ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life The Flopnuts Fatties Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262790)

Frosty 08-28-2012 02:14 PM

BTW, I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from doing keto or anything like that. I was doing zero carb, not what Buck was talking about, so wasn't getting any carb at all. I was just pointing out that there were a few things to watch for.

I have to say that nothing kills my appetite like ZC. I almost have to remind myself to eat.

keg in kc 08-28-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 8859740)
It's keg! I thought maybe you left forever or something.

Nah, just a little offseason vacation. It helps the sanity.

Mr. Flopnuts 08-28-2012 03:35 PM

Thanks Keg. That's where I'm at. I said often times over the last couple of years I was making a conscious decision to get fat again. At least I know what to do, how to do it, and I'm not in nearly as poor of shape as I was the first time. Life's good. I'm just impatient as a mother****er.

Buck 08-28-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 8859661)
http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=1743

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=2028

It doesn't happen to everyone and it seems to be avoided by consuming about 50 g carbs per day.

When you go very low carb (VLC), your body tries to maintain blood sugar levels through the glycogen stored in your liver. Eventually your body switches over to ketones for fuel, reducing the need for glucose. However, not everything in your body can run on ketones, so some glucose is still necessary (about 50 g /day). If you aren't eating carbs that glucose has to come primarily from converting protein to glucose (gluconeogenesis).

Gluconeogenesis isn't very efficient, though, and it takes about 2g of protein for 1g of glucose. If you aren't getting enough protein or exercising too hard (like long distance running or biking) you can end up in a state of permanently depleted liver glycogen, which is a sign of starvation to the body. The body reacts to this by slowing the metabolism (through the thyroid).

Refeeds and diet breaks work because they replenish the liver glycogen, signalling the thyroid that everything is fine and you aren't starving. Also, I think some people are just better at gluconeogenesis and can keep their glycogen topped off.

BTW, if you do LC below 50g/day, you need to increase your protein intake quite a bit to avoid losing muscle while trying to maintain blood sugar levels.

Just wondering how old you are.

Frosty 08-28-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8860043)
Just wondering how old you are.

Was 46 when started ZC.

Buck 08-28-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 8860052)
Was 46 when started ZC.

When I went to the doc he gave me a clean bill of health and said my thyroid was okay.

I'm wondering if age has anything to do with it.

Don't you have gluten-allergies too? Could your problems with zero Carb possibly be elated to some inherent issue with that sensitivity?

Frosty 08-28-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8860062)
When I went to the doc he gave me a clean bill of health and said my thyroid was okay.

I'm wondering if age has anything to do with it.

Don't you have gluten-allergies too? Could your problems with zero Carb possibly be elated to some inherent issue with that sensitivity?

Maybe. I've always had a hard time getting keto adapted. It takes me a long time to get over the carb flu when going low carb.

However, the studies back up what I said. VLC mimics starvation so it isn't surprising that your body would react to VLC as it would starvation (slowing the metabolism). Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be a permanent adaptation, so refeeds and diet breaks are useful to overcome the problem.

I was very active in the ZC and VLC communities and knew quite a few people, both young and older, that had the same kind of reaction to long term VLC. I also knew a lot of people that seemed to take to it well over the long term, so it seems highly individualistic.

I'm not bashing it. It worked great for me for quick weight loss; I just can't stay on it long term.

jiveturkey 08-28-2012 04:00 PM

I've been on Paleo for a while now and I'm down 45 lbs on the year. My weight is below what it was when I was 19 and my performance exceeds what I was at during my physical peak in the military.

I recommend it to everyone that asks and to family members that don't.

It's lower carb than a standard diet but I personally eat fruit everyday and I eat veggies that are high in carbs. Going extreme low carb seems to f with me.

It's basically the elimination of sugar and grains (rice, wheat, corn...). One of the best books that I can recommend is http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Pale...balanced+bites

The recipes rock and she breaks down the diet in a very basic way. There's a lot of other books that get way more scientific but those seem to scare people away.

