up on waivers from Miami), Rob Smith, and Travis Leffew.
Currently have Brian Water, Rudy Niswanger, Damion McIntosh, Will Svitek, Herb Taylor, Tre Stallings, Adrian Jones, Rob Smith, and Travis Leffew
3 Offensive Linemen needed - Need to add two offensive linemen just to stay even and one more to challenge the others to play better.

Cornerback
Gone – Ty Law and Benny Sapp.
Added Chad Johnson
Currently have Patrick Surtain, Tyron Brackenridge, Rashad Barksdale, Demitri Patterson and Chad Johnson.
2 Cornerbacks needed – Need to add one to replace and one more to challenge the others to play better.

Wide Receiver and Return Man
Gone – Eddie Kennison, Samie Parker, and Eddie Drummond
Added – Davard Darling and B.J. Sams (returner)
Currently have Dwayne Bowe, Jeff Webb, Bobby Sippio, Devard Darling, Maurice Price, and B.J. Sams (cornerback but will compete for the return job)
2 Wide Receivers needed to compete for Webb, Sippio, Darling, and Sams position

Defensive Line
Gone – Jimmy Wilkerson, James Reed
Added T.J. Jackson
Currently have Jared Allen, Tamba Hali, Turk McBride, Tank Tyler, Ron Edwards, Alfonso Boone, and T.J Jackson.
2 Defensive Linemen needed - Need to add two replacements to stay even and to compete.

Linebacker
Gone – Kendrell Bell and Keyaron Fox
Added DeMorrio Williams
Currently have Donnie Edwards, Derrick Johnson, Napoleon Harris, DeMorrio Williams, Nate Harris, Mickey Pimentel, Johnny Baldwin, and Pat Thomas.
2 Linebackers needed. Need to add at least two to compete with Harris, Pimentel, Baldwin, and Thomas.

Tight End
Gone – Jason Dunn and Kris Wilson
Added – Michael Allan (brought up from practice squad) and Joe Lobdell (converted OL)
Currently have Tony Gonzalez, Michael Allan, and Joe Lobdell
1 Tight End needed.

Fullback
Gone – Boomer Grigsby, Kris Wilson (listed earlier under Tight End but he filled two positions)
Added – Oliver Hoyte (claimed on waivers from Dallas)
Currently have Oliver Hoyte
1 Fullback needed.

Running Back
Gone – Priest Holmes and Gilbert Harris
Added –
Currently have Larry Johnson, Kolby Smith, and Jackie Battle
1 Running Back needed to compete for position.

Safety
Gone – No one yet but Greg Wesley wants out
Added – Erick Harris
Currently have Jarrad Page, Bernard Pollard, Jon McGraw, Greg Wesley, and Eric Harris
1 Safety needed if KC trades or release Greg Wesley

Quarterback
Gone – Talk of Damon Huard being released but probably just talk.
Added – David Greene (added during the season)
Currently have Brodie Croyle, Damon Huard, Tyler Thigpen, and David Greene
1 Quarterback needed if KC feels the need for competition at position.

Special Teams
Gone – Jason Medlock, Dave Raymer, and John Carney (currently FA)
Added - Nick Novak and Billy Cundiff
Currently have Dustin Colquitt, Jean-Philippe Darche, Nick Novak, and Billy Cundiff
1 Kicker needed to compete against Cundiff and Novak.

That is 16 to 17 player positions needed to fill, either through the draft, college free agent selection, or free agency. It is unreasonable to think that ten of ten draft picks are dead-on selections and we can also have seven CFAs that meet all of the Chiefs needs. It seems that 3 or 4 additional free agent signings would help with the 2008 Kansas City Chief’s roster.

Your math is terribly flawed. I'll assume that the players you listed are correct, as I'm not going to take the time to double check.

According to your math, we have 54 players on the roster. That's already 1 more than is what is allowed during the season, not counting draft picks. Camp bodies will come in the form of UDFA's to get up to the max of 80.

We have 9 OLmen on the roster. You claim we need THREE more. Very few NFL teams carry more than 9-10 OLmen.

We have 5 CB's on the roster. Most teams carry 5-6 at most.

We have 6 WR's. Again, most teams carry 5 at most and only dress 4.

DL is the one place where I agree with your assessment. We have 7 on the roster, and need 2 more to get to 9. Will likely come in the form of the draft.

We have EIGHT LB's. No one carries anywhere NEAR that amount. I think we might have carried 6 last year.

We won't carry more than 3 TE's.

We surely don't need another FB.

We could use another RB or two, one strictly as a camp body. But again, we're only going to carry three, which we currently have.

We don't need another safety, as you claim. We'll carry 4-5 at the most. Likely only 4.

We're a QB heavy.

We're also heavy on ST, unless we carry a placekicker and a KO specialist, which is a waste of roster spot, IMO.

EDIT: I lied, I went back and checked, there are 58 players on the roster. I'm NOT going to go back and check to see who you missed.

Wilson8 04-13-2008 11:14 AM

I wrote that at 2:30 AM and I was not very clear in my explanation.

You are correct that it would be terrible math if it was for the regular season 53 man roster.

This math is based on the NFL off season roster size of 80 players. The Chief’s roster at kcchiefs.com lists 58 players on it. Three of those are actually free agents, Eddie Drummond, John Carney, and Samie Parker. B.J. Sams is not yet listed. 58 - 3 + 1 = 56 players, so 24 players needed to make 80. So the estimate of 16 to 17 players is actually under what we need.

We have 10 draft picks and KC can certainly sign 14 college free agents. I don’t think that is the best way to build the Kansas City Chiefs though. There are NFL free agent players available that have a better chance of improving the team and making the 53 man roster. Again I think the draft is the best way to build, but a team better be careful of expecting too much from CFAs.

Wilson8 04-13-2008 11:37 AM

To bring this thread back to booger’s original post; would it be better to have Max Starks on the roster to compete at right tackle or do you hope that Will Svitek, Herb Taylor, Adrian Jones, or a college free agent can do the job? Don’t hand the job to anyone but bring in the best players to compete.

OnTheWarpath15 04-13-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson8 (Post 4681805)
To bring this thread back to booger’s original post; would it be better to have Max Starks on the roster to compete at right tackle or do you hope that Will Svitek, Herb Taylor, Adrian Jones, or a college free agent can do the job? Don’t hand the job to anyone but bring in the best players to compete.

I'd rather have the players you listed compete for the job, along with Anthony Alabi, Travis Leffew and anyone we may draft at the position.

The Bad Guy 04-13-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 4680775)
watch them again...he was fine at RT

We can agree to disagree.

I've watched every snap of every game twice over.

If you think he was fine at RT, you are a much more generous grader than I am.