ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Fox Fall 2013: Almost Human (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273050)

Tribal Warfare 11-23-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10213374)
I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. It is basically I, Robot without the big computer. But I thought the humor was good and I care about the character. As long as they come up with a decent plot it should be good.

Ghost in the Shell influenced too

keg in kc 11-23-2013 12:42 PM

Watched it last night. Really liked it. Moreso than either SHIELD or Sleepy Hollow. I think it's looking like it could develop into the best purely science fiction show on TV for the last few years.

Buehler445 11-23-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10213562)
Watched it last night. Really liked it. Moreso than either SHIELD or Sleepy Hollow. I think it's looking like it could develop into the best purely science fiction show on TV for the last few years.

Potentially. I'm sure if it heads that way Fox will shitcan it.

keg in kc 11-23-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10213574)
Potentially. I'm sure if it heads that way Fox will shitcan it.

It'll depend on the ratings. It dropped 26% from the pilot to Monday (not a surprise), but it's one of the highest live-plus-seven new shows of the year so far (behind SHIELD, Blacklist, Crazy Ones and Sleepy Hollow).

It keeps that up, and it's fine. Fox doesn't just randomly cancel stuff. They cancel stuff because nobody's watching.

Tribal Warfare 11-26-2013 07:24 PM

It was an OK Die Hard episode the other night

unlurking 11-27-2013 07:55 AM

Basically, but I enjoyed it. Much better than SHIELD or Arrow so far.

What is "live-plus-seven"?

Silock 11-27-2013 08:39 AM

Better than Arrow? You're on crack.

Third episode was boring as ****. Turned it off halfway through. I'll finish it sometime, but it didn't hold my interest at all.

007 11-28-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10228591)

Third episode was boring as ****. Turned it off halfway through. I'll finish it sometime, but it didn't hold my interest at all.

Really? I thought it was better than the first two. Pilot was boring as hell IMO.

unlurking 11-28-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10228591)

I don't see what every loves so much about Arrow. The acting sucks and it just seems cheaply done.

Silock 11-28-2013 10:53 AM

The acting is on par with Almost Human. Arrow doesn't overly rely on special effects, which is nice.

I started the Almost Human episode over and watched the whole thing. It was better on a second viewing. Still a little "meh," but lots of shows that I like haven't always hit the ground running.

Tribal Warfare 11-28-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10230591)
The acting is on par with Almost Human. Arrow doesn't overly rely on special effects, which is nice.

I started the Almost Human episode over and watched the whole thing. It was better on a second viewing. Still a little "meh," but lots of shows that I like haven't always hit the ground running.

Fringe was like this until they found their niche with the alternate dimension instead of the "monster of the week" copied format from the X-Files.

unlurking 11-28-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10230591)

Acting isn't even close. As far as relying on special effects, I'd rather that then being too cheap to afford special effects and constantly relying on darkness. It's like having cheap choreography and shitty combat scene actors, and so having to rely on constant angle changes, darkness, and jittery cameras.

Silock 11-28-2013 03:40 PM

Karl "broodmeister" Urban isn't exactly going to win an Emmy for this. Nor will the captain lady. She's awful. Arrow isn't that badly acted.

Darkness is a part of superheroes.

unlurking 11-29-2013 09:12 AM

I agree Urban is not a guy that comes to mind when discussing great actors, but he's 10 X better than whoever plays Oliver Queen. That said, Ealy is 10 X better than anyone on either show. Never heard of him before, but he's been really good.

I also agree darkness is / can be a part of a superhero's world. However, it seems like every set on Arrow is overly dark to hide something. Even the scenes in daytime offices or other setting where you normally have an abundance of light are dark and moody. It just seems awfully cheap. Don't get me wrong, I love the storyline. It's just missing something. I'm glad Malcom is back. I honestly was ready to stop watching after the last episode. Right up until the end. Now I'll give it a few more weeks at least.

Silock 11-29-2013 09:36 AM

I think Oliver is good, as is Felicity.