ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers My new build (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275505)

kaplin42 08-28-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9922554)
To be fair all of these high ends would score that or better in win 8 .

Mine is a win 8 system.

pr_capone 08-28-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9922555)
Mine is a win 8 system.

I "downgraded" to Windows 7. I cannot cope with Windows 8. I ran that abortion of an OS for 6 months and it was terrible.

hometeam 08-28-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9922555)
Mine is a win 8 system.

I know, which is why your index goes higher. These other high end systems would likely score even higher than that, since it goes to 9.9 now. Has to do with how they tally the score, not anything saying win 8 would perform better.

kaplin42 08-28-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9922558)
I "downgraded" to Windows 7. I cannot cope with Windows 8. I ran that abortion of an OS for 6 months and it was terrible.

Win 8 is pretty slick actually. My guess is that you probably didn't like the Metro feature, which admittedly is less than good. But as far as how the OS runs its great and really fast.

jd1020 08-28-2013 11:57 PM

Well, well, well...

Most of my stuff shipped today and my "in stock" processor and cooler from NCIX is apparently on back order.

Gotta love it!

jd1020 08-29-2013 12:00 AM

Isn't Microsoft updating Windows 7 alongside Windows 8 because not many people want to put that touchscreen directed bullshit on their desktop?

That tile shit can DIAF, imo.

kaplin42 08-29-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9922570)
Isn't Microsoft updating Windows 7 alongside Windows 8 because not many people want to put that touchscreen directed bullshit on their desktop?

That tile shit can DIAF, imo.

it's ugly as sin no doubt. But it can be really useful, if you just think of it as a start menu on steroids. But change is hard for people, and this was a dramatic change that was forced on everyone, there is no wonder about the huge backlash from the public about it. But, if you had a touchscreen computer, like say a Surface, the Metro is really easy to use.

But I stand by the OS itself, it is really nice. Also, Windows 8.1 will have the option to revert back to the more traditional desktop theme, and the touchscreen directed bullshit will still be available to those who want it.

Fat Elvis 08-29-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9922763)
it's ugly as sin no doubt. But it can be really useful, if you just think of it as a start menu on steroids. But change is hard for people, and this was a dramatic change that was forced on everyone, there is no wonder about the huge backlash from the public about it. But, if you had a touchscreen computer, like say a Surface, the Metro is really easy to use.

But I stand by the OS itself, it is really nice. Also, Windows 8.1 will have the option to revert back to the more traditional desktop theme, and the touchscreen directed bullshit will still be available to those who want it.

I love Windows 8, and I love the "Metro" UI; it is at once really, really easy to use and at the same time I can dig deeper than I could before. I don't understand why people don't like it. I think it is really intuitive. The new start screen is great; I can put apps/programs I use a lot in groups that are easy to see and navigate. I currently have 75 apps/programs on my start page sorted into groups. It is easier to find one of those apps/programs and launch it than it is to scroll through threads on CP. Seriously. I can't do that with the old Start page. This is with a mouse as well; this isn't with a touchscreen. The search function is awesome as well. The UI is better than any OS out there as far as I'm concerned. The people who don't like the new IU probably didn't take the requisite 5 minutes to figure out how it works; they just either started bitching about it because it is different or heard someone else who they think knows more about computers than they do bitch about and figured that is what they were supposed to do too.

loochy 08-29-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9922778)
The new start screen is great; I can put apps/programs I use a lot in groups that are easy to see and navigate. I currently have 75 apps/programs on my start page sorted into groups. It is easier to find one of those apps/programs and launch it than it is to scroll through threads on CP. Seriously. I can't do that with the old Start page.

You couldn't do that with the old windows?

DaveNull 08-29-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

I currently have 75 apps/programs on my start page sorted into groups. It is easier to find one of those apps/programs and launch it than it is to scroll through threads on CP. Seriously.
Or you could hit the Start button on your keyboard and type the name of the program.

Psyko Tek 08-29-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9905618)
2 generations past your processor and is about 15% faster. I'm coming from a first generation i7 920. I bought it 2 weeks after it was released. This will be a massive upgrade for me at a, roughly, 35% jump from current.

come on give us the cost

Saccopoo 08-31-2013 11:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9920281)

I'm still getting:

On my:

AMD Phenom II 970
Mushkin Blackline 8MB RAM
XFX 6950 XXX Edition
Gigabyte GA990FXA UD3 Motherboard

that I put together exactly two years ago.

I was about to purchase a SSD and two more sticks of the same memory along with the AMD FX-8350 Vishera chip. I was thinking of also bumping up to a 79xx series, but the 6950 is still providing excellent results so I'll hold off on that purchase.

Pants 08-31-2013 04:20 PM

Guys, there are actual benchmarking programs that do these sort of things. The Windows score doesn't say much about how good or bad your computer is.

pr_capone 08-31-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyko Tek (Post 9925319)
come on give us the cost

$1,250 total for all purchased components.

Ming the Merciless 09-01-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9923589)
You couldn't do that with the old windows?

LOL you could do that with DOS