Sign up for this newsletter and get yourself his workout book http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subsc...#axzz24l6P4cJj

It's helped me simplify things. I no longer f around with long distance cardio and I regularly kick my own ass with his sprinting program. My friend who is a marathoner was blown away by basic sprints and we were both sore as a mofo after our first attempt. It's a great workout. I also dig the basic pullup/pushup workouts. I'm building muscle faster that I ever did with crazy weight workouts.

jiveturkey 08-28-2012 04:03 PM

And I requested to join the group.

morphius 08-28-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8860097)
I've been on Paleo for a while now and I'm down 45 lbs on the year. My weight is below what it was when I was 19 and my performance exceeds what I was at during my physical peak in the military.

I recommend it to everyone that asks and to family members that don't.

It's lower carb than a standard diet but I personally eat fruit everyday and I eat veggies that are high in carbs. Going extreme low carb seems to f with me.

It's basically the elimination of sugar and grains (rice, wheat, corn...). One of the best books that I can recommend is http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Pale...balanced+bites

The recipes rock and she breaks down the diet in a very basic way. There's a lot of other books that get way more scientific but those seem to scare people away.

Sign up for this newsletter and get yourself his workout book http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subsc...#axzz24l6P4cJj

It's helped me simplify things. I no longer f around with long distance cardio and I regularly kick my own ass with his sprinting program. My friend who is a marathoner was blown away by basic sprints and we were both sore as a mofo after our first attempt. It's a great workout. I also dig the basic pullup/pushup workouts. I'm building muscle faster that I ever did with crazy weight workouts.

For cardio I do prefer HIIT, it can be a killer compared to most other routines. I'm trying to work my way back into it as earlier this year I was doing 60 second sprints, 60 seconds rest 10 times.

Frosty 08-28-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8860105)
And I requested to join the group.

So did I

jiveturkey 08-28-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 8860117)
For cardio I do prefer HIIT, it can be a killer compared to most other routines. I'm trying to work my way back into it as earlier this year I was doing 60 second sprints, 60 seconds rest 10 times.

I just started the sprinting and only do it once a week.

I do 6 x 50 meters at half speed and then 6 x 50 all out with a 400 meter warm up.

The first attempt left my lower body in shambles. The 2nd attempt was better but I was still sore for 3 days and my latest attempt felt really good.

I'm surprised that there's so many muscles that I wasn't hitting with distance running, swimming or weights in the past.

I'll start mixing in hill sprints and working up to 100 meter workouts eventually.

NewChief 08-28-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8860127)
I just started the sprinting and only do it once a week.

I do 6 x 50 meters at half speed and then 6 x 50 all out with a 400 meter warm up.

The first attempt left my lower body in shambles. The 2nd attempt was better but I was still sore for 3 days and my latest attempt felt really good.

I'm surprised that there's so many muscles that I wasn't hitting with distance running, swimming or weights in the past.

I'll start mixing in hill sprints and working up to 100 meter workouts eventually.

I've posted it up before, but I think this is worth reposting:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-B-m37Kfhc9...-vs-sprint.jpg

Mr. Flopnuts 08-28-2012 04:38 PM

Love that picture. I'm going to do a weigh in on 09/01 for anyone who wants too. I already know my approximate starting weight, and I'm purposely waiting until 10/01 to find out where I'm at. I don't want a scale to be a part of this process for the first 2-3 months. I'm going to weigh monthly just to make sure I'm hitting targets and for adjustment purposes. The last time I did this I obsessed over the scale way too much. I'd like to find something else to obsess over this time around. :)

Marcellus 08-28-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8860171)
Love that picture. I'm going to do a weigh in on 09/01 for anyone who wants too. I already know my approximate starting weight, and I'm purposely waiting until 10/01 to find out where I'm at. I don't want a scale to be a part of this process for the first 2-3 months. I'm going to weigh monthly just to make sure I'm hitting targets and for adjustment purposes. The last time I did this I obsessed over the scale way too much. I'd like to find something else to obsess over this time around. :)

What kind of phone you have?

Mr. Flopnuts 08-28-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 8860215)
What kind of phone you have?

Samsung galaxy s3.

Mr. Plow 08-28-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8860291)
Samsung galaxy s3.

Man I want one. Love my S2.

