ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Post your top 5 rock bands of all time (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267183)

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9161931)
I don't really care for Judas Priest. I had "Hellbent For Leather" in high school and I still like that album but am not a big fan otherwise. My son now has almost all of their albums, so I get to hear them a lot. Yay (sarcasm).

I liked Rainbow more than Purple. I saw Rainbow in '81 (with Joe Lynn Turner instead of Dio, unfortunately) and it was a great show.

I was just surprised more people hadn't mentioned them.

Joe Lynn Turner. ROFL

I remember him fronting Malmsteen for "Live in Leningrad", what a tool.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9161936)
I like Rainbow, too. Again, because of Blackmore.

Blackmore AND Dio. :drool:

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9161908)
Well, what I'm not is a sniveling little twat with an overblown sense of self-importance. Was your ex-boyfriend from Boston or something? Sorry about that.

Nah. it might be different of they were like, you know, any OTHER band with a 30/40 year career in music...you know, have more than 4 albums?? Same freaking songs, over and over again. 'Amanda' might just be the worst song Toto never wrote. Tom Scholtz can take that Rockman-compressed guitar tone that he recorded all 4 Boston records with and stick it up HIS ass with a rusty shovel.

Nothing. 4 albums that each sound as dated as the one before it.

At least AC/DC make the same GOOD record over and over again. Done it iver 20 times in the same amount of time it took Boston to do 4.

****, I'm GLAD Boston only has 4 albums. That's all the world can take.

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161965)
I don't really like David Coverdale, so that colors my opinion a bit.

Part of it is that I really became "musically aware" and started to develop tastes distinct from my Dad's (he was a hippy :D) in the 1983-1986 timeframe, about the same time that Whitesnake hit it big. I wanted to see the guitar/rock mags cover Dio, Twisted Sister, and the like and they were covering Whitesnake and Poison instead.

Add to that that Vivian Campbell was in Whitesnake and I can't stand Campbell.

I ****ing hated Whitesnake and by association, David Coverdale.

I like some of the early 80s Whitesnake, when they had more members of ... Deep Purple. :D

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161944)
True, but like the Tommy Bolin-era didn't have the greatest studio output, but those live shows from back then were stunning.

That's cause Bolin was a master improvisationalist...

And a drug fiend...

RIP

Pride of Sioux City, IA!

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161969)
Joe Lynn Turner. ROFL

I remember him fronting Malmsteen for "Live in Leningrad", what a tool.

Joe Lynn Turner...that guy made a career out of 'mop-up duty' - how many bands did he replace Dio in??

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161971)
Blackmore AND Dio. :drool:

Man on the Silver Mountain.

Frosty 11-29-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

I don't really like David Coverdale, so that colors my opinion a bit.

Part of it is that I really became "musically aware" and started to develop tastes distinct from my Dad's (he was a hippy :D) in the 1983-1986 timeframe, about the same time that Whitesnake hit it big. I wanted to see the guitar/rock mags cover Dio, Twisted Sister, and the like and they were covering Whitesnake and Poison instead.

I haven't listened to them in a while but I remember thinking that the early Whitesnake albums, before they hit it big, were pretty good.

Same with early Twisted Sister. "Under The Blade" is really good and I still listen to it. After "Stay Hungry", they turned into a joke ("Leader of the Pack" anyone?).

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9161947)
Have you heard any of Blackmore's Night? I'm a real sucker for that kind of stuff and think it's pretty good stuff.

Heh, I almost asked the same question on here.

Yeah, it's interesting. It took me awhile, though, to get used to the fact that Ritchie was doing it.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

**** Vivian Campbell.

The onky band he was ever associated with while they were any good was Dio...and I'm not really sure how that happened.

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161981)
Joe Lynn Turner...that guy made a career out of 'mop-up duty' - how many bands did he replace Dio in??

He's the Ted McGinley of hard rock.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161981)

Dude, you don't even want to get into a Ritchie Blackmore/Yngwie Malmsteen "6 degrees of separation" thing.

Joe Lynn Turner wasn't even the worst band jumper. That honor belongs to Graham Bonnet.

Reerun_KC 11-29-2012 03:06 PM

Vivian Campbell is moving up the list of my favorite gutarists...

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9161947)
Have you heard any of Blackmore's Night? I'm a real sucker for that kind of stuff and think it's pretty good stuff.

****ing LOVE it. The fingerpicking is amazing, and those harmonies...weird melodies, too. It's so different, but it's surely amazing.

