ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football So What's the Big Deal with the Astrodome? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278391)

ptlyon 11-07-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10167601)
SAVE THE ASTRODOME!

Zactly. It's our Mecca.

Bob Dole 11-07-2013 12:23 PM

Bob Dole went to a high school state championship game there in 1999. The good guys were up 34-0 at the half and Bob Dole yelled at the loser fans across the field so loud that it echoed.

Good times.

otherstar 11-07-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_b_284 (Post 10167582)
? oilers?

Seriously? I've been in Houston since 1995....

Quote:

Just been here a few months. Heading back north for a little hunting trip, some peace and quiet, and a weather reality check later this month.
Cool! I took me several years before I couldn't handle the cold anymore. Moved back to Kansas for a job during the winter of 2008-2009 and moved back because the job sucked, it was too cold in Kansas, and our house down here didn't sell.

otherstar 11-07-2013 12:31 PM

There's some footage of the last two Chiefs playoff wins, including the win over the Oilers in the Astrodome, in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxgEiPaqAlY

Predarat 11-07-2013 01:12 PM

The Astrodome was destroyed on Sunday, January 16, 1994.

bowener 11-07-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 10167201)
The most notable thing about it was they made the roof translucent because they thought they would be able to grow natural grass inside of it. Didn't work out so well though.

I thought I had read that it grew grass just fine, it wasn't until the MLB made them darken the dome so players could see pop flies that it could no longer grow grass.

ptlyon 11-07-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 10167736)
The Astrodome was destroyed on Sunday, January 16, 1994.

Kieth Cash muthafukka!!! :rockon:

whoman69 11-07-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 10167740)
I thought I had read that it grew grass just fine, it wasn't until the MLB made them darken the dome so players could see pop flies that it could no longer grow grass.

from wikipedia

"Originally, the stadium's surface was a Tifway 419 Bermuda grass playing surface specifically bred for indoor use. The dome's ceiling contained numerous semitransparent panes made of Lucite. Players quickly complained that glare coming off of the panes made it hard for them to track fly balls. To solve the problem, two sections of panes were painted white. However, within a few months, the grass died from lack of sunlight.[16] For most of the 1965 season, the Astros played on green-painted dirt and dead grass. The clear panels also added a problem when combined with the natural grass. The grass tended to hold, then release moisture, often resulting in rain within the structure, causing games to be delayed while the grounds crews cleaned up the playing surface."

Frazod 11-07-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 10167750)
from wikipedia

"Originally, the stadium's surface was a Tifway 419 Bermuda grass playing surface specifically bred for indoor use. The dome's ceiling contained numerous semitransparent panes made of Lucite. Players quickly complained that glare coming off of the panes made it hard for them to track fly balls. To solve the problem, two sections of panes were painted white. However, within a few months, the grass died from lack of sunlight.[16] For most of the 1965 season, the Astros played on green-painted dirt and dead grass. The clear panels also added a problem when combined with the natural grass. The grass tended to hold, then release moisture, often resulting in rain within the structure, causing games to be delayed while the grounds crews cleaned up the playing surface."

Wow. Clearly a lot of thought went into that design.

cyberjedi 11-08-2013 02:21 PM

In your face Buddy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5zNNkAtrz8

deltachief 11-10-2013 09:18 AM

I always thought Andre' the Giant was the 8th wonder of the world.

houstonwhodat 11-10-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_b_284 (Post 10167189)
Every night on the Houston local news they refer to the Astrodome as the 8th wonder of the world. Growing up in Kansas City, I have never heard this before. Was it a momentous feat in its time, or are Houstonians just full of themselves? It just looks like a shitty old stadium to me. I vaguely remember the Kingdome being a big deal, maybe in the early 90's, but they tore that down without much fuss.

You know nothing.

The Astrodome WAS the 8th wonder of the world.

But it is outdated and full of asbestos now.

But back in the day it was the best stadium in the world.

Reliant is a much better stadium but has zero character or history.

houstonwhodat 11-10-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10167214)
I know! It's called the ASTRO dome, but when you're inside you can't see the stars! Who are the ad wizards who came up with this one?

It's for the Astro-nauts.

This is home of NASA and mission control dumb ass.

Space City.

houstonwhodat 11-10-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10167318)
Go **** YOURSELF ****HEAD! (Sorry for the profanity but you struck a nerve with me) You have NO IDEA what the Astrodome meant to those of us that grew up in Houston. It was just as symbolic to Houston as the Empire State Building was to New York or the SEARS TOWER, when it was called that was to Chicago (You might get it now). It was an architectural wonder for its day as the first ever domed stadium. It needs to be preserved as a historical building. There are far lesser buildings designated as such all over the country. Problem is it has sat for so long it's going to cost MILLIONS of $$$ to renovate. Folks from out of town who live here that don't understand its significance get to vote , as well as those who ironically don't pay taxes. They're not going to approve any public funding for it. I've always felt that they need to raise PRIVATE $$$ to turn it into something. Let the private sector take over and see what happens. What a concept...

I've had some great times in the Astrodome.

Seen some awesome concerts and motocross races, etc.

houstonwhodat 11-10-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10167424)
If you go to Reliant and look at it across the parking lot it looks small. Like you could almost fit it inside Reliant.

It's not as tall as Reliant because field level is actually 45 feet down.