ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Fox Fall 2013: Sleepy Hollow (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273051)

Frazod 09-17-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9987067)
Wait, who? The Mexican chick?

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/NFS4/officespace.jpg

Buck 09-17-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9987114)
I think he's referring to Orlando Jones, who is a very good actor.

I thought I was in the Under the Dome thread.

Orlando Jones bothered me too. I've only seen him in comedic roles.

DaneMcCloud 09-17-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9987168)
I thought I was in the Under the Dome thread.

Orlando Jones bothered me too. I've only seen him in comedic roles.

It was certainly different than we're used to but he was good, IMO.

DaneMcCloud 09-17-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9986879)
So...you're saying you're disappointed with their limited creativity and wish they'd done something more like something that's already been done.

I'm not stating that they should have followed the "family narrative" or a side kick and love interest angle. But here's a character in Ichabod that's a British traitor serving under George Washington in the Revolutionary War. There are endless possibilities.

For instance, they found the head way too soon, IMO. Why not make it more of a mystery where Ichabod says something along the lines of "I know who knows where the head lies. George Washington (or Ben Franklin or John Hancock, for that matter)".

Then, they could mix history with the procedural, which would have made it really fun and more "grounded".

IMO, it would sure beat the hell out of witches. Blech.

Frazod 09-17-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9987172)
It was certainly different than we're used to but he was good, IMO.

He just didn't seem to fit the character. I like the lead actors, but he seems out of place. Perhaps he'll grow on me.

Sucks they greased Clancy Brown so quickly - he's one of my favorites. Wouldn't be surprised if they bring him in occasionally for some flashbacky/dream stuff.

This obviously has that Lost stink to it.

DaneMcCloud 09-17-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9987250)
He just didn't seem to fit the character. I like the lead actors, but he seems out of place. Perhaps he'll grow on me.

Sucks they greased Clancy Brown so quickly - he's one of my favorites. Wouldn't be surprised if they bring him in occasionally for some flashbacky/dream stuff.

Yeah, I'm definitely with you on Clancy Brown. I was actually sucked into thinking that he'd finally gotten his own TV show until they got that call.

I'd have rather seen him in the Orlando Jones role (nothing against Jones) because I really enjoy Clancy's acting.

Clancy Brown is a guy that should have a role in Star Wars, IMO.

Raiderhater 09-17-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9987250)

I didn't care for her. It could just be the way they have written that character. Either way, her role dix not impress me.

keg in kc 09-17-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9987188)
I'm not stating that they should have followed the "family narrative" or a side kick and love interest angle. But here's a character in Ichabod that's a British traitor serving under George Washington in the Revolutionary War. There are endless possibilities.

For instance, they found the head way too soon, IMO. Why not make it more of a mystery where Ichabod says something along the lines of "I know who knows where the head lies. George Washington (or Ben Franklin or John Hancock, for that matter)".

Then, they could mix history with the procedural, which would have made it really fun and more "grounded".

IMO, it would sure beat the hell out of witches. Blech.

I'd like to see where it goes before passing judgement about the witches. While witchcraft has never been my 'thing', I actually think that's a fresher take than a national treasure/davinci code adventure would be. But I am admittedly a fan of things with a weirder supernatural take. It sounds like a few of you can't stretch your imagination that far, and that's fine. Different strokes...

I thought it started fine but began to unravel around the half hour mark. There was too much infodump. A lot of writers seem to be losing the old "show, don't tell" addage. There were too many abrupt events, as well. Just as an example, Sulu's ties to the dark side should've been foreshadowed by something more sophisticated than a moustache-twirl of a look. They gave it away in such a hackneyed fashion that there was no tension left when he arrived at his apartment and found the horseman there. Similarly, I thought the Reverend witch just wasn't handled very well. I also thought the editing was a little too schizophrenic for my tastes. I think as a whole there wasn't much in the way of subtlety or sophistication to the pilot. It had all the hallmarks of the downside of the bad robot guys: trying so hard to be cool and edgy that they miss the mark on the common sense stuff.

That said, I enjoyed it and will keep watching. At least until Fox cancels it.

I hope Almost Human's pilot in November is stronger. That one actually is a full bad robot production, sleepy hollow isn't, just orci/kurtzman, but i'm not sure whether that's a positive or a negative at this point.

Buehler445 09-17-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9988181)
I'd like to see where it goes before passing judgement about the witches. While witchcraft has never been my 'thing', I actually think that's a fresher take than a national treasure/davinci code adventure would be. But I am admittedly a fan of things with a weirder supernatural take. It sounds like a few of you can't stretch your imagination that far, and that's fine. Different strokes...

I thought it started fine but began to unravel around the half hour mark. There was too much infodump. A lot of writers seem to be losing the old "show, don't tell" addage. There were too many abrupt events, as well. Just as an example, Sulu's ties to the dark side should've been foreshadowed by something more sophisticated than a moustache-twirl of a look. They gave it away in such a hackneyed fashion that there was no tension left when he arrived at his apartment and found the horseman there. Similarly, I thought the Reverend witch just wasn't handled very well. I also thought the editing was a little too schizophrenic for my tastes. I think as a whole there wasn't much in the way of subtlety or sophistication to the pilot. It had all the hallmarks of the downside of the bad robot guys: trying so hard to be cool and edgy that they miss the mark on the common sense stuff.

I felt like the writers were trying to cram the first season into one episode so they can get to the meat of the plot.

It almost felt like they were trying to grab the audience's attention to avoid the Firefly treatment.

keg in kc 09-17-2013 05:33 PM

Yeah, that's the impression I had as well.

Raiderhater 09-17-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9988181)

I hope Almost Human's pilot in November is stronger. That one actually is a full bad robot production, sleepy hollow isn't, just orci/kurtzman, but i'm not sure whether that's a positive or a negative at this point.

The witch angle has been done to a certain extent with this story before in Tim Burton film. So I wouldn't really call it fresh. And honestly, the aspect of it does not bother me all that much. My biggest issue is with making neck stump into one of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. That is just stretching it too far from the original story for me.

keg in kc 09-17-2013 05:45 PM

I think the only Tim Burton film I've ever watched had Batman in it, so I would have no way of knowing that.

Aries Walker 09-17-2013 05:45 PM

I loved it. I thought the chemistry between the two main characters was fantastic, the concept behind what the Horseman really is was inventive, and the nice touches were nice touches. Certainly better than almost anything on network TV, so I'm in.

But, yeah, I worry that Fox is going to Surprise! cancel it, if for nothing else because it reminds me of New Amsterdam, which I also loved, which also had a lost-in-time main character left over from colonial days paired with an African-American female law officer and solving a big mystery, and it was also on Fox, and it was unceremoniously axed.

No pun intended.

Frazod 09-17-2013 05:56 PM

Fox has been killing good shows forever. I loved Brimstone. Great cast, novel idea, dark, creepy, edgy, whacked.

But Trailer Trash Mommy Swap will get picked up for another season! 4321

keg in kc 09-17-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9988251)
Fox has been killing good shows forever. I loved Brimstone. Great cast, novel idea, dark, creepy, edgy, whacked.

But Trailer Trash Mommy Swap will get picked up for another season! 4321

Brimstone was great. John Glover as the devil? Sign me up.