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161993)
Dude, you don't even want to get into a Ritchie Blackmore/Yngwie Malmsteen "6 degrees of separation" thing.

Joe Lynn Turner wasn't even the worst band jumper. That honor belongs to Graham Bonnet.

I've got Rainbow's "Finyl Vinyl" that has EVERY lead singer on it. LMAO

Frazod 11-29-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161974)
Nah. it might be different of they were like, you know, any OTHER band with a 30/40 year career in music...you know, have more than 4 albums?? Same freaking songs, over and over again. 'Amanda' might just be the worst song Toto never wrote. Tom Scholtz can take that Rockman-compressed guitar tone that he recorded all 4 Boston records with and stick it up HIS ass with a rusty shovel.

Nothing. 4 albums that each sound as dated as the one before it.

At least AC/DC make the same GOOD record over and over again. Done it iver 20 times in the same amount of time it took Boston to do 4.

****, I'm GLAD Boston only has 4 albums. That's all the world can take.

You're like the prince's boyfriend in Braveheart. Who is this person who speaks as though I need his advice?

Don't need your advice. Don't care how much you're impressed with your own opinion or your overinflated sense of self-worth. Musical taste is completely subjective - people who aren't douchy ****ing idiots have figured this out. I personally despise Led Zeppelin, for example, but lots of other people like them, and I don't care. Just don't expect me to listen to it.

Or you.

I love Boston. Always have, always will. If you'd just said you didn't like them, that would be fine. I don't care if you jerk off to the Beastie Boys while watching Eminem videos. But you had to go all Omaha over it. **** you and your shitty opinion. I'll keep on happily listening to Boston. Me and millions of other people who think you suck.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161990)
**** Vivian Campbell.

The onky band he was ever associated with while they were any good was Dio...and I'm not really sure how that happened.

Campbell was a young gun and had the tone Dio was looking for. The problem was that Campbell thought he should get equal billing (and pay) as Ronnie. Terribly naive.

And after he left the band, there was a lot of back and forth bad blood between the two. Ronnie said some nasty things but Campbell said stuff that was even worse - like the stuff he wrote with Dio was his worst stuff ever, as he's touring with Whitesnake and Def Leppard. ROFL

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9161991)
He's the Ted McGinley of hard rock.

LMAO

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161993)

Wasn't he the first Rainbow singer?? I have an MSG record with him somewhere maybe???

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 9161994)
Vivian Campbell is moving up the list of my favorite gutarists...

Why? He's kind of a tool.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9161983)
I haven't listened to them in a while but I remember thinking that the early Whitesnake albums, before they hit it big, were pretty good.

Same with early Twisted Sister. "Under The Blade" is really good and I still listen to it. After "Stay Hungry", they turned into a joke ("Leader of the Pack" anyone?).

"Under the Blade" is ****ing hardcore. Brutal shit for back in the day.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9162002)
You're like the prince's boyfriend in Braveheart. Who is this person who speaks as though I need his advice?

Don't need your advice. Don't care how much you're impressed with your own opinion or your overinflated sense of self-worth. Musical taste is completely subjective - people who aren't douchy ****ing idiots have figured this out. I personally despise Led Zeppelin, for example, but lots of other people like them, and I don't care. Just don't expect me to listen to it.

Or you.

I love Boston. Always have, always will. If you'd just said you didn't like them, that would be fine. I don't care if you jerk off to the Beastie Boys while watching Eminem videos. But you had to go all Omaha over it. **** you and your shitty opinion. I'll keep on happily listening to Boston. Me and millions of other people who think you suck.

ROFL

BOSTON OVER ZEPPELIN!!!

:LOL:

Holy ****, yeah you're right - you don't need me at all.

I CAN'T help you!!

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 03:13 PM

We need Dane to drop in on this thread.

"You like [band]? Let me tell you all the stupid shit they did recording [album]. ..."

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9162003)
Campbell was a young gun and had the tone Dio was looking for. The problem was that Campbell thought he should get equal billing (and pay) as Ronnie. Terribly naive.

And after he left the band, there was a lot of back and forth bad blood between the two. Ronnie said some nasty things but Campbell said stuff that was even worse - like the stuff he wrote with Dio was his worst stuff ever, as he's touring with Whitesnake and Def Leppard. ROFL

Well, maybe Vivian Campbell is also a Boston fan??

:evil:

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9162007)
Wasn't he the first Rainbow singer?? I have an MSG record with him somewhere maybe???

He was in Rainbow after Dio.

