ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports INSANITY Workout – any CP Insanity veterans in here?? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255946)

jspchief 02-09-2012 01:04 AM

Meh, you put that kind of effort into any exercise program and its going to work. It's not about the exercises, its about the amount of effort.

And chances are, if you are really out of shape, you don't have the mental stamina stick to it, regardless of your physical stamina.

007 02-09-2012 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8360314)
Meh, you put that kind of effort into any exercise program and its going to work. It's not about the exercises, its about the amount of effort.

And chances are, if you are really out of shape, you don't have the mental stamina stick to it, regardless of your physical stamina.

Yeah, lets ignore all the success stories out there that prove that statement to be completely wrong.

Kyle DeLexus 02-09-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8360379)
Yeah, lets ignore all the success stories out there that prove that statement to be completely wrong.

He has a point. I'd be willing to bet for every success story there are 10 or more beginners that quit. Of course that is a guess going off of my facebook friends, but I'm sure it's a pretty safe bet.

That's not to say it doesn't work, but his statement is not completely wrong. The real key is to find a physical activity you enjoy and stick with it. If you enjoy Insanity or P90x, then go for it. I'd rather play basketball, box, and golf on the weekend.

Holladay 02-09-2012 02:59 AM

ditto..find something you like. The wife and I have been doing "killer" ping pong. Try running around for an hour whacking a ball. It's a blast!! Better then my rowing machine.

007 02-09-2012 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle DeLexus (Post 8360393)
He has a point. I'd be willing to bet for every success story there are 10 or more beginners that quit. Of course that is a guess going off of my facebook friends, but I'm sure it's a pretty safe bet.

That's not to say it doesn't work, but his statement is not completely wrong. The real key is to find a physical activity you enjoy and stick with it. If you enjoy Insanity or P90x, then go for it. I'd rather play basketball, box, and golf on the weekend.

I don't deny that but his statement really didn't allow for the success stories out there which are also many.

Bearcat 02-09-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8360279)
Thats my problem with workouts. I feel this need to match what they are doing. I really HATE me when I do that. LMAO

You are exactly right about the time issue too. P90x drives me nuts with the hour or longer workouts. I burn out from boredom after I hit 35-40 minutes. I just don't enjoy workouts. Never have. I do them out of necessity only.

Yeah, I got bored of p90x after a couple of months, too... their big thing is "muscle confusion" and workout variety, but it's kind of a joke. One workout is a bunch of different variations of push-ups and pull-ups, the leg workout has a bunch of squat and lunges, yoga is extremely slow and repetitive, and one of the cardio workouts is just a combination of 3 other DVDs.

I've tried getting back into it, but I'm just not passionate about it at all.

Omaha 02-09-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle DeLexus (Post 8360393)

If you aren't lifting, you won't get the same results.

frankotank 02-09-2012 10:03 AM

man there is some great feedback in here. I'm actually getting kinda excited about starting insanity. I have a bowflex and a treadmill and when I'm in my groove they work very well together. I was down to 235 last year but then got sick and lost my mojo. I've always felt the best thing is to get up early in the morning and get it done before going to work....that way I don't have the opportunity to talk myself out of it at the end of the day.
I should be starting sometime next week. Wednesday more than likely (after houseguests leave - they don't need to be anywhere near this horrific experiment!) we get 300 bucks added to our flex spending accounts if we get a physical before end of march, so of course mine is scheduled for......the end of march. be interesting to see how much tankness is gone by then....

mnchiefsguy 02-09-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8360314)

So what would you suggest? Should one just not even try? Just curious.

Lono 02-09-2012 02:16 PM

You guys are inspiring... Several of us teachers are going to start next week before school.

Omaha 02-09-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8360962)
So what would you suggest? Should one just not even try? Just curious.

No. Definitely try it, especially if you're excited about it. Doing something is better than doing nothing. Figure out what you enjoy & what your goals are.

Chiefnj2 02-09-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8359762)
I am hearing conflicting opinions in this thread so I will ask: I have access to both P90X and Insanity (my neighbor has both and said I can borrow them). I am out of shape, low on energy, and about 270 pounds. Both workouts terrify me with how tough they are. But I need to exercise to lose weight and improve my health (I am a diabetic, so I need to lose the belly). Which workout best accomplishes this without killing me? I know neither one of these are going to be easy, and I will be sucking some serious wind for awhile just to make it through.

P90x is largely based on diet as well. If you do it, get your neighbors nutrition books - basically for the first 30 days you are going to eat protein and vegetables.

You'll also need a chin up bar, really good sneakers, and at a minimum exercise bands.

Use very light resistance, nor none for a lot of the exercises your first time around.

You'll see a change if you stick with it, but you'd probably see a change anyway if you go from eating chips on your couch to eating well and doing any exercise to exhaustion for an hour to an hour and a half a day.

Kyle DeLexus 02-09-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 8360608)
If you aren't lifting, you won't get the same results.

I was talking cardio since that's what Insanity is.

donkhater 02-09-2012 06:10 PM

I started Insanity five weeks ago. I'm just about to start the second month. I have mixed feelings.

The good:

I feel my cardio has improved and I do feel stronger. The fit test that they have you do intermittently shows that I am getting in shape. However,

The so- so:

I started out at 207 for a 6', 39-year old and have only dropped about 4 pounds. I don't feel thinner, but I have went down a notch on the old belt. I can't tell the difference in the mirror. Ill wait until the end of the month to compare the before and after pictures.

If you go through the message boards on the BeachBody website, they say things like results are 80% diet and 20% workout. If that's the case, then I feel I've been duped. My diet wasn't (isn't) horrible but I have curtailed portions and eliminated late night eating. I bust it in the workouts and should be seeing better results IMO.

The bad:

It was killing my back. The stretching is WAY too inadequate. For all the core workouts they do, I don't think they are that effective. I've since supplemented it with yoga, extra stretching and the ab ripper X from P90X and it feels better.

All in all, I think maybe I've set myself up to have a big second month by building a little muscle. But we'll see. I'll try to let you all know how it goes.

MrNightly 02-09-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 8359687)
Insanity is just stupid. Real athletes cannot do that work. P90X is the best workout (that's not boot camp related) you'll get.

I've been doing a lot of spin classes at the gym. Matter fact on my way now. Lose weight feel great.

Real Athletes can't do Insanity? Please. Insanity was tough, but hardly impossible. I did it once through, and came back and did it again last summer. It's a good workout, and great for cardio.

It isn't that hard, once you get your cardio up. I highly recommend it for burning some fat and leaning the mid section.