ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Why Can't I Grill A Decent Steak? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276568)

Dayze 09-23-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10010375)
The one thing you NEVER want to do with it is let the lid drop. Wind can take the lid off off easily if a decent storm rolls in. If the lid hits the cement, it's still useable, but it will never seal the same way. You will end up getting unwanted drafts in the thing, which can easily start fires inside and mess with what you're cooking. You can compensate to some degree for a bent lid by closing off the top vent, but it's a pain in the ass. I end up replacing them at least every two years because of a bent lid issue.

Shit, is that really true? / Dayze's wife.

FishingRod 09-23-2013 02:32 PM

Good Cow + fire = good steak. It is not that hard.

A marinade can be useful in a cheaper cut of meat but isn’t necessary or desirable for a good one. I like some pepper and sea salt or Garlic salt but that is really about all you need.

Had an unnamed in-law ask if I had any BBQ sauce for the Filet mignon I had just cooked for him once. Ya can’t fix stupid.

ptlyon 09-23-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishingRod (Post 10011714)
Had an unnamed in-law ask if I had any BBQ sauce for the Filet mignon I had just cooked for him once. Ya can’t fix stupid.

Man, you must cook as bad as vailpass

Tombstone RJ 09-23-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010273)
Grilled steaks last night, they came out ok but not great. Good cuts of meat but they weren't juicy like a restaurant. I only turned them once, used high heat. I like them medium rate.
I have 2 grills, gas and infra red, just can't seem to get the perfect streak.
Anyone have any tips?

cook them on low heat, not high. There is a secret to making good steaks, it's called...

SALT. SALT THE SHIT OUT OF THEM.

There, I just gave everyone a huge secret on cooking great steaks.

J Diddy 09-23-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 10011722)

My ex wife used to do that shit. Loved steak, we'd go out to eat she'd order up a beautiful cut o meat and then she'd douse it with A1. I finally got smart and started grilling at home and buy her the cheap shit. Didn't know the difference.

J Diddy 09-23-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10011727)
cook them on low heat, not high. There is a secret to making good steaks, it's called...

bullshit, on the low heat.

Tombstone RJ 09-23-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 10011734)
bullshit, on the low heat.

that's how I do them, but over coals, not flame. If you cook a big thick steak over high heat, all you'll do is burn the crap out of the outside and leave the inside blood red. Vail says he likes them "medium". So, you can't cook a medium steak on high heat.

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10011727)

Thats exactly how you make a great cut of cow taste like a shoe

Pablo 09-23-2013 02:43 PM

Low heat?

Broncos fans don't know how to be men.

I shouldn't be surprised.

J Diddy 09-23-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10011742)
that's how I do them, but over coals, not flame.

I wouldn't do a good cut of meat over flame. Mines got to get a good sear on it.

Dammit, everyone grill a steak tonight and compare pics just to **** with vp.:evil:

ptlyon 09-23-2013 02:45 PM

You probably have to take into account where these guys live too. Probably shitty meat there.

Tombstone RJ 09-23-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 10011744)
Thats exactly how you make a great cut of cow taste like a shoe

well, he likes his steak cooked medium.

Tombstone RJ 09-23-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10011748)
Low heat?

Broncos fans don't know how to be men.

I shouldn't be surprised.

for a "medium" cooked cut, yep. Much depends on the thickness of the cut too.

Tombstone RJ 09-23-2013 02:52 PM

OP says "grilled steaks" right? That's what I'm talking about, not oven cooked steaks.

DJ's left nut 09-23-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10011776)
for a "medium" cooked cut, yep. Much depends on the thickness of the cut too.

Yeah, I had some steaks cut 2 inches thick on a side a couple of years ago - sonsabitches were not fun to cook at all. Apart from being requested at 2 inches, the butcher got a little overzealous on several and I ended up around 2.5 - 3 inches on those. They were essentially roasts at that point.

Direct heat for about 4 minutes/sd, off to indirect with the lid down for about 10 minutes thereafter. I hated doing it, but it was the only choice I had.

Sometimes the thickness of the steak makes the 'proper' method impossible, but not based on the dimensions he gave us.

