ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs John Dorsey agrees to be the Chiefs next GM (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268810)

milkman 01-12-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Janus (Post 9312283)
Your hatred for Dick Vermeil is delusional.

But given the fact you were advocating for a career journeyman coordinator/CFL coach to get strong consideration as the Chiefs next HC before Reid was hired shows your current mental state.

You are an old piece of shit.

Your old disgusting rotting body and hardening arteries are polluting coherent thought on this message board.

Kill yourself already.

I am sorry that you are too stupid to think outside the box.

chiefzilla1501 01-12-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmos (Post 9312258)
Are you hearing if he will be able to bring some GB staff with him?

That would be nice.

Get off to a running start.

Based on what we see in many new regimes, many of the area scouts could stay in place. The regional / national scouts will probably be put on notice, and there's probably no shortage of quality scouts looking for a promotion or experienced personnel guys who are looking for work after losing their job from a previous regime. This will be much easier than hiring an assistant. A lot of talent to pluck from.

BossChief 01-12-2013 11:48 PM

I'm thoroughly convinced we will take Geno Smith with the top pick to finish off the trifecta of awesome moves.

1) He is similar in many ways to Aaron Rodgers and Donovan McNabb...the two chosen quarterbacks of Dorsey and Reid.

2) Andy Reid is a pass first coach and we have no quarterback that can fit his requirements as a passing team.

3) Guys like Andy Reid and John Dorsey don't come to a team like KC and turn down other offers unless they think they can win here. Beings that both guys understand the vast importance of QB in todays NFL...neither came here to trade for a guy like Alex Smith.

4) Clark went out and got the top QB coaches available...he wants a QB.

RealSNR 01-12-2013 11:48 PM

Chiefzilla, I like you a lot but why is it whenever I see you post stuff it's about ****ing bullshit that doesn't matter like Todd Haley or Pioli's scouts?

Your talents could be put to far better use.

DaneMcCloud 01-12-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9312341)

After more than four years of reading his verbose ****ing bullshit, I strongly disagree.

AussieChiefsFan 01-13-2013 12:04 AM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma...qoi2o1_400.gif

milkman 01-13-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 9312379)

You might want to caption that.

John_Wayne thinks that is Geno Smith.

Sorter 01-13-2013 12:06 AM

I don't know how much he was involved with individually, but the draft picks/pickups at WR (Cobb, Jones, etc) and at DB (Burnett, Shields, Williams) are definitely awesome.

Sorter 01-13-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9312383)
You might want to caption that.

John_Wayne thinks that is Geno Smith.

ROFL

DaneMcCloud 01-13-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9312388)
I don't know how much he was involved with individually, but the draft picks/pickups at WR (Cobb, Jones, etc) and at DB (Burnett, Shields, Williams) are definitely awesome.

Moving into the first round to grab Matthews, after nabbing Raji in the Top Ten, was genius.

Sorter 01-13-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9312396)
Moving into the first round to grab Matthews, after nabbing Raji in the Top Ten, was genius.

BOOM!

Seriously, if we nab Heckert as Dir de PP or CS, we are set.

aturnis 01-13-2013 12:23 AM

I'll be excited to see if our UDFA recruiting gets a shot in the arm. Sick of seeing quality LBers with potential, go to teams where they have no shot to start in the immediate future, then become studs a few years later.

Other positions too, just like LBers as an example b/c I think a lot of quality guys go undrafted at that position.

Sorter 01-13-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9312435)
I'll be excited to see if our UDFA recruiting gets a shot in the arm. Sick of seeing quality LBers with potential, go to teams where they have no shot to start in the immediate future, then become studs a few years later.

Other positions too, just like LBers as an example b/c I think a lot of quality guys go undrafted at that position.

yup. It amazes me that in 4 years, Pioli only had Belcher produce as an UDFA

The Bad Guy 01-13-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9312424)
BOOM!

Seriously, if we nab Heckert as Dir de PP or CS, we are set.

I think you should go with someone up and coming for that role. Would have to be PP because a lot of people said Heckert didn't do a whole lot of scouting.

Sorter 01-13-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9312465)
I think you should go with someone up and coming for that role. Would have to be PP because a lot of people said Heckert didn't do a whole lot of scouting.

I'm still in undergrad but should I send Reid/Dorsey a resume? ROFL

Agreed Heckert is better suited for PP, and realy hope he comes here in that position.

