ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Adrian Peterson: NFL is like "modern-day slavery" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=242771)

FishingRod 03-16-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 7493714)
Off topic, but it always bothers me when people say that it is a stain on our country as if it wasn't happening all over the world throughout human history. It does suck that it happened anywhere, but it isn't like our country invented the damned institution.

Hey Morphius,
Been a long time.

I understand your point and while we certainly did not invent it, it does Lay a big Fat I’m a hypocrite sign at the doorstep of our founding fathers. Hey, we’re slave owners that want to be free!
Having said that, it is history and no one living had anything to do with it. Paying for the sins of the father just isn’t realistic. Enough time has passed that most “white” people and Most “black” people probably have someone in their family tree involved directly in the ownership of slaves or in their procurement. That makes blaming those alive now a bit complicated. Kinda like the joke of the guy half English and Half Scottish wanting to kick his own ass every time he watches Brave heart.

DJ's left nut 03-16-2011 11:24 AM

I lost my bet.

I figured it would take at least another week before the players started busting out the "shackles and chains..."

And I had T.O. in the pool. I know, it's a cliche pick, but in times of trouble you go with the ol' standbys.

That's the problem with these things. The players have a very easy side to root for and the owners are being complete pricks. However, there are just too many dumb MFers in the NFLPA that open their mouths when they shouldn't and make themselves very very easy to dislike.

C'mon guys - just shut the **** up and let us back your horse. Otherwise I'm just going to have to hope you both get put down on the track...

Chief Faithful 03-16-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishingRod (Post 7493868)
Hey Morphius,
Been a long time.

I understand your point and while we certainly did not invent it, it does Lay a big Fat I’m a hypocrite sign at the doorstep of our founding fathers. Hey, we’re slave owners that want to be free!
Having said that, it is history and no one living had anything to do with it. Paying for the sins of the father just isn’t realistic. Enough time has passed that most “white” people and Most “black” people probably have someone in their family tree involved directly in the ownership of slaves or in their procurement. That makes blaming those alive now a bit complicated. Kinda like the joke of the guy half English and Half Scottish wanting to kick his own ass every time he watches Brave heart.

Our founding fathers were the first to question the institution of slavery, which was the norm everywhere in the world. How are they hypocrites because they were the first to question the norm? In my mind they were progressive in their thinking.

Jaric 03-16-2011 01:28 PM

Was Brad Childress whipping his ass every time he fumbled?

No? Then it's probably not the same thing...

FishingRod 03-16-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Faithful (Post 7494099)
Our founding fathers were the first to question the institution of slavery, which was the norm everywhere in the world. How are they hypocrites because they were the first to question the norm? In my mind they were progressive in their thinking.

I’m the biggest Founding Fathers Homer in the world. I wish just a few members of our present government had a thimbles worth of their intellect but, to give them credit for being the first to discuss outlawing slavery is a bit of a stretch.

A quick serchs brings up a few examples.

6th century BC Cyrus the Great abolishes slavery in Persia

1117 Slavery abolished in Iceland

1214 The Statute of the Town of Korčula (Croatia) abolishes slavery.[5]

1274 Landslova (Land's Law) in Norway mentions only former slaves, which indicates that slavery was abolished in Norway

1315 Louis X, king of France, publishes a decree proclaiming that "France" signifies freedom and that any slave setting foot on the French ground should be freed[6]

1335 Sweden (including Finland at the time) makes slavery illegal.[7]

1416 Republic of Ragusa (modern day Dubrovnik; Croatia) abolished slavery and slave tradin

1588 Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth abolishes slavery[8]

I do understand the situation our FFs faced and why the discussion was put aside for another day but, the idea that slavery might be wrong, was not a new idea.

Rasputin 03-16-2011 02:43 PM

Oreo cookies should be ashamed of them selves to exploit slave Peyton Manning like that with commercials. We should boycott Oreo.

gblowfish 03-16-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 7493539)
Anyone who compares anything or anyone to being like slavery, or the holocaust, or to being a Nazi are just stupid as hell. Have these people never read a history book? JFC... :banghead:

I agree. General rule of thumb: If you, as part of your argument, invoke either a reference to slavery or Hitler, you lose the argument.

BossChief 03-16-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 7493553)
Doesn't some player seem to say this every few years? It never seems to be the guy making league minimums either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaofred (Post 7493619)
It was Warren Sapp that said it a few years ago...

I believe Haynseworth said it too.

RNR 03-16-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 7494548)
I believe Haynseworth said it too.

Warren Sapp was the first I ever heard say that...that is the great thing about sports it never runs out of pampered shitbags~

spida_man23 03-16-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 7493355)
Adrian Peterson took part in a new online reality show called "Double Take" recently and he did some interviews to accompany his appearance.

ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert provided a link to a transcript of an interview Peterson did with Doug Farrar of Yahoosports.com. In the interview, Peterson reportedly referred to the NFL as "modern-day slavery" and that players are getting "robbed."

This was in reference to questions about the NFL lockout. Peterson conducted the interview soon after the players union decertified last week.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...118019104.html

how the hell are they getting robbed? they are ****ing richer then i will ever even dreaming of becoming... how can they not come to an agreement? they all have so much money anyways, do they really need to do all this shit over a few more billion? Well hey, if they haven't came to an agreement in time to have a season next year and tha owners start making a replacement team, im going to go out for it... hahahahaha... what tha **** am i gonna do during football season? watch some other panzy ass sport? **** no...

vailpass 03-16-2011 05:35 PM

They should cut half of AP's foot off.

MahiMike 03-16-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 7493714)
Off topic, but it always bothers me when people say that it is a stain on our country as if it wasn't happening all over the world throughout human history. It does suck that it happened anywhere, but it isn't like our country invented the damned institution.

If it wasn't for slavery, these guys would still be back in a hut in Africa.

Saul Good 03-16-2011 08:48 PM

I kind of see where he's coming from. Slaves came over on ships, wore chains, and lived on plantations.

NFL players sail on yachts, wear diamond chains, and own mansions. There are a lot of parallels.

Also, neither ever learned to read nor write.

J Diddy 03-16-2011 08:52 PM

This has got to have Jimmy the Greek rolling over in his grave....

Shogun 03-16-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7494709)
They should cut half of AP's foot off.

This would also be racist to people with Diabetes