ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Killer aps for the iPhone? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=190700)

007 11-17-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6271129)
:rolleyes:

Look at their ipod department. They didn't have to do shit to that line to keep their ungodly market share. Yet, they completely cannibalized their sales with the Touch. And they added feature after feature pretty much every year on every iPod line they had.

There are plenty of things wrong with the iPhone and it's ecosystem but no new features because of the lack of competition is not one of them.

Hell, I just wish they would add themes to the iPod Touch. I hate the basic one they have now. I don't just mean the screen saver screen either. I'm talking about the entire springboard setup.

Fish 11-30-2009 10:25 AM

Today only.... 1Password Pro for free! Very handy password app.

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...-appstore.html

I thought this was a worthy note, considering this app is usually $9.99. Since this isn’t the 1Password Pro they intended it to be, there will be an update to include organization tools like folders and favorites, syncing over-the-air with MobileMe and WebDAV, etc. At that time, the price will be raised to $14.99. About a week ago Agile Web Solutions decided to celebrate their release of 1Password 3 for Mac by offering the PRO iPhone version for free until December 1st. Available in iTunes.

1Password lets you store important information you otherwise wouldn't keep on your iPhone, essentially becoming a digital safebox. Or as they dub it "A Safe in Your Pocket". This makes it feel a little safer to save things like Website Login information, membership information, and notes. All the data is encrypted with one or even two passwords.

Although this app is free, be sure to take note there are some requirements to get a few of the syncing features in this app to work. Some of these features require 1Password For Mac which is a $40 application for MacOS X. Nonetheless, this can be rather useful even without the application.

From the Developer:
Quote:
<table width="60%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;">
  • Saves web site login credentials, personal identity information (such as names, addresses and telephone numbers), a variety of information that you might find in your wallet (licenses, social security numbers, credit cards, etc.), and freeform secure notes to store any data you'd like to keep safe from prying eyes.
  • Locks your data behind both a four-digit unlock code and a master password, both of which you configure. Even if your mobile device is stolen or misplaced, your 1Password data is safe.
  • Has a browser built right into it. Tap a saved login and you're immediately taken to the site, your credentials filled in, ready to be submitted.
  • [BSyncs safely and securely with 1Password for the Mac[/b] over a WiFi connection, provided both the mobile device and the Mac are on the same network. The sync is two-way, so new information can be easily added on your mobile device and synced back to your Mac! To read up on how to sync you can check it out in the 1Password for Mac User Guide.
  • Data backup Version 2.1 added the ability to download your data to your Desktop (Mac or PC), enabling you to backup all your important information and restore it if needed.
  • Copy and Paste 1Password Pro adds the ability to Copy and Paste information. This enables you to copy passwords into other applications as well as copying Credit Card numbers into purchase web forms.
  • Better Safari Integration 1Password Pro provides enhanced integration with Mobile Safari. Using a bookmark from within Safari, you can launch 1Password to quickly find your Login information, copy the password, and be automatically taken back to Safari so you can login.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Agile Web Solutions
1Password iTunes AppStore

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mj22KFmOMaw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

007 11-30-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6305435)

I thought this was a worthy note, considering this app is usually $9.99. Since this isn’t the 1Password Pro they intended it to be, there will be an update to include organization tools like folders and favorites, syncing over-the-air with MobileMe and WebDAV, etc. At that time, the price will be raised to $14.99. About a week ago Agile Web Solutions decided to celebrate their release of 1Password 3 for Mac by offering the PRO iPhone version for free until December 1st. Available in iTunes.

1Password lets you store important information you otherwise wouldn't keep on your iPhone, essentially becoming a digital safebox. Or as they dub it "A Safe in Your Pocket". This makes it feel a little safer to save things like Website Login information, membership information, and notes. All the data is encrypted with one or even two passwords.

Although this app is free, be sure to take note there are some requirements to get a few of the syncing features in this app to work. Some of these features require 1Password For Mac which is a $40 application for MacOS X. Nonetheless, this can be rather useful even without the application.