Mr. Flopnuts 08-28-2012 06:04 PM

Your Food Diary For: Prev Tuesday August 28, 2012 Next
Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein
Snacks - Popcorn, oil-popped, 1 cup 55 6 3 1

Lunch
Oroweat - Country Potato Bread, 1 slice 100 20 1 3
Beaver - Cream Style Horseradish, 2 tsp 20 4 2 0
Generic - 90% Lean 10% Fat Ground Sirloin Burgers, 3.96 oz 238 0 11 15

Dinner
Generic - Egg Scrambled - Large, 3 egg 210 2 14 21
Farmland - Center Cut 30% Less Fat Naturally Hickory Smoked Bacon, 4.5 slices (15g) 105 0 6 11
Jimmy Dean - Premium Pork Hot Sausage, 3 oz. Cooked (56g) 300 2 26 14
Add Food Quick Tools 615 4 46 46
Snacks
Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 0.5 cup 61 6 2 4

Totals 1,089 40 65 69
Your Daily Goal 3,084 424 103 115
Remaining 1,995 384 38 46

I haven't set anything up. My target is 1000-1200 calories a day, protein (and now fat) heavy. Dinner was my first low carb meal. Staple. I'll be eating a lot of it. I burned about 700 calories exercising today, and burn 3000 just breathing. We'll see how it all pans out long term.

bevischief 08-28-2012 06:10 PM

So how do you feel?

Mr. Flopnuts 08-28-2012 06:14 PM

Great. I'm pretty sore, but that's from getting off of my ass. I didn't officially go low carb until late this afternoon, as dinner reflects. I talked to Buck, so I know to expect the carb hangover, or whatever you want to call it. As far as low calories go, no big deal. I've ran 5 miles coming off of a 36 hour fast, so I know that eat before you workout stuff is bullshit. As long as you're getting enough protein everyday, the hunger goes away after a couple of weeks.

The Franchise 08-28-2012 06:19 PM

Question since you're going keto.

What kind of recipes are you looking at? I'm trying to find easy things that don't require a lot of work.

Are you going zero carb or keeping it under 50?

bevischief 08-28-2012 06:22 PM

What did the rest of the crew do today?

Saulbadguy 08-28-2012 06:29 PM

Breakfast-
4 oz Skim Milk
1 slice of toast (45 calorie Sara Lee)

Morning snack -
Banana
Light string chz

Lunch -
Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs
1 Kiwi

Snack-
Apple

Dinner -
28 oz Light beer
1 Tomato w/ 2 tbps balsamic vinegar
6 garlic stuffed olives
"Smart ones" TV dinner
1 slice bread
1 single serving Broccoli w/ chz

Snack -
1 slice bread /w natural peanut butter
1 Edy's "fruit bar"

Mr. Flopnuts 08-28-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8860344)

What kind of recipes are you looking at? I'm trying to find easy things that don't require a lot of work.

Haven't even looked. The fat requirement tastes great but nets less food. Low carb veggie increase is coming. Eggs will be a staple.

jiveturkey 08-28-2012 06:40 PM

Lunch-left over beef short ribs slow cooked in tomato sauce/balsamic vinegar and dates with a side of diced carrots baked with diced dates (I used left over bacon grease on the carrots).

Dinner- chipolte cubed chicken breast cooked in coconut oil. I then used butter lettuce and made wraps with avacado and grape tomatoes. The chipotle seasoning was nice and spicy.

Post workout snack-banana with approximately 1 tbsp of buckwheat honey.

I don't eat breakfast.

I'll likely sneak a small piece of dark/mint chocolate later.

bevischief 08-28-2012 06:56 PM

Just trying to help you guys out here. It's hard at first but it is worth it long term. So keep it up.

Buck 08-28-2012 08:06 PM

I don't know what my calories and shit were because I pretty much stopped counting, but here's what I ate.

Breakfast -
Coffee w/ 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream & Splenda
6 Slices Bacon
1 Egg

Lunch -
2 Pork Chops (4 oz each)
Salad w/ 1 Tbsp of Ranch Dressing

Dinner-
10 oz Carne Asada (marinated skirt steak)
2 Tbsp Guacamole

Buck 08-28-2012 08:06 PM

And I'm home now Flop if you have anything you want to know, I couldn't talk any longer earlier.

