ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL NEW 2011-2012 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257765)

Messier 03-28-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8500618)
They sure and hell did

UNC was bumping and thumping all over with no whistle. All Withey had to do was look at a guy mean and they called a foul. I was shocked they didn't call a foul on those last 2 blocks by Withey.

It was smart of Withey to just keep playing as if he weren't in foul trouble. I think once you have your 4th the refs aren't so quick to call the 5th on questionable or ticky-tack fouls.

Bearcat 03-28-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8500618)
They sure as hell did

UNC was bumping and thumping all over with no whistle. All Withey had to do was look at a guy mean and they called a foul. I was shocked they didn't call a foul on those last 2 blocks by Withey.

He probably should have been called on one of them... but, of course, that wasn't long after the terrible blocking foul called on him.

Mr. Laz 03-28-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 8500655)
He probably should have been called on one of them... but, of course, that wasn't long after the terrible blocking foul called on him.

or the phantom foul where he never did make any contact on the shooter

chiefsfan987 03-28-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veist (Post 8500629)
Whites, the committee released the entire seed list this year and KU was the top 2 seed. http://www.sbnation.com/2012-ncaa-to...eds/in/2626664

booo... I like the blues.

007 03-28-2012 10:12 PM

Man, I wish I could be in Lawrence Saturday night.

veist 03-28-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfan987 (Post 8500685)
booo... I like the blues.

Well if we get past OSU and get Kentucky it'll be the blues. Imagine that, playing Cal again in the blues.

Bambi 03-28-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veist (Post 8500695)
Well if we get past OSU and get Kentucky it'll be the blues. Imagine that, playing Cal again in the blues.

it's destiny.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-28-2012 10:34 PM

Let's take a break and dance...

http://soundbandits.squarespace.com/storage/hihihi.gif

KC_Connection 03-28-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Whites, the committee released the entire seed list this year and KU was the top 2 seed. http://www.sbnation.com/2012-ncaa-to...eds/in/2626664

Oh yeah, that was back when MU was upset over not getting a #1 seed. They could have dodged those Norfolk St. world-beaters that way.

veist 03-28-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder (Post 8500722)

*right-click->save image as*

Fritz88 03-28-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder (Post 8500722)

ROFLROFLROFL

Imon Yourside 03-28-2012 11:35 PM

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F9PbfdCIl-s?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F9PbfdCIl-s?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Dear Jim,

What you call a crank in the face I call Saturday night!

Sincerely,

Richard Simmons

ROFL this never gets old.

Fritz88 03-28-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8500689)

I was there in 03. It was insane.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefspants 03-28-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8500689)

I'll be watching the game at AFH with a few friends of mine, it'll be the first time I've ever attended the venue, so I'm incredibly excited. :)

Chief_For_Life58 03-29-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 8500817)
I'll be watching the game at AFH with a few friends of mine, it'll be the first time I've ever attended the venue, so I'm incredibly excited. :)

Is it free to watch there?

007 03-29-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 8500811)
I was there in 03. It was insane.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll just bet man!!! My wife has to work a school event so I will have all 4 of my kids at home. NO way am I going to brave AFH with that troupe.

Fritz88 03-29-2012 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8500852)
I'll just bet man!!! My wife has to work a school event so I will have all 4 of my kids at home. NO way am I going to brave AFH with that troupe.

ROFL

You have your own event to handle.

Your wife owes you one, big time. :)

Braincase 03-29-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 8500817)

We thought about it. I need to be someplace where I can commandeer a remote so I can rewind and review.

Braincase 03-29-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 8500840)
Is it free to watch there?

Yeah. BGL stated so in her letter to the staff & faculty.

RockChalk 03-29-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Perfect...Whites for the semis, Blues for the Championship.

I by no means am counting a win, but I feel very strangely confident about Saturday against tOSU. I felt this way saturday night and sunday all day before we played UNC. I play pick up hoops with a bunch of friends Sun mornings and told them last week that we would beat UNC, Marshall or not. Then that afternoon, they announced Marshall wouldn't play and that confirmed what I had been feeling.

I caught the tail end of some coaches show last night on Fox Sports. They had guys like Cremins, Ernie Kent, Perry Clark and Mic Cronin on. Cremins went with Louisville. Cronin and Clark went with tOSU. And Kent went with UK. The host (didn't recognize him) picked KU because he's known Bill Self since HS.

None of them really offered any great insight. Clark went with tOSU because he claims you need a great Big and great PG to win the championship. Excuse me, but I'll take Taylor and TRob over Craft and Sullinger every day of the week.

RockChalk 03-29-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8500852)

Just so you know...the crowd that watched the games in 08 at AFH is a really good mix of people. Some students, but mostly just locals and families that want to watch it with 16,000 other people. I know it was damn near full for both games a few years ago.

*Note - I did not attend the AFH watch party, as I need to have beers on hand at all time when watching games of this magnitude. But I know a lot of people that went...it's very kid friendly, FWIW. But I'm sure you're speaking more about trying to watch a game and control 4 kids by yourself at the same time.