From the Developer:
Quote:
<table width="60%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;">
  • Saves web site login credentials, personal identity information (such as names, addresses and telephone numbers), a variety of information that you might find in your wallet (licenses, social security numbers, credit cards, etc.), and freeform secure notes to store any data you'd like to keep safe from prying eyes.
  • Locks your data behind both a four-digit unlock code and a master password, both of which you configure. Even if your mobile device is stolen or misplaced, your 1Password data is safe.
  • Has a browser built right into it. Tap a saved login and you're immediately taken to the site, your credentials filled in, ready to be submitted.
  • [BSyncs safely and securely with 1Password for the Mac[/b] over a WiFi connection, provided both the mobile device and the Mac are on the same network. The sync is two-way, so new information can be easily added on your mobile device and synced back to your Mac! To read up on how to sync you can check it out in the 1Password for Mac User Guide.
  • Data backup Version 2.1 added the ability to download your data to your Desktop (Mac or PC), enabling you to backup all your important information and restore it if needed.
  • Copy and Paste 1Password Pro adds the ability to Copy and Paste information. This enables you to copy passwords into other applications as well as copying Credit Card numbers into purchase web forms.
  • Better Safari Integration 1Password Pro provides enhanced integration with Mobile Safari. Using a bookmark from within Safari, you can launch 1Password to quickly find your Login information, copy the password, and be automatically taken back to Safari so you can login.
Agile Web Solutions

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mj22KFmOMaw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Or you could just memorize the information.:)

irishjayhawk 11-30-2009 03:20 PM

1password is a must have, IMO.

bishop_74 12-07-2009 10:15 AM

If any of you like DJ'ing or electronic music...

http://amidio.com/dj/

BigRedChief 12-30-2009 02:29 PM

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ew-years-eve/1

If you're worried you've had too many drinks to get behind the wheel on New Year's Eve, fear not: There's an app for that.
Just reach for your iPhone, because several apps are now available to tell someone when they've reached their legal limit.
"R-U-Buzzed," a free application released Dec. 2 from the Colorado Department of Transportation, allows you to quickly determine your blood alcohol level. Simply spin the wheel to your weight, how many drinks you've had and the amount of time you've been drinking and the app will tell you if you're safe to drive.

Buck 01-05-2010 04:28 PM

I got an app called Mobile Air Mouse for my iPod Touch.

You can get it for iPhone too.

Its so awesome. It acts as a mouse for your laptop computer. Its on sale for $1.99 or $0.99 cant remember, but its normally like $8.

You guys shoudl get it.

http://www.mobileairmouse.com/

007 01-05-2010 05:32 PM

how does it connect to your computer? Blutooth or wifi

Buck 01-05-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6412575)
how does it connect to your computer? Blutooth or wifi

Wifi

Its pretty awesome if you ever hook your laptop up to your TV and you dont already have a wireless keyboard/ or mouse. It can act as both, but the typing isn't that great. It can also use the ipod's accelerometer to make it like a wand so wherever you point on the screen the mouse cursor moves there.

QuikSsurfer 01-05-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 6412414)
I got an app called Mobile Air Mouse for my iPod Touch.

You can get it for iPhone too.

Its so awesome. It acts as a mouse for your laptop computer. Its on sale for $1.99 or $0.99 cant remember, but its normally like $8.

You guys shoudl get it.

http://www.mobileairmouse.com/

One of my favorite apps. works great

007 01-05-2010 07:30 PM

Well, if I ever hook up my laptop to my TV this will be great. Pretty slick for a techno nerd.

Now if they would just create a app to use the ipod as a remote for my PS3. They have something already but it only works with select BDs and not all. I want them to create an app that will actually make the ipod a BD remote with bluetooth.

Buck 01-05-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6412994)
Well, if I ever hook up my laptop to my TV this will be great. Pretty slick for a techno nerd.

Now if they would just create a app to use the ipod as a remote for my PS3. They have something already but it only works with select BDs and not all. I want them to create an app that will actually make the ipod a BD remote with bluetooth.

Yeah I heard there is some kind of contest for this and it should work well considering the PS3 controller uses bluetooth.