Buck 08-28-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8860368)
Breakfast-
4 oz Skim Milk
1 slice of toast (45 calorie Sara Lee)

Morning snack -
Banana
Light string chz

Lunch -
Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs
1 Kiwi

Snack-
Apple

Dinner -
28 oz Light beer
1 Tomato w/ 2 tbps balsamic vinegar
6 garlic stuffed olives
"Smart ones" TV dinner
1 slice bread
1 single serving Broccoli w/ chz

Snack -
1 slice bread /w natural peanut butter
1 Edy's "fruit bar"

Why did you have to ruin a perfectly good day with Chef Boyardee?

Buck 08-28-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8860344)

Here's my bread and butter.

1 lb of 80/20 (85/15 is okay too) ground beef.
Half a can of diced tomatoes (get the ones that are seasoned with garlic or something Hunts brand I think.. this is optional)
~20 pepperoni slices
~1 cup of some Italian style shredded cheese.

1. Season the ground beef w/hamburger or Italian seasonings and brown and drain.

2. Turn to lowest heat setting and either put the half can of tomatoes (less juice the better) in the food processor and then into the pan or just the tomatoes right into the pan of ground beef. Mix. (optional)

3. Layer the pepperonis on top and let it simmer for about 5-10 min.

4. Layer the shredded cheese on top.

5. Put the pan under the broiler at 300 degrees for 4-6 min (until cheese is golden brown or less time if you just want cheese melted.

It's like Keto Pizza. The pic is this w/out the tomato sauce.

http://i.imgur.com/xpPFg.jpg

Ceej 08-28-2012 08:34 PM

Breakfast - 2% milk, Special K honey oat cereal

Lunch - salad with bacon ranch

Dinner - grilled chicken on some tortilla chips with cheese, salsa

Dessert - strawberries and grapes

All I drank was water today and walked 1.6 miles.

Bought a bunch of fruit, chicken, salad for lunches and breakfast at work.

Saulbadguy 08-28-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8860625)
Why did you have to ruin a perfectly good day with Chef Boyardee?

Shit is really convenient. 45 seconds in the 'wave and I'm back at my desk for some lunchtime BBS'n.

luv 08-28-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8860419)
Lunch-left over beef short ribs slow cooked in tomato sauce/balsamic vinegar and dates with a side of diced carrots baked with diced dates (I used left over bacon grease on the carrots).

Dinner- chipolte cubed chicken breast cooked in coconut oil. I then used butter lettuce and made wraps with avacado and grape tomatoes. The chipotle seasoning was nice and spicy.

Post workout snack-banana with approximately 1 tbsp of buckwheat honey.

I don't eat breakfast.

I'll likely sneak a small piece of dark/mint chocolate later.

Did you know that having some type of protein within an hour after waking up gives you an extra boost of energy about 6 hours later? I quit drinking my protein shakes for breakfast for a little while (I'm not a breakfast person either), and I can definitely tell a huge difference come about 2pm.

Rain Man 08-28-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8860619)
I don't know what my calories and shit were because I pretty much stopped counting, but here's what I ate.

Breakfast -
Coffee w/ 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream & Splenda
6 Slices Bacon
1 Egg

Lunch -
2 Pork Chops (4 oz each)
Salad w/ 1 Tbsp of Ranch Dressing

Dinner-
10 oz Carne Asada (marinated skirt steak)
2 Tbsp Guacamole

I'm not seeing your five daily fruits and vegetables here.

TLO 08-29-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8860837)
Did you know that having some type of protein within an hour after waking up gives you an extra boost of energy about 6 hours later? I quit drinking my protein shakes for breakfast for a little while (I'm not a breakfast person either), and I can definitely tell a huge difference come about 2pm.

5 hour energy. For that 2:30 feeling.

Mr. Flopnuts 08-29-2012 05:26 AM

Done. Back was better this morning. Feeling good about my day.

Saulbadguy 08-29-2012 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8860883)
I'm not seeing your five daily fruits and vegetables here.

