ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Whitlock: Blame Moe, Larry and Curly for this Chiefs mess (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=197293)

Mecca 11-24-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 5245644)
I love how one of the excuses for Dorsey's lack of effectiveness is that he "just needs to learn proper technique." It's great to hear that a 1st round draft pick, in (probably) 15 years of playing football, still hasn't mastered that pesky thing called "technique" that oh-so many players at this level lack.

Alot of college players don't have great technique know why? When you can just lineup and physically dominate the person across from you, you don't really need it, to physically dominate in the NFL you have to be such a freak that there aren't words for it because everyone is that good.

Dorsey just needs to get bigger and stronger, he needs alot of weight room work I don't think he saw many 330lb guards at the college level.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-24-2008 01:42 PM

Turk McBride, Tamba Hali, and Bernard Pollard are ****ing awful football players for where they were drafted.

Herm had four total picks in the first two rounds his first two years and missed badly on 3/4.

That's pathetic, especially when there were people all over this board clamoring for Youboty or Simpson in '06 over Pollard , and Kalil over McBride, lest we forget:

"Tamba Hali?? Mother**** You Carl!!"

bobbything 11-24-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5245651)
Alot of college players don't have great technique know why? When you can just lineup and physically dominate the person across from you, you don't really need it, to physically dominate in the NFL you have to be such a freak that there aren't words for it because everyone is that good.

Dorsey just needs to get bigger and stronger, he needs alot of weight room work I don't think he saw many 330lb guards at the college level.

So, you're saying that he has the technique but not the size or strength?

Brock 11-24-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5245652)

This turned out to be correct most likely, especially considering Kiwanuka was taken 10 slots later.

Mecca 11-24-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5245652)
Turk McBride, Tamba Hali, and Bernard Pollard are ****ing awful football players for where they were drafted.

Herm had four total picks in the first two rounds his first two years and missed badly on 3/4.

That's pathetic, especially when there were people all over this board clamoring for Youboty or Simpson in '06 over Pollard , and Kalil over McBride, lest we forget:

Didn't you take some shit for ripping on those picks...actually I think we all did. Ah well atleast alot of us knew it from day one.

Mecca 11-24-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 5245657)
So, you're saying that he has the technique but not the size or strength?

No I'm saying in college he was a physically dominant player in the NFL he's not...he needs to get alot stronger which with an NFL weight program can happen but I question his technique improving with these coaches.

bobbything 11-24-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5245663)
No I'm saying in college he was a physically dominant player in the NFL he's not...he needs to get alot stronger which with an NFL weight program can happen but I question his technique improving with these coaches.

Well, judging from the assessment from people in the media (the so-called draft experts) and the armchair experts in here, Dorsey lacks the size, strength, and technique right now. Which makes me wonder why he was labeled as an "immediate impact" player.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-24-2008 01:49 PM

Dorsey needs better footwork, he needs to stop dropping his head and trying to bullrush through a guy's hips, and he needs to get in better cardiovascular shape.

It would also help if he had a coach who could teach him the fundamentals of how to use your hands instead of slap fighting.

I ****ing hate Tim Krumrie, BTW.

Sure-Oz 11-24-2008 01:52 PM

I loved Tamba's 1 arm attempt at trent edwards heading to the endzone

Mecca 11-24-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5245674)
Dorsey needs better footwork, he needs to stop dropping his head and trying to bullrush through a guy's hips, and he needs to get in better cardiovascular shape.

It would also help if he had a coach who could teach him the fundamentals of how to use your hands instead of slap fighting.

That slap fight drill is real important isn't it?

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-24-2008 01:55 PM

FWIW,

Dorsey's negatives:

Negatives: Has a thick frame and while not sloppy, he does lack solid muscle tone, but does compensate with outstanding initial quickness and lower body strength...While he explodes off the snap, he has just marginal speed to make plays in long pursuit (best when shooting the inside gaps rather than try to make plays on the outside)...Has a strong lower body, but he needs to improve his base (gets narrow in his stance), as blockers have had success getting underneath his pads to lock on and wash him out of the play (see 2007 Tulane, Kentucky and Tennessee, and 2006 Tulane and Mississippi State games)...Must do a better job of planting his foot and anchoring vs. double teams (has good hand placement, but needs to counter better at times)...Best when taking angles or shooting gaps (gets too caught up in the battle when taking on isolated blockers at the point of attack)...Lack of ideal size might limit him to one-gap schemes...Generates good penetration, but for some reason, he fails to seal the deal on the quarterback (has only seven pressures in 51 games)...Does not display an array of pass rush moves, but shows good burst on the bull rush..

Coachable flaws that can't be corrected by someone who can't coach.

OnTheWarpath15 11-24-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5245674)

Which is exactly why I'm not looking to crucify Dorsey, Hali, McBride and Tyler just yet.

Have they disappointed based on their draft position?

Absolutely.

But when the only two constants regarding your starting DL are:

a) All picked in the first 3 rounds;

b) All coached by Tim Krumrie;

Then forgive me for being a little more patient before calling them busts.

We've had ONE defensive lineman have ONE great season in the time Krumrie has been the DL coach.

That speaks volumes, IMO.

Mecca 11-24-2008 01:58 PM

Krumrie had 1 good lineman his entire time in Buffalo too so it fits....

HemiEd 11-24-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 5245071)
I still don't understand why people are ripping on Kuharich. Not his fault that Peterson forced him to build a team entirely on draft picks. He was given no money to spend.

I think Kuharich is doing a good job. I can understand hatred for Peterson and Herm. Kuharich doesn't belong in this equation.

So you like the next GM, interesting, I hope he proves out to be good.

mlyonsd 11-24-2008 03:35 PM

I think there were a bunch of planeteers that used to squawk about how ineffective Kawika Mitchell was. And now he has a ring.

I'm more than willing to give Dorsey next year to become dominant.