ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NFL Sends Videos to All Teams of Legal/Illegal Hits -- and here it is (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=235527)

GloryDayz 10-21-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 7106570)
The difference to me is that I have rarely seen a defensive player get a concussion from a RB lowering their helmet, defensive players aren't considered defenseless, and it's harder to really launch yourself at a defensive player.

I get that it's a violent game. I think they should try to reduce concussions but easier said than done. What I'm tired of is kill shots that take offensive players out of games. If you don't act now, what's to stop a defensive player from taking out a defenseless superstar receiver? Like I said, a $50,000 fine for getting an unfair advantage? Most players would gladly fork over that money.

I'm not sure if an Offensive superstar WR is in any more need of protection than a lowly defensive tackle. Perhaps that lowly defensive linemen should be afforded more protection because he'll need more years to provide for his family. If it's about the player, and not profits, that's a logical argument IMO. hen again, like overpaid RBs, I think the NFL is finding there are a lot fewer super-positions out there than they once thought.

I'm no fan of the kill shot, but I know intimidation is part of the game, and when a WR comes through your box, then dances a jig, I'm not sure that he should remain as cocky the next time he transitions through your AOR again. Even if it's not about attitude, once a players been hit hard, it's hard to just brush it off.

And in this day and ages of the WRs all the calls, and all the rules seem to be slanted their way, those kill shots might be as much out of frustration as the evil that lives in all of us... I predict we'll see a 62-58 game in the next 20 years...

Marcellus 10-21-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 7106622)
I'm not sure if an Offensive superstar WR is in any more need of protection than a lowly defensive tackle. Perhaps that lowly defensive linemen should be afforded more protection because he'll need more years to provide for his family.

You aren't getting the concept of defensless. A D-Lineman is in a battle from the snap, knows what's in front of him etc...Rarely does a D-lineman or O-lineman get concussion because the most common injuries are people rolling up on their legs.

A receiver running a route focused on the ball doesn't necessarily know what's coming and they get smashed high to separate them from the ball. There is a difference.

Dave Lane 10-21-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7106012)
This sucks. I love seeing the kill-shot hits.

I bet Jesus told you to say that.

chiefzilla1501 10-21-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 7106622)
I'm not sure if an Offensive superstar WR is in any more need of protection than a lowly defensive tackle. Perhaps that lowly defensive linemen should be afforded more protection because he'll need more years to provide for his family. If it's about the player, and not profits, that's a logical argument IMO. hen again, like overpaid RBs, I think the NFL is finding there are a lot fewer super-positions out there than they once thought.

I'm no fan of the kill shot, but I know intimidation is part of the game, and when a WR comes through your box, then dances a jig, I'm not sure that he should remain as cocky the next time he transitions through your AOR again. Even if it's not about attitude, once a players been hit hard, it's hard to just brush it off.

And in this day and ages of the WRs all the calls, and all the rules seem to be slanted their way, those kill shots might be as much out of frustration as the evil that lives in all of us... I predict we'll see a 62-58 game in the next 20 years...

Most coaches will tell you that "kill shots" can be avoided with good technique. You can intimidate a receiver without leading with your helmet.

We're talking about an unnecessary technique. And we're talking about a work hazard. These kill shots are leading to long-term brain injuries. And I don't think it's fair that a kill shot can give a guy a concussion, while the guy delivering the hit gets to finish the game.

I think kill shots should be reviewable and that if you're going to knock a player out of the game with an illegal hit, then it's only fair that the defender sit out the rest of the game too. I love hard hits, but I don't think you can claim that we should just forget that 4 guys in just one weekend had concussions for hits that could easily have been avoided.

Norman Einstein 10-21-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bane (Post 7106339)
Yeah but they showed that Ray Lewis hit where he adjusted perfectly.They should suit up and let the best 8-10 LB's/DE's in the league practice on them till they get it right.

After the new rule the hit by Lewis will draw a flag. He is known for his hard hitting tactics, I would almost bet that he already has a target on his back.

ILikeBigTiddys 10-21-2010 10:51 PM

Nice find

Norman Einstein 10-21-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7106444)
I do too. But when I see a guy with his legs hovering and arms hovering while on the ground after one of those shots, I find myself a little ... well... nauseous.

