ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Bungie Destiny (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270050)

blazzin311 07-23-2014 06:19 PM

I have an extra Destiny Beta Code for a PS4 user that needs one. First come first serve.

keg in kc 07-24-2014 01:49 PM

Iron Banner returning tomorrow and saturday for those of you who Crucible:

Friday, July 25th
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM

Saturday, July 26th
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungie
Is this the special surprise that you had planned for Saturday?” you ask.

No. It’s not. Nor are these the permanent rewards we’ve promised. We’ll tease those tomorrow. The Bungie Weekly Update will tell you all about how this grand experiment that has been the Destiny Beta will end.

ShowtimeSBMVP 07-24-2014 02:29 PM

I have a xbox one key if someone needs one.

ShowtimeSBMVP 07-24-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10764857)
I have a xbox one key if someone needs one.

It has been claimed.

Mav 07-24-2014 08:51 PM

Every one can play now. No key needed

Shogun 07-24-2014 09:30 PM

I just made it through the level 20 cave. Died about 60 times with my team but it was a blast

keg in kc 07-24-2014 11:24 PM

I managed to get a level 20 harrowed knight to jump off a cliff to his doom with creative use of my warlock glide. One of my proudest moments so far.

Mother****erJones 07-25-2014 12:28 PM

I got into the cave. But was killed by a bunch of wizards and impossible people. Then I joined a friends party. I'll will be going back when I get the game

keg in kc 07-25-2014 01:42 PM

I missed soloing the Devil Walker public event by about 15 seconds. Only a sliver of health left on him.

keg in kc 07-25-2014 05:15 PM

Looks like we're going to the moon tomorrow. Briefly.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungie
We’re even sending you on a new story mission. For this one, you’ll be glad you scrounged that jump drive from the wastes of the Cosmodrome. You don’t need us to tell you where you’re headed. We’ve marked it on the map since the moment when the Beta Build became a secret whispered about by only our friends and family. This new destination will be open to you for two hours.

ShowtimeSBMVP 07-25-2014 05:36 PM

level 8 is the max right?

jiveturkey 07-25-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10767256)
Looks like we're going to the moon tomorrow. Briefly.

What time?

keg in kc 07-25-2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 10767290)
What time?

As far as I can tell, sometime between 2 and 6 pacific. I don't know if that means right at 2 or not.

jiveturkey 07-26-2014 04:36 PM

The moon mission was fun.

I'm improving quickly in the crucible (thank you Titan)

keg in kc 07-26-2014 06:13 PM

The moon was freaking awesome. I spent about an hour and a half exploring after finishing the mission on my 3 toons, managed to stay there nearly an hour after they closed the map off. It's gigantic. Went down the Hellmouth to several different areas like The World's Grave and the Circle of Bones and the Halls of Knowledge and what I think was a blocked entrance back to the Temple of Crota (the mission area). Killed my first shrieker and ogre. Really great atmosphere and music. Hard to really give it any context, but it felt like a huge area after the relative confines of Old Russia.

007 07-26-2014 09:35 PM

So is this over tonight or tomorrow?

keg in kc 07-26-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10769533)
So is this over tonight or tomorrow?

Midnight tomorrow, unless they add some time.

keg in kc 07-26-2014 10:36 PM

Here's the mission, for anybody who missed it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RqhKj7C2Yek?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 07-26-2014 10:58 PM

Here's another guy doing some Hellmouth exploration. He didn't make it into at least two more areas that I know of.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lkqyTtnc7Nc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jiveturkey 07-27-2014 06:13 AM

So what's everyone's weapon of choice?

Auto riffle is my top dog. I have one that is super steady and has a 44 round clip. It's low impact because of the other attributes but 44 rounds makes up for it. It was a big reason for my recent success in the crucible.

Sniper is my alternate. Nothing more pleasing than long range cranium removal.

Machine gun is my heavy. I only pull it out when the going gets tough.