Mr. Plow 03-29-2012 07:40 AM

Honestly, I hope everyone keeps picking OSU & UK to meet in the Championship. Gives a little bit more motivation to Taylor/Robinson - and they both seem to play a bit better when they feel they have something to prove.

RockChalk 03-29-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8501022)
Honestly, I hope everyone keeps picking OSU & UK to meet in the Championship. Gives a little bit more motivation to Taylor/Robinson - and they both seem to play a bit better when they feel they have something to prove.

TRob always sounds the same in interviews, so you can't read much into him. But Tyshawn sounds about as loose as I've ever heard him. He's always in a pretty light mood, but you can tell he's really enjoying this. I think he's going to have his best game of his career on Saturday night.

He, through his play and the way he's handled everything the past 4 years, has easily become my favorite PG in the past 15 years. I'm really going to miss that guy.

Mr. Plow 03-29-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 8501037)
TRob always sounds the same in interviews, so you can't read much into him. But Tyshawn sounds about as loose as I've ever heard him. He's always in a pretty light mood, but you can tell he's really enjoying this. I think he's going to have his best game of his career on Saturday night.

He, through his play and the way he's handled everything the past 4 years, has easily become my favorite PG in the past 15 years. I'm really going to miss that guy.

Too many people were down on Tyshawn this year and one friend of mine was looking forward to the day he was no longer a Jayhawk. All I said to her was that this team was nothing without him, so she better enjoy the year. Haven't seen her since January....wonder what she thinks now. :)

Fritz88 03-29-2012 07:53 AM

I think the team will play with nothing to lose against OSU. They know either way they'd be considered winners after what they have accomplished.

Maybe playing loose will be the way to go.

RockChalk 03-29-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8501045)
Too many people were down on Tyshawn this year and one friend of mine was looking forward to the day he was no longer a Jayhawk. All I said to her was that this team was nothing without him, so she better enjoy the year. Haven't seen her since January....wonder what she thinks now. :)

Oh I think everyone has friends that are on that side of the Taylor fence. I have numerous friends that have been super critical of him for all 4 years. Most of those friends don't say anything about him anymore. My take has always been that you take the good with the bad from him. He's good far more often than he is bad, and without him, this team does not make the tournament this year. TRob may be our horse, but Taylor is the heart and soul of KU. He's really the kind of player that only comes through a university once a decade.

No matter what happens this weekend, I will be one KU fan really sad to see him go. Just something about the guy. Wish there was an exclusion where we could keep him for 10 years.

Dr. Johnny Fever 03-29-2012 08:25 AM

I'd kind of like to see them bust out the red (crimson heh) unis if the make it to the finals. I think those look pretty sweet.

Dr. Johnny Fever 03-29-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 8501065)
Oh I think everyone has friends that are on that side of the Taylor fence. I have numerous friends that have been super critical of him for all 4 years. Most of those friends don't say anything about him anymore. My take has always been that you take the good with the bad from him. He's good far more often than he is bad, and without him, this team does not make the tournament this year. TRob may be our horse, but Taylor is the heart and soul of KU. He's really the kind of player that only comes through a university once a decade.

No matter what happens this weekend, I will be one KU fan really sad to see him go. Just something about the guy. Wish there was an exclusion where we could keep him for 10 years.

One of the sad things about college sports is getting attached to players that aren't going to be with you for more than 4 years (generally). But it's part of the territory of course and maybe makes us appreciate them even more while they're here. Watching them grow is a lot of fun.

Ceej 03-29-2012 09:47 AM

TT will be my second favorite PG to ever play for KU - in my lifetime.

Chalmers is still my favorite, for obvious reasons.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-29-2012 09:57 AM

Gettin' pumped and it's only Thursday. :)

Dr. Johnny Fever 03-29-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8501022)

Agreed. Please ignore us and give us no chance nat'l media. Feel free to say it out loud too.

Dr. Johnny Fever 03-29-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8501506)
TT will be my second favorite PG to ever play for KU - in my lifetime.

Chalmers is still my favorite, for obvious reasons.

Are you old enough to remember Ron Kellog? Just before Danny and the Miracles. I always really liked that guy.

ReynardMuldrake 03-29-2012 10:07 AM

I thought this was interesting - Scouting KU in the words of other coaches:

Quote:

Scouting Kansas: Style of play

"They are excellent in transition. They have two guards who are dynamic in terms of finishing. They run half-court offense and run it fast. The one difference from a year ago is they don't play as much high-low as they used to. They'll ball-screen you and drive you to the middle of the floor. They're a great passing team with a lot of lobs. The big guys really finish at the rim."

"They are great in transition. Tyshawn Taylor flies up the court. In the half court, they have two legit big men and then run high-low motion. They try and pound the ball inside. You have to make a choice whether to guard them one-on-one or double-team them. You can double off someone -- and it used to be Elijah Johnson -- but he's been much better lately so that's tough to do right now."

"They are tough and hard-nosed. They score off their defense better than just about anyone. They are inside-out oriented and are limited with their 3-point shooting. If they make 3's, they are tough to beat. They get more than 50 percent of their scoring from Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor."

Offensive strength

"They are a great dribble-drive team. They get the ball to the middle of the floor and into the paint. They create easy opportunities for their bigs and mix in enough 3-point shooting that you have to stop them. When Tyshawn is making 3's, it's a major problem."

