ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Mark Cuban: 'Horrible' state of college basketball hurting NBA (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291795)

007 04-09-2015 04:02 PM

I'm getting to where I can't stand watching the college game and its because of the NBA.

Kidd Lex 04-09-2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 11427523)
Non NCAA tournament college basketball is almost unwatchable, in my opinion.

Agree, the nba has become a great product and better even to this die hard Kansas fan who doesn't have an nba team

kcxiv 04-09-2015 05:39 PM

im not a fan of college BB myself. Ill watch the tail end of the tournament though. I totally agree, the passing the ball to 2 guys behind the 3 point line until the clock winds down is ****ing boring.

ChiliConCarnage 04-09-2015 06:19 PM

Watching the Spurs pass the ball around in last years finals was beautiful

I think the 3pt line is an obvious one. It does so many beneficial things. Makes the 3 less efficient, the mid-range 2 less of a terrible shot, opens up the court a bit.

I'm not sure the shot clock is really a problem but more a victim of that fact teams can't find good looks to take on a lot of possessions.

I think they call the moving screen in a truly bizarre way. To me, it should be similar to charging. Were you holding your position or moving into the other players path? Yet a guy will set a legal screen, the defender will jump right side to take away the three, the defender will go to roll left (without obstructing the defensive player) towards the basket and they call it.

chiefzilla1501 04-09-2015 06:32 PM

Anyone who doesn't enjoy the modern NBA is stuck in the wrong decade. NBA has been excellent the past few years. Better defense, far more ball movement, big guys who space the floor vs. in the past where they soaked up the paint. And the last few playoffs have been outstanding.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-09-2015 06:44 PM

College basketball is an absolutely horrific product.

And while Cuban is a bloviating douche, but he's right about this one. The NBA is a tremendous product and has gotten far, far better over the last 20 years, while college basketball has progressively declined in quality.

The college shot clock should be 24, the timeline should be eight seconds without a reset on a timeout, and the three point line should be moved back to 22 feet in the corners and 23'9" at the top of the key, same as the NBA.

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-09-2015 06:53 PM

Right or wrong, I like this man's style.

Psyko Tek 04-09-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 11427021)
Much more skilled, better shooters, pace of play indefinitely better, defense still sucks

this is for all Professional sports, most people want the 5 head throwing for 6 touchdowns, me I want a defensive game without the arena league shit
HERM WAS RIGHT
jebus I am so flamed now

Deberg_1990 04-09-2015 08:02 PM

The NBA has a very entertaining product.

But over half the league has a losing record. They dont have enough talent to field 30 teams, and thats even with the game becoming more international now.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-09-2015 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11428126)
The NBA has a very entertaining product.

But over half the league has a losing record. They dont have enough talent to field 30 teams, and thats even with the game becoming more international now.

There is more talent in the NBA now than there has ever been. The number of losing teams isn't really all that relevant to an absence of talent but the fact that some teams are just much, much better at constructing their rosters than others.

notorious 04-09-2015 08:25 PM

The NBA is loaded with talent.

Prison Bitch 04-09-2015 08:30 PM

As someone who watches a metric ton of college hoops, I think a lot of these suggestions are absolutely terrible. Reducing a shot clock to 30 is fine, but 24? You'll see bad possessions constantly. Putting the 3-point line out further is an even worse idea because 3pt % isn't that high right now (35% ish?) and if it's moved back NOBODY will go out to guard it. It'll be even more packed than it is today.

A couple simple fixes:

(1) reduce TO from 5 to 2 per half. These egomaniac coaches don't need any more micro-managing and idle hands are the devil's playthings. You get 5 breaks anyway, talk to them then.
(2) No TO when the ball is in play. Get trapped? Find a way out.
(3) 1 review per half, like the NFL coaches' challenge.
(4) Eliminate the ability to foul under 10 seconds up 3. It's the most exciting play in the game and douchebags always foul with 5 seconds to kill any thrill. Foul under 10 and it's 2-shots and the ball.

Saul Good 04-09-2015 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11428167)
As someone who watches a metric ton of college hoops, I think a lot of these suggestions are absolutely terrible. Reducing a shot clock to 30 is fine, but 24? You'll see bad possessions constantly. Putting the 3-point line out further is an even worse idea because 3pt % isn't that high right now (35% ish?) and if it's moved back NOBODY will go out to guard it. It'll be even more packed than it is today.

A couple simple fixes:

(1) reduce TO from 5 to 2 per half. These egomaniac coaches don't need any more micro-managing and idle hands are the devil's playthings. You get 5 breaks anyway, talk to them then.
(2) No TO when the ball is in play. Get trapped? Find a way out.
(3) 1 review per half, like the NFL coaches' challenge.
(4) Eliminate the ability to foul under 10 seconds up 3. It's the most exciting play in the game and douchebags always foul with 5 seconds to kill any thrill. Foul under 10 and it's 2-shots and the ball.

Agree with everything except 4. That's a terrible idea.

Replace that with: call intentional fouls when teams foul intentionally late in the game. There is nothing is sports worse than the foulfests at the end of games.

Buehler445 04-09-2015 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11428033)
College basketball is an absolutely horrific product.

And while Cuban is a bloviating douche, but he's right about this one. The NBA is a tremendous product and has gotten far, far better over the last 20 years, while college basketball has progressively declined in quality.

The college shot clock should be 24, the timeline should be eight seconds without a reset on a timeout, and the three point line should be moved back to 22 feet in the corners and 23'9" at the top of the key, same as the NBA.

:24 is too short. There isn't the skill to operate an offense in the NCAA, particularly if a full court press is applied. You'll see more junk shots than you do now.

:30, yes. I really wish teams would get back to running some motion.

Saul Good 04-09-2015 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11428260)
:24 is too short. There isn't the skill to operate an offense in the NCAA, particularly if a full court press is applied. You'll see more junk shots than you do now.

On the one hand, you're probably right. On the other hand, it will lead to more teams pressing, and I think that's great for the sport. Pressing is exciting, and it's uniquely college basketball...like the option used to be in football. I would like to see more teams press, but the current rules discourage it.