Tribal Warfare 01-13-2013 12:44 AM

Chiefs hire Green Bay’s John Dorsey as new GM
New general manager was Green Bay’s director of football, has ties to Reid.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
The Chiefs reached into Andy Reid’s past for their new general manager Saturday, hiring Green Bay director of football operations John Dorsey as their new general manager.

Dorsey will be formally introduced at a news conference on Monday at Arrowhead Stadium, exactly one week after the Chiefs introduced Reid as their new head coach.

Dorsey, 52, spent more than half of his life working for the Packers. He was a linebacker and special-teams player for Green Bay in the 1980s and returned as a college scout in 1991. He became their director of college scouting in 1998 and except for one season as Seattle’s personnel director in 1999, has been with the Packers ever since.

He became director of football operations only last year.

Reid was an assistant coach for the Packers during 1992-1998, and that’s where he met Dorsey.

With Dorsey helping to set their selection boards, the Packers have been one of the NFL’s best drafting teams. Green Bay found Pro Bowl players like quarterback Aaron Rodgers and linebacker Clay Matthews in the first round in recent years.

But some of the Packers’ best work has come in later rounds. Cornerback Casey Hayward, a second-round pick in 2012, was one of the league’s best rookies this season.

Other top players found by the Packers in later rounds of recent drafts have been wide receivers Greg Jennings, James Jones, Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson, tight end Jermichael Finley and offensive linemen Josh Sitton and T.J. Lang.

The Packers have drafted so well that in recent years they haven’t found it necessary to be active in free-agency.

Dorsey’s connection with Reid made Dorsey the favorite to be the new Chiefs general manager. The only other candidate known to have interviewed for the job is Ray Farmer, the Chiefs’ director of pro personnel.

The hiring of Dorsey completes the Chiefs’ change in direction from the administration of general manager Scott ***** and coach Romeo Crennel. After the Chiefs finished a 2-14 season that will give them the first pick in this year’s draft, the Chiefs fired Crennel and had a mutual parting of the ways with *****, their general manager for four seasons.

The Chiefs on Friday hired most of Reid’s coaching staff, which includes offensive coordinator Doug Pederson and defensive coordinator Bob Sutton.

Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt has changed the structure of the organization. Both Dorsey and Reid will report to him directly. Formerly, the general manager reported to Hunt and the coach reported to the general manager.

Hunt has said the general manager would retain final say on personnel decisions.

Dorsey’s wife, Patricia A. Sexton-Dorsey, is an attorney with the Kansas City-based law firm Polsinelli-Shughart, although she works out of their De Pere, Wis., home. She has her bachelor’s degree from Kansas and law degree from Washburn University in Topeka.

Dorsey played in college at Connecticut. He was mainly a special-teams player for the Packers, and his 35 special-teams tackles in 1984 are still a single-season Green Bay record.

Dorsey’s playing career came to an end when he suffered a knee injury in pregame warm-ups of Green Bay’s 1989 season opener.

The Bad Guy 01-13-2013 12:49 AM

Adam Teicher is the ****ing worst again.

You can't say the 2nd round is "the later rounds", you ****head.

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9312341)
Chiefzilla, I like you a lot but why is it whenever I see you post stuff it's about ****ing bullshit that doesn't matter like Todd Haley or *****'s scouts?

I apologize for the thread swerve. I've said my peace on both fronts (have stopped responding to Haley stuff, even though I'm still being insulted and egged on in other threads).

On the scouting front... look, all I'm saying is that 4 years ago Pioli blew up our scouting network four years ago. Turns out, we fired some really good scouts. I'm just saying... let's not overreact and assume we have no talent in our scouting organization. I bring these things up because just because we have a new organization in place, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to learn from mistakes we made in the past.

Sorter 01-13-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9312503)
I apologize for the thread swerve. I've said my peace on both fronts (have stopped responding to Haley stuff, even though I'm still being insulted and egged on in other threads).

On the scouting front... look, all I'm saying is that 4 years ago ***** blew up our scouting network four years ago. Turns out, we fired some really good scouts. I'm just saying... let's not overreact and assume we have no talent in our scouting organization. I bring these things up because just because we have a new organization in place, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to learn from mistakes we made in the past.

Normally, I'd agree. However, the curent scouts have failed to bring in anyone exceptional sans Houston and Berry. You can make an argument for the old regime but for this one, I'm not so sure.