"They play fast and they're crisp offensively. Robinson and [Jeff] Withey can both score on the block, but what's really tough is trying to deal with Tyshawn off ball-screens. They are great late in the shot clock."

"They play inside-out and can score with Robinson in the post or with Taylor and dribble penetration. He really makes them go and is really the only one -- well, he and Elijah -- that can create anything for themselves or their teammates."

Key player

"It's Taylor. He's the heart and soul of the team. At the end of the game, he's going to be the one who takes the shot. Look at the Missouri game where they were down, look at the Kansas State game when they were down. He drives the train and sets everyone else up for everything."

"Elijah Johnson. He's the X-factor. He can go 1 for 8 from 5 for 8. You know what you're getting from Robinson, Taylor and Withey, but you have no idea with Johnson."

"Withey. Defensively, that allows them to gamble and take chances. He protects the rim and changes the game defensively. He can dominate a game without scoring a point. He ignites the fast break by blocking shots, which leads to easy buckets."

Primary weakness

"Teams that have four-men that can step out and make shots cause them problems. Look at Ryan Kelly at Duke, or Purdue. It puts Withey in a tough situation and makes Thomas Robinson have to guard. Davidson drove them and shot the 3. Deshaun Thomas could give them problems. They are very effective when they can keep both bigs around the rim. They can't afford foul trouble with Robinson. At times, he doesn't even defend because he can't afford to be off the floor."

"They lack depth -- and they have trouble guarding with their wings. [Connor] Teahan and [Travis] Releford aren't very good -- and none of the bigs off the bench give them much at all. Their wings really struggle to guard. They don't move well laterally or off screens."

"Consistent shooting. They don't have a consistent marksman -- especially with Tyshawn struggling like he has in the postseason. You can really focus on two guys -- Tyshawn and Thomas. They aren't that difficult to guard."

How to stop them

"Texas A&M ground it out, slowed it down and played a hard-fought physical game. They can go through spurts when they don't score. When you don't allow them to get in transition and get fast-break opportunities with Withey blocking shots, they have trouble scoring. The key is not to give them easy opportunities."

"Get back in transition, don't let Robinson or Withey catch it deep. Make them catch it away from the basket -- and that way help can get there quick enough. Also, late in the shot clock, make sure you close the lane and don't let Tyshawn get in the lane and close to the basket."

"You need to try limit their fast-break opportunities and find a way to get Withey out of the game, which means having a pick-and-pop four-man who can step out and make shots from the perimeter. The easiest way to stop them, though, is to get back in transition."

Best way to score on them

"Get Withey in ball-screens away from the rim. Pull him out and that gives you opportunities to score in the paint. You have to attack Robinson and force him to have to guard."

"Pull Withey away from the basket. He doesn't guard ball-screens. If you have a smaller big man, that'll get him away from the basket. You also have to force the action inside, make Robinson move his feet."

"Make Robinson and Withey guard ball-screens. Bring both of them away from the basket, where they aren't comfortable. That way Withey isn't a rim protector anymore. Tyshawn is the energizer bunny, but he can be a ball-watcher and lose focus at times."

Ultimate concern

"Easy baskets and lobs at the rim. Regardless of what everyone says, they still have three pros on the floor. This team has made plays and shots when they have needed to. Robinson gets a rebound every 2˝ or three minutes. The underrated aspect of Kansas is their offensive rebounding -- and it's not just Robinson and Withey. Releford and even Teahan sneak in there and get a few."

"They need to have balanced scoring. They can't just rely on Robinson and Withey down low. They need guys to make shots from the perimeter and when they aren't doing that, they will struggle."

"If I'm Bill Self, I'm worried about falling behind early. Can they make enough shots to catch up? They aren't a good 3-point shooting team, they only average about five a game. Who's going to make shots for them? That's a major worry."

Something extra

"Bill [Self] has really maximized this team. He's going to scheme you. He's definitely not going to just line up and play you man-to-man. You'd better be ready to handle the triangle-and-two. He usually does it and tries to take the guards out of the game."

"Teams with length can give Kansas some issues. I'm not sure how much length Ohio State has, but I think a guy like [William] Buford could give them problems. I'm not sure Releford or anyone can really match up with him."

"This team just isn't that talented. Let's call it like it is, but the kids are tough and believe they should be in the Final Four. They think they should win."
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...-the-game-down

Ceej 03-29-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8501588)
Are you old enough to remember Ron Kellog? Just before Danny and the Miracles. I always really liked that guy.

Nope, I'm 27. Vaughn, Miles, Chalmers, and TT for me. I'm sure im missing a guy or two.

Bearcat 03-29-2012 10:24 AM

I'll have to read through all of it later, but I like how 3 different people mentioned 3 different key players... and none of them even mentioned TRob (too obvious, I guess).

And they're all right. :D

Lzen 03-29-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder (Post 8500129)
What about when he gets the ball outside? He has improved his outside shooting. Sullinger isn't that athletic but I'm sure he could go by Withey and/or get him in foul trouble.

