ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Need some guitar playing advice... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270253)

htismaqe 02-26-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 9441410)
I always let it slide because I can sing, but its just my laziness not doing the work.

I'm exactly the same way.

melbar 02-26-2013 06:21 PM

Im in negotiations with the wife to use the tax return to purchase a new guitar. Been a while and it always lights a fire under my a**! Hard to maintain that practice strategy for long financially!

Mr. Flopnuts 02-26-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9440265)
I used to spend quite a bit of time at it but I never really got "better".

That's why I'm leaning towards lessons - so that when I do spend 2 hours a day on it, I'm learning the RIGHT things.

Like, I can go to the gym and work out and lose weight. But if I consult with a personal trainer and have them put together a routine for me, I'll lose weight twice as fast.

Well, as a guy who lost 185lbs without a trainer or partner, I'd say when you want something bad enough you go figure out how to get it done. :D

Dayze 02-26-2013 07:01 PM

This is a good reference. Can't figure out how to embed frm my iPad

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pSSeaE_B75U&feature=relmfu

htismaqe 02-27-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9442614)
Well, as a guy who lost 185lbs without a trainer or partner, I'd say when you want something bad enough you go figure out how to get it done. :D

You could have lost that weight twice as fast, though. ;)

htismaqe 02-27-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 9442475)
Im in negotiations with the wife to use the tax return to purchase a new guitar. Been a while and it always lights a fire under my a**! Hard to maintain that practice strategy for long financially!

Getting something new always helps.

I can tell a definite improvement in my playing the last couple of months.

I got a Zoom C5.1t controller with Zoom ZFX and I like it so much I want to play 1-2 hours a day.

Lzen 02-27-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over-Head (Post 9437515)

Holy crap! I had a couple of those when I first started out playing guitar. I didn't realize that was still around these days.

Demonpenz 02-28-2013 09:23 PM

Dayze you ever get that electronic drumkit?

headsnap 02-28-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9423735)
Yeah, the problem is that I've been playing for 30 years. I've developed a lot of muscle memory, most of it bad.

I think I need professional 1-on-1 lessons.

before you seek professional help, start practicing permutations... have the guitar with you when you are watching tv, run the permutations up and down the neck, changing the patterns but stick with the alternate picking. Do this 20 minutes to half an hour 4 to 5 nights a week and within a month you will notice a drastic difference in your playing. Like you said it's muscle memory, you have your little lick library, ways your fingers move time after time... permutations will open up your library.

It's not learning scales, you have already learned those at some point in time. It's weird, after starting the permutations about a year ago, the scales are coming to me naturally, the fingers want to travel around the neck more(instead of hanging out in A Pentatonic at the 5th fret!).

pick up that unplugged electric and annoy the wife for a few minutes...

Demonpenz 02-28-2013 09:56 PM

I think it is worth seeking profession human help in person the worst thing is you find out it doesn't work, which is a lesson in itself

headsnap 02-28-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9453014)
I think it is worth seeking profession human help in person the worst thing is you find out it doesn't work, which is a lesson in itself

I'm not saying don't do it, what I am saying is to get into shape before showing up to training camp... ;)

Dayze 03-01-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9452869)
Dayze you ever get that electronic drumkit?

Not yet.
But I got a promotion yesterday that bumps me up 10k a yr. so it's coming very very soon.

Possibly by he end of march. It might even allow me to go up a step in terms of price aNd not be so constrained by cost etc

Lzen 03-01-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsnap (Post 9452980)
before you seek professional help, start practicing permutations... have the guitar with you when you are watching tv, run the permutations up and down the neck, changing the patterns but stick with the alternate picking. Do this 20 minutes to half an hour 4 to 5 nights a week and within a month you will notice a drastic difference in your playing. Like you said it's muscle memory, you have your little lick library, ways your fingers move time after time... permutations will open up your library.

It's not learning scales, you have already learned those at some point in time. It's weird, after starting the permutations about a year ago, the scales are coming to me naturally, the fingers want to travel around the neck more(instead of hanging out in A Pentatonic at the 5th fret!).

pick up that unplugged electric and annoy the wife for a few minutes...

That's good advice. I used to do this back in the days when I was in gigging bands.

htismaqe 03-01-2013 09:04 AM

So what are "permutations" if they aren't scales?

crossbow 03-01-2013 10:31 PM

Get a book that shows you the pentatonic minor scale. Learn that and you have learned 99% of all the scales used in blues, pop, and rock. Also, learn where all of your octaves are on the neck and your range will skyrocket.

I started messing with guitars as a kid in 1962. I played professionaly from 1972 - 1982 until my left ear got damaged by a virus. When I was doing it for a living I played 8 hours a day minimum. Now days I forgot 90% of all those scales and chords but still play sometimes.