And yes, he was in MSG. :D

He had a solo album with Mick Moody and Jon Lord (after Deep Purple, before Whitesnake).

He was in Alcatrazz, both the Malmsteen version AND the Steve Vai version.

He fronted a band with Malmsteen clone Chris Impelliteri (awful, awful ****ing soul-less music).

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-29-2012 03:15 PM

Alice Cooper
Kiss
Marilyn Manson
Pearl Jam
Led Zep

Honorable emntion to Hansen

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9162032)

And yes, he was in MSG. :D

He had a solo album with Mick Moody and Jon Lord (after Deep Purple, before Whitesnake).

He was in Alcatrazz, both the Malmsteen version AND the Steve Vai version.

He fronted a band with Malmsteen clone Chris Impelliteri (awful, awful ****ing soul-less music).

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

There was Rainbow after Dio???!!

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9162037)

LMAO

"Stone cooooooold ..."

Frosty 11-29-2012 03:16 PM

I have a hard time listening to later Dio albums (including the third Sabbath album with him as well as Heaven and Hell (band, not album)). His voice really went downhill as he got older.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9162035)
Alice Cooper
Kiss
Marilyn Manson
Pearl Jam
Led Zep

Honorable emntion to Hansen

All of them, better than Boston.

Even Hansen.

And for the record, totally would rather listen to the Beastie Bous or Eminem over Boston.

Because Boston is ****ing horrible.

Worst 'band' ever.

Frosty 11-29-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9162032)

And after Graham Bonnet.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9162037)

Absolutely.

They only released one album but it was a top 10 hit over in England. "Since You Been Gone" is probably the song you're most likely to have heard.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9162042)
I have a hard time listening to later Dio albums (including the third Sabbath album with him as well as Heaven and Hell (band, not album)). His voice really went downhill as he got older.

He couldn't hold the notes as long, but I thought that Dehumanizer and The Heaven & Hell record were both really good.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-29-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9162050)
All of them, better than Boston.

Even Hansen.

And for the record, totally would rather listen to the Beastie Bous or Eminem over Boston.

Because Boston is ****ing horrible.

Worst 'band' ever.

I like Boston. They just didn't make my top 5. Or probably 20.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9162056)
Absolutely.

They only released one album but it was a top 10 hit over in England. "Since You Been Gone" is probably the song you're most likely to have heard.

Ah, see - I thought that was pre-Dio.

go figger.

Frosty 11-29-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9162040)
LMAO

"Stone cooooooold ..."

Meh. Better than "Streets of Dreams".

"Power" and "Death Alley Driver" weren't bad for the times. Mostly it suffered by comparison to the Dio years.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9162059)
I like Boston. They just didn't make my top 5. Or probably 20.

they're at the top of my 'bands that suck the most' list.

Used to be Styx; Boston took the lead for a day.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

No ****ing way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNJ0fMdeWEc#!

Every one of these metal singers lose their voice to some extent, even Ronnie.

But even right before his death, he was still the KING.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9162064)

"Power" and "Death Alley Driver" weren't bad for the times. Mostly it suffered by comparison to the Dio years.

It's hard to top Blackmore w/Dio, Roger Glover, Cozy Powell, et. al.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9162064)

Dio left the band because Ritchie wanted to take the band in a more "commercial" direction.

And IIRC, Blackmore left Deep Purple because everybody BUT him wanted to take the band in a more "commercial" direction.

Go figure.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-29-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9162068)
they're at the top of my 'bands that suck the most' list.

Used to be Styx; Boston took the lead for a day.

I like Styx too. If you've ever noticed any of the stuff I've posted in the random music video thread... and I was the author of the country music repository thread after all... then you know I like a very wide range of music. Some of almost everything. I can do without gangsta rap and opera.

Frosty 11-29-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9162071)
No ****ing way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNJ0fMdeWEc#!

Every one of these metal singers lose their voice to some extent, even Ronnie.

But even right before his death, he was still the KING.

No way - it was crap. Crap I say! And you suck for liking it.

(that was sarcasm and I didn't mean anything by it)

Seriously, though. Dio with Rainbow, his first two albums with Sabbath and his first couple of solo albums were all during my formative years (saw him with Sabbath and as a solo artist for his first album) so it's hard for me to hear the later stuff. Just a personal thing. I still think he was a great singer.

Frosty 11-29-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9162080)
Dio left the band because Ritchie wanted to take the band in a more "commercial" direction.

And IIRC, Blackmore left Deep Purple because everybody BUT him wanted to take the band in a more "commercial" direction.

Go figure.