JD10367 01-06-2010 03:29 PM

Okay, so I've had my iPod Touch for a few months now, and this is what I've accumulated on it:

APPS (all free):
AIM (never use it)
Alarm Clock (rarely use it)
ESPN ScoreCenter (use it a lot)
Facebook (constantly use it)
Global Free Wifi (Wifi locator)
Google
Google Earth (actually not as good as the Maps function that came with the Touch)
Pandora Radio
The Weather Channel
Translator
AroundMe (finds banks, stores, etc.,. around your location)
I Can Has Cheezburger
Sportacular (I use ESPN more than this)
AppMiner (an AppStore sort of application that tracks prices and stuff)
AP Mobile
Flixster
FlightAware Live Tracking
Travelocity
Kayak
Restaurant Finder
TV Guide
Planets
Offender Locator Lite (the free version... find your local perverts, LOL)
iHandy Level
Target
Currency converter (by Oanda)
CardStar (makes digital versions of those keychain store cards)
Flashlight
NASA
imDb
Mixology (drink recipes)
AppBox Lite
Convert Units (from Free The Apps)
Epocrates (drug guide)
Walt Disney World wait times (just to see how busy they are when I'm bored, LOL)
USPS Mobile
UPS
Dictionary
AT&T MyWireless
WhitePages
Wikipedia
WhiteNoise

GAMES:
3D Coaster (free)
Brick Free
Chess Free
Fling Free
Free Solitaire 3D (by Grass Games)
Virtuoso Piano Lite (free)
Line Up (free)
Minesweeper (free)
MiniGolf 99 holes (free)
Eternal Fire (not really a game... just makes a crackling log fire appear)
Waterslide (free)
Adventure (free... the Atari 2600 game, hard to control but nostalgic to look at)
Traffic Rush (free... one of the better games)
Finger Physics (tried the free one, bought the full one for .99)
Action Bowling Free
Rope-n-Fly 2 (tried the free one, bought the full one for .99)
Pac Man Lite (free)
Scramble 2 (free... and one of my favorite games, basically online Boggle)
Sol Free (another solitaire game)
Tap Tap Revenge 2 and 3
Unblock Me Free (sliding "traffic puzzle" game)
WordSearch
DoodleBuddy
TowerPuzzle (Aurora Feint II... free, great graphics, very tough though)
Toobz (tried the free, bought the full for .99... my favorite game)
Skee-Ball (.99, worth it)
Hangman (free)
Pocket God (.99, utterly silly, but worth it, LOL)
Falling Gems (free, and an excellent Tetris-like game)
WordPops Free (another Boggle-ish game, a bit buggy though but works)
Little Metal Ball (.99, but an excellent marble game)

Fish 01-06-2010 04:20 PM

I've listed most of these, but here you go again... for the noob owners.

Absolute Must Haves
AroundMe (Everything locater based on your current location)
OmniFocus (Organized my life. With Push)
Occasions (B-days(will pull Facebok info), Anniversaries, Holidays, anything reminder. With Push)
AwesomeNote (For notes. It's awesome)
TWC Max (weather)
What's On? (TV listings, reminders)
ESPN Scorecenter
Sportacular (Get Push updates for games. Updates every 10sec if you want)
MotionX GPS Drive (Turn by turn voice navigation. The shit.)
Flashlight (It's a flashlight. :D)
WunderRadio (Streaming radio stations. AM and FM.)
Wikipanion
Convert
PdaNet (Tether to a computer for internet)
Jaadu RDP and Jaadu VNC (Remote connect to other computers)
Stanza (ebook reader)
Starmap Pro (Astronomy)

Games
Labyrinth 3D (Wooden marble game)
Trace (Very addictive simple game)
FlightControl (Air Traffic Control game)
Geared (Problem solving game using gears)
King Pin (Bowling Wii style)
Tiger Woods (expensive, but fun)

JD10367 01-06-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6415684)

True dat!

Oh, wait... did you mean some sort of iPhone app? Um, never mind. :rolleyes:

irishjayhawk 01-06-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6415684)
I've listed most of these, but here you go again... for the noob owners.

Absolute Must Haves
AroundMe (Everything locater based on your current location)
OmniFocus (Organized my life. With Push)
Occasions (B-days(will pull Facebok info), Anniversaries, Holidays, anything reminder. With Push)
AwesomeNote (For notes. It's awesome)
TWC Max (weather)
What's On? (TV listings, reminders)
ESPN Scorecenter
Sportacular (Get Push updates for games. Updates every 10sec if you want)
MotionX GPS Drive (Turn by turn voice navigation. The shit.)
Flashlight (It's a flashlight. :D)
WunderRadio (Streaming radio stations. AM and FM.)
Wikipanion
Convert
PdaNet (Tether to a computer for internet)
Jaadu RDP and Jaadu VNC (Remote connect to other computers)
Stanza (ebook reader)
Starmap Pro (Astronomy)

A good list. I substitute Simplenote and Things in for Awesomenote and OmniFocus respectively. Simplenote I bought before seeing Awesomenote otherwise I might have chosen differently. Though simplenote is stellar because it is, obviously, simple.