FishingRod 09-23-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 10011722)

Nope it was a nice bacon wrapped Fillet cooked over a bed of hickory wood Coals that you could cut with a fork. I wanted to cry.

Pitt Gorilla 09-23-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010311)
Thanks. I really like the infrared, super easy.
God I wish we had Hy-Vee in Arizona.

HyVee steaks are pretty awesome.

I like Rent a Chef seasoning, also found at HyVee. Low sodium is perfect.

http://www.chelbergfoods.com/a-rent-...seasoning.html

jspchief 09-23-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10011742)
that's how I do them, but over coals, not flame. If you cook a big thick steak over high heat, all you'll do is burn the crap out of the outside and leave the inside blood red. Vail says he likes them "medium". So, you can't cook a medium steak on high heat.

I just cooked 3 beautiful ribeyes medium rare last night with my grill reading about 450.

Tombstone RJ 09-23-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10011845)
I just cooked 3 beautiful ribeyes medium rare last night with my grill reading about 450.

but that's medium rare. Ok, so maybe low heat is not correct, but you gotta turn the heat down to cook it medium, otherwise all you do is burn the outside.

tomahawk kid 09-23-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 10011423)
When I get a grill, I really just want a Weber charcoal grill. That's all I've ever wanted actually. I just love charcoal grilled meats.

People seem to swear by those Big Green Eggs.

I've never owned one - way too expensive.

I own a nice Weber and I probably won't ever have anything else.

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 03:31 PM

Cast Iron Hibachi Grille is the way to go... Extreme Heat , Minimal Charcoal

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1200_.jpg

tomahawk kid 09-23-2013 03:31 PM

There's a butcher here in KC called the Local Pig - they're in the east bottoms, past Columbus Park.

Their steaks and pork cuts are fantastic. It's pricey - but you get what you pay for.

Oh and in terms of seasoning - Montreal Steak FTW.

MOhillbilly 09-23-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 10011895)
Cast Iron Hibachi Grille is the way to go... Extreme Heat , Minimal Charcoal

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1200_.jpg

This all the way. When I was a kid this was all my dad could afford. Cut my teeth on these bad boys.
Master the hibachi and you will never **** up your meat again.

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 10011916)
This all the way. When I was a kid this was all my dad could afford. Cut my teeth on these bad boys.
Master the hibachi and you will never **** up your meat again.

28 bucks on Amazon

Hot enough to sear for Rare and Medium Rare, adjustable for Medium to Burnt

crazycoffey 09-23-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 10010288)
Marinating is the key.

Beer only for steaks. Garlic pepper seasoning. Cook hot and fast.

J Diddy 09-23-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 10011949)
Beer only for steaks. Garlic pepper seasoning. Cook hot and fast.

I don't marinate. I get em up at room temp, brush some olive oil on em sea salt and pepper.

Like I said prior, if you haven't tried one yet I recommend the A1 dry rub black pappercorn (they have a garlic flavor rub that I use on chicken but it says it can be used on steaks too). Great flavor.

That being said, my homey vailpass has inspired me. I went to ye ol grocery store and lo and behold they had some t bones on sale. I'm fitting to eat like a king. I'll call this my birthday dinner. Think I'll sip a beer and pray that peyton gets his ass handed to him tonight.

J Diddy 09-23-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 10011931)
28 bucks on Amazon

Hot enough to sear for Rare and Medium Rare, adjustable for Medium to Burnt

That would be perfect for camping.

lewdog 09-23-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 10011990)

That being said, my homey vailpass has inspired me. I went to ye ol grocery store and lo and behold they had some t bones on sale. I'm fitting to eat like a king. I'll call this my birthday dinner. Think I'll sip a beer and pray that peyton gets his ass handed to him tonight.

I just bought some T-bones today too. Wasn't planning on it but they looked good and were on sale. I got them for $4.99 lb. You?

J Diddy 09-23-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10012058)
I just bought some T-bones today too. Wasn't planning on it but they looked good and were on sale. I got them for $4.99 lb. You?

$5.99 a lb and they look great!

lewdog 09-23-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 10012082)
$5.99 a lb and they look great!