The animals he ate consumed lots of corn, perhaps that counts.

Saulbadguy 08-29-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

link please

Saulbadguy 08-29-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8861212)

Go forth and dominate, my friend.

Buck 08-29-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8861212)

That's good. I've noticed that I don't have nearly as many aches and pains anymore. Losing weight does wonders for your joints.

Predarat 08-29-2012 06:58 AM

I'm in but cannot join the group until I get home.

luv 08-29-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8861229)
link please

I learned that from my trainer as well as a nutritionist I talked to. If you feel the need to research it, go right ahead.

jiveturkey 08-29-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

I don't have an issue with energy.

luv 08-29-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8861309)
I don't have an issue with energy.

Then never mind.

Ceej 08-29-2012 07:44 AM

Breakfast today -- sugar free Amp. I also have some bananas, an apple and an orange.

Lunch with be salad with a little bacon ranch.

Dinner will be grilled chicken with corn.

Dessert will be more grapes and strawberries.

luv 08-29-2012 07:53 AM

For those drastically cutting calories, just remember that calories are energy. If you find that you're feeling more fatigued, then you may just need to try eating a bit more or drinking more water (don't want to cramp up).

Sorry, Saul, no link for that either.

Saulbadguy 08-29-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8861367)
For those drastically cutting calories, just remember that calories are energy. If you find that you're feeling more fatigued, then you may just need to try eating a bit more or drinking more water (don't want to cramp up).

Sorry, Saul, no link for that either.

Coffee. 0 calories, UNLIMITED POWER

Mr. Flopnuts 08-29-2012 08:07 AM

Guys, I love sharing info here but let's be positive with one another. We'll figure out what works for us individually. It's fine to disagree, just make sure we don't make anyone feel unwelcome. We're all reaching for the same goals.

luv 08-29-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8861380)

My coffee is 40 calories per cup. I haven't mastered drinking it black yet. No sugar, and one of those single serving liquid creamer thingies is 40 calories. I never drink more than two cups. So basically 80 calories and a banana has been my breakfasts as of late. Protein shakes start again next week, so no more coffee.

Saulbadguy 08-29-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8861414)
My coffee is 40 calories per cup. I haven't mastered drinking it black yet. No sugar, and one of those single serving liquid creamer thingies is 40 calories. I never drink more than two cups. So basically 80 calories and a banana has been my breakfasts as of late. Protein shakes start again next week, so no more coffee.

What kind of coffee are you drinking? I'd recommend a light roast, things that say "breakfast blend" or something like that. Also not folgers/maxwell house.

Ceej 08-29-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8861394)
Guys, I love sharing info here but let's be positive with one another. We'll figure out what works for us individually. It's fine to disagree, just make sure we don't make anyone feel unwelcome. We're all reaching for the same goals.

NO!!!!!11

**** YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!11111111

:)

Aspengc8 08-29-2012 08:28 AM

Just my $.02 for your guys doing keto. Make sure your eating a lot of green leafy veggies. Sautee some brocc or spinach in olive oil and garlic, its very good and helps 'move things aloong'. Definitely take a EFA/fish oil supplement, especially with all the sat fat your eating. Try to stay away from prcoessed crap meats like pepperoni, salami, etc. Also remember that total calories ultimately count, and its very easy to go over your daily cals since fat is double the cals of protein or carbs.

I used the metabolic diet (CKD) for about a year to get weight in check. It is a great diet, but absolutely sucks if your trying to lift any reasonably amount of weight, play a intense sport or build muscle. Takes a couple weeks for your body to adapt to fat as your main source of energy instead of carbs, so the first couple weeks suck, you have to push through it.

Good luck.

luv 08-29-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8861430)
What kind of coffee are you drinking? I'd recommend a light roast, things that say "breakfast blend" or something like that. Also not folgers/maxwell house.