I like Scorecenter I just wish they'd change the interface. The pop up per game UI is reeruned.

Quote:

Games
Labyrinth 3D (Wooden marble game)
Trace (Very addictive simple game)
FlightControl (Air Traffic Control game)
Geared (Problem solving game using gears)
King Pin (Bowling Wii style)
I don't really game much. I should though. Maybe I would if I like rode a subway to work or something.

NewChief 01-06-2010 08:23 PM

Does PDA net work on phones that aren't jailbroken? I didn't think tethering worked on the iPhone/ATT?

Fish 01-07-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6416900)
Does PDA net work on phones that aren't jailbroken? I didn't think tethering worked on the iPhone/ATT?

Oops. Sorry. It won't work on an iPhone or iPod that's not jailbroken.

You can install a different carrier package on a normal iPhone that isn't jailbroken though. It will let you tether. AT&T actually was going to offer this legit, but never did. Just follow these instructions:

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/chri...-tethering-fix

DMAC 01-08-2010 09:06 AM

Glad to see this...

http://windowslive.com/Connect/Post/...6-b5113c8c7d80

Microsoft is currently working on an iPhone App for Windows Live Messenger, as well as for Bing. According to the news portal Neowin, Microsoft acknowledges the current market share for the Apple phone and wants to spread Messenger over to its users.

The release of the Windows Live Messenger iPhone App is currently scheduled to take place alongside with Windows Live Wave 4—that is, spring 2010.

DMAC 01-14-2010 11:08 AM

http://iphone.skinns.ca/

TV shows and movies you can watch on the iphone. Found this on macforums. Probably won't last long.

ChiefsFan4Life 01-17-2010 06:11 PM

I am finally getting an iPhone tomorrow! I can't wait! :)

I will be hitting up this thread

Param 01-18-2010 03:34 PM

IF you're using a 3G phone, there's an app called iVideoCamera. Allows you to finally take videos with your 3G phone.

Fish 01-21-2010 03:14 PM

FYI for my jailbroken friends....

The Installous iPhone app is back up and running again. No more Troll Bridge. It's now using Apptrackr instead of Appulous for .ipa sources. Makes it much faster.

Here's all the info: http://hackulo.us/forums/

You can also go directly to http://apptrackr.org/ and use that website for downloading .ipa files from your computer.

JD10367 01-21-2010 04:08 PM

Add "The Infinity Project" (Doom-like game) and "Dark Nebula" (rolling marble-type game) for good timekillers.

irishjayhawk 01-21-2010 06:24 PM

For anyone wondering, Tweetie 2 is awesome. I picked it up for the Indie+Relief fundraiser and love it. When they say it's completely rewritten from the original Tweetie, they mean it. And for the better.

WhitiE 01-21-2010 06:25 PM

killer boots man!

BigRedChief 01-25-2010 08:44 AM

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Trapped father survives with help of phone app

By Josh Levs, CNN

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Dan Woolley, a Colorado aid worker, was trapped in Haiti hotel after earthquake
  • Woolley used cell phone application to learn how to control bleeding, survive
  • iPhone application, called "Pocket First Aid & CPR," is from Jive Media
  • "That gave me confidence to treat my wounds properly," Woolley says
(CNN) -- Alone in the darkness beneath layers of rubble, Dan Woolley felt blood streaming from his head and leg.
Then he remembered -- he had an app for that.
Woolley, an aid worker, husband, and father of two boys, followed instructions on his cell phone to survive the January 12 earthquake in Haiti.
"I had an app that had pre-downloaded all this information about treating wounds. So I looked up excessive bleeding and I looked up compound fracture," Woolley told CNN.
The application on his iPhone is filled with information about first aid and CPR from the American Heart Association. "So I knew I wasn't making mistakes," Woolley said. "That gave me confidence to treat my wounds properly."
Trapped in the ruins of the Hotel Montana in Port-au-Prince, he used his shirt to bandage his leg, and tied his belt around the wound. To stop the bleeding on his head, he firmly pressed a sock to it.
Concerned he might have been experiencing shock, Woolley used the app to look up what to do. It warned him not to sleep. So he set his phone alarm to go off every 20 minutes.
Once the battery got down to less than 20 percent of its power, Woolley turned it off. By then, he says, he had trained his body not to sleep for long periods, drifting off only to wake up within minutes.
Woolley's job keeps him tech savvy. He oversees interactive projects for the Christian child advocacy organization Compassion International in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

