ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News "Obesity is a disease not a decision" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274334)

Omaha 07-08-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerberos (Post 9798604)
For people that are fat and think they can take off here and there and eat what they want is recipe for failure. There are a handful of people that can eat what they want and exercise minimally and stay fit. Then there is EVERYONE else.

Once a person takes the time and EFFORT to get to their goal they can then take time off to eat a meal once in a while that is off daily healthy menu. But to do that all the time or after a week or two of dieting is a slippery slope that most don't recover from.

Main stream media keeps telling people that diets don't work.... eat what you want because it won't matter... that is a LIE and it is brought to you by every fastfood chain in the world as well as grocery stores that make more money on junk and crap food than they do on healthy food. Fad diets are nothing more than a money maker for the person that thought it up.

Watching what you eat and daily exercise are the only way for most people to lose and keep off weight. There is no substitute. Anyone that thinks differently are one of the handful that can eat anything and not gain a pound. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9798619)
You're right, and you're wrong. At 6' 350, a 40 year old male can lose weight eating 2,800 calories a day with essentially no exercise.

There is really no reason that a person can't get by on 2,800 calories a day if he isn't exercising. Unless you're Michael Phelps during the Olympics, that's more than enough food.

This. 2800 calories is a lot of food. There's no reason a person can't slip some guilty pleasures in occasionally and still maintain a diet like that.

Mr. Flopnuts 07-08-2013 01:45 PM

You don't even have to eat less to lose weight. Eat different. I use to eat the most gigantic plates of salad man has ever seen. They were very lightly dressed with either a low cal dressing, or a little oil and vinegar, and sometimes half a pound of grilled chicken on them. I shed weight like a beast.

Romaine lettuce is a negative calorie food. Your body burns more digesting it, than is actually in it. You can eat as much as you want, as long as you're willing to eat the right foods. Those foods being most vegetables.

Iowanian 07-08-2013 01:53 PM

Here is my measuring device for a disease.

If you wanted to stop having Cancer would it go away?
No.

If you want to stop being fat can you stop eating and make it go away?
Yes.

Not a disease. A condition...sure.....

Saul Good 07-08-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9798746)
You don't even have to eat less to lose weight. Eat different. I use to eat the most gigantic plates of salad man has ever seen. They were very lightly dressed with either a low cal dressing, or a little oil and vinegar, and sometimes half a pound of grilled chicken on them. I shed weight like a beast.

Romaine lettuce is a negative calorie food. Your body burns more digesting it, than is actually in it. You can eat as much as you want, as long as you're willing to eat the right foods. Those foods being most vegetables.

The only thing about eating huge amounts of food with low calorie-density is that you don't "train" your stomach to be full from small portions. Then, when you cheat with junk food, you consume a massive amount of calories.

The great thing about portion control is that it only takes a few days to really shrink your stomach down. Once that happens, you can eat until you're full and still not have a huge setback.

I can eat half an order of nachos and want to die afterwards. A year ago, I would have eaten the entire thing.

In a way, it's similar to exercising. A year ago, running two miles was enough to make me want to pass out. I went out and ran five miles last night and felt great.

Your body can be conditioned to do incredible things, but that cuts both ways. You can train it to run marathons, or you can train it to consume 10,000 calories per day.

Prison Bitch 07-08-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9798741)
We got Mexican Coca-Cola here in Houston.

Made with pure sugar cane will bounce you off the wall.

And I remember those bottles.

They had a greenish tint and you had to return them for cash.
Delaware Punch....

Yep!

Mr. Flopnuts 07-08-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9798797)
The only thing about eating huge amounts of food with low calorie-density is that you don't "train" your stomach to be full from small portions. Then, when you cheat with junk food, you consume a massive amount of calories.

The great thing about portion control is that it only takes a few days to really shrink your stomach down. Once that happens, you can eat until you're full and still not have a huge setback.

I can eat half an order of nachos and want to die afterwards. A year ago, I would have eaten the entire thing.

In a way, it's similar to exercising. A year ago, running two miles was enough to make me want to pass out. I went out and ran five miles last night and felt great.

Your body can be conditioned to do incredible things, but that cuts both ways. You can train it to run marathons, or you can train it to consume 10,000 calories per day.

