ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Cassel and Whitlock = BFF's (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=208215)

HemiEd 05-27-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 5796418)
"Wrong" you say?

I believe I already addressed that.

You stated he emerged when he left, that is wrong. No way can you defend that statement or spin it. He emerged, when Grbac got hurt, end of story.
You stand corrected, and don't for one second pretend you wouldn't trade Kyle Orton for a pair of Cassel's soiled underwear.

raybec 4 05-27-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 5796332)
I don't remember Brady transferring from Michigan when all the Drew Henson crap was going on.

That doesn't count.

Just Passin' By 05-27-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 5796424)
Two years on the bench + two years starting after competing and winning the job.

. .vs. .

One year on the bench + three more years on the bench after losing the job.

Yep, Brady was the anti-Cassel.

Not in the context you were arguing. Again, Brady could have transferred elsewhere, but didn't. That was the point you made that I posted about. Let's not go moving the goalposts here.

orange 05-27-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 5796450)
Not in the context you were arguing. Again, Brady could have transferred elsewhere, but didn't. That was the point you made that I posted about. Let's not go moving the goalposts here.

Yes, EXACTLY in the context I was arguing. Brady and Cassel both went to schools with established QBs and sat on the bench while those established QBs finished their careers. They both then got the opportunity to win the job. Brady won and stayed, Cassel lost and... stayed.

There was NO chance Cassel was going to be the starter over Leinart - he even tried out at other positions. He was content to be the caddy.

orange 05-27-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 5796332)
I don't remember Brady transferring from Michigan when all the Drew Henson crap was going on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 5796448)
That doesn't count.

Of course it doesn't count! Brady BEAT OUT Henson! He started every game! He didn't have to go anywhere for PT!

What the hell don't you get?

Brady = backup -> starter
Cassel = backup -> permanent benchwarmer

orange 05-27-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 5796441)
You stated he emerged when he left, that is wrong. No way can you defend that statement or spin it. He emerged, when Grbac got hurt, end of story.
You stand corrected, and don't for one second pretend you wouldn't trade Kyle Orton for a pair of Cassel's soiled underwear.

I never stated that Gannon emerged at all.

I quoted beach tribe's inaccurate construction.

The point I was making was that Gannon LEFT THE CHIEFS because he didn't accept being a backup.

Now if you want to argue that his eight games off the bench for KC will be remembered over his MVP year with the Raiders by anyone who doesn't have an arrowhead tattooed on his belly, I can only pity you.

ROFL at wanting Cassel.

Just Passin' By 05-27-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 5796466)
Of course it doesn't count! Brady BEAT OUT Henson! He started every game! He didn't have to go anywhere for PT!

What the hell don't you get?

Where "he stayed" is different from "he stayed". Maybe you could explain how staying and competing for the job is different from staying and competing for the job. See, other than you, nobody in the entire universe understands, so you'll be doing us all a favor. Each and every sentient being in the universe will owe you a debt of gratitude.

KcFanInGA 05-27-2009 11:49 AM

Or could it be that Cassel felt loyalty to the teams that selected him, and figured if he worked hard and stayed humble his time would come. I hope now is his time. He's earned it by staying prepared and ready to go when the time comes. The fact he didn't run from a situation is not always a bad thing. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

orange 05-27-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 5796485)
Where "he stayed" is different from "he stayed". Maybe you could explain how staying and competing for the job is different from staying and competing for the job. See, other than you, nobody in the entire universe understands, so you'll be doing us all a favor. Each and every sentient being in the universe will owe you a debt of gratitude.

Everyone understands the difference - except you because you're being deliberately obtuse.

Brady WON THE JOB.
Cassel LOST THE JOB.

Brady got playing time.
Cassel got bench time.

Brady got the ball.
Cassel got the clipboard.

Any more questions?

HemiEd 05-27-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 5796472)

The point I was making was that Gannon LEFT THE CHIEFS because he didn't accept being a backup.

Now if you want to argue that his eight games off the bench for KC will be remembered over his MVP year with the Raiders by anyone who doesn't have an arrowhead tattooed on his belly, I can only pity you.

ROFL at wanting Cassel.