Self has insinuated that Withey will be guarding Sullinger most of the time. Their other big guy can play outside a little and that is not Withey's strength.

ReynardMuldrake 03-29-2012 10:29 AM

For the sake of completeness, here's the scouting report on OSU.

Quote:

Scouting Ohio State: Style of play

"They're a half-court execution team on offense. They run a lot of plays, and they don't particularly play real fast. Obviously, [Jared] Sullinger is a big part of what they're doing on offense, getting him the ball. Defensively, they're a solid man-to-man, half-court team. A scouting report-oriented defense."

"They want to play fast. They don't overwhelm you in transition because Sullinger isn't blazing fast. But [William] Buford and [Deshaun] Thomas will shoot fast in transition, and [Aaron] Craft likes to get to the basket in transition. In the half-court, they're very methodical about what they do. They'll set one screen, and if their guys are open, they're going to shoot. They look down low at the end, or it's Craft usually trying to make a play off a ball screen."

"They're a hybrid team. They have a couple of big strong bodies in [Evan] Ravenel and Sullinger, back-to-the-basket guys. Can throw it down to him. It's an old-school, traditional feel. But they can play a little more up-tempo, with Buford and Thomas running the wings. That's one of the reasons it makes them a tough matchup, because they can play slow and up-tempo."

Offensive strength

"Tremendous passing team. Tremendous. And all their players make the right pass and the right play. They take good shots and execute their offense. It's Aaron Craft. He orchestrates the whole show, gets everyone involved."

"Everybody on the court is a weapon. Their best weapon is Sullinger on the block. If you double-team him, someone is capable of making a shot. And if you don't, he'll score. Those guys have gained confidence with the tournament going on. Lenzelle [Smith Jr.] stepped up [vs. Syracuse], and Craft willed them to victory the game before. They're not dead-eye shooters, but if you leave them open, they'll hurt you."

"They can put the ball inside and have a back to the basket player. Sullinger is a legit 6-8, 6-9, but where he runs into problems is when he gets too antsy to score. He starts jumping into guys and look for calls. Their strength is when they go inside-outside: They bring the ball down, run ball-screens, high-low, get a touch for Sullinger, kick out, Thomas and Buford slashing. I doubt they'll be able to get a lot of transition stuff against Kansas. It will have to be their half-court offense, running through Sullinger."

Key player

"Everybody has their different opinion. But if you don't have Sullinger in that lineup, it's a mediocre lineup. He does so much; he's such a load on the block. You have to make the decision to trap him or not, but he's such a good passer out of the trap. Sullinger is the most important key."

"If Buford can play with confidence, they're tough to beat. It's been big for him that other guys have stepped up. Thomas has been their mainstay workhorse, using the right-shoulder floaters with his left hand. Those are tough shots. People have hung around with them because they have stopped Buford. If you can stop one person, it would be Sullinger, but that's not easy to do. To have your best chance to win, it would be Buford."

"I think it's Buford. That was our focus. Craft is consistent; he is what he is. He plays tough defense, might make a shot, makes good passes. Sullinger is pretty consistent with what you're going to get out of him. I really think it's Buford and how he shoots the 3-ball. If he loosens them up, spreads the defense out, it opens driving lanes for Thomas and post touches for Sullinger."

Primary weakness

"Offensively, their weakness is consistent outside shooting from 3. Aaron Craft is one of them. He has to shoot the ball at a good level. Lenzelle Smith has really stepped it up in the tournament, and that's probably why they're advancing. Defensively, they're a very good defensive team. Not a lot of weaknesses. But teams that push the ball in transition, that can hurt them. Teams who can beat them off the dribble."

"Depth. If you can get out and run on them, they don't have the bench that these other teams have. If Craft ever gets in foul trouble, they're in trouble. When Sullinger comes out, they're in trouble with Ravenel and Amir Williams. They are better in the half-court, but they're opportunistic in transition."

"It's outside shooting. That's why Buford is the key. Can Buford make enough shots from the perimeter? You can't count on Smith for three 3s a night. They're very good defensively, they have a good inside player and they apply ball pressure. The other thing is depth, especially on the perimeter. If Craft, Buford or Smith get into foul trouble, I think their depth comes into play."

How to stop them

"A team that can switch everything would give them problems. They're a play-oriented team. If you go man-to-man, switch everything 1-4. Teams that can pressure and switch will give them problems. They do a good job of running plays for Buford, Thomas and Sullinger. That's their offense: getting them shots in areas of strength. Buford getting handoffs to his left; Thomas off a pick or a screen; and Sullinger on the left block. Those are the three keys."

"You have to get Sullinger off the block. Let him take those perimeter shots, he's more willing to take 3s and faceup jumpers. If you push him off the block, you're in better shape. You have to be able to stop Craft from being in his comfort zone, with his little dribble pullups. Try to make him take tough, contested 3s. The two-dribble pullup to his left is Buford's go-to-thing. He's not as explosive as he used to be. He's not going to the basket. You have to make him a driver."