That's a good point. When I was doing intermittent fasting, it only took me 2 weeks to stop getting hungry in between those meals.

luv 07-08-2013 02:27 PM

Proper preparation of nutrient-rich foods will make you fuller faster. Your body knows what it needs (nutrients). When it gets what it needs, then it will tell you it's full.

Chiefshrink 07-08-2013 02:43 PM

Follow the $$. These 'trial lawyers' pushing to make as many diseases as possible as Obamacare approaches to go after these food cos. Trial lawyers make their $$ and the Fed gets more control of you life.

I have never bought into 'alcoholism/narcotic addiction/obesity' as true diseases because the only cure that has ever worked for these conditions is "CHOICE"(12 step) which means if "CHOICE" keeps your life sober/healthy then as Iowanian stated early it's not a true disease. Now with that being said, sure you can get liver cancer from alcoholism and you can get other types of cancer from over eating the wrong type of foods over a period of time. But cancer is the by product consequence of your CHOICE. And if CHOICE can save your life then it is not a disease unless it is too late for obvious reasons.

Chiefshrink 07-08-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9798812)
That's a good point. When I was doing intermittent fasting, it only took me 2 weeks to stop getting hungry in between those meals.

Follow the 20-30 minute rule and I assure that a normal healthy plate of food that is calorically acceptable that you may find initially looking at it as just an appetizer will FILL YOU UP ! IF YOU LET IT !! Let your stomach catch up(digestion process) with your brain, which is why you want to eat slower. So finish your meal and ask yourself honestly after 30 minutes, Am I really hungry ??? You'll be surprised !!:thumb: You don't need huge portions like you think but psychologically you have raised yourself this way most of your life and why you "think" it won't fill you up, but it will !!

Kerberos 07-08-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9798619)
You're right, and you're wrong. At 6' 350, a 40 year old male can lose weight eating 2,800 calories a day with essentially no exercise.

There is really no reason that a person can't get by on 2,800 calories a day if he isn't exercising. Unless you're Michael Phelps during the Olympics, that's more than enough food.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9798745)
This. 2800 calories is a lot of food. There's no reason a person can't slip some guilty pleasures in occasionally and still maintain a diet like that.

Taking the weight off is one thing. Keeping it off is another. The benefits from daily exercise @ 45+ can't be overlooked. If you can do both with your 2800 calorie diet???? Good luck with that.

Omaha 07-08-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerberos (Post 9798902)
Taking the weight off is one thing. Keeping it off is another. The benefits from daily exercise @ 45+ can't be overlooked. If you can do both with your 2800 calorie diet???? Good luck with that.

What does this mean? Not being a dick. I don't know what you're trying to say.

Kerberos 07-08-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9798914)
What does this mean? Not being a dick. I don't know what you're trying to say.

If you can go from 6'1 350 lbs eating 2800 calories down to 6'1 250 or less in one year with NO exercise at 40+ years old ..... Then good luck with that.

If you happen to actually lose the weight in a year with a 2800 calorie diet without exercising and keep said weight off then I whole heartily say... GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

Mind you that there might be VERY few people at the age of 40 that could do that. But for most of us that would be a "Pipe Dream" .

I have lost weight in the past with diets and no exercise when I was 20 years old. I am 6'1.... and back then I went 320 to 220 lbs and I was not proportioned well for that weight.

@ 26 years old I went on a high carb low fat diet, Hit the gym 6 days a week and went from 320 to 255 in 1 year with less than 7% body fat. Proportioned very well.

@ 47 w/diabetes I have gone from 380 lbs to 305 in 2 1/2 years and the only fat I have is around my middle. For me and most people my age dieting alone will get you minimal results and usually with minimal results people go back to what got them there in the first place.....eating anything they want. With exercise and dieting you get more bang for your buck and more return on your investment.

So I'm really not trying to be a dick but if you can take off 100+ pounds with a 2800 calorie a day diet and keep it off at the age of 40+ ....I honestly envy you and anyone that can do that. But I am skeptical so .... good luck with that. :)

houstonwhodat 07-08-2013 03:51 PM

Portion control and eating 5-6 times a day works for me.

You never want to feel hunger pangs, then it's too late.

Like your gas tank for your car.

You wouldn't run your gas tank down to empty (not on purpose).

Eat small meals 300 calories or so 6 times a day and your body never goes into fat storage mode.