Quesadilla Joe 07-27-2014 06:20 AM

PVE: Scout Rifle, Fusion Rifle, Rocket Launcher

PVP: Full Auto Rifle, Full Auto Shotgun, Machine Gun (except on that terrible Moon map I use a Rocket Launcher to deal with the vehicles.)

The Snipers are really good but it just doesn't fit the way I play.

jiveturkey 07-27-2014 06:43 AM

I'm flat terrible with the fusion and pulse riffles. I probably need to figure them out because some of them look awesome on paper.

I'll occasionally mix in a shotgun but found if I'm getting that close I might as well start throwing punches.

Is it official that we're keeping our current profiles? After thinking about it I don't want to play all of these missions for a 3rd time.

Quesadilla Joe 07-27-2014 08:07 AM

My major gripe with Pulse Rifles is they all seem to have like 18 rounds and I spend more time reloading than shooting it seems.

Fusion Rifles are awesome in PVE they absolutely tear through Captains and Wizards.

I'm not sure if they are going to let us keep our progress or not, I definitely don't feel like watching all those cutscenes at the beginning again.

keg in kc 07-27-2014 12:38 PM

Scout rifle, sniper rifle, machine gun for me. Sometimes on my titan I'll switch to shotgun or fusion rifle, but in general i prefer ranged combat. Warlock's my favorite class so far but I feel comfortable on all 3. The weapons are similar: I've had success with all of them but the scout rifle seems to fit me best. Heavy weapon wise, I only use them for elites and ultras, basically just strikes and events, and the machine gun gives much more single target firepower.

I'm working under the assumption we'll have a beta wipe, but time will tell. I'll be happy to re-do the story at launch. 5 or 6 weeks from now it'll feel fresh again to me.

007 07-27-2014 05:34 PM

Shit. So i can't do the moon mission today? ugh

Mav 07-27-2014 08:50 PM

This game is so ****ing amazing. That is all.

keg in kc 07-27-2014 09:27 PM

Thought I had a couple more hours, wasn't even logged on when it ended.

What am I going to do with myself now?!? :sulk:

Shogun 07-27-2014 09:52 PM

I'm going to throw a big fat Nova bomb at my coworkers tomorrow and nobody will understand :(

keg in kc 07-27-2014 09:54 PM

I gotta get me this when the game is live:

http://i.imgur.com/1UkuzSS.jpg?1

Mav 07-28-2014 01:13 AM

I is the sad. I really wish I hadn't played this.

Mav 07-29-2014 03:09 PM

I got ****ed. Went to game stop to pay off my pre order. I had reserved a limited. Now they say I can't have it. Bullshit.

007 07-29-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10773804)
I got ****ed. Went to game stop to pay off my pre order. I had reserved a limited. Now they say I can't have it. Bull****.

:cuss:Because limited is truly limited this time and they took too many orders for it.

Mav 07-29-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10773807)
:cuss:Because limited is truly limited this time and they took too many orders for it.

They should get cock punched.

The Franchise 07-29-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10773804)
I got ****ed. Went to game stop to pay off my pre order. I had reserved a limited. Now they say I can't have it. Bullshit.

Fight that shit. They should have to fill the pre-orders that you put money down on. That's their fault for ****ing up....not yours.

keg in kc 07-29-2014 03:44 PM

Holy shit some of this stuff...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z-5aCzKynSg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Valiant 07-30-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10773820)
Fight that shit. They should have to fill the pre-orders that you put money down on. That's their fault for ****ing up....not yours.

He needs to see what they are going to give him. Or put him on the top of the list for when people do not pick theirs up. But he is not getting one legit there without shenanigans.

Aspengc8 07-30-2014 11:20 AM

na, this isn't a mmo..

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/...ning-ign-first

keg in kc 07-30-2014 02:45 PM

Video embed. And as I mentioned in the ps4 thread, turns out the Destiny beta had more than 4.6 million players. :eek:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oFRQlCX3Ygs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Valiant 07-31-2014 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10775687)

If six people is a mmo, every game counts..

This is a fpsrpg.. planetside 2 would be a mmo, well fpsrpgmmo..