CosmicPal 01-13-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9312491)

I was thinking the same thing when I read that.

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9312505)
Normally, I'd agree. However, the curent scouts have failed to bring in anyone exceptional sans Houston and Berry. You can make an argument for the old regime but for this one, I'm not so sure.

Well, keep in mind that Chuck Cook was scouting director that headed up some really horrible drafts under Lynn Stiles and Carl Peterson. Amazing how much better those sames scouts looked when they started providing information to a good leader who knew what to do with it. Scouts are only as good as the head personnel guys who know what to do with that information. It's very possible the scouts fed good scouting information to a incompetent boobs who had no concept of how to use that information.

I bet a lot of these scouts look a lot better when Dorsey gives them direction on who to scout, and makes better decisions based on information the scouts give him.

saphojunkie 01-13-2013 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9312514)
Well, keep in mind that Chuck Cook was scouting director that headed up some really horrible drafts under Lynn Stiles and Carl Peterson. Amazing how much better those sames scouts looked when they started providing information to a good leader who knew what to do with it. Scouts are only as good as the head personnel guys who know what to do with that information. It's very possible the scouts fed good scouting information to a incompetent boobs who had no concept of how to use that information.

I bet a lot of these scouts look a lot better when Dorsey gives them direction on who to scout, and makes better decisions based on information the scouts give him.

I am with you. Lets not forget that new England's QB coach nearly quit because Belichick and Pioli continued to ignore his pleas (literally standing on a chair) to draft this kid out of Michigan named Brady. He begged them to draft him starting in round two and they ignored the guy for five rounds.

Sorter 01-13-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9312514)

Fair enough.

big nasty kcnut 01-13-2013 03:20 AM

Well slap a hot woman titty this is great news. Now about those cheerleaders. all of them fired except warpaint rider.

NJChiefsFan 01-13-2013 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9311857)

I am going to enjoy seeing this often. That's one of the best "u mad?" faces I have ever seen. It's perfect.

Tribal Warfare 01-13-2013 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9312610)
I am going to enjoy seeing this often. That's one of the best "u mad?" faces I have ever seen. It's perfect.

only thing better if it had bro at the end of it

mdchiefsfan 01-13-2013 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9312080)
I was very excited, yes.

This feels different though.

One thing that has changed, has given me hope and no one can doubt is Clark Hunt's devotion. Now that we know it's not about money to him, well solely about money, we can move past that and look to the future.

bevischief 01-13-2013 06:02 AM

Sweet.

rtmike 01-13-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9310952)
A new machine is being assembled. Gotta like it.

Best part is Clark & company isn't going to the same supermarket over & over even when the milk is rotten.

Now they're going to a bunch of different quality markets' to purchase what they need.

Mother****erJones 01-13-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9312491)
Adam Teicher is the ****ing worst again.

:facepalm: Teicher's a douche. He kept saying Oh I think Pioli will be back. LMAO how so Adam? Team was 2-14 and historically bad, fans hated the team and their front office, ****ing player committed a murder suicide. This 2-14 team was supposed to compete for the playoffs not be historically bad. All on Pioli, Teicher you ****ing wad of cock

the Talking Can 01-13-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9311052)
Dorsey + Reid = home run and an impressive one at that.

We'll see if they perform to their potential, though.

co-sign

and getting someone like dorsey - basically a packers lifer - away from them, along with snagging reid, says alot about the pitch Clark is making

he has to have gassed arrowhead of pioli's stink to get these guys in here...i have high hopes for Dorsey

good job, clark

CoMoChief 01-13-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9312678)
co-sign

and getting someone like dorsey - basically a packers lifer - away from them, along with snagging reid, says alot about the pitch Clark is making

he has to have gassed arrowhead of *****'s stink to get these guys in here...i have high hopes for Dorsey

good job, clark

I think maybe Clark courts players to come to KC...something that I don't think he's done in the past. Need to make other players around the league know that KC isn't a mess under Pioli anymore and that our owner is willing to do what it takes to win..and if that means pay good money, then at least he can show that he means it by giving that player the face to face at least...has to account for something I'd think.

TimeForWasp 01-13-2013 08:56 AM

Damn it!!!

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...94983131_n.jpg

mcaj22 01-13-2013 08:57 AM

this guy better nail the franchise QB because he and Andy Reid can't build a defense to save their lives

ChiefMojo 01-13-2013 08:58 AM

Any how do you know that mcaj22?

milkman 01-13-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9312736)
this guy better nail the franchise QB because he and Andy Reid can't build a defense to save their lives

While I agree with you somewhat, it really doesn't matter.