Mine too! I couldn't believe the sale on them. Can't wait. Enjoy man.

Fire Me Boy! 09-23-2013 04:58 PM

OK, vail... here's the skinny. I'm not going back through 270 posts to point out which posters clearly don't know WTF they're talking about, but there are some.

You must season the meat. Salt makes things taste more like themselves. It also stimulates your salivary glands, which tricks your mind into thinking it has more moisture.

Do not salt right before you put it on the grill. Salt will draw out moisture. Over time, that moisture will draw back into the protein, but if you do it right before you grill, that moisture is going right into the fire. If possible, salt your steaks a day in advance. At a minimum, salt it an hour in advance.

Do let it sit out for 30-60 minutes before you grill. This is not harmful because any bacteria that might contaminate the food isn't going to have time to get on the inside of the protein... and anything on the outside will die over the fire.

Sear over a high heat for 2-3 minutes per side, then move it to a cooler zone on your grill. Despite what many on here say, searing does NOT "seal in the juices." As a matter of face, you lose more juice by searing than you do over a low heat. However, what searing does do is create the Maillard reaction (creates the brown crust, and brown food = good food), which creates hundreds of flavor compounds you wouldn't otherwise get. And the moisture loss is fairly minimal.

SOP is flip it once, but there's a lot of recent literature indicating you get a more even cook and juicier steak by flipping regularly - as often as once a minute. I've had no problems doing the one flip.

Marinades... if it's a cheap steak, by all means, marinade. If it's a ribeye or strip, keep that shit away from it. Salt, pepper, and a little granulated garlic are all you need.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm in a hurry. Will try to post more later.

Fire Me Boy! 09-23-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchambo (Post 10011186)
You don't understand sous vide at all. You can set it at 125 and leave it there all day and it will come out rare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10011254)
Sounds good. Does sound like a roast though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 10011362)
Thats prime rib then

I have a thread on here about sous vide, and it's awesome (sous vide, not the thread). It's nothing like a roast or a prime rib.

Manchambo - since you're new, feel free to peruse, add to it, ask me anything, and please share your own tips and experiences! http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=7823233

Tombstone RJ 09-23-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10012162)
OK, vail... here's the skinny. I'm not going back through 270 posts to point out which posters clearly don't know WTF they're talking about, but there are some.

You must season the meat. Salt makes things taste more like themselves. It also stimulates your salivary glands, which tricks your mind into thinking it has more moisture.

Do not salt right before you put it on the grill. Salt will draw out moisture. Over time, that moisture will draw back into the protein, but if you do it right before you grill, that moisture is going right into the fire. If possible, salt your steaks a day in advance. At a minimum, salt it an hour in advance.

Do let it sit out for 30-60 minutes before you grill. This is not harmful because any bacteria that might contaminate the food isn't going to have time to get on the inside of the protein... and anything on the outside will die over the fire.

Sear over a high heat for 2-3 minutes per side, then move it to a cooler zone on your grill. Despite what many on here say, searing does NOT "seal in the juices." As a matter of face, you lose more juice by searing than you do over a low heat. However, what searing does do is create the Maillard reaction (creates the brown crust, and brown food = good food), which creates hundreds of flavor compounds you wouldn't otherwise get. And the moisture loss is fairly minimal.

SOP is flip it once, but there's a lot of recent literature indicating you get a more even cook and juicier steak by flipping regularly - as often as once a minute. I've had no problems doing the one flip.

Marinades... if it's a cheap steak, by all means, marinade. If it's a ribeye or strip, keep that shit away from it. Salt, pepper, and a little granulated garlic are all you need.

quality post is quality. would read again. :clap:

Braincase 09-23-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Word. Rep.

Marinade with something that has a little acid in it for cheap steaks, helps to tenderize it. I like using just a decent Italian salad Dressing or something else in that family for cheap cuts.

Fire Me Boy! 09-23-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 10011402)
So who is the best cook here on CP? And who wants to volunteer to answer all my idiotic questions on my quest to learn how to cook?

There are a number of good cooks here, but I'd be happy to help if you'd like. Feel free to PM me.

Valiant 09-23-2013 06:25 PM

Listen to fire me boy. Once you do that, then you will look back and think how did I ever **** up a steak..