I disliked the Bonnet album more than the Turner albums, though I don't really listen to any of them anymore. "Can't Happen Here" was pretty good, though.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9162087)
I like Styx too. If you've ever noticed any of the stuff I've posted in the random msuic video thread... and I was the author of the country music repository thread after all... then you know I like a very wide range of music. Some of almost everything. I can do without gangsta rap and opera.

I'm pretty much the same way. Love me some Waylon, Bobby Bare, George Jones, Conway, Tennessee Ernie Ford...

Jazz, I like Miles, Coltrane, Bird, Cannonball Adderly, McLaughlin etc. the usual suspects.

Blues, too many to mention.

Lately been on a big Steve Marriott/Humble Pie/Faces/Ronnie Wood kick.

Love pretty much everything, don't do opera. And absolutely cannot stand Boston, Styx, REO, Foreigner, and Journey. It's dogshit music for the LCD crowd.

Frazod 11-29-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9162019)
ROFL

BOSTON OVER ZEPPELIN!!!

:LOL:

Holy ****, yeah you're right - you don't need me at all.

I CAN'T help you!!

Oh darn, Driving Miss Omaha doesn't approve of my music. Whatever am I going to do? *sniffle*

DaneMcCloud 11-29-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

He was only a hired gun and never appeared on any Whitesnake record.

Quote:

I'm a huge fan of Coverdale and Whitesnake, outside of the record he did with Vai.

Early Whitesnake is very bluesy. The original version of "Here I Go Again" is borderline Gospel music. The last two records have been very cool, mainly due to Doug Aldrich.

Listen to "Sailaway" on the Deep Purple album, Burn, and you'll hear Chris Cornell's biggest influence.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9162093)
Seriously, though. Dio with Rainbow, his first two albums with Sabbath and his first couple of solo albums were all during my formative years (saw him with Sabbath and as a solo artist for his first album) so it's hard for me to hear the later stuff. Just a personal thing. I still think he was a great singer.

Shame on him for setting the bar so ridiculously HIGH. :D :thumb:

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9162080)

Go figure.

Then Dio put out Rainbow in the Dark and We Rock...

:banghead:

DaneMcCloud 11-29-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9162008)
Why? He's kind of a tool.

"Kind of" is an under statement

DaneMcCloud 11-29-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9162023)
We need Dane to drop in on this thread.

"You like [band]? Let me tell you all the stupid shit they did recording [album]. ..."

What do you want to know?

:D

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9162116)
Shame on him for setting the bar so ridiculously HIGH. :D :thumb:

truth.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9162112)

His name appeared in the liner notes and I was like 12. To me, he was "in the band". :D

Quote:

I'm a huge fan of Coverdale and Whitesnake, outside of the record he did with Vai.

Early Whitesnake is very bluesy. The original version of "Here I Go Again" is borderline Gospel music. The last two records have been very cool, mainly due to Doug Aldrich.

Listen to "Sailaway" on the Deep Purple album, Burn, and you'll hear Chris Cornell's biggest influence.

I probably would have been a Coverdale fan had I discovered Deep Purple BEFORE Whitesnake. Or even if I had been exposed to earlier Whitesnake more heavily.

As it is, my first taste of Whitesnake was "Still of the Night" and all that Led Zeppelin rip-off shit.

EDIT: I should note that I WAS exposed to Deep Purple before Whitesnake but not the Coverdale version. My Dad used to listen to "Machine Head" all the time. "Highway Star" is still one of my favorite songs of all time.

Lumpy 11-29-2012 03:31 PM

Evanescence
Genesis/Phil Collins
Chicago/Peter Cetera
Linkin Park
The Killers

Frazod 11-29-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9162122)
What do you want to know?

:D

Got any good Boston stories? I'm sure Driving Miss Omaha would love to hear them.

DaneMcCloud 11-29-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Huh?

Which albums?

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Burn may just be my favorite DP studio record, start to finish.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9162133)
Huh?

Which albums?

he's gotta be referencing Dehumanizer and the last Sabbath/'Heaven & Hell' record.

Which were really good, btw.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9162118)
Then Dio put out Rainbow in the Dark and We Rock...

Truth.

I'm the biggest Dio fan but to me, his stuff with Black Sabbath is untouchable. It's on a level far above even "Holy Diver".

DaneMcCloud 11-29-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9162127)
His name appeared in the liner notes and I was like 12. :D

I probably would have been a Coverdale fan had I discovered Deep Purple BEFORE Whitesnake. Or even if I had been exposed to earlier Whitesnake more heavily.