WTF?! Here is your exact quote: "Uhhh Gannon "emerged" when he got sick of riding the Chiefs' bench and went somewhere else where he would PLAY.

Unlike Cassel who's been content on the bench for eight years."

Emerged = beginning = the beginning was when he came off the bench at KC, is that really that hard, or do you just not comprehend the words you use?

You will be pining for Cassel, I have watched Kyle Orten try to beat out Rex Grossman up here for several years. You will day dream about Jake Plummer.

milkman 05-27-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 5796472)

ROFL at wanting Cassel.

So you're laughing at your kid Head Coach, right?

orange 05-27-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcFanInGA (Post 5796487)
Or could it be that Cassel felt loyalty to the teams that selected him, and figured if he worked hard and stayed humble his time would come. I hope now is his time. He's earned it by staying prepared and ready to go when the time comes. The fact he didn't run from a situation is not always a bad thing. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

I accept that. The question was originally put "what does Whitlock have against Cassel for not transferring?" I supplied the answer - Whitlock and many, many more see that as a red flag indicating Cassel isn't competitive.

As for Cassel's time...

He was the beneficiary of a perfect storm, the alignment of Bernard Pollard, Randy Moss, and Josh McDaniels. How many other players in any sport have ever exploded to the tune of $15 million dollars with no resume whatsoever? If that was his plan, he's not a QB, he's a psychic.

orange 05-27-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5796500)
So you're laughing at your kid Head Coach, right?

To the degree that he wanted Cassel, yes.

Of course, he didn't want him enough to actually trade for him - even at the low, low market price of half-a-second-rounder.

orange 05-27-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 5796499)
WTF?! Here is your exact quote: "Uhhh Gannon "emerged" when he got sick of riding the Chiefs' bench and went somewhere else where he would PLAY.

Unlike Cassel who's been content on the bench for eight years."

Emerged = beginning = the beginning was when he came off the bench at KC, is that really that hard, or do you just not comprehend the words you use?

You will be pining for Cassel, I have watched Kyle Orten try to beat out Rex Grossman up here for several years. You will day dream about Jake Plummer.

"emerged" - in quotations = I'm using quoting the other guy's word but I wouldn't use that word myself. This is a standard construction in English writing. Maybe you missed that day at school.

As for the idea that Gannon "emerged" (there it is again) at KC - apparently not enough to keep the starting job over Grbac.

Just Passin' By 05-27-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 5796495)
Everyone understands the difference - except you because you're being deliberately obtuse.

Brady WON THE JOB.
Cassel LOST THE JOB.

Brady got playing time.
Cassel got bench time.

Brady got the ball.
Cassel got the clipboard.

Any more questions?

Yes. Do you actually know anything about Cassel?

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 5796236)
Because Competitors want to play, not warm the bench.

The guy was a pitcher on the USC baseball team and was actually drafted by the A's.

The guy played wherever he needed to in order to play and help the team. In 2001 alone:

Quote:

He appeared in 7 games (Washington, Notre Dame, Arizona, Oregon State, California, UCLA and Utah) as a wide receiver and on special teams; he also played quarterback briefly at California. Overall in 2001, he was 1-of-2 (50.0%) for 5 yards passing, ran for 22 yards on 3 carries (7.3 avg.), caught a 12-yard pass and made a tackle. He did a little bit of everything at California, catching a 12-yard pass as a wide receiver, making a tackle on special teams and, in his first career action at quarterback, hitting 1-of-2 passes for 5 yards and gaining 20 yards on a run. He also gained 4 yards on a reverse at Notre Dame. He won USC's Co-Lifter Award.
http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-...el_matt00.html

This "transfer" issue is just idiotic. Brady thought about transferring while he was at Michigan. Also, even when Brady was a starter, Carr was platooning him with Henson.

I'm not being obtuse. You're simply making a piss poor argument. Carson Palmer seems to get what you do not:

Quote:

WHAT OTHERS SAY: Former USC Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Carson Palmer: "Matt is a perfect representative of the attitude that's needed to play on this team. He could have thrown it in at the beginning of 2001 camp, he could have quit. But he hung in there and started the Cal game at H-back."
To you, a sign of a competitor is to quit competing and to go elsewhere so you don't have to compete. To the vast majority of the world, quitters aren't considered competitors.