ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports 2008 NBA Draft Lottery (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=184967)

Basileus777 05-20-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 4760587)
I have to agree with Mecca on this one. Rose is a guy who averaged 14 points a game, granted on a good team but he just doesn't look dominant to me. He utilized his size well to take advantage on many guards in the college ranks which made it easier for him to do what he wants. He's not going to have that luxury at the next level.

He absolutely will. He still has a large size and speed advantage over most NBA pgs. With the way fouls are called in the NBA, he's going to be very tough to stop from getting to the rim. Rose will take longer to adapt to the NBA game than Beasley because he's a pg and won't be able to come in and be a good scorer immediately. But, he has more potential than Beasley and plays the more important position.

He's not a great shooter, but neither is Dwayne Wade or Tony Parker. No one can stop them from penetrating. Chris Paul isn't a very good shooter. Jason Kidd is a HOFer and never developed a jump shot. Plus that is something he can develop. He's a lot more likely to become a good shooter than Beasley is of becoming a good defender.

the Talking Can 05-20-2008 08:54 PM

passing on Rose because of Hinrich would be like passing on Dorsey because of McBride.....

I'm a KU fan, and I'd draft Rose in a damn heartbeat.

You also don't build great teams around the 4 spot...rarely....and Beasley isn't a power forward ala Duncan/Malone....you build a round great centers, guards, or wings a la Jordan/Bryant. I'm not even convinced that he'll be better than Odom.

I think Beasley will be an excellent pro, who scores a lot, but he won't be the centerpiece of a franchise the way Rose could be.

Rose isn't Paul. But he's a much freakier athlete, and taller, than either Paul or Williams (Utah).

And he's only 19. Take him. Build a team around him.

KevB 05-20-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 4760587)
I have to agree with Mecca on this one. Rose is a guy who averaged 14 points a game, granted on a good team but he just doesn't look dominant to me. He utilized his size well to take advantage on many guards in the college ranks which made it easier for him to do what he wants. He's not going to have that luxury at the next level. The fact that Rose doesn't have good 3 range doesn't help. I'm sure he'll be a good player, but the Bull's would be reeruned if the didn't pick up Beasley. He's like Carlos Boozer except he can shoot.

His value isn't solely in his scoring. He's unselfish, and he knows how to run a team and be a very good player without chucking up 20 shots a game.

He will continue to be bigger/stronger/faster than the majority of the other PGs in the league, so that advantage will continue.

He'll certainly need to improve his perimeter shooting, but as I said in a previous post, Chris Paul shot 28% his first season and still put up 16 and 8.

BWillie 05-20-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 4760596)
He absolutely will. He still has a large size and speed advantage over most NBA pgs. With the way fouls are called in the NBA, he's going to be very tough to stop from getting to the rim. Rose will take longer to adapt to the NBA game than Beasley because he's a pg and won't be able to come in and be a good scorer immediately. But, he has more potential than Beasley and plays the more important position.

People say the point guard is the most important position right? Well the best point guard the last five years was Steve Nash. How many championships did he win? I think shooting guard is the most important. I thought that was interesting what one poster said before. 8 out of the last 9 NBA Champions had Shaq or Duncan playing for them.

Basileus777 05-20-2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 4760607)
People say the point guard is the most important position right? Well the best point guard the last five years was Steve Nash. How many championships did he win? I think shooting guard is the most important. I thought that was interesting what one poster said before. 8 out of the last 9 NBA Champions had Shaq or Duncan playing for them.

In the NBA you either need Michael Jordan or a dominant big man to win a championship. There aren't any of those in this draft. But with the way NBA games are officiated today, quick penetrating pgs have become almost unguardable.

I wouldn't compare Rose to Nash, they really have little in common. Rose is more like a bigger Tony Parker or a pg version of Wade. He is unselfish, but he isn't a Nash/Kidd or even Paul type of passer.

the Talking Can 05-20-2008 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 4760607)

actually, no one is saying that....everyone knows that centers are the rarest and most important players.....

but the choice is between a pg and slightly undersized power forward....great pgs are much rarer, there are lots of quality 4's coming out of college....

KCChiefsMan 05-20-2008 09:05 PM

I hope the Bulls take Beasley. Hinrich, Gordon, Deng + Beasley is pretty solid. They need a low post scorer like that. Rose is pretty damn good too, it would be a very tough choice.

Spott 05-20-2008 09:09 PM

I'm satisfied with Hinrich so far at PG and I think if Beasley is as good as you all say he is, then it would only make Hinrich that much better.

Mecca 05-20-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4760617)
actually, no one is saying that....everyone knows that centers are the rarest and most important players.....

but the choice is between a pg and slightly undersized power forward....great pgs are much rarer, there are lots of quality 4's coming out of college....

Some teams have been looking for a quality 4 for years...the Bulls are one of those teams.

the Talking Can 05-20-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4760630)
Some teams have been looking for a quality 4 for years...the Bulls are one of those teams.

they had one in Aldridge....and the fact remains that the quality of 4's coming out is much higher than the quality of pgs....

now, if Beasley were a monster like Stoudamire or Howard, then you draft him....but he isn't

BWillie 05-20-2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan (Post 4760619)
I hope the Bulls take Beasley. Hinrich, Gordon, Deng + Beasley is pretty solid. They need a low post scorer like that. Rose is pretty damn good too, it would be a very tough choice.

I was really disappointing with the Bull's this year. They just fell apart, I don't know what happened. Hinrich had just a horrible season. After last season he looked like he was going to turn into a Deron Williams type of guy. I just don't think Ben Gordon is the answer. I'd trade Ben Gordon for somebody. He is a boneheaded player. He takes the worst shots at the absolute worst times. I'm not questioning his ability, it's there, but when I think of Ben Gordon I think of Jamal Crawford and that ain't going to cut it.

Basileus777 05-20-2008 09:18 PM

There is nothing wrong with the Bulls drafting Beasley. He will improve their team immediately and probably get them back in the playoffs. They have the defensive big men to hide his defensive problems and he will help their offense improve. Its funny that I actually ended up arguing for Rose here when i'd rather have Beasley on my team.

And I think Beasley would be a much better fit on the Heat. Rose and Wade are both slashing guards who can't shoot and need the ball in their hands to play. They don't complement each other well.

the Talking Can 05-20-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 4760639)
There is nothing wrong with the Bulls drafting Beasley. He will improve their team immediately and probably get them back in the playoffs. They have the defensive big men to hide his defensive problems and he will help their offense improve. Its funny that I actually ended up arguing for Rose here when i'd rather have Beasley on my team.

And I think Beasley would be a much better fit on the Heat. Rose and Wade are both slashing guards who can't shoot and need the ball in their hands to play. They don't complement each other well.

Beasley would be a great fit with Wade.....

BWillie 05-20-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 4760628)
I'm satisfied with Hinrich so far at PG and I think if Beasley is as good as you all say he is, then it would only make Hinrich that much better.

Hinrich is the epitome of an average starting NBA point guard. Does everything well, but nothing great. Hopefully he can progress into the upper echelon point guards with Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Andre Miller, Baron Davis, Billups and Deron Williams.

You look at Hinrich's production drop from last year to this year and you just can't make any sense out of it.

2007 16.6 PPG 45% FG's 6.3 APG
2008 11.5 PPG 41% FG's 6.0 APG

Mecca 05-20-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4760636)
they had one in Aldridge....and the fact remains that the quality of 4's coming out is much higher than the quality of pgs....

now, if Beasley were a monster like Stoudamire or Howard, then you draft him....but he isn't

Um Aldridge was never on that team...