ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs PFT take on Albert and his twitter account (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270849)

-King- 04-15-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9587901)
Quarterback hurries, run blocking. If the RT you're playing on the opposite end of is a sieve, the LT's numbers are going to be skewed.

I'm not saying Albert doesn't pass an eye test, I'm saying that I can't use strictly sacks to evaluate them.

I cant find the one for 2012 but according to PFF, he was top 10 in QB pressures last year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/20/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-tackles/
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch 04-15-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9587966)
I want Tyler Wilson on this team as much as I want Tyrann Mathieu on this team - not even in the slightest.

I wake up some nights in a cold sweat after hearing we've taken Bray in the 2nd round.

It's like selecting Rosie O'donnell to represent women's rights and then I have to listen to my wife scream and yell for 30+ years...

patteeu 04-15-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9587972)
I cant find the one for 2012 but according to PFF, he was top 10 in QB pressures last year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...nsive-tackles/
Posted via Mobile Device

One problem with both number of sacks allowed and number of pressures is that neither of them take into account that Albert was only a part-timer last year. You need to look at those measures on a per pass blocking snap basis to compare to other players (Albert was still pretty good on those two measures last year).

But that's still a fairly narrow view into Albert's effectiveness.

Rausch 04-15-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9587994)
One problem with both number of sacks allowed and number of pressures is that neither of them take into account that Albert was only a part-timer last year. You need to look at those measures on a per pass blocking snap basis to compare to other players (Albert was still pretty good on those two measures last year).

And that's not even taking into consideration that he protected the two worst starting QB's in the league (he did.)

Bowser 04-15-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9587977)
I wake up some nights in a cold sweat after hearing we've taken Bray in the 2nd round.

It's like selecting Rosie O'donnell to represent women's rights and then I have to listen to my wife scream and yell for 30+ years...

Your mind is ill. Seek help, immediately. :D

The Franchise 04-15-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9588006)
And that's not even taking into consideration that he protected the two worst starting QB's in the league (he did.)

And with a rookie LG next to him.

BigCatDaddy 04-15-2013 10:54 AM

People yearn for the days of Jordan Black and Damien McIntosh.

Rausch 04-15-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9588010)

Who was ****ing 'turrible.

Just Turrible...

http://lestermillman.com/yahoo_site_...121401_std.jpg

B14ckmon 04-15-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Or the fact that the Chiefs were towards the BOTTOM in the league in passing attempts and towards the TOP in rushing attempts.

Your lack of passing offense is making you overrate Albert.

patteeu 04-15-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9588010)

Both of those things are true, but excuses don't make a strong case that Albert is special as opposed to merely above average.

-King- 04-15-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9587994)

Its not that hard to find snaps played stats. That link I posted gave the number of pass block snaps. Albert gave up 24 pressures on 545 pass blocks.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigCatDaddy 04-15-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9588062)
Both of those things are true, but excuses don't make a strong case that Albert is special as opposed to merely above average.

Nobody is punching his ticket to Canton. Most are merely point out he's a top 5-10 LT and replacing him or moving him doesn't seem to be the best way to upgrade the team.

Mother****erJones 04-15-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9588037)
Or the fact that the Chiefs were towards the BOTTOM in the league in passing attempts and towards the TOP in rushing attempts.

Your lack of passing offense is making you overrate Albert.

Not when our QBs hold the ball twice as long.

B14ckmon 04-15-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9588073)
Not when our QBs hold the ball twice as long.

Twice as long as who?

Mother****erJones 04-15-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9588080)
Twice as long as who?

As a normal QB in this league.

BigCatDaddy 04-15-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9588083)

Exactly. The 9ers have a pretty good line, but Alex Smith always was among the league leaders in sacks taken.

patteeu 04-15-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9588064)
Its not that hard to find snaps played stats. That link I posted gave the number of pass block snaps. Albert gave up 24 pressures on 545 pass blocks.
Posted via Mobile Device

If it's not that hard, why didn't you give us a per snap stat that was meaningful instead of going with the less meaningful raw data?

It's not that hard for me to find it because I have a PFF subscription, but it's pretty hard for most people to pull that stuff together to get a good idea of how Albert's season compares to other LTs. But even on PFF, it's not all that easy to sort LTs by sacks allowed per snap.

Rausch 04-15-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9588062)

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/179/48...8303c4b41b.jpg

Rausch 04-15-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9588085)
Exactly. The 9ers have a pretty good line, but Alex Smith always was among the league leaders in sacks taken.

And lowest YPP...