GordonGekko 07-31-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10775687)

I kind of get the Knights of the Old Republic vibe from reading this, where the development team has absolutely everything in place for an awesome leveling experience, but the end game hasn't been thought out well enough. Heck, they keep mentioning how they have never talked about it, end-game is crucial to these types of games. This is an mmo with some different gameplay mechanics. If you ever use the term "raid" in describing a major gameplay pillar of your game, your game is an mmo.

keg in kc 07-31-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 10777407)
I kind of get the Knights of the Old Republic vibe from reading this, where the development team has absolutely everything in place for an awesome leveling experience, but the end game hasn't been thought out well enough. Heck, they keep mentioning how they have never talked about it, end-game is crucial to these types of games. This is an mmo with some different gameplay mechanics. If you ever use the term "raid" in describing a major gameplay pillar of your game, your game is an mmo.

I have the opposite impression. They seem to me to be extremely focused on the endgame, with 1-19 essentially being an intentionally brief introduction to the 'real' game at 20, where you begin what amounts to an entirely new leveling experience with motes of light and content gated by gear-based levels. I think it's about as far away from launch old republic as you can get, in that sense. In any case, after yesterday's infodump I don't think we need to worry about a shortage of things to do once we hit the soft cap.

keg in kc 07-31-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10777356)
If six people is a mmo, every game counts..

This is a fpsrpg.. planetside 2 would be a mmo, well fpsrpgmmo..

That comment doesn't hold the same weight now that it might have a decade ago. Group sizes have shrunk steadily over the years. 3-man strikes and a 6-man raid aren't that far removed from 4-man flashpoints and 8-man operations in SWTOR.

In any case, I think what bungie themselves says is the fairest way to look at it: it's a fps with mmo elements. I think of it as a hybrid of the genres. Shooter mechanics with shooter/rpg character advancement reminiscent of mass effect in a game world with mmo elements like persistent free-roam exploration maps, strikes and raids, and reputation grinds.

I can't really look at it as either/or after playing it. It's a whole new thing all its own I think...

jiveturkey 07-31-2014 01:36 PM

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/...url.google.com

DESTINY: SEE WHAT A LEVEL-29 TITAN CAN DO – IGN FIRST

Saved for later. :thumb:

GordonGekko 07-31-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10779236)
I have the opposite impression. They seem to me to be extremely focused on the endgame, with 1-19 essentially being an intentionally brief introduction to the 'real' game at 20, where you begin what amounts to an entirely new leveling experience with motes of light and content gated by gear-based levels. I think it's about as far away from launch old republic as you can get, in that sense. In any case, after yesterday's infodump I don't think we need to worry about a shortage of things to do once we hit the soft cap.

I'll take your word. I haven't actually played myself but I've read up on it. Hopefully the end-game is killer and is very extensive/rewarding. I'm really looking for a reason to buy a PS4 and I'm hoping Destiny might be the game that could do it.

keg in kc 07-31-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 10786474)
I'll take your word. I haven't actually played myself but I've read up on it. Hopefully the end-game is killer and is very extensive/rewarding. I'm really looking for a reason to buy a PS4 and I'm hoping Destiny might be the game that could do it.

There was a lot of concern about the end game before yesterday because they'd released absolutely no information about it. Nobody played beyond level 8 in the beta (friend told me he played to 10 in the alpha, but i wasn't in it so i'm not sure...) and nobody outside of Bungie has seen more than the one map on earth, the one strike and the couple of hours we had on the Moon. Word is there's going to be something like 8-12 different strike missions, all with variable levels. Just the one raid at launch.

I'm in kind of the same boat you are. Although I went ahead and pulled the trigger on my PS4 before the beta. And I thought it was totally worth it.

keg in kc 07-31-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 10785943)
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/...url.google.com

DESTINY: SEE WHAT A LEVEL-29 TITAN CAN DO – IGN FIRST

Saved for later. :thumb:

Embedded version...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QDr6HU-2cgE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aspengc8 07-31-2014 03:11 PM

I only got to play the Beta on XB1, and was extremely hooked. This is going to be a problem being that my wife is due any day now with our second child, and we close on our new house sep 10th. I will probably just play this until The Division comes out, if it ever does.