Walking is all you really need.

Worked for Jared Fogle.

Portion control and walking.

notorious 07-08-2013 04:00 PM

Oatmeal for breakfast, Oatmeal before bedtime.

Your metabolism will gain burst.

Omaha 07-08-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerberos (Post 9799002)
If you can go from 6'1 350 lbs eating 2800 calories down to 6'1 250 or less in one year with NO exercise at 40+ years old ..... Then good luck with that.

If you happen to actually lose the weight in a year with a 2800 calorie diet without exercising and keep said weight off then I whole heartily say... GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

Mind you that there might be VERY few people at the age of 40 that could do that. But for most of us that would be a "Pipe Dream" .

I have lost weight in the past with diets and no exercise when I was 20 years old. I am 6'1.... and back then I went 320 to 220 lbs and I was not proportioned well for that weight.

@ 26 years old I went on a high carb low fat diet, Hit the gym 6 days a week and went from 320 to 255 in 1 year with less than 7% body fat. Proportioned very well.

@ 47 w/diabetes I have gone from 380 lbs to 305 in 2 1/2 years and the only fat I have is around my middle. For me and most people my age dieting alone will get you minimal results and usually with minimal results people go back to what got them there in the first place.....eating anything they want. With exercise and dieting you get more bang for your buck and more return on your investment.

So I'm really not trying to be a dick but if you can take off 100+ pounds with a 2800 calorie a day diet and keep it off at the age of 40+ ....I honestly envy you and anyone that can do that. But I am skeptical so .... good luck with that. :)

Got it. Saul wasn't suggesting a plan of action. Nor was I. I believe he was just saying that a person would not remain at 350 while eating 2800 calories per day even if he/she were mostly inactive. At least that's how I read it. Like I said, that's a lot of food. It would not be difficult to consume fewer calories and add exercise.

You've got the right idea with diet & exercise. I was just suggesting that it's not necessary to have the extremist attitude that you MUST always eat healthy and you MUST be at a level 7 on your intensity scale at all times. That's simply not the case.

Ceej 07-08-2013 04:01 PM

Meth is my go to meal.

Fire Me Boy! 07-08-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9799047)
Meth is my go to meal.

Better call Saul.

Omaha 07-08-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Wait... you were 6'1", 255 lbs and less than 7% body fat????? You would have been a shredded beast.

notorious 07-08-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9799047)
Meth is my go to meal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9799052)
Better call Saul.

"What are we talking about, 42 grams, 42 ounces?"

"42 pounds"

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma...ukqvo1_500.gif

BigMeatballDave 07-08-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9799041)
Oatmeal for breakfast, Oatmeal before bedtime.

Your metabolism will gain burst.

I love oatmeal, but it gives me terrible heartburn.

Saul Good 07-08-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

I feel like we're talking past each other. A 350 pounder eating 2,800 calories a day will lose weight. Eventually, that 350 pounder will become a 325 pounder who won't lose weight. At that time, he's got to cut back to 2,600 calories.

It's not like you can eat 2,800 calories forever and keep losing weight, but you've got to take it one step at a time. If you're used to eating 3,500 calories a day, cutting back to 1,750 right away isn't going to be easy. Backing down to 2,800 isn't really a huge sacrifice that requires strict discipline. 2,800 calories is still a lot.

Mr. Flopnuts 07-08-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9799070)
I feel like we're talking past each other. A 350 pounder eating 2,800 calories a day will lose weight. Eventually, that 350 pounder will become a 325 pounder who won't lose weight. At that time, he's got to cut back to 2,600 calories.

It's not like you can eat 2,800 calories forever and keep losing weight, but you've got to take it one step at a time. If you're used to eating 3,500 calories a day, cutting back to 1,750 right away isn't going to be easy. Backing down to 2,800 isn't really a huge sacrifice that requires strict discipline. 2,800 calories is still a lot.

Cutting from 4000 calories a day to 1200 was a 2 week deal for me, and what I did was eat a **** ton of veg to compensate for the lack of volume, slowly decreasing even that. It is incredibly easy if you decide to do what's necessary, and are resolved to get it done. I'm not trying to stand on a soap box, I've ****ed it all off, I'm just saying, been there, done that, and it really wasn't that bad when I was determined to change.

notorious 07-08-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9799069)
I love oatmeal, but it gives me terrible heartburn.