Mr_Tomahawk 04-15-2013 11:17 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8392/eric-fisher

The National Football Post passes along "buzz building in league circles" that the draft's top-three offensive tackles are in "high demand" and will "go fast" on the first day of the draft.The tackle-needy Chargers, sitting at 11, can no longer count on one of the tackles falling to them. They may have to reach for D.J. Fluker, and we could also see Terron Armstead going in the first round. Per NFP, "some" would not be surprised if a team like the Dolphins traded up for a left tackle. We expect Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, and Lane Johnson all to be top-seven picks. Apr 15 - 1:14 PM

DaneMcCloud 04-15-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9588070)
Most are merely point out he's a top 5-10 LT and replacing him or moving him doesn't seem to be the best way to upgrade the team.

Albert is NOT a top five left tackle. Otherwise, people would be climbing all over themselves to get him for a second round selection.

Albert's above average. Not great, not bad but above average. Considering there are greater needs, the Chiefs should take whatever trade makes them comfortable in order to address other positions.

Mother****erJones 04-15-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9588085)

Ya. So it's not easy to judge Albert because our QBs take 5 steps back and hold the ball til they're sacked.

Rausch 04-15-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9588102)
Ya. So it's not easy to judge Albert because our QBs take 5 steps back and hold the ball til they're sacked.

It means Smith will be even worse behind less than the NFL's best offensive line...

BigCatDaddy 04-15-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9588098)
Albert is NOT a top five left tackle. Otherwise, people would be climbing all over themselves to get him for a second round selection.

Albert's above average. Not great, not bad but above average. Considering there are greater needs, the Chiefs should take whatever trade makes them comfortable in order to address other positions.

I agree. He's a lot more John Tait than Willie Roaf and there are other areas that should be addressed.

patteeu 04-15-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9588070)
Nobody is punching his ticket to Canton. Most are merely point out he's a top 5-10 LT and replacing him or moving him doesn't seem to be the best way to upgrade the team.

I think even calling him "top 5-10" is misleading. He's arguably been between the 5th and 10th best LT in the league for 2 years of a 5 year career, but it's not clear that that's true. And, IMO, it's not really even very arguable that he's top 5.

Let's look at PFF's Pass Blocking Efficiency rating that takes into account sacks allowed, hits, and pressures on a per passing snap basis. Albert ranked 7th among LTs in 2012 and 8th in 2011.*

But using PFFs overall rating that includes run blocking and penalties as well as pass blocking, he ranks 13th in 2012 and 12th in 2011.* $

All of this leaves out his propensity to miss snaps due to injury, his ability/inability to make the guy next to him better, and his intangibles.

_______
* These rankings are based on tackles who played at least 25% of their team's snaps.

$ The overall rating is not on a per snap basis, so I did some rough math to make an adjustment to the 2012 ranking. Based on the raw rating, he came in as the 17th ranked LT in 2012.

The Franchise 04-15-2013 11:35 AM

I would have no problem ranking him between top 5 and top 10. So why are we talking about getting rid of him again?

I'd like to think that Reid isn't dumb enough to want to protect his veteran QB with a rookie LT.

patteeu 04-15-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9588122)
I agree. He's a lot more John Tait than Willie Roaf and there are other areas that should be addressed.

I can agree to this too.

B14ckmon 04-15-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9588083)

...The fastest is Brady at 2.49 and the slowest is Wilson at 3.14.

And the ball holding stats means little. A lot of it depends on your offense and the quality of QB.

IE. Blaine Gabbert is one of the fastest as releasing the ball. Except it's because he does nothing but throws checkdown passes.

Rausch 04-15-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9588170)
I would have no problem ranking him between top 5 and top 10. So why are we talking about getting rid of him again?

It's the whole point of this time of year.

The Franchise 04-15-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9588206)
It's the whole point of this time of year.

Oh....I fully realize that.

Rausch 04-15-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9588215)
Oh....I fully realize that.

That said: if we traded Albert for a 2nd I'm pretty sure I'd have to walk down to the train tracks and drive a rusty spike into the skull of a hapless hobo...

-King- 04-15-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9588088)
If it's not that hard, why didn't you give us a per snap stat that was meaningful instead of going with the less meaningful raw data?

It's not that hard for me to find it because I have a PFF subscription, but it's pretty hard for most people to pull that stuff together to get a good idea of how Albert's season compares to other LTs. But even on PFF, it's not all that easy to sort LTs by sacks allowed per snap.

Wtf? The percentages are in that link I posted.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy 04-15-2013 11:53 AM

Personally, I'd take Thomas, D'Brick, Staley, Okung, Clady, Witworth, Tyron Smith, Kalil, Duane Brown, and Jason Peters (depending on his return from injury).

Guys I lump Albert in with - Long, Beatty, Jordan Gross.

I think Albert is in the 11-15 range.