Mav 08-01-2014 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10786665)
I only got to play the Beta on XB1, and was extremely hooked. This is going to be a problem being that my wife is due any day now with our second child, and we close on our new house sep 10th. I will probably just play this until The Division comes out, if it ever does.

Wow, our situations are ridiculously similar.

My daughter is due on October 1st, this comes out the 9th, the beta was absolutely awesome.

Congrats on the child. :thumb:

Valiant 08-01-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10784737)
That comment doesn't hold the same weight now that it might have a decade ago. Group sizes have shrunk steadily over the years. 3-man strikes and a 6-man raid aren't that far removed from 4-man flashpoints and 8-man operations in SWTOR.

In any case, I think what bungie themselves says is the fairest way to look at it: it's a fps with mmo elements. I think of it as a hybrid of the genres. Shooter mechanics with shooter/rpg character advancement reminiscent of mass effect in a game world with mmo elements like persistent free-roam exploration maps, strikes and raids, and reputation grinds.

I can't really look at it as either/or after playing it. It's a whole new thing all its own I think...

Still not a mmo. You are talking rpgs elements.. raid content in wow did not make it a mmo. The whole alliance and horde did. It was massive. Their raiding equates to dungeons.

planet side 2 is a mmo.

wildstar has no problem with 40 man raids.

if destiny had 30 player raids it would be close. But most consolers could never pull it off. The bitching that would ensue would be hilarious over a console. Would be 10x worse than the kids on cod.

it works for planetside because it is strictly pvp open world.

keg in kc 08-01-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10788073)
Still not a mmo.

the post you replied to stated clearly and in some detail that it was not an mmo.

Mav 08-01-2014 03:10 PM

mmo, pvp, opp, lcd, we can throw out 3 letters all day long. But when describing this game. Its pretty simple.

AWESOME.

Lets not over think it here. :thumb:

keg in kc 08-01-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 10786474)

Just to fill in some more details now that I understand it better myself, how it works is that, once you hit the soft cap at 20, you still have an xp bar, but instead of gaining levels, filling the bar grants you something called a Mote of Light (I would suspect that you can also get them other ways, but don't know for sure...). You then use these Motes of Light to purchase gear with Light, a stat which inflates your character level beyond the soft cap. So basically as you gain this Light stat, you'll be able to get into higher and higher post-level 20 content. I would say it's using gear as a content gating system for all intents and purposes.

Here's an image someone posted on reddit that helps explain it visually:

http://i.imgur.com/tqZUkf5.png

keg in kc 08-01-2014 08:38 PM

Interesting stats from the beta in bungie's weekly update: http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=12007

Also this:
Quote:

Our favorite achievement is the concurrency statistic. At its peak, the Destiny Beta became the most simultaneously played Bungie game of all time. There were more people online at the same time to play Destiny than any other game in our history. The Beta was more played than even final versions of previous Bungie games. You joined forces to populate the last safe city on Earth, and blew our minds.
And in what I think is a nice move, they're giving not only an emblem for people who showed up for the load test, but an emblem to everyone who played at any point in the beta.

Mav 08-04-2014 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10789235)
Interesting stats from the beta in bungie's weekly update: http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=12007

Also this:

And in what I think is a nice move, they're giving not only an emblem for people who showed up for the load test, but an emblem to everyone who played at any point in the beta.

this is like the calm before the storm.

The games that are going to start coming out starting with madden on the 26th, then destiny on sept 9th is just the start of what should be a golden time for gaming.

I just cant wait. I already traded in pretty much every xbox one game I had, including gta5 for the 360 and have taken a semi vacation from video games until this rash of games hit.

im ****ing psyched.

007 08-04-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10789235)

Also this:

how do you know you got the emblem when you can't log into the game?

Aspengc8 08-04-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10793315)

It will be there when the game drops in sept.

Jerm 08-04-2014 03:09 PM

I think I'm the only gamer alive that didn't play the beta...had it D/L'd but then decided against it and I'm glad I did.