"You need to limit Sullinger's touches. I don't think a lot of teams try to front Sullinger, but he seems to find a way to get a lot of post touches. If they do go over the top, Sullinger is not a high-rising big guy who can finish in traffic. Two, I would really try to limit Buford. He's their key, so you have to limit his perimeter shots. I would really challenge Craft and Lenzelle Smith to make plays. If you're going to get beat, get beat by Craft or Lenzelle Smith."

Best way to score on them

"You have to have a low-post presence. Establish low post and score. Kansas can hurt them. Sullinger's not a great defender in the low post. Kansas needs [Jeff] Withey and [Thomas] Robinson and those guys to score around the basket. Thomas is not overly big. He's a tweener power forward, more of a faceup player. You can go at those two guys. You have to get the game going fast. Or attack them and spread them out off the dribble. Getting into the lane and kicking out. You gotta make the extra pass."

"We did a pretty good job of scoring on them with our movement. Whoever Craft is guarding, go away from them. Sullinger has trouble with his perimeter defense, and he's skeptical of foul trouble. Whoever he's guarding can exploit him. I don't think Kansas should change what they do. Craft made it hard on [Scoop] Jardine, but he was still able to play his game. He's a better on-ball defender than he is off-the-ball. I wouldn't get too crazy. I just think you can't try to do it by yourself. Once the ball is swung around, don't go one-on-one. That's when Craft is at his best. Score in the context of what you normally do."

"It's very interesting, because Craft is so good with ball pressure. I think it's very hard to ask your point guard to create as much as possible because Craft gives them problems. So you can put the ball in someone else's hands, or run him into a lot of ball screens. Plus, if you're having someone ball screen, you bring Sullinger and Thomas outside of the lane, you're making them slide their feet on the perimeter. I just don't like guys trying to handle the ball against Craft. He's an elite defender; he has a special skillset. He changes the tempo and flow of the game."

Ultimate concern

"I think it's trying to figure out a way to guard them. Zone is not the answer, and some people thought it was. They have so many good weapons. They beat Syracuse's zone. I think it's a decision on how you're going to guard them. Sullinger is a legitimate scoring option and low-post option. They have good scorers, they pass the ball and execute. It's a tough thing."

"You don't want to let them get into a rhythm. When they get the inside-outside game, the transition game -- you can't let it all click at the same time. If you double-team Sullinger, and you make a mistake on the rotation, they hit a shot. Don't let them get that sort of rhythm. You have to take away a couple of things. You have to rely on not making many mistakes. If you're used to double-teaming, double team Sullinger since your rotations will be fine. You can play him one-on-one. Kansas has big, strong athletes. He initiates a lot of contact, but he's not the most explosive player."

"It's probably Sullinger. I go back to personnel. Sullinger is a fantastic college basketball player. He's got to be your key. He's capable of scoring 25 on any given night. If you're talking against Kansas, it's if Sullinger can get Robinson in foul trouble. If Sullinger gets going and Robinson gets frustrated, it's a double-edged sword for Kansas. You have to limit Sullinger's touches inside, rush Buford on the perimeter. Make him go off the dribble, take away his catch and shoot. And you have to hope to make shots."

Something extra

"Take away Buford's catch and shoot. You can't let him go to his left. He loves going to his left. He's not a great ball-handler, so you can pressure him."

"Pressure Craft as much as you can full court. Get the ball out of his hands, make the other guys run offense. He doesn't get tired and worn down. He doesn't get too emotional. We tried to run the offense with other guys, but he reared his ugly head, so to say. We tried to do it. But the ball goes back to his man, and he's dangerous because he steals it from you."

"I think you can bother Craft. The one thing about him is he's pretty strong going to the basket, so you have to push up on him on ball screens. Hedge him, make him go away from the screen. He's better if he gets an angle and he attacks your big guy right away."

"Thomas is hard to take away. We tell our players he has to shoot over his right shoulder, but that doesn't seem to stop him. You have to limit him from catch-and-shoot opportunities. You don't want to get caught on a bad rotation."

"You have to go strong inside. Sullinger doesn't want to get in foul trouble. He wants to swipe at the ball, make you make mistakes. Craft is good in there, getting a hand in. You have to take it strong; don't settle for jump shots. Make them work."

"Kansas can guard one-on-one against Sullinger with their size. It should be interesting to see how Robinson or Withey defends him. If they double, they should leave Craft."

"Maybe give a junk defense, throw them off. See how you can do without doubling Sullinger to start. If I'm Kentucky, there's no way I double."

"Thomas is the best slashing four man I've seen. He gets behind the defense. He's going to get what he needs to get to. You need to make him make plays off the dribble going to the right. Just don't let him go left on you, because he's so good at the jump stop and finishing. You also have to limit transition points with him."

"You have to get back on defense. No transition lobs."
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...confound-craft

sedated 03-29-2012 10:34 AM

I’m surprised to hear them all say Releford is weak at defense. Most people locally are calling him a defensive stopper, and crediting him with Buford’s bad performance in Lawrence.

I think this matchup will give up big problems; this will be one of those games Withey has less than 10 minutes. Ohio State's 3 will slide to the 4 to give the “4 perimeter” look that has given us trouble all year. Robinson will have to guard Sullinger, which could be trouble – he will either get in foul trouble or give up too many easy buckets…or both.