No kidding?

When I don't eat right (aka stuffing myself) it is usually marinara sauce or other high garlic rich foods that kick my butt. Oatmeal and other grain-type foods help me bigtime.

lewdog 07-08-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9799015)

Eat small meals 300 calories or so 6 times a day and your body never goes into fat storage mode.

Worked for Jared Fogle.

:facepalm:

This is so incorrect. I sometimes don't eat my first meal until 4-5 pm and get all my calories in an 6-8 hour window on most days. This is called intermittent fasting. By doing this you actually DO create a fat burning window to help you stay leaner. You are incorrect when saying that eating small meals prevents fat storage.

Eating multiple meals through the day does not increase one's metabolism. Our metabolism is not regulated in hours, it is regulated in days.

People need to stop thinking about calories in hour windows but in days. It doesn't matter when you get your calories in that day, just get them to the level you need. Less to lose weight, more to gain weight.

I can even maintain a 400+ lb deadlift (I weight 180lbs) when only eating my calories at night and many times training fasted at 3 pm in the afternoon. IT IS OK TO BE HUNGRY AND FEEL HUNGRY! Feeling hungry or going long period of the day without eating does not effect one's "brain" or energy levels unless you already have an insulin problem. Most of the world's population does not but for some reason thinks being hungry makes them tired. It simply is a poor mindset and there is no physiological response of the body to back this up.

Silock 07-08-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9799120)

This is so incorrect. I sometimes don't eat my first meal until 4-5 pm and get all my calories in an 6-8 hour window on most days. This is called intermittent fasting. By doing this you actually DO create a fat burning window to help you stay leaner. You are incorrect when saying that eating small meals prevents fat storage.

Eating multiple meals through the day does not increase one's metabolism. Our metabolism is not regulated in hours, it is regulated in days.

People need to stop thinking about calories in hour windows but in days. It doesn't matter when you get your calories in that day, just get them to the level you need. Less to lose weight, more to gain weight.

I can even maintain a 400+ lb deadlift (I weight 180lbs) when only eating my calories at night and many times training fasted at 3 pm in the afternoon. IT IS OK TO BE HUNGRY AND FEEL HUNGRY! Feeling hungry or going long period of the day without eating does not effect one's "brain" or energy levels unless you already have an insulin problem. Most of the world's population does not but for some reason thinks being hungry makes them tired. It simply is a poor mindset and there is no physiological response of the body to back this up.

This. All of this.

Fat storage is a matter of excess calories, not meal timing.

Rausch 07-08-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9799052)
Better call Saul.

****!

****!

The good ones were already too expensive!:banghead:

BigMeatballDave 07-08-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9799103)
No kidding?

When I don't eat right (aka stuffing myself) it is usually marinara sauce or other high garlic rich foods that kick my butt. Oatmeal and other grain-type foods help me bigtime.

It's strange, but true. And I don't get heartburn too often.

Mr. Flopnuts 07-08-2013 06:34 PM

I'm just so over drinking. I'm 3 days straight, and about 11 out of the last 14. It's time for me to start curing my disease. ;)

GloucesterChief 07-08-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9799151)
This. All of this.

Fat storage is a matter of excess calories, not meal timing.

It is actually a storage of excess sugar. Your body burns fat (slowly) and sugar. It will store excess carbs since it is designed to survive in a feast or famine environment. Your body can turn fat into sugar through glucongensis but it is not very efficient as only about 10% of the fat you consume is turned to sugar. That is why low carb diets make you lose weight. It is also why most low carb Type 2 diabetics are unconcerned with the amount of fat they eat since they need it to maintain healthy blood sugar levels.

Not eating fat or carbs leads to rabbit starvation which is really bad.

Brock 07-08-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 9799390)
It is actually a storage of excess sugar. Your body burns fat (slowly) and sugar. It will store excess carbs since it is designed to survive in a feast or famine environment. Your body can turn fat into sugar through glucongensis but it is not very efficient as only about 10% of the fat you consume is turned to sugar. That is why low carb diets make you lose weight. It is also why most low carb Type 2 diabetics are unconcerned with the amount of fat they eat since they need it to maintain healthy blood sugar levels.

This is a complete load of horseshit.