The alpha was enough to sell me on it and I just want to go into with a somewhat clean slate....can't wait.

Mav 08-04-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 10794109)
I think I'm the only gamer alive that didn't play the beta...had it D/L'd but then decided against it and I'm glad I did.

The alpha was enough to sell me on it and I just want to go into with a somewhat clean slate....can't wait.

I really wish I hadn't played it. All other games seem mundane

Valiant 08-05-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10793315)

I would assume almost everyone is getting an emblem..

keg in kc 08-08-2014 07:25 PM

Beta wipe official: http://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekl...News?aid=12034

Not surprised a bit...

Mav 08-11-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10804367)
Beta wipe official: http://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekl...News?aid=12034

Not surprised a bit...

actually really glad. I scrapped a lot of shit that would of been really awesome to use.

So, BYE BYE CHARACTER.

it will be great to start on equal footing. Now that I know where all of the farming areas are.

if anyone wants to get up, and do some building, on the xbone, mavs ace

Add me.

Valiant 08-11-2014 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10809913)
actually really glad. I scrapped a lot of shit that would of been really awesome to use.

So, BYE BYE CHARACTER.

it will be great to start on equal footing. Now that I know where all of the farming areas are.

if anyone wants to get up, and do some building, on the xbone, mavs ace

Add me.

What is building?

Mav 08-11-2014 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10809932)
What is building?

Meant farming!

Valiant 08-12-2014 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10809939)
Meant farming!

ahh. That is one of the things I loved about Borderlands.

Sadly, I am trying to decide which game I want more now after the COD.AW multiplayer reveal.

It looked fun, and I thought multiplayer was the worst part of Destiny.

I will still probably end up getting both. eventually.

keg in kc 08-12-2014 08:30 AM

There aren't supposed to be any more big reveals, but I think the focus at gamescom is going to be on competitive multiplayer. Although the game is much more about pve I get the impression there's more to the PvP than we've seen so far. That's true in general, though, I guess - I expect things will be much different at and after 20 than they were grinding at 8.

keg in kc 08-12-2014 01:24 PM

Looks like I was not wrong. At least not about the competitive mp focus at gamescom:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2oc-meFNi3Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In other news, announced today that The Dark Below (aka the first expansion) launches in December.

Mav 08-12-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10813287)
Looks like I was not wrong. At least not about the competitive mp focus at gamescom:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2oc-meFNi3Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In other news, announced today that The Dark Below (aka the first expansion) launches in December.

They have said a lot that this game is going to continuously grow.

keg in kc 08-12-2014 04:19 PM

6 months is I guess more normal, but I think 3 months is good, enough time that it's fairly far removed from launch, but not so long that the game has time to start to get stale. Which I think is a potential issue with a game as...grindy as this one may be, with the low soft cap and so much focus on endgame. I don't think there's any negative to periodically injecting content.

keg in kc 08-15-2014 11:37 AM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u2JyPr1q1a0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 08-15-2014 01:34 PM

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VyopXs5vCMU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hometeam 08-15-2014 03:58 PM

cant wait for the PC version

keg in kc 08-15-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10821159)
cant wait for the PC version

You'll have to whether you can or not....

Mav 08-15-2014 06:50 PM

ROFL
Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10821196)
You'll have to whether you can or not....

ROFL

keg in kc 08-18-2014 01:10 PM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RIr4DRtnG_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 08-20-2014 03:31 PM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZiEyQPYiA8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 08-21-2014 12:09 PM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jv7vqCmt6wY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 09-02-2014 04:52 PM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oMpGYh9FZM8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SuperChief 09-02-2014 05:04 PM

Jesus, this game is exhaustive. Fantastic.

007 09-02-2014 09:11 PM

This is the game that saved the next gen.

Mav 09-02-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10875279)
This is the game that saved the next gen.

I just cant wait. Like seriously. yeah, im looking forward to football, but I have off Monday Tuesday Wednesday next week. Yeah.....ill be balls deep.