The 9ers have the best defense in the league and the Seahawks dropped 42 on them, while the Pack dropped 31.

It's becoming a league, more and more, that you have to have a QB and pass rushers.

Everything else is just window dressing.

TheGuardian 01-13-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9312762)

The 9ers have the best defense in the league and the Seahawks dropped 42 on them, while the Pack dropped 31.

It's becoming a league, more and more, that you have to have a QB and pass rushers.

This.

And the next time someone talks about that 9ers defense as being "almost 2K Ravens" like I'm going to bitch slap them through the internet.

Seriously, that defense looks great against shitty offenses. That defense is not "for real" though. They don't hold up against the elite offenses and that's what the truly great defenses do. Shit we had better defenses here during the 90's than that 9ers defense. It's a joke.

DTLB58 01-13-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9312618)
One thing that has changed, has given me hope and no one can doubt is Clark Hunt's devotion. Now that we know it's not about money to him, well solely about money, we can move past that and look to the future.

Hence the change in my sig post!

mcaj22 01-13-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9312762)

so i'll ask you, based on your personal opinion,

you do not think there is one good defense currently out of all 32 teams? That every team in the hunt is because of good QB play?

2 of the QBs left are rookies essentially, though they are playing well, you dont think it's because they have a good defense that has carried them this far? You dont actually consider Russel Wilson and Colin Kaepernick a top 10 NFL QB do you?

scho63 01-13-2013 10:07 AM

Well, there is no way to say that Clark hasn't gone out and hired serious talent to turn the Chiefs around.

I am putting all my faith in these men to QUICKLY make sure the Chiefs are a perennial playoff team once again.

This includes the draft and whoever they select: I'm fine with it. They know how to evaluate talent-us fans do not.....

LET'S GO CHIEFS 2013!!! CAN'T WAIT

milkman 01-13-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9312842)
so i'll ask you, based on your personal opinion,

you do not think there is one good defense currently out of all 32 teams? That every team in the hunt is because of good QB play?

2 of the QBs left are rookies essentially, though they are playing well, you dont think it's because they have a good defense that has carried them this far? You dont actually consider Russel Wilson and Colin Kaepernick a top 10 NFL QB do you?

Good defense is relative to era.

Both the 9ers and Seahawks have tough physical defenses that, along with outstanding running games, led their teams to these playoffs, while allowing the OC to bring the young QBs along at a pace that they could manage.

But in the playoffs, the QBs have to step up and make plays.
Both Wilson and Kaepernick have done that in their respective games.

I am not ready to annoint either Kapernick or Wilson top 10, though their potential is (or should be) obvious to every observer.

The old adage that defense wins championships in no longer true.

QBs and pass rush win you championships in today's NFL.

mcaj22 01-13-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9312861)
QBs and pass rush win you championships in today's NFL.

two things the Chiefs currently do not have lol

mlyonsd 01-13-2013 10:16 AM

IMO rule changes over the years have benefited the offense. As the game evolves towards the offense an elite QB becomes more important.

mcaj22 01-13-2013 10:19 AM

but the question is, what is an elite QB.

How many elite QBs are there in this game. We just watched two elite QBs yesterday lose to teams with much more inferior QBs. So what was it? Bad elite QB play or good defenses stopping those QBs with their average to good QB playing well

I guess my question is, how good does the QB have to be for Chiefs fans to be satisfied? Elite QB and poor defense or Good QB and Good defense? What is the better combination?

milkman 01-13-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9312887)

How many elite QBs are there in this game. We just watched two elite QBs yesterday lose to teams with much more inferior QBs. So what was it? Bad elite QB play or good defenses stopping those QBs with their average to good QB playing well

I guess my question is, how good does the QB have to be for Chiefs fans to be satisfied? Elite QB and poor defense or Good QB and Good defense? What is the better combination?

Your goal should be to build as complete a team as possible, while making every effort t get the best QB possible.

But the two absolute must haves are QB and pass rush.

I think you can win with a Joe Flacco and an outsanding supporting cast.

I don't think you can say the same with Matt Schaub, though we need to see more of him as a playoff performer.

I am certain that you can not win a SB with the best defense in the league if you have a bottom half QB.