NewChief 07-08-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

I can't even work out, really, unless I'm in a fasted state. I feel lethargic and full. When I'm lifting in a fasted state, I feel "hungry" metaphorically as well as actually. I feel like I need to accomplish something in order to earn my meal.

GloucesterChief 07-08-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9799393)
This is a complete load of horseshit.

Would you like to elaborate as to why you think that?

NewChief 07-08-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9799379)
I'm just so over drinking. I'm 3 days straight, and about 11 out of the last 14. It's time for me to start curing my disease. ;)

I was at the inlaws over the holiday, and I drank from 11am until bedtime (usually midnight) for 5 days straight. On top of that, I ate like a pig with tons of desserts. I feel you, but I'm just cutting back now to a couple of drinks a night. Fasting today felt awesome.

Rausch 07-08-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 9799400)
Would you like to elaborate as to why you think that?

Rabbits don't starve if you refuse to eat carbs...

BigRedChief 07-08-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9799379)

:thumb: Nice. Good start.

Fire Me Boy! 07-09-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Pretty much every dietitian in the world thinks you're wrong. And my personal experience backs them.

NewChief 07-09-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9800370)
Pretty much every dietitian in the world thinks you're wrong. And my personal experience backs them.

Let's compare the health/fitness level of those of us who do intermittent fasting on this board to the rest. Nutritionism is fad based. It's their job to keep the pendulum of what's healthy swinging and ever moving because it sells books and funds research. The current paradigm (which is currently shifting as evidenced by all the Warrior/Paleo/IF diets on the fringe which will likely soon become prevalent thinking for a period) is on the grazing/small portions side of things, but it won't stay that way permanently as some new fad will come out soon (like IF).

That being said, I'm not discounting the "graze all day" method of weight control and nutrition. I think it works for some people, but I also think people have a tendency to underestimate the calorie count of their "grazing." This then leads to a difficulty in losing weight.

The bottom line is that weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. There are many different ways to achieve this, Intermittent Fasting just works well for a lot of people and is extremely simple.

Silock 07-09-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 9799390)

It's an excess storage of calories, however they come. Fat is the usual culprit here, as it extremely easy for your body to store fat; it doesn't have to do any converting.

De novo lipogenesis (Carbohydrates to fat) occurs when your glycogen stores are full. It's not a very common occurrence, in reality. It can happen when you over-eat on carbs for days on end and your glycogen stores are full, or when you have a large consumption of glucose (which is gross, and therefore, not likely). The way that excess carbohydrates will cause you to gain weight is by blunting out fatty acid oxidation, much in the same way that calories from alcohol won't make you fat (the body has no way to store these calories and they are prioritized for energy -- however, they, like excess carbs blunt the effects of oxidation of other energy sources).

Low carb diets make you lose weight due to the fact that carbs are hydrophilic. The first few days of a low carb diet will cause you to shed a lot of water weight, and therefore the scale number goes down, but studies show that after this effect takes place, low carbohydrate diets show no statistical advantage over other diets with the same calorie restrictions.

Silock 07-09-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Actually, they don't. Your personal experience is your own, and has little to do with repeatable, statistical scientific study.

Again, many studies show that meal frequency has zero impact on metabolism. Here's just one, but there are lots.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/1/154.full.pdf+html

Silock 07-09-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9800376)
The bottom line is that weight loss is calories in vs. calories out.

Which is what all successful diets ultimately boil down to.

Hammock Parties 07-09-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9799015)

Worked for Jared Fogle.

Kill this stupid post with fire.

Prison Bitch 07-09-2013 07:23 AM

Portion control only works if it's healthy portions. You can't eat small amounts of KFC during the day and be healthy. Again it's simple: stop consuming sugar. Your body can't process it, and stores it to fat asap. This isn't difficult - kill the soft drinks and ice cream and frappacinos and life will drastically improve.

Your diet is probably 2-3x as important as your exercise regimen is in dtermining fat. It's your choice: eat healthier or work out a ton to compensate. Really, which is easier?

luv 07-09-2013 07:26 AM

So, we are all actually in agreement that it's a decision, right?

Silock 07-09-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9800410)
it's simple: stop consuming sugar. Your body can't process it, and stores it to fat asap.

Stop spreading lies. It's getting ****ing old around here.

