ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Draft Reality Check (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=183873)

J Diddy 04-27-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl (Post 4720609)
Consistently taking the best athlete available is how you end up like the oakland raiders.

Teams that are consistently at the top (new england, pittsburgh etc.) draft for quality across the board rather than a few superstars.

nobody said best athlete available

best player available

banyon 04-27-2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl (Post 4720609)
Consistently taking the best athlete available is how you end up like the oakland raiders.

Teams that are consistently at the top (new england, pittsburgh etc.) draft for quality across the board rather than a few superstars.

I agree to a point. You have to be balanced, need & BAA. We usually reached for positions of need with guys who were terrible projects.

Now we picked the best guys, but still picked a good spread of them. That's why it's a great draft.

J Diddy 04-27-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 4719692)
Uh, never.

But God knows the fan base is in a mad rush to get back to 8- as soon as possible, value for picks and getting BPA's be damned.

If we get 8 wins this season I will be ecstatic

KCTitus 04-27-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 4720627)

Half of that will be a success for this group.

DaneMcCloud 04-27-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 4720627)

If the Chiefs win 4 games in 2008, I'll be ecstatic.

KCJohnny 04-27-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 4720883)
If the Chiefs win 4 games in 2008, I'll be ecstatic.

Chiefs will be 3-13 next year as the kids will be overwhelmed, the playbook drastically simplified, the scheme dumbed down, and the opponents fierce. But there will be few blow outs and a lot of close games. The O will get 300+ YPG and the D may improve slightly (the loss of Allen is huge). By November though, some of these kids will be emerging studs and the 2009 campaign will be a serious run at the post season, maybe a division title. Maybe.

BigChiefFan 04-27-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCJohnny (Post 4720913)
Chiefs will be 3-13 next year as the kids will be overwhelmed, the playbook drastically simplified, the scheme dumbed down, and the opponents fierce. But there will be few blow outs and a lot of close games. The O will get 300+ YPG and the D may improve slightly (the loss of Allen is huge). By November though, some of these kids will be emerging studs and the 2009 campaign will be a serious run at the post season, maybe a division title. Maybe.

The offense has alot further to go than you think. Average 300 yards per game?-I seriously doubt it.

KCJohnny 04-27-2008 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 4720946)
The offense has alot further to go than you think. Average 300 yards per game?-I seriously doubt it.

Don't underestimate Gailey. He has made chicken salad out of
chicken$#!+ before. We won't crack the top half of NFL Os but we will have improvement in the running game and that should set up some other gains.

TRR 04-27-2008 05:21 PM

I was pretty "middle of the road" on rounds 3 - 7...Mainly round 3. I really wanted KC to pull at least one more starter out of round 3, and they definitely didn't do that. We picked a RB that could sit behind Larry Johnson and Kolby Smith, a TE that isn't much different than the backups KC currently has, and a Safety that provides depth, but probably won't push Paige or Pollard out of a job.

KC needs depth in almost every position. But I don't think you draft for depth in the 3rd round. Especially when a player like Zuttah is there who could come in and start immediately.

Just my opinion...

Sully 04-27-2008 05:27 PM

I don't know that a guy who thought we should play Kris Wilson at tailback should even be allowed an opinion...

DaneMcCloud 04-27-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR (Post 4721198)
I was pretty "middle of the road" on rounds 3 - 7...Mainly round 3. I really wanted KC to pull at least one more starter out of round 3, and they definitely didn't do that. We picked a RB that could sit behind Larry Johnson and Kolby Smith, a TE that isn't much different than the backups KC currently has, and a Safety that provides depth, but probably won't push Paige or Pollard out of a job.

KC needs depth in almost every position. But I don't think you draft for depth in the 3rd round. Especially when a player like Zuttah is there who could come in and start immediately.

Just my opinion...

Who are these "other" tight ends you refer to?

Wasn't LJ injured last year? Weren't guys like Gilbert Harris on the field?

Did Pollard have trouble in the scheme?

Mecca 04-27-2008 05:29 PM

If people had actually seen DaJuan Morgan play they'd understand he is probably the best safety on the roster.

beach tribe 04-27-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4721224)
If people had actually seen DaJuan Morgan play they'd understand he is probably the best safety on the roster.

I have to agree, and I like our safeties.

Morgan will wind up starting for this team.

TRR 04-27-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 4721214)
Who are these "other" tight ends you refer to?

Wasn't LJ injured last year? Weren't guys like Gilbert Harris on the field?

Did Pollard have trouble in the scheme?

Michael Allen, JP Foschi, and Joe Lobdell were already on the roster, and just as big, and have the same M.O. as Brad Cottam. Not much of a passing threat, but a big blocker.

Harris was on the field last season, and I don't mind the Jamaal Charles pick...However, I don't think you draft a 3rd RB in the 3rd round. That being said, I do think he will end up being a good situational RB.

DaJuan Morgan was a head scratcher because it looks like KC is still going to keep both Greg Wesley and Jon McGraw on the roster. I like the pick, I just believe that you could have gotten a starter here on the O Line, instead of a 4th or 5th Safety.

Mecca 04-27-2008 05:37 PM

Brad Cottam is way more talented than you are giving him creidt for...

And I'm sorry Wesley will probably get cut and Morgan will start for this team, he is light years better than our safeties.