CNN iReport: Looking for loved ones in Haiti
With his injuries tended to, he wrote a note to his family in his journal: "I was in a big accident, an earthquake. Don't be upset at God. He always provides for his children even in hard times. I'm still praying that God will get me out, but he may not. But even so he will always take care of you."
The journal is stained with his blood.
After more than 60 hours, Woolley was pulled from the rubble.
"Those guys are rescue heroes," he said of the crew that pulled him out.

Interactive map of where to find aid, hospitals in Haiti
His colleague David Hames has not been found. The two had been standing together when the earthquake struck and the Hotel Montana crumbled. They were making a film about poverty in Haiti and had just gotten back to the hotel, heading to the elevator in the lobby.
"Then all of a sudden just all craziness broke loose," Woolley said. "Convulsions of the ground around us, the walls started rippling and then falling on us. [Hames] yelled out, 'I think it's an earthquake!' I looked for someplace safe to jump to and there was no safe place."
When the shaking stopped, Woolley couldn't see. And his friend was not with him.
He turned on the focus light of a camera he was wearing around his neck, but he didn't have his glasses. "So I actually took some pictures and would look at the back of the lens of the camera and saw in one of those pictures the elevator that I ended up hobbling over to. And that became my safe place."
Once in the elevator, he used the app -- called "Pocket First Aid & CPR" from Jive Media -- to tend to his injuries. Woolley said his phone "was like a high-tech version of a Swiss Army knife that enabled me to treat my own injuries, track time, stay awake and stay alive."
Woolley heard voices of some other people trapped nearby, and they spoke with each other.
"About a day, maybe day and a half in, we heard rescuers, and they had a list of our names at that point, because they were able to talk to one of the people we were talking with. And so then it seemed like, OK, this is going to happen, we're actually going to get rescued.
"But then it just took a long time and there were times where I didn't hear anything or I'd hear drilling in a far part of the building and just didn't get any reassurance they were still coming for me," Woolley said.
"The scene outside was a lot more chaotic and less simple than I imagined in my head. ... But eventually they came for me and did an amazing rescue."
Back home now in Colorado Springs with his wife Christina and children Josh, 6, and Nathan, 3, Woolley said he's grateful to God for getting him through the ordeal.
"Happiness is a morning with ... family, filled with Legos, kissing boo-boos and normalcy."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--Article End--><!--Bibliography Goes Here-->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc>http://images.clickability.com/pti/spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!--Bibliography End--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=font-cn></TD></TR><TR><TD class=font-cn>Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...ex.html?hpt=C1
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

DMAC 01-25-2010 11:46 AM

That first aid app probably just went from free to 10 bucks. :)

BigRedChief 03-26-2010 08:16 AM

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...o-sidestep-att

$1 phone app that lets you call for free on your I-Phone?

Fish 03-26-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6634761)
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...o-sidestep-att

$1 phone app that lets you call for free on your I-Phone?

Not really for free....

Quote:

Line2 service costs $15 a month (after a 30-day free trial).

BigRedChief 03-26-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6634793)
Not really for free....

ahhhh the fine print.;)

Fish 03-26-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6634822)
ahhhh the fine print.;)

Yeah... the bastards... they sure don't make it very obvious while bragging about it...

DMAC 03-26-2010 12:25 PM

Alpine Crawler World FTW

DTLB58 03-27-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6150840)
WunderRadio. http://www.wunderradio.com/

How is it that I hadn't heard of this app before? Very cool. I'm now streaming 610, 810, 96.5, 98.9, 101.1, etc. on my iPhone. Nice having access to Royals broadcasts and Chiefs broadcasts over Edge, 3G, or wifi.

Works with any radio station that provides an online stream. Also emergency scanners, NOAA scanner, police scanners, etc.

Very cool.

Yes, This rocks! Def worth the $6.99

DTLB58 03-27-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6007410)
Sporting News Pro Football App

Very nice for a free app. Schedules, scores, stats, rosters, news.... all nicely done.

Also versions for MLB, NBA.

Thanks, Very nice.