Saul Good 07-09-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Portion control only works if it's healthy portions. You can't eat small amounts of KFC during the day and be healthy. Again it's simple: stop consuming sugar. Your body can't process it, and stores it to fat asap.

This is complete and total bullshit.

Prison Bitch 07-09-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9800420)
Stop spreading lies. It's getting ****ing old around here.

Stop being a moron, it's getting just as old.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2009/06/818...ose-sugar-diet

Prison Bitch 07-09-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9800418)

No, there are some who say it's addiction.

loochy 07-09-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

stop consuming sugar. Your body can't process it

Sure it can. In fact, the problem is that your body processes it too quickly.

Quote:

, and stores it to fat asap.

Well no, not necessarily. It is converted to glucose and used to fuel your cells. The EXCESS is converted to fat.

Prison Bitch 07-09-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9800455)
The EXCESS is converted to fat.

Yes, sorry I didn't state that explicitly.

Saul Good 07-09-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9800439)

Calling sugar poison is ridiculous. Literally everything is poisonous. Only the dosage matters.

Chiefshrink 07-09-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9800477)
Calling sugar poison is ridiculous. Literally everything is poisonous. Only the dosage matters.

Sugar is cancer's best friend especially when those cancer cells we all have decide to rebel if you know what I mean;)

Fire Me Boy! 07-09-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

I honestly don't think the AMA is trying to say it's not a decision. I think they're trying to classify it as a disease for education and treatment purposes. Note this in the OP article:

Quote:

"The AMA’s decision essentially makes diagnosis and treatment of obesity a physician’s professional obligation," states an Associated Press story.
Whether it's a disease or not doesn't really matter. What matters is that it's a very real problem, and one that needs addressing. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

J Diddy 07-09-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Well **** no.

loochy 07-09-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Nah, I didn't decide to eat that pie. I bumped into a table and the entire pie and 3 twinkies just fell into my mouth.

buddha 07-09-2013 11:30 AM

It's no different than alcoholism. Being addicted to alcohol, food, tobacco, etc....

JD10367 07-09-2013 11:34 AM

I'll say the same thing here that I said on Facebook: all this will do is allow the Fatties to all collect more health benefits. Now they'll have a better excuse to get a second free seat on the airlines, bigger chairs at the movie theater, free scooters at the front of stores, extra parking up front... "Hey, I have the 'obesity disease', so I need handicapped plates!" **** that shit, **** all the Fatties, and **** this country sometimes, I'll tell you.

frankotank 07-09-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9800806)
I'll say the same thing here that I said on Facebook: all this will do is allow the Fatties to all collect more health benefits. Now they'll have a better excuse to get a second free seat on the airlines, bigger chairs at the movie theater, free scooters at the front of stores, extra parking up front... "Hey, I have the 'obesity disease', so I need handicapped plates!" **** that shit, **** all the Fatties, and **** this country sometimes, I'll tell you.

don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! :D

Pasta Little Brioni 07-09-2013 11:45 AM

Fasting is awesome. Don't eat all day and then grab all you need in a single meal. Love it. I can go till 4 or 5 pm without eating at times and then have a big dinner. I usually do eat lunch, but never even bother with breakfast anymore.

frankotank 07-09-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9800830)
Fasting is awesome. Don't eat all day and then grab all you need in a single meal. Love it. I can go till 4 or 5 pm without eating at times and then have a big dinner. I usually do eat lunch, but never even bother with breakfast anymore.

how old are you?
I only ask cause.....umm....that shit don't work for me anymore.
I used to be able to drop 5 or 10 in a week if I put my mind to it.
****ing old age.

**** YOU OLD AGE!

loochy 07-09-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9800806)

No matter what benefits they get, no matter what society pretends to accept or deem acceptable, they will never be healthy or comfortable.

The Franchise 07-09-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9800830)

This. I usually keep my window open from around 12 or 2 until 8 PM. 6 to 8 hours of eating. It's way easier than eating 6 meals a day.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-09-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9799103)
No kidding?

Pasta dishes turn me into a beast stallion...love it.

Silock 07-09-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9800439)

You have no idea how any of this even works. Lustig is wrong. Stop being sensationalist.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-..._b_850032.html

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/0...tose-alarmism/

Prison Bitch 07-09-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9801272)
You have no idea how any of this even works. Lustig is wrong. Stop being sensationalist.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-..._b_850032.html

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/0...tose-alarmism/

Fair enough. You keep consuming sugar, I'll do my best to stay away from it.

