ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The Chiefs shouldn't select a QB in the 1st round (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=201360)

BigCatDaddy 01-29-2009 11:44 AM

Sanchez at 3 just doesn't make sense. The Falcons took Ryan at 3 last year and this year we are thinking of taking Sanchez at 3? We need to address the position, but maybe this just isn't the year to do it in round 1. If Stafford falls go for it, but let's not reach for a QB here. Rome wasn't built in a day, there will be other opportunities.

R&GHomer 01-29-2009 11:46 AM

Put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard.

PhillyChiefFan 01-29-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 5437837)
Sanchez at 3 just doesn't make sense. The Falcons took Ryan at 3 last year and this year we are thinking of taking Sanchez at 3? We need to address the position, but maybe this just isn't the year to do it in round 1. If Stafford falls go for it, but let's not reach for a QB here. Rome wasn't built in a day, there will be other opportunities.

I completely agree with you.

I'm not convinced of Sanchez ( I know I'll get blasted for this, but what the hell)

I'd take Stafford, if no Stafford...take a QB but in the 3rd or 4th round.

I just don't see sticking with Sanchez at #3.

I trust Pioli and his influence, if he doesn't believe completely in the player, I dont' think he will allow it with or without HC support.

jspchief 01-29-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcbubb (Post 5437825)
They should be able to move down. Several teams are in need of a wide receiver and I don't see Crabtree lasting #5. The 49ers at pick #10 need both a wideout and possibly a QB. Guess who there leading receiver was last year?

The cost of moving up to #3 is extreme. I just don't feel that Crabtree (or anyone else in this draft) is a guy that a team will mortgage their future for.

PhillyChiefFan 01-29-2009 11:49 AM

Am I just missing something with Sanchez?

BTW, I'm a diehard PSU fan and yes I did see what he did to a good PSU defense in the Rose Bowl.

Was he that good throughout the rest of the season? Honest question.

jspchief 01-29-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 5437856)
Am I just missing something with Sanchez?

BTW, I'm a diehard PSU fan and yes I did see what he did to a good PSU defense in the Rose Bowl.

Was he that good throughout the rest of the season? Honest question.

Based on his body of work, he's good. The one knock is that his body of work consists of a single season, surrounded by a lot of talent.

The Franchise 01-29-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 5437863)
Based on his body of work, he's good. The one knock is that his body of work consists of a single season, surrounded by a lot of talent.

Name the talent on USC's offense.

BigCatDaddy 01-29-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 5437853)
I completely agree with you.

I'm not convinced of Sanchez ( I know I'll get blasted for this, but what the hell)

I'd take Stafford, if no Stafford...take a QB but in the 3rd or 4th round.

I just don't see sticking with Sanchez at #3.

I trust Pioli and his influence, if he doesn't believe completely in the player, I dont' think he will allow it with or without HC support.

The OP has a valid point, but with the Fitzpatrick remark he lost cred with that point.

The Franchise 01-29-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 5437875)
The OP has a valid point, but with the Fitzpatrick remark he lost cred with that point.

What ****ing valid point was that? That he's terrified to draft a QB this year just like half the board is?

Deberg_1990 01-29-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23 (Post 5437877)
That he's terrified to draft a QB ANY year just like half the board is?

FYP

kcbubb 01-29-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23 (Post 5437782)
Lack of QB talent? You can't be ****ing serious. We have a shot to get either Stafford or Sanchez and you want to pass on them because of Fitzpatrick and Thigpen? The stupidity of some people ceases to amaze me.

You could make the same argument for trading down, getting more picks and selecting someone like Everette Brown. You would be passing on a DE with the talent of Brown. He could end being a player like Shawn Merriman. It's a risk either way. No one knows.

The Chiefs had the #13 ranked defense in 2007. They had an old secondary in Ty Law and Surtain. They lost Jared Allen last season. You could make the argument that the Chiefs could have a #13 defense again next season if they hit the bulls eye and drafted a big time defensive end that could replace Jared Allen with the upgrades in the secondary(Carr, Flowers, Leggett).

Deberg_1990 01-29-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcbubb (Post 5437881)
You could make the same argument for trading down, getting more picks and selecting someone like Everette Brown. You would be passing on a DE with the talent of Brown. He could end being a player like Shawn Merriman. It's a risk either way. No one knows.

The Chiefs had the #13 ranked defense in 2007. They had an old secondary in Ty Law and Surtain. They lost Jared Allen last season. You could make the argument that the Chiefs could have a #13 defense again next season if they hit the bulls eye and drafted a big time defensive end that could replace Jared Allen with the upgrades in the secondary(Carr, Flowers, Leggett).

We dont even know who the defensive coaches are going to be, what type of system they are going to run and the types of players that will fit that system.

PhillyChiefFan 01-29-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 5437875)

Yea, I was trying to ignore that part of the post :D

In my mind, Stafford is the pick at #3 if he is there, if not we have plenty of other holes to address.

Sanchez is raw, talented but raw IMHO. We need a QB that could step in and compete right away with Thigpen.

I'm all for getting a franchise QB, very few teams are successful without one, but it seems that those that want Sanchez is reaching for an immediate fix that won't be there.

Wish it would be Stafford and Matt Ryan to choose from this year :)

BigCatDaddy 01-29-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23 (Post 5437877)
What ****ing valid point was that? That he's terrified to draft a QB this year just like half the board is?

That we shouldn't reach based on need. I think half the board is terrified to take Sanchez. If Stafford slips and we take him, you will see a collective CP orgasm. It's isn't the position as much as the player.

That being said, I have confidence that whoever they take this year will be the right choice, which is more then I can say for the last 15 years. If Pioli see's something in Sanchez and thinks he is guy, then great. I'm sure he is a better evaluation of talent then any poster here, Mecca excluded of course....

chiefzilla1501 01-29-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23 (Post 5437736)
We don't HAVE to do shit.

Where do these people get this idea that it's SOOOOOO ****ing easy to trade down out of the top 3. Teams will have to give up a lot of picks to move up...and there has to be someone there who's worth it to them.

Trading out of the top 3 is more difficult than it needs to be because idiot GMs rely on a draft chart to determine trade value. The good news is, we have a GM that won't make that mistake.

Given Pioli's history, if he believes he can get the guy he really wants a little lower in the draft, he will trade out of the #3 pick, even if that means getting slightly less trade value. If Stafford and/or Oher are on board, I don't think it will be difficult to find takers.

I think you could easily trade down and still get Sanchez. Sanchez is the guy I would prefer but I think at #3, it's a huge reach.