ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek Discussion Thread For Those Who Have Seen It - WITH SPOILERS (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207413)

unlurking 05-09-2009 04:55 PM

Almost all of the problems with this film could have been fixed with another 30-45 minutes of run time. Cutting the Klingon prison camp was stupid. Adding another 20-30 minutes for character development would have been great (not alone lessening the impact of all the "coincidences" for everyone to come together). All in all, my biggest issue with the movie is that it just seemed incredibly rushed.

One other thing, I really hated the fact that they turned the Enterprise into a brewery. The scene with all those giant stainless steel kettles really pulled me out of the story.

unlurking 05-09-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5752735)
Those are the same eels that were in Wrath of Khan right?

If they were, how come they didnt make Pike loyal to Nero and his every command like in Khan?

When young Kirk approached Pike, he whipped out a phaser and shot a member of Nero's crew without even blinking.

Kahn's went in the ear, Nero's went in the mouth. More like the ones from probably the worst TNG episode ever. The little play-doh alien things. Which ironically, also took over the host.

Deberg_1990 05-09-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 5752824)
Almost all of the problems with this film could have been fixed with another 30-45 minutes of run time. Cutting the Klingon prison camp was stupid. Adding another 20-30 minutes for character development would have been great (not alone lessening the impact of all the "coincidences" for everyone to come together). All in all, my biggest issue with the movie is that it just seemed incredibly rushed.

One other thing, I really hated the fact that they turned the Enterprise into a brewery. The scene with all those giant stainless steel kettles really pulled me out of the story.

It seems Abrams was concerned with pacing above al else. He really kept the pace up throughout the entire movie.

Ironically, one of my least favorite parts was when old Spock mind melded with young Kirk. That whole scene was one loooooooong explanatory dialogue that probably could have been setup better.

the Talking Can 05-09-2009 05:09 PM

the villain was weak, and easily dispatched with, but the movie was all about reintroducing characters anyways...each character has to get in their iconic lines or behaviors...

i thought the whole old spock in the arctic was basically a big narrative cheat, kind of story for reeruns...he told you how the movie would progress and end..

but so what, it's still just a blockbuster and has to adhere to the explosions and laser quotas....given those restrictions, it was a pretty good flick..the cast was better than i expected..i feared dawson's creek in space

the best part is the cgi, design, and effects....top notch, best space settings since the original star wars....

the next should better, now they can focus on the story

it's wasn't Batman, but it wasn't Transformers either....so kudos

007 05-09-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5752805)
Again, I assume there will be an extended DVD that answers all our questions.

I hope it's about four hours long.

Seems like, lately, that they are shying away from putting all the added content on DVDs anymore. I really hate that too. There is no reason to withhold it.

Adept Havelock 05-09-2009 06:11 PM

Aside from the generic villain, I loved it. A very nice take on an old classic, and a clever way to breathe fresh life into a stale franchise.

That, and they killed off Winona Ryder. :thumb:

Bowser 05-09-2009 07:24 PM

Saw it earlier today. Agree with all about the characters. It's uncanny how all those actors made me believe that they really were the younger models of all the Trek characters. Outstanding casting. Kind of a waste of Bana's talents to reduce him to what Nero's level was, but that is ultra-high nitpickiness there. Great, great movie. I'll probably see it again soon.

OK, I'm going to go mega Trek geek here -

In an episode of Voyager (yes, I really am referencing Voyager here), there was a time ship that came back first to the 24th century from the 30th (31st?) century, and then continues back to the late 20th century, with Voyager in pursuit. In that episode, we learn of the Temporal Prime Directive, and the arm of the Federation that is charged with looking out for the stability of the timeline. Wouldn't the event of the Romulan mining ship going back in time and destroying Vulcan be picked up by the Temporal Patrol people? (And was I the only one that half expected the Enterprise E to show up and fight off Nero at the very end?)

Gravedigger 05-09-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 5752733)
That was my thought also. It was supposed to make him spill the beans about the code, so I didn't think it was supposed to alter his speech.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe it caused him that all he could say from that point on was "I'm relieved.":shrug: I personally don't think that he was necessarily fine when Kirk found him, he looked like he had the plague with his skin color, but the bug was only supposed to make him tell the truth, I dont think the bug was like that other bug from wrath of khan.

Tribal Warfare 05-09-2009 08:59 PM

Thinking about Chris Pine's depiction of Kirk reminds me of how Harrison Ford portrayed Han Solo.

Barret 05-09-2009 09:23 PM

Did anyone else actually like how they finally portrayed this ship as...a Ship? Specifically the engine room. IT isn't this nice carpeted little anti-matter pod in the middle of the room all humming. It looked like an actual ship.

Also I never liked how the ships would swoop around like fighters....IE: insurrection. I got a feeling with this one that there is size and they are "ships of the line" no star fighters.

One reason why I liked Battlestar Galactica. The big ships move like BIG ships.

The_Doctor10 05-09-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike (Post 5750311)
The whole time travel aspect killed the whole story for me and the fact that they trivialized it only did further damage. To a ST outsider like me, it's an enjoyable flick and that's about it.

The best part about the time travel aspect was that it was completely inadvertent. It wasn't like Nero went back in time on purpose; they were sucked into the black hole on opposite sides, and the fact that one emerged on top of the U.S.S. Kelvin and one came out 25 years later was an accident. Meanwhile, Nero had that much time to plan his revenge/lose his mind.

For me, this is still the 3rd best Trek behind First Contact and Wrath of Khan, but it's much much better than Nemesis, Generations or Insurrection.

The only real gripe I have with the film is the score; it wasn't terrible or anything, but this is much poorer than any of Jerry Goldsmith's efforts or James Horner's.

God does it feel good to be able to talk about Star Trek in public again :D Hopefully the film does well enough for Paramount to give us a proper new series. Though that may be asking too much.

Silock 05-09-2009 10:15 PM

I thought it was awesome. Plot holes? Sure. Most movies have them. Great acting, great SFX, great reboot.

Not the best movie EVER, but certainly a kickass start to the summer movie season.

DaneMcCloud 05-09-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unleash_the_Phury (Post 5753465)
God does it feel good to be able to talk about Star Trek in public again :D Hopefully the film does well enough for Paramount to give us a proper new series. Though that may be asking too much.

There are two sequels currently planned

Buehler445 05-09-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5753488)
There are two sequels currently planned

Really? Cool. I'm pretty oblivious to the movie making process. At what point do they 100% commit to it?

DaneMcCloud 05-09-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 5753499)
Really? Cool. I'm pretty oblivious to the movie making process. At what point do they 100% commit to it?

The final point in this case was when the head of the studio (Brad Grey), sees audiences all over the world go absolutely nuts one month before the movie's released. (The x-US premieres).

Plus, Bad Robot has a new deal with Paramount, so unless the movie was a total abortion (which of course, it's not), Paramount was going to order a sequel.

I've been hearing since January that they were going to do at least one sequel (if not two). That made me pretty confident that the movie was going to hit. I kept reassuring people here that it was going to be good (based on my info and knowledge of the script) and I'm glad to hear that people are enjoying it.