ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Dexter (Showtime) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=150271)

Buck 08-25-2010 08:20 PM

Holy shit guys. I bought the first 3 seasons on Amazon and got them like last Thursday or Friday and I'm already up to season 3 episode 10 (Dexter just got kidnapped).

I enjoyed it so much by last Saturday that I went to Best Buy and bought season 4. I should be completely caught up by Friday. Good shit.

PS I think Deb has a horse face.

Lex Luthor 08-25-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6954964)
PS I think Deb has a horse face.

Apparently Michael C. Hall disagrees. He married her.

Buck 08-25-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 6954985)
Apparently Michael C. Hall disagrees. He married her.

Yeah I know.

Buck 08-29-2010 06:56 PM

Just finished season 4.

Unfortunately somebody spoiled me on the big reveal at the very end of the season, so I knew it was coming. It was still a good season, but it didn't excite me as much as it should have since I knew the endgame the whole time.

irishjayhawk 08-29-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6963274)
Just finished season 4.

Unfortunately somebody spoiled me on the big reveal at the very end of the season, so I knew it was coming. It was still a good season, but it didn't excite me as much as it should have since I knew the endgame the whole time.

Man, the ending episode was epic. Too bad you lost that bit of lore.

Buck 08-29-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6963324)
Man, the ending episode was epic. Too bad you lost that bit of lore.

Yup. Pisses me off that I spent $40 on the blu-ray and half way through the season someone spoils it for me....

I just saw the trailer for season 5. I really hope they don't drag it out too long. This should be the last season, seems like the perfect spot for an ending, with Dexter receiving more scrutiny than he ever has.

One thing I am annoyed about is that every season, Dexter has killed the bad guy at the end of the season, like clockwork. Its a bit predictable.

irishjayhawk 08-29-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6963331)
Yup. Pisses me off that I spent $40 on the blu-ray and half way through the season someone spoils it for me....

I just saw the trailer for season 5. I really hope they don't drag it out too long. This should be the last season, seems like the perfect spot for an ending, with Dexter receiving more scrutiny than he ever has.

One thing I am annoyed about is that every season, Dexter has killed the bad guy at the end of the season, like clockwork. Its a bit predictable.

If he didn't, he'd be found out....

I'm wondering if it will be. The books continue on, afaik.

Chiefs Rool 08-29-2010 09:05 PM

I prefer to see a show jump the shark before I say it should be the last season. I just can't let go that easily...

Lzen 08-30-2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6963331)

Spoiler!

Lzen 08-31-2010 07:35 PM

Just watched the Thanksgiving at Arthur's house. Holy shit! Didn't see that coming.

KcMizzou 08-31-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6968066)
Just watched the Thanksgiving at Arthur's house. Holy shit! Didn't see that coming.

That was pretty intense. I just recently caught up myself. You're watching a great season.

Ebolapox 08-31-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6968066)

the third disc of season four was ****ing explosive.

Buck 08-31-2010 07:44 PM

Yeah, John Lithgow won an emmy for his performance as Arthur. He's great.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-31-2010 07:49 PM

When I heard he was going to be the main villian last season, I figured it was going to be a great season....It exceeded my expectations.

Buck 08-31-2010 07:50 PM

Just seeing the trailer for season 5, I think it will be the best season.

okcchief 09-02-2010 12:47 AM

I'm pretty sure I saw they were green lighted for six seasons. I would think that would be it.

Lzen 09-02-2010 07:37 AM

I think I'm gonna have to break down and order Showtime.

KC Dan 09-02-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6970876)
I think I'm gonna have to break down and order Showtime.

unfortunately, all of the movies generally suck azz on Showtime. Some of the series especially Dexter are outstanding. Just don't expect good movie watching

Lzen 09-02-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Dan (Post 6970887)
unfortunately, all of the movies generally suck azz on Showtime. Some of the series especially Dexter are outstanding. Just don't expect good movie watching

Understood. I never really had an interest in ordering any of those movie channels. Netflix works just fine for me. But just for Dexter, I am going to order Showtime.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-26-2010 08:24 AM

Season 5 begins tonight.

SLAG 09-26-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 7036753)
Season 5 begins tonight.

I can't F'n Wait

Fire Me Boy! 09-26-2010 01:12 PM

Great show. Love it.

dpg4zombie 09-27-2010 10:07 AM

Dexter somehow got a lot darker!

Buck 09-27-2010 06:37 PM

If you notice, he's wearing a wig because this was filmed while he was bald because of his chemotherapy.

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-27-2010 11:16 PM

I thought he kind of overplayed his role in the first episode. It almost reminded me of Stallone in Rocky II, playing him as if he was a reerun.

