ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers Deleted Facebook Account (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275737)

Omaha 08-30-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 9926833)
So choosing to not have a Facebook account means someone is "too cool?"

Not necessarily.

DaFace 08-30-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9926840)
Fair enough. My friends use fb to organize social activities.

Same here. I've got a close-knit group of friends from high school that I still keep in touch with and see regularly. Way back before Facebook was cool, I started a little tiny message board for us to keep in touch, but the software is now WAY outdated, and Facebook does basically everything it does better with a closed group.

Unfortunately, one guy (out of 5 guys and 4 wives) won't join Facebook, so I still have to check this stupid little message board from time to time just to see if he's posted anything.

Just join the damn thing under a pseudonym and don't "friend" anyone other than those in the group. :cuss:

LoneWolf 08-30-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9926841)
Not necessarily.

Just wasn't clear on the meaning of your statement. I've never had a Facebook account and really have never felt I needed one. I call or text my friends when I need/want to communicate with them. I don't look on others negatively for using Facebook, but it is just not something I need in my life.

NewChief 08-30-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9926837)
My nieces (sisters) like to say they've "hacked" each others' Facebook accounts when one of them forgets to sign off and the other posts as them. I kind of want to slap them for it.

Yeah. Even worse when it's adults saying they're getting hacked by their kids. Seriously? You're barely 40 years old. Computers were around prior to your birth. The internet was accessible when you were in college. You're not 75 years old. Act like you have a ****ing clue. You weren't hacked by your kid, dumbass. And it doesn't make it sound like your kid is clever or smart when you claim they "hacked" you. It makes your whole family look stupid.

Red Gorilla 08-30-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 9926859)
Just wasn't clear on the meaning of your statement. I've never had a Facebook account and really have never felt I needed one. I call or text my friends when I need/want to communicate with them. I don't look on others negatively for using Facebook, but it is just not something I need in my life.

Me too. I'm old fashioned I guess. If I could get away with it, I wouldn't have a cell phone.

vailpass 08-30-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9926868)
Yeah. Even worse when it's adults saying they're getting hacked by their kids. Seriously? You're barely 40 years old. Computers were around prior to your birth. The internet was accessible when you were in college. You're not 75 years old. Act like you have a ****ing clue. You weren't hacked by your kid, dumbass. And it doesn't make it sound like your kid is clever or smart when you claim they "hacked" you. It makes your whole family look stupid.

Damn dude.

Omaha 08-30-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9926855)
Same here. I've got a close-knit group of friends from high school that I still keep in touch with and see regularly. Way back before Facebook was cool, I started a little tiny message board for us to keep in touch, but the software is now WAY outdated, and Facebook does basically everything it does better with a closed group.

Unfortunately, one guy (out of 5 guys and 4 wives) won't join Facebook, so I still have to check this stupid little message board from time to time just to see if he's posted anything.

Just join the damn thing under a pseudonym and don't "friend" anyone other than those in the group. :cuss:

No shit! We have one friend who refuses to get an account & he misses shit every time we forget to send him a special e-mail or call him.

ottawa_chiefs_fan 08-30-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9926794)
'Hacked' is a strong word for obtaining a password. Funny non-techie.

:D

I work in the networking (computer) industry - so i tend to use terms that others use in the "general population" - i have been accused of using terms no one understands and some people get a little put-off - that is mostly in conversation however. Hence the term "hacked" - but yes - someone used a bot that generates passwords and guessed mine.

ottawa_chiefs_fan 08-30-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9926771)
I wouldn't go that far. I've kept in touch with dozens of friends who I probably would have never seen again if it weren't for Facebook. And since we maintain that mild relationship, it doesn't seem awkward to say "Hey, I'm coming to town!" and then meeting up in person.

yes - true - I got out early and did not see any of these benefits - so you are correct.

Strongside 08-30-2013 02:51 PM

Unfortunately I use mine for work, so I can't go this route. Or I would.

Bearcat 08-30-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottawa_chiefs_fan (Post 9926906)
I work in the networking (computer) industry - so i tend to use terms that others use in the "general population" - i have been accused of using terms no one understands and some people get a little put-off - that is mostly in conversation however. Hence the term "hacked" - but yes - someone used a bot that generates passwords and guessed mine.

Gotcha, just giving you shit... and yeah, one of the speakers at a recent company-wide meeting said "one thing we all have in common is that we can't ever explain to family and friends what we do for a living..." ...which is true, so I know the feeling.

kcxiv 08-30-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9926620)
I deleted mine back in 2003 when anyone with an email account could sign-up.

Been just fine without it...

i'd be against it, if friends of friends on facebook didnt get me laid. I cant ever hate that.

Bowser 08-30-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 9926603)
Just deleted my Facebook account that I've had for the better part of the decade.

Final straws were:

-Wife got gas at the local Sonoco and she told me later that day some random dude tried to befriend her on FB. She looked at his profile and he works at the Sonoco station.

-Companies associated with TransUnion/Experian are building credit risk profles based on who your friends are on FB.

-Email from FB yesterday explaining that any/all data submitted on your profile can be used for whatever purpose they desire.

CONS > PROS

<AOL_MAIL_VOICE> Goodbye </AOL_MAIL_VOICE>

But how will all your friends know that you're having a shitty day if you're not on there typing in ALL CAPS FULL OF RAGE mode?

The Franchise 08-30-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9926901)
Damn dude.

Sounds to me like he got hacked.

Halfcan 08-30-2013 03:06 PM

My concern is that the IRS is using Facebook info to start audits. I remember the good old days when the Government had to have a search warrant to access your personal information and credit card accounts.