ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Birthday Best Beginner Electric Guitar? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=228027)

Huffman83 05-10-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6750476)
Really? Are you telling us that by turning up the gain on your amp, thus inducing a large amount of harmonic distortion, you'll fool the listener into believing that you're a good player, when in actuality, you're not?

LMAO

Please, keep 'em coming!

LMAO

Well you have to admit that whole gain dimed and mids scouped phase of young guitar playing is kind of horrible.

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffman83 (Post 6750482)
Well you have to admit that whole gain dimed and mids scouped phase of young guitar playing is kind of horrible.

But it doesn't cover up the fact that many of those people can't play

FAX 05-10-2010 11:02 PM

Yeah ... although it's true that a lot of guitarists work out riffs on the acoustic (the general rule of thumb is that, if you can knock it out on the acoustic, you can definitely play it on the electric), if it were me, I'd rather my first axe be an electric. If I'm starting out, I'd rather sound like Van Halen than Van Morrison. Besides, electric guitars look cooler.

FAX

Huffman83 05-10-2010 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6750484)
But it doesn't cover up the fact that many of those people can't play

Of course, but you can't deny you get away with sloppy playing w/ a lot more gain.

I'm finding this out now that I've gone from a heavy sounding band to a surf band. Going from High gain Mesa/Marshall set ups to a Fender clean w/ just a hint of overdrive has made me clean up the playing considerably.

petegz28 05-10-2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 6750486)
Yeah ... although it's true that a lot of guitarists work out riffs on the acoustic (the general rule of thumb is that, if you can knock it out on the acoustic, you can definitely play it on the electric), if it were me, I'd rather my first axe be an electric. If I'm starting out, I'd rather sound like Van Halen than Van Morrison. Besides, electric guitars look cooler.

FAX

Well no doubt it looks cooler and sounds cooler. But if someone is to ask me for advice I would have to say the best way to learn is on an acoustic. That's not to say to not buy them an electric as they start to learn.

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffman83 (Post 6750494)
Of course, but you can't deny you get away with sloppy playing w/ a lot more gain.

Not from my standpoint. If someone's a sloppy player, it doesn't matter if they're playing through a Framus Cobra or a '65 Fender Twin.

Sloppy is sloppy.

Quote:

I'm finding this out now that I've gone from a heavy sounding band to a surf band. Going from High gain Mesa/Marshall set ups to a Fender clean w/ just a hint of overdrive has made me clean up the playing considerably.

Well, that's cool! Whatever makes you better player...

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6750500)
Well no doubt it looks cooler and sounds cooler. But if someone is to ask me for advice I would have to say the best way to learn is on an acoustic. That's not to say to not buy them an electric as they start to learn.

And probably 9.5 times out of 10, that kid is going to quit because it's too difficult and doesn't sound like the music they're learning and wanting to emulate.

Unless they're learning campfire songs.

And for the record, it makes absolutely no difference if a player decides to pick up the acoustic guitar later. They're two completely different instruments and it's ridiculous to imply they're the same.

petegz28 05-10-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

It's to the point now it's insane. Don't get me wrong, Zak Wylde is a decent player, but a friend of mine sent me a youtube link of him live and I swear there was so many layers of tone and gain that really it just turned me off of the whole thing. I am all for cranking the gain to 10 and shredding but it seems that these days these guitarists are depending on gear for their sound and not their fingers. If you plugged Zak Wylde into a standard Marshall stack he would probably sound like shit cause he doesn't have the tons upon tons of distortion to get the sound for him. Just my opinion.

petegz28 05-10-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6750503)
And probably 9.5 times out of 10, that kid is going to quit because it's too difficult and doesn't sound like the music they're learning and wanting to emulate.

Unless they're learning campfire songs.

And for the record, it makes absolutely no difference if a player decides to pick up the acoustic guitar later. They're two completely different instruments and it's ridiculous to imply they're the same.