RockChalk 03-29-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 8501713)
I’m surprised to hear them all say Releford is weak at defense. Most people locally are calling him a defensive stopper, and crediting him with Buford’s bad performance in Lawrence.

I think this matchup will give up big problems; this will be one of those games Withey has less than 10 minutes. Ohio State's 3 will slide to the 4 to give the “4 perimeter” look that has given us trouble all year. Robinson will have to guard Sullinger, which could be trouble – he will either get in foul trouble or give up too many easy buckets…or both.

Oh so they're going to sit Deshaun Thomas this game? That will be quite the edge for us since he's been the player most discussed about giving teams trouble.

KC_Connection 03-29-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8501045)

You can go look in the KU basketball thread from earlier in the year and find plenty that expressed similar thoughts about Tyshawn.

Bambi 03-29-2012 10:59 AM

Beat OSU on Saturday then take down UK for the top spot in all of CBB?

Sure, why not.

RockChalk 03-29-2012 11:02 AM

In December, we started the same lineup we've rolled with all year. We'll start with the same on Saturday. tOSU isn't going to go with a 4-guard lineup and change what they do just to beat us. They don't have to and given their lack of bench (like us), it makes zero sense for them to play small.

Withey will start off on Sulligner
Robinson on Thomas
Releford on Buford
Johnson on Smith Jr
Taylor on Craft

Exact same matchup as December, with Withey on Sullinger instead of Ravenel who filled in. Now, Withey may not be able to handle Sullinger (we have no reason to think he won't)...but if that's the case, then T-Rob will play Sully and a combo of Young/Wesley will have to chase Thomas around.

None of this will be due to tOSU playing a 4-guard lineup and going small against us. Not only will the Buckeyes not switch things up this late in the season, they don't have the guards (off the bench) to threaten us with going small. Just like us, they don't go very deep off their bench.

Dr. Johnny Fever 03-29-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8501662)
Nope, I'm 27. Vaughn, Miles, Chalmers, and TT for me. I'm sure im missing a guy or two.

damn kids

Bambi 03-29-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 8501809)
In December, we started the same lineup we've rolled with all year. We'll start with the same on Saturday. tOSU isn't going to go with a 4-guard lineup and change what they do just to beat us. They don't have to and given their lack of bench (like us), it makes zero sense for them to play small.

Withey will start off on Sulligner
Robinson on Thomas
Releford on Buford
Johnson on Smith Jr
Taylor on Craft

Exact same matchup as December, with Withey on Sullinger instead of Ravenel who filled in. Now, Withey may not be able to handle Sullinger (we have no reason to think he won't)...but if that's the case, then T-Rob will play Sully and a combo of Young/Wesley will have to chase Thomas around.

None of this will be due to tOSU playing a 4-guard lineup and going small against us. Not only will the Buckeyes not switch things up this late in the season, they don't have the guards (off the bench) to threaten us with going small. Just like us, they don't go very deep off their bench.

I think they just rotate guys around on Sullinger if he becomes an issue kinda like Self did with Hummel. I remember TRob, Releford and even EJ guarding him.

EJ's funny, he can check anyone.

RockChalk 03-29-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8501824)
I think they just rotate guys around on Sullinger if he becomes an issue kinda like Self did with Hummel. I remember TRob, Releford and even EJ guarding him.

EJ's funny, he can check anyone.

Sullinger isn't an outside threat. He's too big, and for the most part, you'll see either Withey or T-Rob on him.

People need to understand...Thomas has someone been made into this outside shooter. He's not. Can he shoot from outside? Yes, when he's hot. But he plays a lot of his game in the post as well. So we're not talking about guarding another guy like Hummel. Thomas has a very nice inside/outside game, but he's not a pure 3-pt guy like Hummel was.

Bambi 03-29-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 8501832)
Sullinger isn't an outside threat. He's too big, and for the most part, you'll see either Withey or T-Rob on him.

People need to understand...Thomas has someone been made into this outside shooter. He's not. Can he shoot from outside? Yes, when he's hot. But he plays a lot of his game in the post as well. So we're not talking about guarding another guy like Hummel. Thomas has a very nice inside/outside game, but he's not a pure 3-pt guy like Hummel was.

Can Young and Wesley get out on him and throw a couple fouls his way?

How is Sullinger's FT%?

sedated 03-29-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 8501768)
Oh so they're going to sit Deshaun Thomas this game? That will be quite the edge for us since he's been the player most discussed about giving teams trouble.

Huh? Their 3 is Thomas, who (I’m guessing) will play the 4 most of this game, so Self will be forced to either have Robinson guarding the perimeter or sit Withey. The more they play a true center alongside Sullinger, the better for us, and Matta won’t let that happen.

RockChalk 03-29-2012 11:17 AM

Just as a comparison...3-pointers

Deshaun Thomas: 49 for 138 (35.5%)
Robbie Hummel: 72 for 188 (38.3%)

If tOSU wants to play Thomas out on the perimeter for 40 minutes on Saturday in order to keep T-Rob out of the paint defensively, I will welcome that with open arms. Especially for a guy who shoots 35%. If he is on fire, then I trust Self to formulate a new plan mid-game.

sedated 03-29-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 8501809)

I guess I disagree. With a week to prepare, and knowing that we are 10x better with our traditional lineup, I can see them adjusting. This ain't ole Roy and his "they have to adjust to US" philosophy.

