ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink -- Please discuss your kitchen hardware/tools/cooking utensils etc... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284518)

cdcox 06-20-2014 11:46 PM

Wusthof Classic 7 Inch Santoku knife -- my workhorse knife

Revere Ware 12 Qt copper bottom Stock Pot. Best overall pot/pan in the kitchen.

Lodge 12 inch cast iron skillet. Seasoning could be better, but I love this pot.

Carbon steel wok. This was a wedding present: 31 years old. Very well seasoned.

Cuisinart Food processor -- This thing is a champ.

007 06-20-2014 11:48 PM

I hate the kitchen. Cooking is the absolute last thing I want to spend my time doing.

cdcox 06-20-2014 11:48 PM

We bought a ceramic cooktop range last Fall. I hate it. Heat control is horrible. I would rather cook on electric coils, and I'm 100% serious about that.

BucEyedPea 06-20-2014 11:51 PM

For now, since I just came in here to turn puter off

Wusthof Knives
Cuisinart (use it a LOT)
Le Creuset Dutch Oven
Nutribullet
Mango Cutter
Cherry Pitter
Tons of cookie cutters and aspic cutters, leaf shape cutters for pies

Gawd! I'm to tired to think.

BucEyedPea 06-20-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 10706031)
We bought a ceramic cooktop range last Fall. I hate it. Heat control is horrible. I would rather cook on electric coils, and I'm 100% serious about that.

Yeah, I passed on those. Tho' I despise electric cooking. I prefer gas stove--grew up using that and had it in Boston. Much easier to control. Pro chefs prefer gas stoves.

BucEyedPea 06-20-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 10706029)

I want to get a Santoku next. I got my daughter one for Xmas. I have a regular standard chef's knife by Wusthof.

cdcox 06-20-2014 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10706034)
Yeah, I passed on those. Tho' I despise electric cooking. I prefer gas stove--grew up using that and had it in Boston. Much easier to control. Pro chefs prefer gas stoves.

Yeah, gas is far and away the best. Gas isn't an option for me at this point.

Buehler445 06-21-2014 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10705554)
Microwaves are actually very well suited for cooking bacon. Renders the fat due to the liquid content. Doesn't curl as the heat is applied uniformly at the molecular level. If you have a convection/microwave combi-oven that allows things like stainless steel racks to keep the bacon up out of it's grease, it's the perfect solution.

This. Bacon in the microwave owns.

Wife has this deal with channels to hold the bacon up out if the grease. It's awesome. I want bacon all the sudden.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10705905)
I still need some things - that's one - I'd like to get a crock pot for Great Northerns and Chuck Roast (in the winter months)

I still need several items - I will revisit cooking again - once time free's up - I truly think I could enjoy it again - versus it feeling like a chore.

Crock pots Are cheap broseph. Just go get you one. I've got a good crock pot fajita recipe. It doesn't have to be all roasts.

I don't have much cool. Kitchen aid mixer is good.

Wife has this cool apple slicer. You just line it up on the apple over the core, press down and it'll perfectly slice your apple. Pretty damned slick. Not sure the brand. Xoxo maybe?

I never knew how good ice cream scoop was. I'd always used a big spoon. Get an ice cream scoop. I don't eat a lot if ice cream, but it's with the money. Zulus brand

Our pans are ass. It's on the agenda to get some decent ones.

I have a wustof knife set. It's the best steel I've used.

Airware cookie sheets are a must.

I've got some big ass bowls. They're the cheap walmart stuff but they'll hold a pint of farm sweet corn we put up or a big ass salad.

We got some Rubbermaid produce keeper containers. They really help keep produce good longer.

Baby Lee 06-21-2014 12:06 AM

I have an Amana glasstop, haven't had any problems with it. Don't use it a lot because I don't often need all that burner space. MoF, I usually use my induction plate on top of the stove top. But that's a safety thing. Like I said, with induction, the only thing that gets hot is the pot. I do use it for cast iron cooking, which brings me to the drawback which is treating the glass surface with kid's gloves, no scraping the cast iron around the cook surface.

BucEyedPea 06-21-2014 12:07 AM

I don't cook anything in a microwave (save for the popcorn the SO likes) and I don't use any non-stick cookware.

I would love an induction burner tho. Saw one in the thread. Oh! Man I want one of those real bad.

TimBone 06-21-2014 01:35 AM

My wife bought some highfalutin cutting knife from one of her younger cousins for some high school fundraiser. I swore up and down that it'd be a cheap ass knife due to the fact that a school fundraiser was selling it. I was wrong. That thing showed up in the mail, and I ran the blade down my arm to prove my wife wrong....that thing shaved my arm with no force at all. Looked like I had waxed my arm. Wonderful knife. I'll check the brand name tomorrow and post it here.

Also, the blender thread has convinced me that I want a Vitamix, but I'm gonna settle for a Ninja because I'm cheap.

Buehler445 06-21-2014 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 10706029)

Revere Ware 12 Qt copper bottom Stock Pot. Best overall pot/pan in the kitchen.

Lodge 12 inch cast iron skillet. Seasoning could be better, but I love this pot.

Carbon steel wok. This was a wedding present: 31 years old. Very well seasoned.

Cuisinart Food processor -- This thing is a champ.

Season your skillet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10706052)
I don't cook anything in a microwave (save for the popcorn the SO likes) and I don't use any non-stick cookware.

I would love an induction burner tho. Saw one in the thread. Oh! Man I want one of those real bad.

Why no microwave or nonstick?

chiefzilla1501 06-21-2014 02:37 AM

Heat diffuser. Originally bought it to make tagines now I can't imagine cooking anything stovetop on low heat without it

nstygma 06-21-2014 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10706051)
I have an Amana glasstop, haven't had any problems with it. Don't use it a lot because I don't often need all that burner space. MoF, I usually use my induction plate on top of the stove top. But that's a safety thing. Like I said, with induction, the only thing that gets hot is the pot. I do use it for cast iron cooking, which brings me to the drawback which is treating the glass surface with kid's gloves, no scraping the cast iron around the cook surface.

I also have an induction cook top. I use cast iron and a thin steel wok. I'm unsatisfied though. The induction cook top does not heat evenly, only in a ring pattern. Any tips to get a good even heat? I purchased the thick cast iron thinking it would help a little but it didn't.

chiefzilla1501 06-21-2014 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 10706099)
I also have an induction cook top. I use cast iron and a thin steel wok. I'm unsatisfied though. The induction cook top does not heat evenly, only in a ring pattern. Any tips to get a good even heat? I purchased the thick cast iron thinking it would help a little but it didn't.

Buy a heat diffuser and put it on your stovetop