Excuse me? They are both guitars with the same amount of strings and the notes are the same. Yea, you can do a lot more stunt work on an electric. But you get the best fundamentals from playing an acoustic. You'll have better stretcing ability, better ability for chords and your picking will be more solid.

And all I said, Dane, was to take lessons and learn the chords and scales and practice the chords and scales on an acoustic. Then if you want, pick up the electric and apply what you learned and practiced on the acoustic. View it as using a donut on your baseball bat before you get in the batter's box.

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6750511)
It's to the point now it's insane. Don't get me wrong, Zak Wylde is a decent player, but a friend of mine sent me a youtube link of him live and I swear there was so many layers of tone and gain that really it just turned me off of the whole thing. I am all for cranking the gain to 10 and shredding but it seems that these days these guitarists are depending on gear for their sound and not their fingers. If you plugged Zak Wylde into a standard Marshall stack he would probably sound like shit cause he doesn't have the tons upon tons of distortion to get the sound for him. Just my opinion.

You're opinion is of course, incorrect.

I'm not the biggest Zakk fan in the world (for reasons I'm not going to detail in this forum) but having been in the same room with him on a number of occasions, he's not sloppy, whatsoever.

He's boring, redundant and hasn't come up with a cool lick in 22 years, but he can most certainly play.

And he can even play his Epiphone acoustic in which his tech scalloped the fingerboard.

LMAO

Huffman83 05-10-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

He'd sound like Zakk Wylde no matter what you plugged him into. What I don't get is why so many people like his tone. But then again I don't like boosting and I hate stereo chorus sounds....Also I get it, you like pinch harmonics. Cool, that's enough!

Talented guy though.

petegz28 05-10-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6750519)
You're opinion is of course, incorrect.

I'm not the biggest Zakk fan in the world (for reasons I'm not going to detail in this forum) but having been in the same room with him on a number of occasions, he's not sloppy, whatsoever.

He's boring, redundant and hasn't come up with a cool lick in 22 years, but he can most certainly play.

And he can even play his Epiphone acoustic in which his tech scalloped the fingerboard.

LMAO

I don't care what you and Zak did in a room together that turned you off of him. I said he was a decent player.

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6750518)
Excuse me? They are both guitars with the same amount of strings and the notes are the same. Yea, you can do a lot more stunt work on an electric. But you get the best fundamentals from playing an acoustic. You'll have better stretcing ability, better ability for chords and your picking will be more solid.

And all I said, Dane, was to take lessons and learn the chords and scales and practice the chords and scales on an acoustic. Then if you want, pick up the electric and apply what you learned and practiced on the acoustic. View it as using a donut on your baseball bat before you get in the batter's box.

Urine idiot.

Go ahead an play "Stranger Things Have Happened" by the Foo Fighters on your Strat or Les Paul and tell me it's the same instrument.

While they share six strings and possibly the same tuning (unless you've opted for an open or Nashville tuning on either), they're as different as the bass guitar and stand up bass.

But I'm sure that you recommend that anyone wanting to learn bass guitar start with as stand up as well.

LMAO

CosmicPal 05-10-2010 11:27 PM

I started off with an acoustic guitar when I was a kid and then I went to an electric guitar in my teens. The electric drove my parents and the entire family crazy because I did nothing but crank the speakers up in my room.

I learned better with the acoustic because there were no distractions, and as a kid, I focused better on the acoustic.

Sadly, I lost interest in playing all together because I did not come from a musical family and this is one of the most important things for a kid wanting to learn a musical instrument- having a family with strong musical ties, someone to practice with, someone to jam with, learning songs, playing songs together, etc. It's very challenging when you go it alone.

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6750522)
I don't care what you and Zak did in a room together that turned you off of him. I said he was a decent player.

What? NO you did not (and FTR, it wasn't one incident).

Quote:

If you plugged Zak Wylde into a standard Marshall stack he would probably sound like shit cause he doesn't have the tons upon tons of distortion to get the sound for him. Just my opinion.

That's as big an insult as you could possibly hurl upon someone that you've never seen or heard play outside of a record.