But we shall see.

RockChalk 03-29-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 8501843)
Huh? Their 3 is Thomas, who (I’m guessing) will play the 4 most of this game, so Self will be forced to either have Robinson guarding the perimeter or sit Withey. The more they play a true center alongside Sullinger, the better for us, and Matta won’t let that happen.

No he's not. They start a 3 guards and 2 forwards. With Sullinger and Thomas as the forwards. Buford, Smith Jr and Craft are the guards.

RockChalk 03-29-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8501841)
Can Young and Wesley get out on him and throw a couple fouls his way?

How is Sullinger's FT%?

77%. We won't make a living by fouling Sullinger and putting him on the line

sedated 03-29-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 8501855)
No he's not. They start a 3 guards and 2 forwards. With Sullinger and Thomas as the forwards. Buford, Smith Jr and Craft are the guards.

Not according to the interviews I've heard this week. Buford was referred to as the 2 and Thomas was the 3.

Doesn't matter, that only makes it easier for them. I see this as the type of lineup that gives us trouble. While they start 2 "forwards", only 1 is the stereotypical "forward".

But we shall see.

RockChalk 03-29-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 8501851)
I guess I disagree. With a week to prepare, and knowing that we are 10x better with our traditional lineup, I can see them adjusting. This ain't ole Roy and his "they have to adjust to US" philosophy.

But we shall see.

That's fine. We all have our own opinions.

I'm not saying that Thad is ole Roy. I'm saying that tOSU doesn't have the bench players to play that kind of line-up. Deshaun Thomas takes for 3's than your average forward, but he doesn't make a living outside. A lot of his game is played in the post. They will play the same way they have all season, because they don't have other options.

Like I said above...if Thad decides to just have Thomas run around the perimeter, then that's a philosophy change compared to all season long. But that doesn't mean they are playing with a small 4-guard lineup. And if Thad goes with that gameplan, Self will adjust and use a Young/Wesley combo to guard Thomas, with T-Rob/Withey on Sullinger.

RockChalk 03-29-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 8501865)
Not according to the interviews I've heard this week. Buford was referred to as the 2 and Thomas was the 3.

Doesn't matter, that only makes it easier for them. I see this as the type of lineup that gives us trouble. While they start 2 "forwards", only 1 is the stereotypical "forward".

But we shall see.

They can call Thomas a 3 all he wants, but he doesn't play like a 3. He plays like a 4, with some outside shooting range.

You're right though, we shall see. You think we'll have problems. I don't. I agree that a small lineup gives us fits, but no matter where tOSU lines guys up, they don't have a small guard-oriented lineup. And Deshaun Thomas isn't Robbie Hummel.

Mr. Laz 03-29-2012 11:28 AM

outside shooting and foul trouble

same 2 things that decide every KU game

How scared KU plays effects both

teedubya 03-29-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8501885)
outside shooting and foul trouble

same 2 things that decide every KU game

How scared KU plays effects both

Kentucky has very little problems with foul shooting this year... Calipari, plagued by the 2008 FTs debachle, no doubt... implemented new training with the Wildcats this year... if the team missed 7 free throws, they had to do 7, thirty-three lines runs... which I assume is a pain in the ass... running from line to line on the court.

Bill Self ignores freethrows... this is one of the main reasons I see Kentucky trouncing whoever in this Final Four.

Lzen 03-29-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8500803)
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F9PbfdCIl-s?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640"></object>

Dear Jim,

What you call a crank in the face I call Saturday night!

Sincerely,

Richard Simmons

ROFL this never gets old.

ROFL

Lzen 03-29-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Sherron Collins?

Mr. Plow 03-29-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

What a n00b.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 8502127)
Sherron Collins?

Ceej 03-29-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 8502127)
Sherron Collins?

While SC played the point, I really don't consider him a true PG. I guess I consider the others more"true point guardish" than Sherron.

But at least I admitted to forgetting a couple of guys. :)

sedated 03-29-2012 01:06 PM

A little fun to pass the time until Saturday night:

Rank the point guards of the Roy and Self years:

- Jacque Vaughn
- Kirk Hinrich
- Aaron Miles
- Russell Robinson
- Sherron Collins
- Tyshawn Taylor

Hard to believe – the gap between Vaughn and Hinrich seems like forever, but its been seamless ever since.

Dr. Johnny Fever 03-29-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 8502239)

- Jacque Vaughn
- Kirk Hinrich
- Aaron Miles
- Russell Robinson
- Sherron Collins
- Tyshawn Taylor

Hard to believe – the gap between Vaughn and Hinrich seems like forever, but its been seamless ever since.

Hinrich
Collins
Robinson
Taylor
Vaughn
Miles

is my initial reaction but it's very fluid

Ceej 03-29-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

- Jacque Vaughn
- Kirk Hinrich
- Aaron Miles
- Russell Robinson
- Sherron Collins
- Tyshawn Taylor

Are we basing this off what we envision as a true PG or who we enjoyed watching the most??