The Franchise 04-15-2013 11:57 AM

Where would you rank Robert Saffold? Would you be ok with trading Albert for a 2nd and then giving the Rams a 4th for Saffold?

mcaj22 04-15-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9588251)
Where would you rank Robert Saffold? Would you be ok with trading Albert for a 2nd and then giving the Rams a 4th for Saffold?

in a heartbeat

RealSNR 04-15-2013 11:59 AM

I think just as much as people complain of those who overrate Albert, there are just as many people who unfairly undersell him.

He's top 10. Firmly top 10.

DTLB58 04-15-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9587700)
Here is Branden Albert's AV career ratings;

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=pfr&url=%2Fplayers%2FA%2FAlbeBr20.htm&div=div_defense"></script>

Notice he has not improved much. That's because he has not improved. Only a homer would defend that.

Here is what you wanted: http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playersta...d=8792&team=12

Chiefnj2 04-15-2013 12:15 PM

Who gives a crap if Albert is the 7th, 9th, 11th or 14th best LOT in the league.

He IS the 2nd or 3rd best offensive player on the Chiefs. There are literally 20+ other players on offense alone the Chiefs could replace and get a better player much more easily than replacing Albert.

Assuming hypothetically that Joeckel or Fischer have a slightly higher upside that Albert (which is debatable since no draft guru is coming out and saying either guy is a Joe Thomas, etc.) does having the 3rd, 5th or 7th best LOT in the league going to be the difference between a Super Bowl winning team?

You have an above average player at a key position. Keep him and improve the rest of the team.

The Franchise 04-15-2013 12:29 PM

I think the main reason that he is on the trade block was his whole outburst about refusing to play RT. I'm sure Dorsey and Reid didn't appreciate that.

Sassy Squatch 04-15-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9588315)
I think the main reason that he is on the trade block was his whole outburst about refusing to play RT. I'm sure Dorsey and Reid didn't appreciate that.

Too ****ing bad for them. Why shouldnt he be upset?

RealSNR 04-15-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9588283)
Who gives a crap if Albert is the 7th, 9th, 11th or 14th best LOT in the league.

He IS the 2nd or 3rd best offensive player on the Chiefs. There are literally 20+ other players on offense alone the Chiefs could replace and get a better player much more easily than replacing Albert.

Assuming hypothetically that Joeckel or Fischer have a slightly higher upside that Albert (which is debatable since no draft guru is coming out and saying either guy is a Joe Thomas, etc.) does having the 3rd, 5th or 7th best LOT in the league going to be the difference between a Super Bowl winning team?

You have an above average player at a key position. Keep him and improve the rest of the team.

Pretty much.

patteeu 04-15-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9588228)
Wtf? The percentages are in that link I posted.
Posted via Mobile Device

So, again, if it's not that hard, why don't you do the math and give us the per snap number instead of the raw number?

In any event, as my post demonstrates, focusing on sacks allowed gives a misleading result. He ranks 2nd when you zero in on sacks allowed. He ranks 7th when you include hurries and hits (using PFF's Pass Block Efficiency). And he falls to around 13th when you include run blocking and penalties (using PFF's Overall Rating on a per snap basis). Add in the injury factor and intangibles and I'm hard-pressed to call him much more than above average.

Direckshun 04-15-2013 01:03 PM

The problem is that he's asking to be overpaid while openly stating that he will be a thorn in the coach's side if they move him anywhere but LT.

That doesn't go well with GMs, it doesn't go well with coaches, nor does it help the team.

This is all coming from a guy who'd prefer we keep Albert. He's being unreasonable.

RealSNR 04-15-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9588403)
The problem is that he's asking to be overpaid while openly stating that he will be a thorn in the coach's side if they move him anywhere but LT.

That doesn't go well with GMs, it doesn't go well with coaches, nor does it help the team.

This is all coming from a guy who'd prefer we keep Albert. He's being unreasonable.

Link?

Direckshun 04-15-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9588528)
Link?

He's not asking for Top 5 LT money?

RealSNR 04-15-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9588547)
He's not asking for Top 5 LT money?

He's GETTING top 5 LT money this year.

I don't see the issue. If they didn't want to pay him that contract, why'd they use the tag?

Direckshun 04-15-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9588553)

I don't see the issue. If they didn't want to pay him that contract, why'd they use the tag?

Because he has value to the team, either on it or as trade bait.

RealSNR 04-15-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9588571)
Because he has value to the team, either on it or as trade bait.

I guess I also missed where he explicitly wanted top 5 LT money.

Not that Dorsey is Pioli in any way, shape, or form, but we were told that when the two sides last offseason were totally far apart on a contract deal, all kinds of worthless and untrue allegations sprang up about how Bowe wanted Megatron money. It's very clear now that those reports were entirely untrue. Even if Bowe highballed Pioli because he didn't really want to play for the Chiefs that much, that's a pretty far cry from 100+ million to 55 million.