DTLB58 03-27-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 5953029)
Ok, so far i've gotten Facebook, ESPN score thingy, and of course pandora.

What are some of the best FREE apps?

Yelp, Sounds like it is like "around me". It's free and I use it a lot.

BigRedChief 03-29-2010 06:17 AM

Iphone case and battery 12.99 on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855991098

DMAC 03-29-2010 08:36 AM

Ultimate Guitar finally came out with a "Tabs" app. $1.99.

007 03-29-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6640191)
Iphone case and battery 12.99 on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855991098

Damn, too bad that isn't designed for the ipod touch.

munkey 04-08-2010 05:44 PM

I'm waiting until the official release date of the verizon iphone before I switch...I hate AT&T but if verizon and apple can't make this happen I'll most likely switch...

irishjayhawk 04-08-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munkey (Post 6661369)
I'm waiting until the official release date of the verizon iphone before I switch...I hate AT&T but if verizon and apple can't make this happen I'll most likely switch...

I'm hoping for a GSM version that isn't locked to AT&T. Then I wouldn't have to switch at all.

007 05-11-2010 04:36 PM

Dragons Lair dropped to .99 cents today.

KChiefs1 05-18-2010 10:09 PM

I know this has probably been asked but with the 4g's change anything about using app's?

irishjayhawk 05-18-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 6766455)
I know this has probably been asked but with the 4g's change anything about using app's?

What do you mean?

KChiefs1 05-18-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6766478)
What do you mean?

4G is going to change that story with bold new applications that are going to make people's use of their time much more efficient. Will the app's that everyone has been running on 3G now be basically obsolete?

irishjayhawk 05-18-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 6766491)
4G is going to change that story with bold new applications that are going to make people's use of their time much more efficient. Will the app's that everyone has been running on 3G now be basically obsolete?

:spock:

Still don't quite get what you're talking about but I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

007 05-18-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Obsolete? No. All the previous apps will still function as they always did.

Now, all the new apps designed to work on 4G is something different.

Huffmeister 05-19-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Will 4G cure my gout, too? Seriously, do you work for Sprint marketing or something?

Bob Dole 05-19-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6416790)
A good list. I substitute Simplenote and Things in for Awesomenote and OmniFocus respectively. Simplenote I bought before seeing Awesomenote otherwise I might have chosen differently. Though simplenote is stellar because it is, obviously, simple.

Bob Dole has been using evernote. http://www.evernote.com Pretty handy text recognition in photos if you're one of those people who ends up in meetings with lots of stuff written/drawn on the whiteboard. All your notes, snapshots and voice memos are uploaded to your web account and can be accessed, edited, augmented, searched and sync'd from anywhere you can get to the web.

If you're handy with typing on the phone, it's pretty awesome to sit in a conference call with people who think you're dicking around on your phone, but return to their office to discover they have an email containing the key info from the call sitting in their inbox.

-King- 05-26-2010 11:00 PM

I don't really know anything about iPhone memory and what not so I guess this is the perfect thread to ask this question....

Anyway, I'm buying an iPhone, how much would it matter if I bought a 8GB instead of a 16GB iphone?

Dave Lane 05-26-2010 11:07 PM

No its only the storage that is different. Wait 3 weeks and you can get the new one.

patteeu 05-26-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcChiefsKing (Post 6783170)
I don't really know anything about iPhone memory and what not so I guess this is the perfect thread to ask this question....

Anyway, I'm buying an iPhone, how much would it matter if I bought a 8GB instead of a 16GB iphone?

Less space to put music and video, but plenty of room for apps. If you want to be able to carry your whole music collection and several movies around at all times, you probably need the 16GB, but if you don't mind swapping out the movies and music periodically or if you don't really care that much about that part, the 8GB is probably fine. You can get a lot of music on an 8GB iphone anyway. And for video, a good rule of thumb is that you can fit a two hour movie into about 1GB.

patteeu 05-26-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 6783190)
No its only the storage that is different. Wait 3 weeks and you can get the new one.

Definitely do this.

Silock 05-26-2010 11:15 PM

There's no point to getting a high capacity iPhone. There are plenty of apps that let you stream your videos and music from your home computer to your iPhone.

-King- 05-26-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 6783190)

I know that, but I was wondering what the normal usage is. Does anyone really NEED a 16 GB? Anyone filled up 8GB of memory, and how fast did they fill it? Cause with my G1, I have a 8GB memory card in it and I still have ~4GB available on it.