Ceej 03-29-2012 01:13 PM

Also, what about Chalmers?

He ran a little point.

Ceej 03-29-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

- Jacque Vaughn
- Kirk Hinrich
- Aaron Miles
- Russell Robinson
- Sherron Collins
- Tyshawn Taylor

Based off who I enjoyed watching the most..

Hinrich, Taylor, Collins, Miles, RR, Jacque. JV was just a hair before my fandom.

Based off true PG aspect of the game -- Miles, Hinrich, TT, RR, Collins, JV.

Ceej 03-29-2012 01:16 PM

Not the best quality.... CJ GILES SIGHTING!!!!111111
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GIV_bMmjIFk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sedated 03-29-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8502270)
Also, what about Chalmers?

He ran a little point.

I didn't include Chalmers, that line was a little blurry. Same with Boschee. And if they are in there, then it a slippery slope to Langford.

sedated 03-29-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8502277)
Based off true PG aspect of the game -- Miles, Hinrich, TT, RR, Collins, JV.

LOL QUE? Russell Robinson was more of a true PG than Hinrich or TT.

DJJasonp 03-29-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

- Jacque Vaughn
- Kirk Hinrich
- Aaron Miles
- Russell Robinson
- Sherron Collins
- Tyshawn Taylor

Scoring: Hinrich - Collins - Taylor - Vaughn - Robinson - Miles

Defense: Hinrich - Vaughn - Robinson - Miles - Taylor - Collins

Overall: Hinrich - Vaughn - Collins - Taylor - Robinson - Miles

If I want a true PG: I gottal love Vaughn's ability to drive, dish....unselfish.....and loved to play defense.

Versatility: Hinrich

Hinrich and Vaughn are two of my favorite all-time jayhawks

Ceej 03-29-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 8502295)
LOL QUE? Russell Robinson was more of a true PG than Hinrich or TT.

I guess it depends on your interpretation of true pg. RR was a great defender and pretty much average at everything else.

I think Hinrich and TT are leaps and bounds better at the PG spot.

KC_Connection 03-29-2012 01:58 PM

I wasn't a KU fan in the mid 90s, so I can't give an educated opinion on Vaughn as a KU basketball player.

Mario Chalmers is the best guard that Self has ever had (and I would consider him to be somewhat of a PG), but out of your list, I'd rank them:

Hinrich
Collins
Taylor
Miles
Robinson

Chalmers would rank 2nd out of those guys, though.

Ceej 03-29-2012 02:01 PM

And not to change the subject entirely....but what's everyone's interpretation of point guard? Just curious.

KC_Connection 03-29-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8502469)
And not to change the subject entirely....but what's everyone's interpretation of point guard? Just curious.

Their main role on the team has to be facilitating the basketball/running the offense. LeBron is kind of a PG by that definition.

Ceej 03-29-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8502479)
Their main role on the team has to be facilitating the basketball/running the offense. LeBron is kind of a PG by that definition.

My interpretation of PG is a leader. Someone who can dish the rock, shoot the ball efficiently, solid defender and someone who can get to the rim/foul line when a basket is needed.

Braincase 03-29-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 8502335)
Hinrich and Vaughn are two of my favorite all-time jayhawks

I'd love to see Vaughn on the bench. Smartest guard we had under Roy. I bet he'd be great calling on recruits, too. Charismatic.

RealSNR 03-29-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8502492)
My interpretation of PG is a leader. Someone who can dish the rock, shoot the ball efficiently, solid defender and someone who can get to the rim/foul line when a basket is needed.

Would you say that when KU has Johnson and Taylor on the court at the same time, they work with two point guards? Or is Taylor the point and Johnson kind of serves as the 2 for that moment.

Buehler445 03-29-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8500243)
I haven't hated a college player as much as the whiny, little hacker (Aaron Craft) since Hansbrough in 2008. The guy's brand of defense is slapping hands/wrists/arms to knock balls loose. Please win the matchup, Tyshawn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8502443)
I guess it depends on your interpretation of true pg. RR was a great defender and pretty much average at everything else.

I think Hinrich and TT are leaps and bounds better at the PG spot.

Robinson had an absurd amount of assists in his time. He was a good PG.

Ceej 03-29-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8502500)
Would you say that when KU has Johnson and Taylor on the court at the same time, they work with two point guards? Or is Taylor the point and Johnson kind of serves as the 2 for that moment.

That's a super tough call.

They're basically the same sized player. Obviously, they've got their own pros and cons. I think you could say TT is more of the PG because he's the primary ballhandler. But after what we've seen in the tournament so far EJ is also just as capable.

I think you could classify either as the #1 or #2.

Ceej 03-29-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8502505)
Robinson had an absurd amount of assists in his time. He was a good PG.

He was solid, no doubt. He's shooting, however could have been better.

Braincase 03-29-2012 02:58 PM

Kansas #2 in Faculty Fulbright Scholars...
#1 in city planning/urban dev programs...
#1 in special education...
#4 in pharmacy research...

And rising fast in a number of other programs (personally, I'm excited about Medical Device Design in the BioMechanical Engineering Program).