ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Wet Shaving (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=292154)

Eleazar 04-29-2015 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otherstar (Post 11465380)
Exactly! I haven't spent money on DE blades in about 4 years (I got 300 blades...and a blade lasts me about a week).

Straight razor shaving wasn't too hard to learn, after using a DE for a long time. You have to be really careful with blade angle and pressure (you want no pressure, or you will cut yourself, and I mean cut, not nick), but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. I recommend starting slow and only shaving part of your face, and slowly expanding how much you shave. The guys at the The Straight Razor Place forum were extremely helpful.

I use a DE razor on both my neck and my head, and I don't see how I could do both with a straight razor, so I'll probably stick with the DE. I think it's cool that those things last a lifetime and can be handed down, that's awesome.

MahiMike 04-29-2015 09:18 AM

I shave my head and beard in the bathtub.

otherstar 04-29-2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 11465533)
I use a DE razor on both my neck and my head, and I don't see how I could do both with a straight razor, so I'll probably stick with the DE. I think it's cool that those things last a lifetime and can be handed down, that's awesome.

I shave a part of my head (the front, there are just a few hairs left) with a DE, but I do my face and neck with a straight. DEs can be handed on as well. The first DE I got was a 1954 Gilette Superspeed that belonged to my grandfather...who got it new in 1954!

DaneMcCloud 04-29-2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 11463160)
I have a weird, hybrid system. I use an electric razor Tue-Friday mornings. Basically lay in bed and shave. It does a perfectly reasonable job. I typically skip shaving on Sat/Sun, and then on Monday I shave with a Sensor (the 2 blade one). None of that ridiculous five razor crap for me -- seriously why does anyone spend the money on that?? The 2 blades do a good job, and I've learned that using a blade at least once a week reduces ingrowns.

Works very well, and costs very little since I use a disposable blade once a week.

I've been shaving in the shower for more than a decade - no mirror necessary here - and use the Mach 3 disposable blades. I had used the Mach 3 or whatever "system", where I replaced the blade every week or so but the handle would get to damaged by the hard water after a few months, it became more cost effective to use disposables.

I've never had an ingrown hair, thankfully. That must be painful.

Baby Lee 07-20-2016 12:43 PM

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36791928

TRR 07-20-2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 11463247)
Merkur #34C
Vulfix 600 brush ("super badger")
Feather "New High Stainless"
Soap, etc. - Taylor of Old Bond Street.

Love the Feather blades. Reviews will scare you off with tales of how sharp they are but pay them no mind. They are sharp but I've rarely cut myself. If you haven't shaved with Feather blades, give them a try ASAP.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-20-2016 04:10 PM

You guys Neckbeards that are straight razoring?

Buzz 07-20-2016 10:14 PM

I was using disposable blades until I got a Schick Hydro in one of those men's smell good gift boxes with the deodorant etc for Christmas. I loved the shave after using it and when I ran out of blades I found them on ebay and bought 8 blades for $13.00. One blade is lasting about 2 months, I was spending more than that on disposable. I'm going to try that sharpening on denim trick and see what happens.

Frosty 07-21-2016 07:00 AM

I have to use an electric. I recently got a Philips Norelco razor that I could use in the shower with shaving gel. That makes all the difference in the world. A nice close shave with no razor burn.My old razor would make my face itch like mad after a shave, especially if it had been a day or two since the last shave.

vailpass 07-21-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 12325270)
You guys Neckbeards that are straight razoring?

Right? I shave in the shower takes 2 minutes. Been using the Shave Club blades for a year or so and they work great.

Beef Supreme 07-21-2016 12:18 PM

Vailpass had puberty, but it cleared right up.

vailpass 07-21-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 12326553)
Vailpass had puberty, but it cleared right up.

:D

Nah, I just live in 2016. If others want to shave like my grandfather did that's totally cool with me.

Maybe you can pull the ring top off a nice cold beer when you're finished. (that sounds kinda good now that I type it.)

MahiMike 07-22-2016 07:11 AM

I shave wet every day. In the shower or tub.

bobbymitch 07-22-2016 04:37 PM

Hmmm, never thought of shaving as an art. More of an occasional necessity, like taking a dump. But then, I don't have a lot of facial hair either.

GloryDayz 07-22-2016 05:23 PM

I shave in the shower. It's the only way to go IMO. Gillette Sensor Excel, or Schick Hydro 5..