Jackson Brothers of the South Coffee - President's Choice (what we have delivered here at work)

Buck 08-29-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 8861452)
Just my $.02 for your guys doing keto. Make sure your eating a lot of green leafy veggies. Sautee some brocc or spinach in olive oil and garlic, its very good and helps 'move things aloong'. Definitely take a EFA/fish oil supplement, especially with all the sat fat your eating. Try to stay away from prcoessed crap meats like pepperoni, salami, etc. Also remember that total calories ultimately count, and its very easy to go over your daily cals since fat is double the cals of protein or carbs.

I used the metabolic diet (CKD) for about a year to get weight in check. It is a great diet, but absolutely sucks if your trying to lift any reasonably amount of weight, play a intense sport or build muscle. Takes a couple weeks for your body to adapt to fat as your main source of energy instead of carbs, so the first couple weeks suck, you have to push through it.

Good luck.

Agree with most of what you're saying except the part about pepperoni and salami. That stuff is fine.

58-4ever 08-29-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8861380)

Coffee FTW!

The Franchise 08-29-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8861430)

I've found that Dunkin Donuts coffee (the stuff in the grocery store) doesn't taste to bad plain.

TLO 08-29-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8861352)
Breakfast today -- sugar free Amp. I also have some bananas, an apple and an orange.

Lunch with be salad with a little bacon ranch.

Dinner will be grilled chicken with corn.

Dessert will be more grapes and strawberries.

That sounds delicious. I can honestly say I wish I could afford to eat like that. Being a recent college graduate out on my own I can't afford much...

NewChief 08-29-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 8861814)
That sounds delicious. I can honestly say I wish I could afford to eat like that. Being a recent college graduate out on my own I can't afford much...

None of that food is expensive.

TLO 08-29-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8861828)
None of that food is expensive.

It's expensive enough. How are you going to sit there and tell me what I can and can't afford to eat?

NewChief 08-29-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 8861859)
It's expensive enough. How are you going to sit there and tell me what I can and can't afford to eat?

I'm just telling you that I don't see how that food is more expensive than any other food, especially if you're eating out.

Saulbadguy 08-29-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 8861814)

the AMP is probably the most expensive thing.

TLO 08-29-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8861864)
I'm just telling you that I don't see how that food is more expensive than any other food, especially if you're eating out.

I understand what you're saying. Typically I will eat some cheap Knorr noodles or a package of rice for dinner though.

NewChief 08-29-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8861869)
the AMP is probably the most expensive thing.

No shit. Take the AMP out, and the entire day costs about $5.

NewChief 08-29-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 8861883)
So everyone in the word can afford $10 worth of food everyday? That's assuming you eat two of those meals a day and drink water.

That "meal" was all 3 of his meals, the total cost of which I estimate to be around $5.

TLO 08-29-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8861889)
That "meal" was all 3 of his meals, the total cost of which I estimate to be around $5.

Yeah I caught that now.

NewChief 08-29-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 8861894)
Yeah I caught that now.

But I do understand that proteins and fresh fruits are a luxury for a small segment of our population, and I sympathize with them.

But there are way more people out there who don't know how to shop and prepare their own food and vastly overestimate the amount of money it costs, thinking instead that it's cheaper to just buy dollar meals from the nearest fast food joint (not counting you among those people, of course) or boxes of mac and cheese/TV dinners.

TLO 08-29-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8861904)
But I do understand that proteins and fresh fruits are a luxury for a small segment of our population, and I sympathize with them.

But there are way more people out there who don't know how to shop and prepare their own food and vastly overestimate the amount of money it costs, thinking instead that it's cheaper to just buy dollar meals from the nearest fast food joint (not counting you among those people, of course) or boxes of mac and cheese/TV dinners.

And I'm not so bad off that I have to worry about where my next meal is going to come from or anything. Obviously- I mean I'm sitting here in my apartment watching TV and browsing the internet. I think I do overestimate the amount of money it costs to prepare fresh food though. I'm sure I could eat better than I do and it wouldn't be as expensive as I think.

Ceej 08-29-2012 12:03 PM

I bought the 4-pack of AMP on sale. :) They were like $8.99.

But, it is a pretty good meal.

My parents got me a Foreman grill -- $40.

You can buy Tyson Frozen chicken breasts for like 7.99 a bag.

Anything is cheaper than eating out.