Dexter always has that flat affect, but he's a little more deceptively intelligent than that. I realize that you can say it's because of the shock and loss, and maybe it was, but relative to his character in the past, he seemed off.

ChiefsFan4Life 09-28-2010 04:33 AM

I am worried about this season. It seems to me the writers are re-hashing old story lines now. Looks like Quinn is now going to become the new Doakes...

Lex Luthor 09-28-2010 05:46 AM

I've loved this show from the beginning. This episode was pretty slow, Dexter acted like a reerun, and I just didn't buy the idea that Dexter's sister would **** Quinn while they were in the middle of cleaning up Rita's blood.

I think Dexter has jumped the shark.

raybec 4 09-28-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life (Post 7045778)
I am worried about this season. It seems to me the writers are re-hashing old story lines now. Looks like Quinn is now going to become the new Doakes...

I was thinking that too, or they'll bring in yet another serial killer, Ice Truck, Trinity and now ????

L.A. Chieffan 09-28-2010 08:59 PM

I liked it. Very dark and uncomfortable. Its what makes this show great in the first place.

Dave Lane 09-28-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 7047632)
I liked it. Very dark and uncomfortable. Its what makes this show great in the first place.

Very uncomfortable. I know it usually takes a couple episodes to get rolling but I was a little disappointed so far.

L.A. Chieffan 09-28-2010 09:13 PM

The thing is you have to remember that Dexter is one sick ****. He's not like normal people. I'm glad the writers are trying to steer him away from just being a normal guy who happens to moonlight as a serial killer-serial killer. I thought the scene with him breaking the news to the kids while wearing the Mickey ears was brilliant. Nobody would do that.

irishjayhawk 09-29-2010 07:21 PM

I thought it was a very good way to start the season, especially since the showrunners of the last few seasons left.

KC_Connection 09-29-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 7047669)
The thing is you have to remember that Dexter is one sick ****.

If only the show still had Doakes to remind us of that every episode. The supporting cast isn't much without him (when they don't have stars like Smits, Carradine, and Lithgow anyway).

KcMizzou 09-29-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 7047669)
The thing is you have to remember that Dexter is one sick ****. He's not like normal people. I'm glad the writers are trying to steer him away from just being a normal guy who happens to moonlight as a serial killer-serial killer. I thought the scene with him breaking the news to the kids while wearing the Mickey ears was brilliant. Nobody would do that.

They need to show that side of him more, IMO. He's too likable. More dark side, less family man. Dexter should be frightening on some level.

Chiefs Rool 10-04-2010 01:58 PM

I got around to watching to first 2 episodes. While it's off to a slow start, I still think it will develop into something good. It looks like this seasons villian is going to be the weird dude that picks up dead animals off the road. He doesn't look like much and doesn't seem very smart, so you would think that someone as skilled as Dexter would have no problem. But we'll see, maybe he's not the villian. It could be Quinn too. I can't wait to see.

Lex Luthor 10-04-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Rool (Post 7061029)
I got around to watching to first 2 episodes. While it's off to a slow start, I still think it will develop into something good. It looks like this seasons villian is going to be the weird dude that picks up dead animals off the road. He doesn't look like much and doesn't seem very smart, so you would think that someone as skilled as Dexter would have no problem. But we'll see, maybe he's not the villian. It could be Quinn too. I can't wait to see.

I liked the second episode a whole lot better than the first. It was pretty moving when the ghost of Dexter's dad said "Those kids aren't just your responsibility. They're your salvation".

There's no way the guy who picks up dead animals will be this season's Big Bad. He's a minor character who will undoubtedly wind up on Dexter's slab next week.

raybec 4 10-04-2010 02:15 PM

I'd bet Quinn goes on the slab before the season is over, every guy Deb ****s gets whacked.

MMXcalibur 10-04-2010 03:34 PM

Dead animal guy is cannon fodder. He'll be gone by next episode if only to let us all know that Dexter is back to his old ways. Thank Christ that Astor and Cody have gone off elsewhere (specifically Astor). The moodiness and attitude was already getting on my nerves.

The only major villain I can see is Quinn. Consider him a lesser version of Doakes....a "Diet Doakes", if you will. :)

Personally, based off just two episodes, here's my big plot twist prediction:
Spoiler!

Chiefs Rool 10-04-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 7061232)
Dead animal guy is cannon fodder. He'll be gone by next episode if only to let us all know that Dexter is back to his old ways. Thank Christ that Astor and Cody have gone off elsewhere (specifically Astor). The moodiness and attitude was already getting on my nerves.

