ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Fox 4 Says Two Topeka Cops Shot Dead Tonight (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267742)

Stanley Nickels 12-18-2012 07:25 AM

My buddy covered this for 41 News. Here's the intense footage he got yesterday morning (watch the whole thing): <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oYWiUQ8R5pM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saulbadguy 12-18-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9220344)
Its an area I try to avoid these days. It amazes me to this day that Dillon's closed down other stores but kept that one.

It's the "dirty dillons"

I don't go there very often except if I need to pick up something while at work. Wouldn't go there at night.

WilliamTheIrish 12-18-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 9220336)
Guru, is that a bad part of town now? I lived in Topeka for many years and that area was getting pretty run down when I left, but there were other areas much worse.

It used to be a great area to live. But that was 30+ years ago. That area kind of went under a reverse gentrification. As older homeowners died off, the homes were sold and converted to rentals. That brings in some lower income folks, which draws in other ne'r do wells, and so on and so forth.

That Dillon's is the one they've kept open as courtesy I think. There are som many elderly, disabled, low income folks without transportation, that this dillon's was always pretty vital to them.

But it also became a haven for thugs preying upon those very people who are easy marks. The spread of gangs in the 90's didn't help much.

Ceej 12-18-2012 07:48 AM

The Dillons i live near (29th and Gage) is pretty ghetto.

Can't imagine how bad the other must be.

007 12-18-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9220373)
The Dillons i live near (29th and Gage) is pretty ghetto.

Can't imagine how bad the other must be.

you mean 29th and Oakley.

Saulbadguy 12-18-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamInnerCircle (Post 9220363)
It used to be a great area to live. But that was 30+ years ago. That area kind of went under a reverse gentrification. As older homeowners died off, the homes were sold and converted to rentals. That brings in some lower income folks, which draws in other ne'r do wells, and so on and so forth.

That Dillon's is the one they've kept open as courtesy I think. There are som many elderly, disabled, low income folks without transportation, that this dillon's was always pretty vital to them.

But it also became a haven for thugs preying upon those very people who are easy marks. The spread of gangs in the 90's didn't help much.

Fortunately the area is getting better (IMO), due to the college hill beautification initiative. This is a pretty big setback though.

Ceej 12-18-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9220384)
you mean 29th and Oakley.

You know what I meant.

I live off 29th/Gage.

I hate to be too nosy. But does anyone know Mr. Atherly's wife's name? Has that been disclosed?

mikeyis4dcats. 12-18-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9220050)
Crazy.

I've sold flooring to an Atherly.

Not sure if she is in the Topeka area or not or if there's any relation.

Hoping not.

Probably his mother. She lives next to my in-laws.

mikeyis4dcats. 12-18-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9220514)
You know what I meant.

I live off 29th/Gage.

I hate to be too nosy. But does anyone know Mr. Atherly's wife's name? Has that been disclosed?

I don't, but if the address is on SxxxxN drive, it's the mother.

SLAG 12-18-2012 10:36 PM

The Dillons on 29th and Urish is nice

mikeyis4dcats. 12-18-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 9222910)
The Dillons on 29th and Urish is nice

that's the closest one to our house, but I actually prefer the 21st street store for atmosphere and selection. It is so much brighter than the newer stores.

SLAG 12-18-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9222916)
that's the closest one to our house, but I actually prefer the 21st street store for atmosphere and selection. It is so much brighter than the newer stores.

I miss the original HyperMart - I know it was a wal-mart but it was so much better lol

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka 12-18-2012 10:46 PM

The 29th and Oakley dillons isn't "ghetto". I used to live right down the street and go there all the time. The location where the pos killed the officers on the other hand is a very questionable locale. Efforts to clean the area up but the residents must first take pride in the neighborhood. Unfortunately that's not likely with the majority of the people.

mikeyis4dcats. 12-18-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs_Mike_Topeka (Post 9222929)
The 29th and Oakley dillons isn't "ghetto". I used to live right down the street and go there all the time. The location where the pos killed the officers on the other hand is a very questionable locale. Efforts to clean the area up but the residents must first take pride in the neighborhood. Unfortunately that's not likely with the majority of the people.

yeah, Brookwood isn't ghetto, it's just old and small. That was our store growing up.

oldman 12-18-2012 11:05 PM

That one on 29th and Oakley hasn't always been a Dillons, has it? I remember it being something else. My daughters used to work at the old 21st St. Dillons in high school. Did they close that one?