Silock 05-26-2010 11:20 PM

Sure, I CAN fill it up. I filled up my 64gb iPad. But I didn't HAVE to.

-King- 05-26-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6783202)
Less space to put music and video, but plenty of room for apps. If you want to be able to carry your whole music collection and several movies around at all times, you probably need the 16GB, but if you don't mind swapping out the movies and music periodically or if you don't really care that much about that part, the 8GB is probably fine. You can get a lot of music on an 8GB iphone anyway. And for video, a good rule of thumb is that you can fit a two hour movie into about 1GB.

:thumb: Thanks man. Yeah, I'll probably just end up switching out music and what not.

KCFalcon59 05-27-2010 07:04 AM

Which model are you getting? It will probably be hard to find an 8Gb since that is a 3G model. The 3GS comes in 16Gb and 32 Gb. Personally I'd wait a few weeks and get the new one. Not all of the features in the new 4.0 OS will work on the 3G version but should on the 3GS.

I think the 8Gb is too small. I tend to want all my music, apps, and videos at my disposable. I usually swap out my podcasts but if I don't get to listen to them they can build up and use up the storage too.

patteeu 05-27-2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFalcon59 (Post 6783489)
Which model are you getting? It will probably be hard to find an 8Gb since that is a 3G model. The 3GS comes in 16Gb and 32 Gb. Personally I'd wait a few weeks and get the new one. Not all of the features in the new 4.0 OS will work on the 3G version but should on the 3GS.

I think the 8Gb is too small. I tend to want all my music, apps, and videos at my disposable. I usually swap out my podcasts but if I don't get to listen to them they can build up and use up the storage too.

That's a good point. I forgot that 3GS was either 16 or 32. My advice is to buy the smaller capacity of the latest version (wait a month for 4G) unless you really want to carry an extensive media library around. When I bought mine, I picked the 16GB 3GS figuring that if I really want to carry a lot of music/movies around from time to time, I could use my old video iPod or use one of the apps that let's you stream from home.

On the other hand, if you're buying an iPhone, the one-time $100 charge to buy the higher capacity version is a relatively minor expense compared to the $720 you'll be paying for data service over the first 2 years of ownership (and another $360 per year every year after that). :shrug:

KCFalcon59 05-27-2010 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6783517)
That's a good point. I forgot that 3GS was either 16 or 32. My advice is to buy the smaller capacity of the latest version (wait a month for 4G) unless you really want to carry an extensive media library around. When I bought mine, I picked the 16GB 3GS figuring that if I really want to carry a lot of music/movies around from time to time, I could use my old video iPod or use one of the apps that let's you stream from home.

On the other hand, if you're buying an iPhone, the one-time $100 charge to buy the higher capacity version is a relatively minor expense compared to the $720 you'll be paying for data service over the first 2 years of ownership (and another $360 per year every year after that). :shrug:

Agreed. I have the 3G and am waiting to see what is in store with the new one. I will either upgrade to the 4G or get the 16Gb 3GS for a pittance at WalMart. Most likely the former.

Huffmeister 05-27-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6783221)
There's no point to getting a high capacity iPhone. There are plenty of apps that let you stream your videos and music from your home computer to your iPhone.

Those apps are great (I personally use Simplify Media), but you can only listen to the music from within the app. So, you can't listen to them while browsing in Safari, or while responding to a text message.

Of course, that will be resolved when the iPhone OS FINALLY supports multitasking (released on 6/7). At least, I hope it will.

patteeu 05-27-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankerskull (Post 6783610)
Those apps are great (I personally use Simplify Media), but you can only listen to the music from within the app. So, you can't listen to them while browsing in Safari, or while responding to a text message.

Of course, that will be resolved when the iPhone OS FINALLY supports multitasking (released on 6/7). At least, I hope it will.

Can you listen to your iPhone's iPod while browsing Safari or responding to texts? I never thought about it and since I usually use my old iPod instead of my iPhone when I'm listening to music, it hasn't come up.

Huffmeister 05-27-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6783650)
Can you listen to your iPhone's iPod while browsing Safari or responding to texts? I never thought about it and since I usually use my old iPod instead of my iPhone when I'm listening to music, it hasn't come up.