As it is, my first taste of Whitesnake was "Still of the Night" and all that Led Zeppelin rip-off shit.

EDIT: I should note that I WAS exposed to Deep Purple before Whitesnake but not the Coverdale version. My Dad used to listen to "Machine Head" all the time. "Highway Star" is still one of my favorite songs of all time.

Go on Spotify and check out early Whitesnake or the latest records (I like Good to Be Bad better than Forevermore but both are very good).

Whitesnake of the 70's and 2000's is completely different than the John Kalodner money grab album of 1987.

DaneMcCloud 11-29-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9162139)
he's gotta be referencing Dehumanizer and the last Sabbath/'Heaven & Hell' record.

Which were really good, btw.

Well, he's wrong.

And Killing The Dragon, IMO, is Dio's best solo album. Great songs, great playing and great production from start to finish.

I wish he had done more records with Doug.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9162143)
Go on Spotify and check out early Whitesnake or the latest records (I like Good to Be Bad better than Forevermore but both are very good).

Whitesnake of the 70's and 2000's is completely different than the John Kalodner money grab album of 1987.

Oh, I've listened to it. I just don't like it. Pre-conditioned. Just one of those things.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9162142)
Truth.

I'm the biggest Dio fan but to me, his stuff with Black Sabbath is untouchable. It's on a level far above even "Holy Diver".

Absolutely.

Ozzy and Dio were at their best w/Sabbath; conversely, any Sabbath w/o Dio or Ozzy doesn't even sound like Sabbath to me.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9162145)
Well, he's wrong.

And Killing The Dragon, IMO, is Dio's best solo album. Great songs, great playing and great production from start to finish.

A case could definitely be made for this. :thumb:

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9162150)
Absolutely.

Ozzy and Dio were at their best w/Sabbath; conversely, any Sabbath w/o Dio or Ozzy doesn't even sound like Sabbath to me.

You mean you don't like Tony Martin? :p

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-29-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9162107)
I'm pretty much the same way. Love me some Waylon, Bobby Bare, George Jones, Conway, Tennessee Ernie Ford...

Jazz, I like Miles, Coltrane, Bird, Cannonball Adderly, McLaughlin etc. the usual suspects.

Blues, too many to mention.

Cool. Speaking of blues, you know Joe Bonamassa? Check him out if not.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9162143)

I HATE bearded ****tard John Kalodner!!

**** him!!

Look what he did to The Black Crowes with By Your Side!! They never ****ing recovered!!

**** John Kalodner!!

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9162155)
Cool. Speaking of blues, you know Joe Bonamassa? Check him out if not.

Ha. Yeah, we play Bridge To Better Days on the reg during long ass bar gigs, usually segue into it from Five To One.

I liked him a lot better before he hooked up with Caveman Shirley. He was a bit more raw back then.

I'm a big Marc Ford fan, Mick Taylor, Jeff Beck, Peter Green.

You ever check out the Steepwater Band??

Frosty 11-29-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9162142)
Truth.

I'm the biggest Dio fan but to me, his stuff with Black Sabbath and Rainbow is untouchable. It's on a level far above even "Holy Diver".

FYP for me.

I was a huge Rainbow fan in high school and was blown away when "Heaven and Hell" came out a couple years later. I also put "Mob Rules" just a slight notch below H&H. "Dehumanizer" and "The Devil You Know" aren't bad; to me, they just aren't up to the same level. Like htismaqe said, the bar was set really high.

DaneMcCloud 11-29-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9162130)
Got any good Boston stories? I'm sure Driving Miss Omaha would love to hear them.

Not really, not that haven't been revealed over the years.

By this point, everyone pretty much knows that Tom recorded the entire record himself, in his basement, on a Scully 12 track machine that he modified.

He built the power soak so that he could record non-Master volume Marshall 1959 amps with the volume knobs cranked, which made for his "unique" sound. He played all the instruments on every track save for one, in which his friend Jim Messina played drums.

He was a keyboardist by nature but B. Goudreau taught him to play guitar. And not ironically, he sounded like Fece (although Fece didn't play on the first record).

He double tracked Brad Delp's vocals on every song but the second take, he'd speed up the tape machine by 5%, then play it back in normal speed. This made for the "wider", "chorused", signature vocal sound.

Tom was really an innovator and the production on that first record, unlike many albums from the 70's and 80's, really stands the test of time as one of the best produced rock albums ever.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9162152)
You mean you don't like Tony Martin? :p

Ha!

NO!