I think I spent $63 on groceries my last trip. This oughta last me a week or week and a half.

The Franchise 08-29-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8862057)
I bought the 4-pack of AMP on sale. :) They were like $8.99.

But, it is a pretty good meal.

My parents got me a Foreman grill -- $40.

You can buy Tyson Frozen chicken breasts for like 7.99 a bag.

Anything is cheaper than eating out.

I think I spent $63 on groceries my last trip. This oughta last me a week or week and a half.

Another excuse....but it was so much ****ing easier to lose weight when I was single. I could buy groceries and eat the same shit for weeks on end. It usually consisted of salads, soups and sandwiches.

NewChief 08-29-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8862196)
Another excuse....but it was so much ****ing easier to lose weight when I was single. I could buy groceries and eat the same shit for weeks on end. It usually consisted of salads, soups and sandwiches.

This is very true. It's much, much harder to regulate my diet when I have to eat with my family. I saw someone post about buying lunch at a restaurant, eating half, then eating half when you get home for supper. Clearly a single man's strategy.

Ceej 08-29-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

That makes plenty of sense. I am perfectly content eating the same food, or a variation of it. I love chicken. I've got three or four different dry rubs I can use to mix it up.

My girlfriend lives in green bay. She has a cheese tasting tour planned and also Octoberfest is going on when I'm visiting next month.

I'm so screwed.

The Franchise 08-29-2012 01:01 PM

I had my shit down to a science when I was single. Eggs in the morning because it takes me 20 minutes to shower and get dressed. Sandwich and fruit for lunch. Get off work.....hop on the treadmill and play a game of Madden (Yeah I perfected that shit).....shower and then usually eat a salad or chicken for dinner.

Now that shit isn't possible because I have to spend my mornings getting the kids ready to go. Lunch is usually rushed because I'm running errands and after work is spent on homework and making sure the kids don't kill each other.

Ceej 08-29-2012 01:04 PM

I'm not married.

But I can't imagine coming home and saying "no" to my wife after she fixed country fried steak and mashed potatoes or something or the sort.

luv 08-29-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8862220)
I'm not married.

But I can't imagine coming home and saying "no" to my wife after she fixed country fried steak and mashed potatoes or something or the sort.

At the same time, your wife would surely know about your diet and try to assist you by not cooking stuff like that (when you're around).

Ceej 08-29-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8862222)
At the same time, your wife would surely know about your diet and try to assist you by not cooking stuff like that (when you're around).

Well, yeah.

I was just speaking hypothetically.

But, when I marry a banging hot super model who doesn't ever gain weight she may be cooking me meals like that!

Frosty 08-29-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

I have a real hard time coordinating what and when I want to eat with the family dinner. My wife gets frustrated trying to plan meals and I usually just cave and eat what they eat. I also like to eat only when physically hungry and that doesn't always line up with when dinner is ready.

It will be a lot easier when the boys are out of the house. My wife doesn't mind simple dinners whenever but it's harder to do with two voracious teen boys in the house.

Saulbadguy 08-29-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8862222)

Yep, this is how we roll. She doesn't ask me to go to places that only serve food that is terrible for me either.

Aspengc8 08-29-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8861491)
Agree with most of what you're saying except the part about pepperoni and salami. That stuff is fine.

Fine maybe once a week. There's no way I'd eat that sh1t every day. I don't have a problem with the fat or protein content.. its the damn nitrates/nitrites they use a preservatives.

Saul Good 08-29-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8862199)
This is very true. It's much, much harder to regulate my diet when I have to eat with my family. I saw someone post about buying lunch at a restaurant, eating half, then eating half when you get home for supper. Clearly a single man's strategy.

I'm married with two kids. My wedding ring doesn't stop me from eating half a sandwich for dinner once or twice a week.

jiveturkey 08-29-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 8862307)
Fine maybe once a week. There's no way I'd eat that sh1t every day. I don't have a problem with the fat or protein content.. its the damn nitrates/nitrites they use a preservatives.

You should look into the fancy stuff at an organic grocery store. Uncured and no nitrates.

It's tasty but like you it's not the kind of thing I'm going to eat everyday.