Yup. As long as you're listening to music from the iPod app, you can listen to it while on the spring board or from within other apps. If you're listening to something like Simplify Media or Wunder Radio that streams over the 3G connection, the audio stops as soon as you exit that app.

patteeu 05-27-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankerskull (Post 6783658)
Yup. As long as you're listening to music from the iPod app, you can listen to it while on the spring board or from within other apps. If you're listening to something like Simplify Media or Wunder Radio that streams over the 3G connection, the audio stops as soon as you exit that app.

Good to know. That's definitely a significant consideration.

Jilly 05-27-2010 09:53 AM

I thought of an app recently and when searching did not see one similar...they need a mega diet app that gives three meals a day, what exercises you should do that day as well, and a place to add journal, weight loss, calories, etc. And it could even give you reminder texts and stuff....like if it's time for your snack.

Bob Dole 05-27-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6783202)
Less space to put music and video, but plenty of room for apps. If you want to be able to carry your whole music collection and several movies around at all times, you probably need the 16GB...

You can fit your entire music collection in 16GB? Last time Bob Dole checked, his collection was over 250GB (approaching 60,000 songs).

patteeu 05-27-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 6783784)
You can fit your entire music collection in 16GB? Last time Bob Dole checked, his collection was over 250GB (approaching 60,000 songs).

No, as a matter of fact, I can't, but I was basing my comments on what I think is a more typical collection size. My music collection is slightly smaller than yours. Just over 50,000 songs taking up 240 GB.

Fish 05-27-2010 11:37 AM

I would seriously recommend getting the 3GS version compared to just the 3G version. The 3GS is much much faster in terms of overall performance. Opening/closing apps, loading screens, etc. It's very significant. 3GS has a better battery, twice the RAM, much better camera, better video chip, etc. Working on both side by side, you can really notice the difference.

The Rick 05-27-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6783763)
Good to know. That's definitely a significant consideration.

That will change in a couple of weeks when iPhone OS 4.0 comes out. It'll support 3rd party multitasking, meaning it'll work (the developer will probably need to update the app first though).

ChiefsFan4Life 05-27-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankerskull (Post 6783658)

Wunderradio can run in the background. You can listen and do whatever you want.

DBOSHO 05-28-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6784033)
I would seriously recommend getting the 3GS version compared to just the 3G version. The 3GS is much much faster in terms of overall performance. Opening/closing apps, loading screens, etc. It's very significant. 3GS has a better battery, twice the RAM, much better camera, better video chip, etc. Working on both side by side, you can really notice the difference.

I have a 3gs now. My 3g broke. It was faster for the first few days but now i cant really find a difference between the 2 besides a video recorder.

Huffmeister 05-28-2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life (Post 6785067)
Wunderradio can run in the background. You can listen and do whatever you want.

Ah, I see now that you can click the "Run In Background" on a station then wait for it to open Safari and reload the stream. You can then use other apps, but you can't go to any other pages in Safari or you will lose the stream.

Not 100% what I wanted, but pretty close. Thanks for the info! :thumb:

fromm 05-28-2010 09:11 AM

Get the 3GS (which only comes as 16Gb minimum). I bought the 3G bought a year ago, it was cheap, didn't htink I needed 16 Gb, which I still think is true. However, the new OS will have f(x) I cannot use, as I hear including ability to minimize an app and use another.

Fish 05-28-2010 09:29 AM

Step 1: Jailbreak iPhone.
Step 2: Install Backgrounder.
Step 3: Enjoy all the multi-tasking you desire.

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8S_tBl9yz4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

BigRedChief 06-04-2010 01:54 PM

Nice article on Skype for the Iphone
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2393

007 06-04-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6786060)
Step 1: Jailbreak iPhone.
Step 2: Install Backgrounder.
Step 3: Enjoy all the multi-tasking you desire.

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8S_tBl9yz4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

It still amazes me that you can't listen to your music within all apps. That is the only multi tasking I even need.

Silock 06-04-2010 05:52 PM

You can if you use the iPod application.

007 06-04-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6799286)
You can if you use the iPod application.

There are tons of apps that won't let you play your music at all. Drives me nuts.

QuikSsurfer 06-04-2010 09:48 PM

Robot Unicorn Attack is out!

Param 06-04-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6305435)

From the Developer:
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="60%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;">
Agile Web Solutions

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mj22KFmOMaw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="344" width="425"></object>

I don't like software remembering my key information. I'll just use my brain