ChiefMojo 01-13-2013 10:24 AM

Imo good QB and a good defense.

There are many good QB's out there that can win a Super Bowl but your not going to win a Super Bowl with a bad defense. Trent Green was a good QB that could have won us a Super Bowl with the type of offense we had but we had a bad defense.

If Joe Flacco can lead the Ravens, then any good QB can do the job.

BigMeatballDave 01-13-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9312868)
two things the Chiefs currently do not have lol

Strongly disagree about the pass rushers.

Give Hali and Houston a lead most of the time and see what happens.

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

mcaj22 01-13-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9312898)
Your goal should be to build as complete a team as possible, while making every effort t get the best QB possible.

But the two absolute must haves are QB and pass rush.

I think you can win with a Joe Flacco and an outsanding supporting cast.

I don't think you can say the same with Matt Schaub, though we need to see more of him as a playoff performer.

I am certain that you can not win a SB with the best defense in the league if you have a bottom half QB.

I agree about the last part- best defense bottom half QB. The Trent Dilfer theory proves that, pure outlier.

What you get into though with a certain (Majority) batch of NFL QBs is pure opinion. The glaring obvious of guys like Brady, Mannings, Rodgers, Big Ben being a elite QBs, fine. But you are walking into guess and check territory when you say Joe Flacco can win with a good guess.

Another person might not think Joe Flacco can win shit, and the question is, as a Chiefs fan, would you be happy wit ha Joe Flacco type QB to try and get you over the hump?

mcaj22 01-13-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9312906)
Strongly disagree about the pass rushers.

Give Hali and Houston a lead most of the time and see what happens.

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

in terms of TEAM pass rushing, 2 players does not a team pass rush make.

the best pass rushing teams have like 5 or 6 guys

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9312887)

You're going to have 4 or 5 elite QBs per generation. That means in 10 years, only 4-5 teams are going to find their guy. Sadly, those guys are going to win more than half of Super Bowls. You can't be upset if we don't find an elite QB. A lot of that is luck (being really bad at just the right time). But you have to keep taking big risks. And if you're the Ravens and you have Flacco, I'd be satisfied but still keep options open, especially taking big chances in the draft.

The Bad Guy 01-13-2013 10:29 AM

That Packers d is built very well actually. Eagles d had talent too. Coaching was the downfall of both.

ChiefMojo 01-13-2013 10:29 AM

True I do feel we have the edge rushers in Hali and Houston. Hopefully a change to a 1-gap system will help those like Poe become a disruptive force in the middle. Still could use a upgrade at the DE spots imo.

Getting a lead will help our pass rush as we will know teams will have to throw to beat us. That gives our pass rushers more opportunities to get after the QB. As of late we are playing from behind... teams can just run the ball negating a pass rush or just keep us on our toes not knowing what a offense is going to do to us next.

Improvement in coaching will go a long ways also.

FringeNC 01-13-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9312919)
That Packers d is built very well actually. Eagles d had talent too. Coaching was the downfall of both.

Yeah, the Pack had no idea how to contain the read option, and made zero adjustments.

ChiefMojo 01-13-2013 10:33 AM

Capers needed to spy one of his LB's on Kaperneck but he never did so.

BigMeatballDave 01-13-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9312911)

Huh?

Name me a team who has 5 guys who have at least 6 sacks.

SF is an elite pass rushing team, and they don't have that many.

milkman 01-13-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9312908)
I agree about the last part- best defense bottom half QB. The Trent Dilfer theory proves that, pure outlier.

What you get into though with a certain (Majority) batch of NFL QBs is pure opinion. The glaring obvious of guys like Brady, Mannings, Rodgers, Big Ben being a elite QBs, fine. But you are walking into guess and check territory when you say Joe Flacco can win with a good guess.

Another person might not think Joe Flacco can win shit, and the question is, as a Chiefs fan, would you be happy wit ha Joe Flacco type QB to try and get you over the hump?

I don't like Joe Flacco's inconsistency, but he has recently been a solid to big time performer in the playoffs, after starting off as a mediocre performer early.

I would probably be looking at the draft, year to year, for potential upgrades, but wouldn't make a change to simply make a change.

milkman 01-13-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9312935)
Huh?

Name me a team who has 5 guys who have at least 6 sacks.

SF is an elite pass rushing team, and they don't have that many.

