ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   More Direct TV ranting (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98309)

Valiant 09-12-2004 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazarus
i imagine as part of the contract with the NFL, directv had to agree to a few things.

1. not show that are blacked out

2. not show games that are on the other major networks at the same time.

the NFL has 2 contracts ... one with directv and one with the big networks.... they had to balance the conflict.

blackouts i understand...

but the quality of satellite picture to most local channels is night and day... That is why if you are paying to get all nfl games, you should get all the nfl games(not counting blackouts)...

Valiant 09-12-2004 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herzig
Same problem here. They keep saying that my area will receive locals by the end of 2004, but hell...that could be December. They offered to refund all of my Sunday ticket money...I have a week to decide on that. I can pick up ABC and NBC fine with rabbit ears, but CBS and FOX don't come in at all or so snowy that you can't really see what is going on. They put in a waiver to those networks so I can get the EAST-WEST networks, and I told them that I'm in a mountainous area that really affects reception...so we'll see.

At this point, I'm so pissed that I think I may go ahead and take the refund. This is first year of four that I've had that happen.

that really, really sucks for you...that is why i think that is crap... most local channels suck for reception...

Valiant 09-12-2004 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
I'm not sure but I'm guessing CBS and/or Fox bitched about it. CBS (and the others) sell advertising based on the number of eyeballs in that area. If someone else invades that area, it cuts the number of eyeballs and the advertisers bitch they aren't getting what they paid for. So the networks went to congress and got protective laws passed.

that makes sense... As a fan though, it is total and utter bullshit...

Craash 09-12-2004 03:06 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure but I'm guessing CBS and/or Fox bitched about it. CBS (and the others) sell advertising based on the number of eyeballs in that area. If someone else invades that area, it cuts the number of eyeballs and the advertisers bitch they aren't getting what they paid for. So the networks went to congress and got protective laws passed.

Skip,

What laws got passed? To my knowledge it's just a Directv policy change in reaction to preasure from the big three stations, and the nfl. I'm aware of no new laws and would apprecate any link you could provide.

Nelson Muntz 09-12-2004 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herzig
Same problem here. They keep saying that my area will receive locals by the end of 2004, but hell...that could be December. They offered to refund all of my Sunday ticket money...I have a week to decide on that. I can pick up ABC and NBC fine with rabbit ears, but CBS and FOX don't come in at all or so snowy that you can't really see what is going on. They put in a waiver to those networks so I can get the EAST-WEST networks, and I told them that I'm in a mountainous area that really affects reception...so we'll see.

At this point, I'm so pissed that I think I may go ahead and take the refund. This is first year of four that I've had that happen.

On my local channels I can get CBS and ABC, but not Fox or NBC. The thing that gets me is I can't get Fox at all, not even snowy yet I can get CBS clearly and the damn stations and towers are at the same damn building. What the hell is up with that?

Skip Towne 09-12-2004 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craash
Skip,

What laws got passed? To my knowledge it's just a Directv policy change in reaction to preasure from the big three stations, and the nfl. I'm aware of no new laws and would apprecate any link you could provide.

There have been laws in place for quite awhile. I think they were updated and modified in the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

Skip Towne 09-12-2004 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slim_Shady
On my local channels I can get CBS and ABC, but not Fox or NBC. The thing that gets me is I can't get Fox at all, not even snowy yet I can get CBS clearly and the damn stations and towers are at the same damn building. What the hell is up with that?

Television stations have differing amounts of power. Fox is probably low power.

Nelson Muntz 09-12-2004 04:16 PM

Quote:

Television stations have differing amounts of power. Fox is probably low power.

Yeah I understand that but its only 15 miles at the very most from my house and I can't pick up anything. Static is all I get.

unlurking 09-12-2004 04:25 PM

Is your TV on the right channel? Is your TV set for antenna or cable?

lol

Bwana 09-12-2004 04:26 PM

Bastards! I just had the Vikings/Plowboys game on the dish and just before halftime, ZAP, history. I can pick it up on my local FOX station, but the picture blows. Fuggen Cockroaches. :shake:

JimNasium 09-12-2004 04:27 PM

I wouldn't be pissed about this if they would get my local channels on DTV. This "Coming in 2004" bullshit is getting really old.

KChiefs1 09-12-2004 05:13 PM

Not to get the HD argument started again, but channels 90-99 are where the HD games are located!

Skip Towne 09-12-2004 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slim_Shady
Yeah I understand that but its only 15 miles at the very most from my house and I can't pick up anything. Static is all I get.

I think you have your TV set in the wrong mode. If it is set for "cable" change it to off air. And vice versa. I can't remember which way it is. If it is in the wrong mode it won't pick up anything higher than ch. 13.

DenverChief 09-12-2004 05:43 PM

Quote:

There have been laws in place for quite awhile. I think they were updated and modified in the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

Exactly, this has nothing to do with direct tv, write your congressman.....

Skip Towne 09-12-2004 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium
I wouldn't be pissed about this if they would get my local channels on DTV. This "Coming in 2004" bullshit is getting really old.

They are saying October. If the current plans hold you will need another dish in addition to the one you have. They will give it to you and install it free.