Hovering? Quivering maybe.

What are they going to do in incidents like Byrd had in the game against KC a few years ago? Our QB, Dave Kreig, stepped up and avoided a sandwich between two jets and Byrd was seriously injured. Would the QB get the flag for getting out of the way? I know this is a tragic example but the new rule is pretty much damage control for a league that has taught hard hitting and aggressive behavior for many years.

"The story of his tragic accident and remarkable recovery.

Am I going to be paralyzed?"

That was the question New York Jets defensive lineman Dennis Byrd kept asking the people around him as he lay in an ambulance, unable to move or even feel his limbs, last November 29.

Minutes earlier, the 270-pound lineman had been barreling down the field, intent on sacking the opposing team's quarterback. But just as Byrd lunged, the QB stepped clear. And Byrd slammed instead into 275-pound teammate Scott Mersereau, who was steam-rolling in for the sack from the opposite side. In that tragic second, Byrd hit head-first, shattering a vertebra, one of the 33 bones that make up the spine.

"The hit was deafaning," recalls Byrd. "I remember the feeling of slowly falling to the ground.... I tried to take my helmet off, to unsnap the snaps with my hand, and it ... it just wouldn't work right.... At that point, I began to realize that there wasn't any feeling."

Amnorix 10-22-2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7106051)
I don't know about the players, but you sure are in need of a good bra fitting. Sissy. Don't forget: every girl needs at least one little black dress.

Right, because toughness is defined by a guy parking his fat ass in a chair behind a computer screen and typing about how other people should get killed on the gridiron and how the NFL is turning them all into pussies by not letting them get JACKED UP.

Amnorix 10-22-2010 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 7106430)
I'm sorry, they just made the sport more boring.. I hope the owners counter with open statements of bonus that match monitary fines.

NFL teams are expressly prohibited from paying the fine, or reimbursing the player for paying the fine.

The fine is donated to charity. Obviously, it makes no sense to give rich owners license to have their players generate fines while the more cash poor owners get screwed. Way to go trying to turn the NFL into more like MLB baseball, where the rich owners run the show.

Amnorix 10-22-2010 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7106532)
After watching that I wonder what it was like in NE when they were showing this video and the Merriweather play was shown.

That was probably a bit uncomfortable. That play should warrant suspension. The rest of them were all borderline.

The Meriweather hit was worse than that, because he also tried a kill shot, but missed (barely) on Heap on a TD play earlier in the game. No foul, which was probably the right call, but it did seem the intent was there. Then the kill shot. BB took him out of the game and had a very disgusted look on his face, only putting him back in when Page was hurt later on and there were no other safeties available.

penguinz 10-22-2010 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Einstein (Post 7106920)
After the new rule the hit by Lewis will draw a flag. He is known for his hard hitting tactics, I would almost bet that he already has a target on his back.

I doubt it. While being known as a hard hitter he is also known as being a 'clean' player.

Chiefnj2 10-22-2010 06:51 AM

Unknown Vikings player sums up the video:

http://twitpic.com/2zis58

DaKCMan AP 10-22-2010 07:21 AM

Quote:

Joe Paterno played football in the pre-facemask days, and now he's advocating a return to prevent head injuries.

"I've been saying for 15 years we ought to get rid of the facemask," the Penn State coach said. "Then you go back to shoulder blocking, shoulder tackling, and you wouldn't have all those heroes out there."

Of the facemask, Paterno said its presence turned the helmet into a weapon as players worry less about cracked teeth and broken noses. Instead of tackling with their shoulders, Paterno said, players lead with the helmet.

"Those helmets are so heavy that kids are in the weight room building up their necks and everything else," Paterno said. "The game has changed. It used to be shoulders. Now it's heads."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/n...,2245339.story

Donger 10-22-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 7107150)
Right, because toughness is defined by a guy parking his fat ass in a chair behind a computer screen and typing about how other people should get killed on the gridiron and how the NFL is turning them all into pussies by not letting them get JACKED UP.

LMAO

Sucker.

Lonewolf Ed 10-22-2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7106004)
Is this guy's first language English? He sounds just like George Bush.

No one should 'tempt to hit a disfenseless player, I agree!