I don't see where he said that a team has to have 5 guys with at least 6 sacks.

milkman 01-13-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9312932)

I really don't think a spy is the answer.

The way to defend the read option is to maintain gap discipline.

Over persuit as a defense will kill you against the read option.

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9312911)

In a 3-4, you need elite pass rushing talent at the OLB position. You don't have to have elite pass rushers anywhere else. Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, and Casey Hampton weren't guys who are going to get you a ton of sacks. Maybe 10 between the three of them. Their pressure comes from dependable linemen who can attack, creative blitz schemes that create pressure from the middle, and outstanding edge rushers (which we have).

We're not as far off as you think. Changing scheme alone is going to go a really long way.

DeezNutz 01-13-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9312932)

Actually, he did. But the LB wasn't able to contain or run with Kaep.

DJ's left nut 01-13-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9311633)
While I hate *****, he ran a very good scouting network. It sounded like they were all over the place in scouting players and very thorough, whereas it felt like Peterson's network wasn't that way. It felt like Peterson relied a lot more on making a few phone calls to his buddies than in listening to his scouts.

They always say the first two rounds are typically calls made by the front office. The later rounds go to the scouts. Think our scouting department did a decent job in the late rounds, especially given that they were recruiting talent for flawed schemes. Scouting is a top down process. The better the vision is from the guys up top, the better our scouts are going to be at finding the right guys.

And Haley was Pioli's first choice all along as well, right?

To the very end you refuse to ever be right about Scott Pioli. But by all means, keep on defending the idiot and trying to argue that he wasn't anything more than another Carl Peterson run amok.

It's beyond sad watching you try to spin your way clear of the garbage you've peddled about that ass-clown for 4 years.

milkman 01-13-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9312951)
In a 3-4, you need elite pass rushing talent at the OLB position. You don't have to have elite pass rushers anywhere else. Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, and Casey Hampton weren't guys who are going to get you a ton of sacks. Maybe 10 between the three of them. Their pressure comes from dependable linemen who can attack, creative blitz schemes that create pressure from the middle, and outstanding edge rushers (which we have).

We're not as far off as you think. Changing scheme alone is going to go a really long way.

You are making his point.

Those guys are getting 2 to 3 sacks each, and getting pressure, while also opening up opportunities for Harrison and Woodley, and any blitzes from the ILB spots.

You are not just getting pressure from two positions.

BigMeatballDave 01-13-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9312942)
I don't see where he said that a team has to have 5 guys with at least 6 sacks.

He said good pass rushing teams have 5-6 guys who can rush the passer.

2-3 sacks does not make pass rusher.

milkman 01-13-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9312965)
He said good pass rushing teams have 5-6 guys who can rush the passer.

2-3 sacks does not make pass rusher.

Rushing the passer isn't simply about the sack.

It's about pressure, forcing the QB to get rid of the ball, or to move, making him uncomfortable.

The Patriots ins the years that they were winning SBs were getting pressure from all different angles, even though they rarely had any one player with more than 5 sacks.

mcaj22 01-13-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9312951)

you do realize there is a difference between PASS RUSH and QUARTERBACK SACKS

right?

Rushing the passer is what milkman was talking about. Sacking the quarterback is part of that, but it is the cherry on top. You can generate a pass rush and NOT sack the QB. (Hurry, Interception, Incomplete, etc) And it counts a RUSH. Sacks arent the true indicator of a team that can truly rush the passer, though it does help sometimes. Just because Brett Kiesel doesnt have a lot of sacks doesnt mean he can't generate a pass rush up the middle (Not saying him specifically, but as an example)

That is clearly something we havent had in a long time. Hence me saying, 2 rushbackers does not a pass rush make. Which is correct for our current make up, and why we are one of the WORST pass rushing teams in the NFL. In terms of rushing the pass and QB sacks.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-13-2013 11:07 AM

Pressure leads to picks.

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9312955)
And Haley was *****'s first choice all along as well, right?

To the very end you refuse to ever be right about Scott *****. But by all means, keep on defending the idiot and trying to argue that he wasn't anything more than another Carl Peterson run amok.

It's beyond sad watching you try to spin your way clear of the garbage you've peddled about that ass-clown for 4 years.

