ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Anyone drive recent model Toyota Tacomas? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260172)

Brock 06-07-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 8666196)
Was that prior to you cashing in for "cash for clunkers?"

I'm not sure, what's that got to do with the shitty quality of Dodges?

Buck 06-07-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 8666189)
Here you go, some facts:

link

BOSTON -

Toyota is hearing from truck owners about frames so badly rusted they can't be repaired nor replaced.

It's a problem Team 5 Investigates first uncovered last year with Tacomas. And now it appears to involve larger model Tundras as well.

Click To Comment |

"The frame is cracked," said Tim Gatzke, owner of a 2000 Toyota Tundra. "And down in the back here, the leaf springs on this side are so corroded that they're broken."

He said the frame on his truck is being eaten away by rust. Driven only 89,000 miles, it no longer holds power steering fluid.

"In order to fix it, you need a power steering rack," Gatzke said. "But the corrosion is so bad, there is nothing for it to get welded back onto the frame."

Gatzke has pretty much stopped driving his truck.

"It's aggressive corrosion that essentially makes the truck unsafe," he said. "I mean, the power steering rack at 70 mph. --- if that were to let go, that could be a really bad accident."

Bob Malone is another Tundra owner with the same complaint.

"You can see the frame rail is just orange with rust," he said.

Read more: http://www.wcvb.com/Team-5-Discovers...#ixzz1x9hjn38f

It's a good thing I live in San Diego and not Boston I guess.

Doubt that my car would ever rust out here.

Otter 06-07-2012 06:18 PM

Been driving one for over a year now and love it. No problems what so ever. I've had my frame treated 2x for rust prevention already. That's something you have to watch but besides that their bullet proof from my experience.

DomerNKC 06-07-2012 06:18 PM

burt can sell you a tacoma in kck.

HemiEd 06-07-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8666206)
I'm not sure, what's that got to do with the shitty quality of Dodges?

Who mentioned Dodge in this thread besides you? My personal experience with them has been excellent, and I have a pretty large sample size being an old grandpa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8666204)
Yeah, I hate GM. So? Any right thinking person SHOULD hate GM. Speaking of big money, it's hilarious to hear you champion GM while whining about taxpayer expense. You are one confused old man.

The confused person is the one that thinks it is a good idea to subsidize a foreign company with tax dollars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8666209)
It's a good thing I live in San Diego and not Boston I guess.

Doubt that my car would ever rust out here.

They have probably fixed the problem by now Buck, the only reason I posted it is due to someone saying they hadn't seen one and Radar said he had.

So I decided to provide some information on what they were talking about.

In Toyota's defense, they stepped up to the plate and took care of people with that problem.

Frosty 06-07-2012 07:08 PM

In 4x4 trim, all of the "small" trucks get shitty enough mileage that you might as well just get a fullsize. There isn't much difference in price either, if you are careful with the option list.

I wish the manufacturers would bring back a true small 4x4 truck that got good mileage. My dad had a diesel Isuzu P'up in the early 80's. It was slower than hell but got in the mid-30's all day long, even four wheelin'. He had several S-10's that also got around 30. You are lucky to break 20 mpg now. :shake:

SAUTO 06-07-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf (Post 8658973)
NASA scientists couldn't find one problem with the electronics in a Toyota. And I've never seen a frame anywhere close to rusted in two.

I think you can find pics somewhere.

Hell I think I saw some here sometime or another.

put truck on lift. Lift front wheels and can, but rear wheels and bed stay on ground.

Lol. I do this shit every day, many cars a year. MANY. trust me on this, I don't need to sound good selling them, do you?
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 06-07-2012 07:52 PM

And I will say I don't dislike any car manufacturer, I make the same money hourly on all of them. I just find it amusing that a SALESMAN says he hasn't seen ANY issues with the cars he sells, which have had issues that were pretty serious in the last few years, but that is a typical salesman.
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy 6 06-07-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 8666380)
And I will say I don't dislike any car manufacturer, I make the same money hourly on all of them. I just find it amusing that a SALESMAN says he hasn't seen ANY issues with the cars he sells, which have had issues that were pretty serious in the last few years, but that is a typical salesman.
Posted via Mobile Device

Personally, i really havent seen that many of them, but the ones i have are in great shape & sell very fast.

Its considered a toy truck, but still the best overall offering from any asian maker, so if you find a good one, it should be a runner for you for a long time.

Tylerthigpen!1! 06-07-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

In toyota's defense, they have stepped up and replaced the vehicles. I think they had a rust problem in the late 90's/early 2000's and put a notice out to the owners. If there was significant rust, then the owners got something like 150% of the KBB excellent value. That alone would sell me on toyota.

dilligaf 06-07-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

My post said rarely. And it's true. I've sold many brands over the years and Honda and Toyota have less problems than the others, in my experience. Has Toyota had problems...yes. Has every brand...yes. But I've never said that Toyotas were flawless.

tredadda 06-07-2012 10:35 PM

I have a 2001 Tacoma that I bought new and it now has over 100,000 miles on it. It still runs like a champ. Best vehicle I ever owned. It is sad I might have to get rid of it though.

morphius 06-07-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 8666223)

The confused person is the one that thinks it is a good idea to subsidize a foreign company with tax dollars.

You mean like Fiat? :D

HemiEd 06-07-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 8666715)
You mean like Fiat? :D

That was a gift, for darn sure. No doubt about it. :mad:

Dr. Johnny Fever 06-07-2012 11:27 PM

I've owned 2 Tacomas. The first caught fire and burned up due to a mechanics error... long story. The second I had to sell after I got divorced and had new debt. Loved them both and will buy one again. Great trucks.