ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Williamson: Center is a snap so far for Rodney Hudson (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260095)

Sorter 06-02-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8654650)
People over value Studebaker in coverage because of a couple of plays in which he just happened to be in the perfect place to make plays on poorly thrown balls, balls that would have been completed without contest from Studebaker when the QB was hit on delivery.

If he had actually been where he was supposed to be in coverage on those plays, the ball hits the ground harmlessly.

I'm not saying he's adequate or average. I'm saying, we could do a lot worse. There simply aren't a ton of OLBs that can cover and rush the passer. Studebaker can't rush the passer, and is meh in coverage. However, he's not ****ing Sabby out there. We'll most likely upgrade that spot next year via the draft. I hope so anyways.

O.city 06-02-2012 10:13 PM

One place I'd really like to have some depth, which we might already have depending on Menzie, is at Safety.

Sorter 06-02-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 8654654)
Of course I did. I'm just talking football and pointing out a quality FA that woked out besides an O-Lineman, which was the post I quoted. Relax.

I'd venture to say plenty of FAs work out. Many don't live up to their contracts, but plenty do.

Cara, I'm relaxed. I know and agree that several FA work out. I think VJ in Tampa is going to be great, along with Meachem (tennessee WO are underrated IMO). I agree with Milkman though, typically the high-money FA don't work out. Either to lack of work ethic, system difficulties, or bad ****ing luck(injuries). It wouldn't suprise me at all to see Mario Williams get hurt and only register 7 sacks for the Bills this year.

milkman 06-02-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 8654656)
:rolleyes:

No, just keeping it real. The point was there are plenty of FAs that do work out.

Out of the hundreds of big name free agent signings since Reggie White to the Packers, there are only about 5 or 6 that have played a significant role in helping a team win a SB.

Sorter 06-02-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8654659)
One place I'd really like to have some depth, which we might already have depending on Menzie, is at Safety.

I might be in the minority, but I love the Menzie pick. Kid can play man, zone, press, blitz, everything you could want in a 3rd safety. Absolutely awesome. People tend to undervalue 3rd safeties and nickel backs, which is ****ing idiocy to me. This is a passing league, in which you need 3 starters at corner or safety. If you don't have that, you're ****ed IMO.

O.city 06-02-2012 10:21 PM

ILB is another scary spot, but if we lose our all pro ILB or OLB or S our defense is gonna be worse anyway.

BossChief 06-02-2012 10:23 PM

I think Williams is another exception...I can definitely see him blow up in Buffalo.

That DL is stacked and opposing teams won't be able to double him as often as they did in Houston.

milkman 06-02-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8654678)
ILB is another scary spot, but if we lose our all pro ILB or OLB or S our defense is gonna be worse anyway.

I think Bobby Greenwood is going to be far better than people expect.

Sorter 06-02-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8654686)
I think Williams is another exception...I can definitely see him blow up in Buffalo.

That DL is stacked and opposing teams won't be able to double him as often as they did in Houston.

Definitely agree. 2 sides to an equation, if you will. He has injury issues, but is provided with enough talent around him to make a more than substantial impact (12+ sacks). I think that he is a boom or bust pick up for buffalo. Just depends on how you fee about Mario's health and overall talent level.

Sorter 06-02-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8654678)

Yup. This was my only reasoning for Kuechly and also my reasoning for Mercilus at OLB. We need legit depth at those positions we can develop into All-pros. Not just starters. If DJ or Tamba goes down, we're probably going to be more ****ed than last year, simply because Berry won't be 100% next year in all likely hood.

BigChiefFan 06-02-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8654665)
Out of the hundreds of big name free agent signings since Reggie White to the Packers, there are only about 5 or 6 that have played a significant role in helping a team win a SB.

Yeah, I tend to agree the big-name FAs are high-risk, high-reward, but some players are so good, if your team is close and an excellent player becomes available, it's worth the risk, in some cases.

Only two teams make it to the SB every year so that doesn't surprise me, but some of the bigger names do help IMPROVE their respected FA teams, which in alot of cases give those teams a better chance of getting to the big dance.

Sorter 06-02-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8654687)
I think Bobby Greenwood is going to be far better than people expect.

I hope so. You're the only person I've seen campaigning him, but i will defer to you on Greenwood. Have literally watched no film of him at all.

milkman 06-02-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8654686)

I firmly believe that a team like Buffalo is wasting money signing a guy like Williams.

They will almost certainly be better with him if he is healthy, but they have little to no chance of even making the playoffs in the AFC.

By the time they can field a team that has a real chance to compete, he will be on the downside of his career.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 8654697)
Yeah, I tend to agree the big-name FAs are high-risk, high-reward, but some players are so good, if your team is close and an excellent player becomes available, it's worth the risk, in some cases.

Only two teams make it to the SB every year so that doesn't surprise me, but some of the bigger names do help IMPROVE their respected FA teams, which in alot of cases give those teams a better chance of getting to the big dance.

I have advocated for years building a competitive team through the draft.

We are a QB away from that team, and at that point I would have no problem with a big name free agent.

I think the real problem is that most teams don't really address their team building with that approach.

They have tried to shortcut the building process through free agency, and that approach has always failed.

Sorter 06-02-2012 11:12 PM

Milkman, any more info/links on greenwood?

Messier 06-02-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8654300)
Took way too long. Richardson should not have seen the field last year. When Pioli came in, this was the weak point of the team. Four years in he's finally got the starters settled. Just hope we don't have any injuries.

I think we can handle an injury or two now.