Eternal Idol, TYR, Cross Purposes...all of em are damn near unlistenable.

No wonder Geezer packed it in during that era...

DaneMcCloud 11-29-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9162159)
**** John Kalodner!!

Well, I like John as a person.

And I have Black Crowes stories for days and believe me, their "decline" has nothing to do with Kalodner.

Those brothers are certifiable.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9162171)
Not really, not that haven't been revealed over the years.

By this point, everyone pretty much knows that Tom recorded the entire record himself, in his basement, on a Scully 12 track machine that he modified.

He built the power soak so that he could record non-Master volume Marshall 1959 amps with the volume knobs cranked, which made for his "unique" sound. He played all the instruments on every track save for one, in which his friend Jim Messina played drums.

He was a keyboardist by nature but Fece taught him to play guitar. And not ironically, he sounded like Fece (although Fece didn't play on the first record).

He double tracked Brad Delp's vocals on every song but the second take, he'd speed up the tape machine by 5%, then play it back in normal speed. This made for the "wider", "chorused", signature vocal sound.

Tom was really an innovator and the production on that first record, unlike many albums from the 70's and 80's, really stands the test of time as one of the best produced rock albums ever.

So good that the Rockman and the 80's recording techniques evolved in his wake.

Thanks, Tom.

Frosty 11-29-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Well, he's wrong.

We don't have that one yet. I've heard it's really good.

I find myself fast forwarding whenever something from Master Of the Moon comes on, though.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9162176)
Those brothers are certifiable.

**** yes, they are - Chris especially.

I really don't like the way they handled firing Marc in '97...

What happened with Ed and Marc in '06 on the 'reunion tour'??

Let's get some Crowes dirt going...

DaneMcCloud 11-29-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9162180)
So good that the Rockman and the 80's recording techniques evolved in his wake.

Thanks, Tom.

The Rockman has its place in rock music history. Hysteria wouldn't be the same if Def Leppard had used guitar amps instead of modified Rockman's. Neither would the Theme from Top Gun, in which Steve Stevens used a Rockman.

It's all over 80's music and helped to make the 80's sound as they do.

DaneMcCloud 11-29-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9162127)
His name appeared in the liner notes and I was like 12. To me, he was "in the band". :D

They did? What the ****?

That record was Ansley Dunbar, Neil Murray, John Sykes and obviously, David Coverdale, save for the guitar solo by Adrian Vandenberg on "Here I Go Again".

They must have put Sarzo, Aldridge and Campbell's name on some of the albums and CD's. I know mine had the real players on the CD jacket.

Weird.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9162191)
The Rockman has its place in rock music history. Hysteria wouldn't be the same if Def Leppard had used guitar amps instead of modified Rockman's. Neither would the Theme from Top Gun, in which Steve Stevens used a Rockman.

It's all over 80's music and helped to make the 80's sound as they do.

That's exactly my point, sir.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Well, he's wrong.

Yep.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9162170)
FYP for me.

I was a huge Rainbow fan in high school and was blown away when "Heaven and Hell" came out a couple years later. I also put "Mob Rules" just a slight notch below H&H. "Dehumanizer" and "The Devil You Know" aren't bad; to me, they just aren't up to the same level. Like htismaqe said, the bar was set really high.

I got into Dio in the mid-80s so I actually went BACK to Black Sabbath having gotten into him with "Holy Diver" and "Last in Line". I didn't discover Rainbow until even later, as I was working back through Blackmore's catalog after wearing out my Malmsteen tapes.

However, my preference for Sabbath over Rainbow really doesn't have anything to do with Dio. I just prefer Tony Iommi and the crushing riffs to Ritchie Blackmore's sound.

I put "Mob Rules" above "Heaven and Hell" but only because of quantity rather than quality. "Children of the Sea" is my favorite song, by anybody, but "Voodoo" and "Sign of the Southern Cross" together make "Mob Rules" the better overall album, IMO.

DaneMcCloud 11-29-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9162200)
That's exactly my point, sir.

The Rockman, like any other musical invention, inspires. The sound inspired a generation of producers, artists and musicians to something that had never existed before.

Just like drum machines, digital keyboards, the Synclavier, Sony DASH machines and the first 48 channel SSL consoles, the Rockman opened up a new gateway to creativity in the 1980's.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9162175)
Ha!

NO!

Eternal Idol, TYR, Cross Purposes...all of em are damn near unlistenable.

No wonder Geezer packed it in during that era...

"Headless Cross" is...um...ok...

No, it's not.