The only major villain I can see is Quinn. Consider him a lesser version of Doakes....a "Diet Doakes", if you will. :)

Personally, based off just two episodes, here's my big plot twist prediction:
Spoiler!

oh yeah, I think your spoiler prediction is right on the money.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-04-2010 04:36 PM

I don't think there is going to be a "big bad" this season.

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-04-2010 08:30 PM

Glad the kids went w/ their grandparents. It would have been impossible for Dexter to continue his lifestyle with them.

And Quinn needs to lay off the coke. Dude looks like he's ****ing dying of AIDS.

Hootie 10-04-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 7062028)
And Quinn needs to lay off the coke. Dude looks like he's ****ing dying of AIDS.

hahaha that's what me and my friends were thinking

Lex Luthor 10-05-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 7061355)
I don't think there is going to be a "big bad" this season.

Maybe not, since there's no major guest star this season. I just hope Quinn isn't Doakes Redux. That wouldn't be very original.

Red Brooklyn 10-05-2010 10:25 AM

I know I'm way behind the curve. But I just wanted the first 6 episodes of Season One last night.

Not half bad. Episodes 5 and 6 are maybe some of my favorite episodes of television. Like, ever. Just great, great stuff.

Chiefs Rool 10-05-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7063214)
I know I'm way behind the curve. But I just wanted the first 6 episodes of Season One last night.

Not half bad. Episodes 5 and 6 are maybe some of my favorite episodes of television. Like, ever. Just great, great stuff.

wait until you get to season 2! But season 4 was the best one.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-05-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7063214)

Enjoy.

Red Brooklyn 10-05-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 7063817)
Enjoy.

I plan to.

So far so good.

SLAG 10-05-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7064067)
I plan to.

So far so good.

I wish i could watch it again for the first time... I feel the same way about Sopranos

ChiefsFan4Life 10-05-2010 05:44 PM

This season sucks so far. They are rehashing Doakes story line w/ Quinn and making stretches for story lines. A small blood splatter in a moving van happens to lead to a serial killer who happens to show up when Dexter calls animal control for help who doesn't happen to get suspicious why someone reporting a dead animal would wait around.

Just dumb so far. I guess that's what happens when the executive producers that made this show what it is resigned after last season.

Chiefs Rool 10-05-2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life (Post 7064269)
This season sucks so far. They are rehashing Doakes story line w/ Quinn and making stretches for story lines. A small blood splatter in a moving van happens to lead to a serial killer who happens to show up when Dexter calls animal control for help who doesn't happen to get suspicious why someone reporting a dead animal would wait around.

Just dumb so far. I guess that's what happens when the executive producers that made this show what it is resigned after last season.

Well to be fair, I'm assuming that Dexter put that animal there and called it in himself trying to get closer to that guy.

I still have high hopes for the season, they typically start slow.

Lzen 10-06-2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Rool (Post 7064899)
Well to be fair, I'm assuming that Dexter put that animal there and called it in himself trying to get closer to that guy.

I still have high hopes for the season, they typically start slow.

I hope you're right. Ep. 2 was kinda slow and lame. But as you said, every season has started slowly.

Lex Luthor 10-06-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life (Post 7064269)

I'm with you. It also doesn't help that Doakes was a great character and Quinn is boring as hell.

Even though Doakes really had to die, I hated to see him leave the show.

Chiefs Rool 10-06-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 7065148)
I'm with you. It also doesn't help that Doakes was a great character and Quinn is boring as hell.

Even though Doakes really had to die, I hated to see him leave the show.

me 2, season 2 was fantastic and Doakes was awesome. I liked Quinn a lot better before he went all metro-sexual on us. He looks like a bundle of sticks.

Red Brooklyn 10-08-2010 08:16 AM

The reveal of the identity of The Ice Truck Killer was outstanding. Did NOT see that coming. Not by a long shot. And I'm usually pretty good at calling shit like that.

Well done, Dexter. Well done.

On a side note: Has anyone here read the books? Are they worth checking out? How similiar are they to the series?

Fire Me Boy! 10-08-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7069984)
The reveal of the identity of The Ice Truck Killer was outstanding. Did NOT see that coming. Not by a long shot. And I'm usually pretty good at calling shit like that.

Well done, Dexter. Well done.

On a side note: Has anyone here read the books? Are they worth checking out? How similiar are they to the series?

The first season is based off the first book, but there are a couple major changes. The rest of the series is its own product, not mirroring the books.

I'm into the second book now, but the first is quite good.

Red Brooklyn 10-08-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 7070357)
The first season is based off the first book, but there are a couple major changes. The rest of the series is its own product, not mirroring the books.

I'm into the second book now, but the first is quite good.

Sweet.

Thanks, man. I really think I'll check out (at least) the first one. The show is so interesting.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-08-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7070377)
Sweet.