Saul Good 07-09-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9801309)
Fair enough. You keep consuming sugar, I'll do my best to stay away from it.

Um...have you seen pics of Silock? Dude is shredded. What do you look like?

lewdog 07-09-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

No offense, but I bet my personal experience is slightly better than yours for people trying to maintain decent physiques while maintaining an active lifestyle.

The stuff you learned in the 90's no longer applies. Things change, as Silock presented with many research studies that have been conducted in this area. The Food pyramid is a crock of shit and that is what many dietitians still use. It isn't practical or healthy.

If you want to graze all day, fine. You consume less calories than your burn by doing it you will lose weight. However, if I choose to have all my calories at night and "starve" myself half the day but still maintain a calorie deficit, I lose weight too. IT IS ALL TOO SIMPLE!

keg in kc 07-09-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9800537)
I honestly don't think the AMA is trying to say it's not a decision. I think they're trying to classify it as a disease for education and treatment purposes.

Whether it's a disease or not doesn't really matter. What matters is that it's a very real problem, and one that needs addressing. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Yep, this is what it's really all about and it's kind of a shame that it gets lost in all the chest-thumping. Obesity is a very real and growing (pun intended!) problem for this country.

Marcellus 07-09-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9801469)
Yep, this is what it's really all about and it's kind of a shame that it gets lost in all the chest-thumping. Obesity is a very real and growing (pun intended!) problem for this country.

Maybe they should open medicinal HGH clinics for fat people.

Brock 07-09-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Bunch of bullshit. Pretty much every dietitian in the world used to think the food pyramid was the shit.

BigRedChief 07-09-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9801443)
Um...have you seen pics of Silock? Dude is shredded. What do you look like?

http://www.forumspile.com/Gay-Country.jpg

Silock 07-09-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9801569)

NTTAWWT

lewdog 07-09-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9801569)

If Silock's physique means you are gay, I don't wanna be straight!

ROFL

loochy 07-09-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9801471)

NO THATS ILLEGAL AND YOU ARE A BAD PERSON

/hamas

warpaint* 07-09-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9795040)
This is a new campaign that the American Medical Association actually declared obesity a disease! Billboards with this phrase are popping up around the country.

I've worked out for 10 years straight and I definitely sacrifice eating shit food even though I enjoy it just as much as the next guy. THIS IS A DECISION I HAVE CONSCIOUSLY MADE.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/da...n-disease.html

Discuss....

Definitely not a disease, biggest driver one way or the other is most definitely discipline.

However certainly genetics differ from person to person such that it's easier for one person to be thin than another but that is relatively speaking.

Other circumstances that impact this are time and income. A single mother w/ 3 kids may have a hard time finding time to exercise and most cheap food is garbage.

All that said if the will and desire is there it can all be managed in most all situations.

loochy 07-09-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpaint* (Post 9802024)
most cheap food is garbage.

I'm quite tired of this stupid ass excuse.

Buy a 50 lb bag of dry beans.

Buy a 50 lb bag of dry rice.

Buy a large container of whole oats.

Base your meals around these.

Use the extra money to purchase vegetables as needed.

End.

keg in kc 07-09-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9801471)

Or maybe doctors could be more aggressive about trying to get their patients to diet and exercise.

keg in kc 07-09-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9802088)
I'm quite tired of this stupid ass excuse.

Buy a 50 lb bag of dry beans.

Buy a 50 lb bag of dry rice.

Buy a large container of whole oats.

Base your meals around these.

Use the extra money to purchase vegetables as needed.

End.

Beans, rice and oats? That sounds about as enjoyable as shoving toothpicks in my eyeballs.

Marcellus 07-09-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9802156)
Or maybe doctors could be more aggressive about trying to get their patients to diet and exercise.

I was being sarcastic. Crossthread.

Marcellus 07-09-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9801978)
NO THATS ILLEGAL AND YOU ARE A BAD PERSON

/hamas

That was Dane, Hamas just thinks its dumb.

keg in kc 07-09-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9802158)
I was being sarcastic. Crossthread.

I just got back from 20 miles on my bike in 95 degree weather, so I have no idea what's going on.