Unfortunately the only thing that's going to settle this is to see what Albert actually gets, either from the Chiefs or a new team.

The Bad Guy 04-15-2013 03:23 PM

Here's what I was told:

-Albert wants between 9-10 million per year on a multi-year contract.
-He will not switch to any other position
-The Chiefs view his contract ceiling as the deal that Jake Long just signed. If Albert would sign for that, he'd be a Chief.
-They have concerns based on the fluctuation of his team-demanded weight loss and then gain over the last few years that his body will hold up for a 5-year deal.
-Andy Reid wants more aggressive lineman. Now this would eliminate Joeckel as well and I think they like Fisher more for this reason.
-They are shopping him heavily, but want to get a deal done before they pick to keep any type of leverage (they are realistic that they don't have much - which is why you see the reports now they'd take a high 2.

Don't shoot the messenger.

The Bad Guy 04-15-2013 03:24 PM

There has also been pretty heavy discussion of moving Albert back to LG this year if they drafted his replacement. If they can't find a taker, that's where they want to play him.

bowener 04-15-2013 03:28 PM

If the Chiefs draft a LT at #1, won't that drive up the value of Albert in a trade? If all 3 top LTs are gone by #7, somebody like Miami will be left wanting, and probably much more willing to trade for Albert then.

I want more than a 2nd for Albert, but would be happy with a 2nd this year and a conditional 2nd or possible 1st next year depending upon whatever the **** they determine that on.

RealSNR 04-15-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9589099)
Here's what I was told:

-Albert wants between 9-10 million per year on a multi-year contract.
-He will not switch to any other position
-The Chiefs view his contract ceiling as the deal that Jake Long just signed. If Albert would sign for that, he'd be a Chief.
-They have concerns based on the fluctuation of his team-demanded weight loss and then gain over the last few years that his body will hold up for a 5-year deal.
-Andy Reid wants more aggressive lineman. Now this would eliminate Joeckel as well and I think they like Fisher more for this reason.
-They are shopping him heavily, but want to get a deal done before they pick to keep any type of leverage (they are realistic that they don't have much - which is why you see the reports now they'd take a high 2.

Don't shoot the messenger.

:(

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-15-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9589105)
There has also been pretty heavy discussion of moving Albert back to LG this year if they drafted his replacement. If they can't find a taker, that's where they want to play him.

No wonder he wants out. We're not going to do the right thing this draft anyway, so Albert should just stick to his guns and get paid for soldiering in such a shitty franchise by another franchise who will appreciate him.
Posted via Mobile Device

RealSNR 04-15-2013 03:41 PM

If I'm Green Bay, I trade my first rounder for Albert and get back something else like a 4th.

They're wasting Aaron's talents by loading him up with starting LTs like ****ing Marshall Newhouse.

Messier 04-15-2013 03:46 PM

If they're offering what Long got he should take it.

BossChief 04-15-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9588553)

...and follow it up by repeatedly saying they want to sign him long term.

ChiefsCountry 04-15-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9588315)

Then your Rams trade wouldn't go down either.

The Bad Guy 04-15-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9589181)
No wonder he wants out. We're not going to do the right thing this draft anyway, so Albert should just stick to his guns and get paid for soldiering in such a shitty franchise by another franchise who will appreciate him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lets stop glorifying Albert here. The Chiefs are giving him 9.5 mill this year when he wouldn't have touched that in year 1 on the open market.

mcaj22 04-15-2013 03:57 PM

lol Albert wanting to be paid more than Duane Brown

get the **** out of here

his market was what Brown/Long signed for and this dude is commanding to be paid like a top 3 LT in the game. Take whatever pick you can get for him and move on

DTLB58 04-15-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9589105)

Well snap! If this happens plus along with the drafting of a rookie LT taking his spot HBO's Hard Knock's might as well set up shop.

DTLB58 04-15-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9589197)
If I'm Green Bay, I trade my first rounder for Albert and get back something else like a 4th.

They're wasting Aaron's talents by loading him up with starting LTs like ****ing Marshall Newhouse.

Now that's a thought.

BossChief 04-15-2013 05:25 PM

So, they are willing to let him walk over less than a million difference per year?

Give him what he wants, but put clauses in there for health and draft Jordan or Geno.

This pick has to be used to improve the team. Period.

O.city 04-15-2013 06:18 PM

Meh. If they don't view him as their guy, don't think he fits etc, take what you can get and move on.

BossChief 04-15-2013 06:31 PM

I wonder if they would shift their thoughts on the usage of the top pick elsewhere if Albert were to agree to a long term deal.

O.city 04-15-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9589799)
I wonder if they would shift their thoughts on the usage of the top pick elsewhere if Albert were to agree to a long term deal.

Obviously.