Thanks, man. I really think I'll check out (at least) the first one. The show is so interesting.

Definately keep going. Season 4 of Dexter is my favorite season of any TV series.

Red Brooklyn 10-08-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 7070820)
Definately keep going. Season 4 of Dexter is my favorite season of any TV series.

:thumb:

I'll definately finish up Season One tonight... and I may start Season Two if I have enough time.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-11-2010 05:31 PM

Well that was interesting. Things are picking up a bit.

BigRedChief 10-11-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 7080799)
Well that was interesting. Things are picking up a bit.

They have already done a fellow cop suspects Dexter once. No need to redo that plot line.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-12-2010 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7081201)
They have already done a fellow cop suspects Dexter once. No need to redo that plot line.

Was mainly talking about the girl at the end, but I don't mind Quinn being suspicious of him.

Silock 10-12-2010 05:45 AM

Boring.

Chiefs Rool 10-12-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7081201)

I'd agree, but it does make sense that detectives would detect something.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-12-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7082404)
Boring.

Well, turn on AMC instead on Sunday's and watch a bunch of dudes sitting around drinking scotch and smoking cigars for real excitement :whackit:

Silock 10-12-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 7083561)
Well, turn on AMC instead on Sunday's and watch a bunch of dudes sitting around drinking scotch and smoking cigars for real excitement :whackit:

I watch that, too.

I'm just not interested in this storyline. It's been done, and done better with Doakes.

58-4ever 10-13-2010 08:27 PM

This season has not been as good as the last, but we are only three episodes in.

I would argue that Dexter is still a top 5 show right now. The writing and directing

is still top notch.

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-13-2010 08:32 PM

It amazes me that people still don't understand the way in which these season arcs are set up.

One thing that is going to lead to a shitload of tension throughout the rest of this season is simply how many times Dexter has ****ed up already.

Killing the guy with a grappling hook and no gloves, killing Boyd without much cover and shoddily constructed kill room, now having a living witness.

He's effing up bad and the noose is going to start to close.

It's a slow burn, and there's nothing wrong with that.

BigRedChief 10-13-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 7086413)
It amazes me that people still don't understand the way in which these season arcs are set up.

One thing that is going to lead to a shitload of tension throughout the rest of this season is simply how many times Dexter has ****ed up already.

Killing the guy with a grappling hook and no gloves, killing Boyd without much cover and shoddily constructed kill room, now having a living witness.

He's effing up bad and the noose is going to start to close.

It's a slow burn, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Basic same idea with the Doakes arc. How the hell was Dexter going to survive the information Doakes has getting out?

It's just BS. We all know Dexter isn't going to get caught. Maybe for the series finale but the series finale is not this season.

Lzen 10-18-2010 12:23 PM

Well, that took a very interesting turn. Like others, I don't like the Quinn obsession with Dexter. But I am intrigued by the victim turning killer to get revenge angle that this appears to be heading to.

Silock 10-18-2010 11:19 PM

The Quinn storyline is ****ing reeruned. I really like the rest of it, though.

Shogun 10-19-2010 02:28 AM

Quinn is gonna get Doakes'd

BigRedChief 10-19-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 7100713)
Quinn is gonna get Doakes'd

and then again Dexter's sister boyfriend gets killed. Been there done that also.

Chiefs Rool 10-19-2010 03:39 PM

all of this shit is gonna come back to haunt him. I don't mind the Quinn storyline since Dexter works with a bunch of detectives and their job in life is to detect shit, so it's natural that another detective might be on to him.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-26-2010 10:59 AM

Masuka's tatoo ROFL

Ebolapox 10-26-2010 02:19 PM

masuka's leopard thong was more funny to me. ****ing seriously?

Jawshco 10-26-2010 04:59 PM

Masuka is awesome. He's one of the main reasons I still watch the show.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-16-2010 12:01 AM

As always, the slow burn is building into a really good season (IMO). It lacks the epic feeling of seasons 1 and 4 b/c of the lack of a formidable single foe, but I like the development of Lumen's character as well as the possibility of that cocksucking Robocop mother****er getting sliced and diced.

Silock 11-16-2010 12:33 AM

Agreed. Maybe Quinn is sticking around after all.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-16-2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 7176539)
As always, the slow burn is building into a really good season (IMO). It lacks the epic feeling of seasons 1 and 4 b/c of the lack of a formidable single foe, but I like the development of Lumen's character as well as the possibility of that cocksucking Robocop mother****er getting sliced and diced.

Yep, I can't wait to see Robocop on the table.

Lzen 11-16-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 7176539)

Yes. This episode was very good. I like the direction the season is going.