ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Pro Bowling: Athletes or just an Elite learned skill? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280984)

mikey23545 01-27-2014 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10394723)
So...bowling was too flashy? That was bowling's problem?

It was overtaking soccer in popularity.

Baby Lee 01-27-2014 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10394431)
Its not a sport, its a game.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/C_oOLQi5-is" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 01-27-2014 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10395146)
You know, I actually enjoy seeing those thoroughbreds run. Muscle in motion is a beautiful, god that sounded gay. But seriously ****ing race horses rock.

Wanna see something beautiful, find and watch the first episode of Luck from HBO. Nick Nolte's Walter has a great horse, and the tells the rider to stretch her out a like in practice.

They used tracking shots over the horse's shoulder and film stock, and it's a masterpiece.

crazycoffey 01-27-2014 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 10394241)
any "sport" that has a bar that's accessible to the players during a match is not a sport.

There goes baseball

-King- 01-27-2014 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10394311)
I think it would be more interesting than bowling.

In fact, now that I think about it, I would be much more likely to watch a video game tournament on TV than I would a bowling, golf, or tennis tournament.

Tennis is fun to watch on TV.
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply Red 01-27-2014 07:18 AM

Bowling yes, Nascar, no.

FRCDFED 01-27-2014 07:44 AM

Bowlers are no more athletes than chess players. I once had a teenager tell me that chess was a sport because he was "exercising" his brain. ROFL

It seems that some people categorize an activity that requires some skill as a sport just to help out their own ego. Both are games. Same as golf.

Any activity is going burn calories. That doesn't make you an "athlete."

Bowling is something someone does when their spouse/significant other tells them to get off the couch and go do something. Same as mowing the yard.

Simply Red 01-27-2014 07:52 AM

I think they are due to the usage of the full body and focus on timing.

Those are all athletic things. I would also consider dart throwers athletes. JMO, I can certainly see the argument.

Simply Red 01-27-2014 07:53 AM

CP has some Bowling ass ballers. Wasn't it Pink Floyd that was basically a club pro level bowler?

otherstar 01-27-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 10395319)
I've been bowling finger tip for longer than I'd like to admit, lol. I actually had both my fingers bend backwards a couple of years ago, that was some real pain. Took months before I could throw a ball normal.

When I last bowled, I bowled finger tip (the only way to score well, IMHO). There is an element of conditioning involved that most non-bowlers don't think about and that is the arm/hand/finger strength needed to throw a 16 lb. ball down the lanes for at least three games consistently.

morphius 01-27-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 10395718)
Bowlers are no more athletes than chess players. I once had a teenager tell me that chess was a sport because he was "exercising" his brain. ROFL

It seems that some people categorize an activity that requires some skill as a sport just to help out their own ego. Both are games. Same as golf.

Any activity is going burn calories. That doesn't make you an "athlete."

Bowling is something someone does when their spouse/significant other tells them to get off the couch and go do something. Same as mowing the yard.

Yup, and just because it isn't a sport, doesn't mean that you can't also be athletic or that being athletic doesn't give you an advantage in the game.

htismaqe 01-27-2014 07:56 AM

The word "athlete" comes from the Greek (and Latin via Greek) for "contest" or "competing for prizes".

In that sense, professional bowlers are absolutely athletes.

morphius 01-27-2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otherstar (Post 10395732)
When I last bowled, I bowled finger tip (the only way to score well, IMHO). There is an element of conditioning involved that most non-bowlers don't think about and that is the arm/hand/finger strength needed to throw a 16 lb. ball down the lanes for at least three games consistently.

Yup, and most people don't throw the ball right. Keeping your hand behind the ball and coming up through it is a lot more work than just tossing a ball out there, and it has a huge effect on consistent pin action.

Simply Red 01-27-2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 10395733)
Yup, and just because it isn't a sport, doesn't mean that you can't also be athletic or that being athletic doesn't give you an advantage in the game.

As a reminder - I think I told you - but I have a very unorthodox tennis game - I run around my forehand in order to unleash my one-handed backhand. I hit more winners from my backhand side.

Odd huh? I haven't played in about 3 years :eek:

Jimmya 01-27-2014 08:11 AM

So spelling bee kids are athletes? Awesome