I'm not going to thread swerve. Re-read what I wrote here and what I've wrote about Pioli for the last 2 years. I said he was a shit GM. I don't mind if people want to call me out for my dumb opinions. But get your facts straight before calling me out for opinions I didn't make.

the Talking Can 01-13-2013 11:15 AM

glazer on fox said the jets "can't give their GM position away...they're calling back people who turned them down and begging them to reconsider"

Pasta Little Brioni 01-13-2013 11:17 AM

Varys to the Jets?

Hammock Parties 01-13-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9313060)
glazer on fox said the jets "can't give their GM position away...they're calling back people who turned them down and begging them to reconsider"

How about that...KC > NY.

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9313024)
you do realize there is a difference between PASS RUSH and QUARTERBACK SACKS

right?

Rushing the passer is what milkman was talking about. Sacking the quarterback is part of that, but it is the cherry on top. You can generate a pass rush and NOT sack the QB. (Hurry, Interception, Incomplete, etc) And it counts a RUSH. Sacks arent the true indicator of a team that can truly rush the passer, though it does help sometimes. Just because Brett Kiesel doesnt have a lot of sacks doesnt mean he can't generate a pass rush up the middle (Not saying him specifically, but as an example)

That is clearly something we havent had in a long time. Hence me saying, 2 rushbackers does not a pass rush make. Which is correct for our current make up, and why we are one of the WORST pass rushing teams in the NFL. In terms of rushing the pass and QB sacks.

Yes, I recognize the difference. I am not looking at this thread in a vacuum. I know that you have several threads where you said we need to blow this defense up and have implied we need lots of elite pass rushers.

We don't get pass rush from our LBs or Safeties because Romeo doesn't blitz enough. Berry and DJ are more than capable of blitzing effectively in a zone blitz. They just need a scheme to let them loose. On the D-line, modern 3-4's allow the D-line to stunt. Romeo has our guys reading and reacting the majority of the time, and playing a pure gap-control.

Scheme is going to fix a lot of our pass rush problems. If not, there's 2 guys (our DEs)... and it's possible we have 1 or 2 quality roster guys already, but they just need a scheme that will let them loose.

FloridaMan88 01-13-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Fat Scott is available...

DeezNutz 01-13-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Don't blame the candidates because they'd be walking into a position to fail. Coach in place whom he doesn't want? Check. QBs in place whom he doesn't want and one whom he likely can't get rid of because of contract? Check.

Should have nuked the entire thing, but some people are just too stubborn or stupid to realize this.

BigMeatballDave 01-13-2013 11:21 AM

Nobody wants to work with Rex.

Exoter175 01-13-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

That made my morning "Pre-football" today lol

Strongside 01-13-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9313069)
How about that...KC > NY.

Unless your name is Ian Rapaport. In which case, KC < The rest of the NFL.

mcaj22 01-13-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9313070)
Yes, I recognize the difference. I am not looking at this thread in a vacuum. I know that you have several threads where you said we need to blow this defense up and have implied we need lots of elite pass rushers.

We don't get pass rush from our LBs or Safeties because Romeo doesn't blitz enough. Berry and DJ are more than capable of blitzing effectively in a zone blitz. They just need a scheme to let them loose. On the D-line, modern 3-4's allow the D-line to stunt. Romeo has our guys reading and reacting the majority of the time, and playing a pure gap-control.

Scheme is going to fix a lot of our pass rush problems. If not, there's 2 guys (our DEs)... and it's possible we have 1 or 2 quality roster guys already, but they just need a scheme that will let them loose.

i find it hard to believe scheme is going to fix our pass rush

i do think that scheme + some new players at certain positions, will in fact, improve our pass rush tenfold.

the Talking Can 01-13-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9313073)
Don't blame the candidates because they'd be walking into a position to fail. Coach in place whom he doesn't want? Check. QBs in place whom he doesn't want and one whom he likely can't get rid of because of contract? Check.

Should have nuked the entire thing, but some people are just too stubborn or stupid to realize this.

yup....big ass bucket of fail

and for once it isn't us

BigMeatballDave 01-13-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9313084)
i find it hard to believe scheme is going to fix our pass rush

i do think that scheme + some new players at certain positions, will in fact, improve our pass rush tenfold.

It'll go a long way in helping. Definitely need 2 new DEs.

ChiefMojo 01-13-2013 11:25 AM

If the Jets would commit to part with Rex Ryan and draft a new QB if a new GM came in, they wouldn't be in this situation. Basically what is going to happen is some GM will come in having to inherit this mess and then hope he can make a move after next season with those two issues. The Jets have been a freaking circus as of late.