I do like low cooking and then searing on real high for a few seconds..

TambaBerry 09-23-2013 06:30 PM

http://imgur.com/gallery/cPTAVE8

Follow this instructional format

Fire Me Boy! 09-23-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10012420)
Listen to fire me boy. Once you do that, then you will look back and think how did I ever **** up a steak..

I do like low cooking and then searing on real high for a few seconds..

Thanks.

I've seen some articles and done it a few times myself starting over low and finishing over high. The theory is you bring the entire steak up to temp slowly and you'll get a better sear and more evenly cooked piece of meat by searing at the end. Makes sense: easier to sear the outside if the outside is 120 degrees than if it's 70. My few experiences with this rings true - you get less of that medium/medium well band on the outside.

HonestChieffan 09-23-2013 06:38 PM

I just did Ribeyes for the wife and I and they were excellent

Started with good meat...I cut my own from a ribeye section. 1 1/4-1 1/2 in thick

Thawed them in fridge all day then out and allowed to come to room temp. I never microwave thaw.

Salt and pepper on the meat the entire time it is out of fridge and coming to room temp.

Charcoal. I dont do gas. Im sure some folk do well with gas I just dont and dont intend to. I use Kingsfords for just us but if doing a lot of steaks or burgers I will use lump.

I like Rosemary. So once the coals are perfect...hotter than three shades of hell...I toss a nice sprig of fresh rosemary on the grill and put steak on top of that...3 min or so....then check for a good crusty sear. If done, flip it and go another 3-4 min.

We like Rare to medium rare.

Mr Fire Me Boy has basically the same approach. Dont over complicate stuff.

Indoors I use a OLD Cast Iron skillet...I have a bunch. What one depends on number of steaks. I get the pan hottttttt. Oven preheated to 450. Sear that bad boy adding a bit of Olive Oil Flip it, sear side two...toss in oven for 10 min, check for doneness...let stand 10 min before serving.

For the record tonight I had a great microbrew wheat beer with my steak from Amana Iowa. http://www.millstreambrewing.com

Very nice people. We stopped there yesterday on way home from Illinois. And if you like root beer? Yikes... good stuff.

Fire Me Boy! 09-23-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 10012466)
I just did Ribeyes for the wife and I and they were excellent

Started with good meat...I cut my own from a ribeye section. 1 1/4-1 1/2 in thick

Thawed them in fridge all day then out and allowed to come to room temp. I never microwave thaw.

Salt and pepper on the meat the entire time it is out of fridge and coming to room temp.

Charcoal. I dont do gas. Im sure some folk do well with gas I just dont and dont intend to. I use Kingsfords for just us but if doing a lot of steaks or burgers I will use lump.

I like Rosemary. So once the coals are perfect...hotter than three shades of hell...I toss a nice sprig of fresh rosemary on the grill and put steak on top of that...3 min or so....then check for a good crusty sear. If done, flip it and go another 3-4 min.

We like Rare to medium rare.

Mr Fire Me Boy has basically the same approach. Dont over complicate stuff.

Yep, fairly simple stuff. I like the rosemary idea, and I have an assload of it in my back yard. Gonna give that a try next time I grill. :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 10012466)
Indoors I use a OLD Cast Iron skillet...I have a bunch. What one depends on number of steaks. I get the pan hottttttt. Oven preheated to 450. Sear that bad boy adding a bit of Olive Oil Flip it, sear side two...toss in oven for 10 min, check for doneness...let stand 10 min before serving.

I use my trusty 12-inch cast iron for steaks inside (and hamburgers - it's very tough to beat cast iron for a hamburger). Though if I'm doing them inside, I'm doing them sous vide, so all I'm doing is searing in the cast iron. Crank that sucker up on my big burner on high, wait till it gets about 700 degrees, and sear for 1 minute per side... omnomnom.

HonestChieffan 09-23-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10012499)
Yep, fairly simple stuff. I like the rosemary idea, and I have an assload of it in my back yard. Gonna give that a try next time I grill. :thumb:

I use my trusty 12-inch cast iron for steaks inside (and hamburgers - it's very tough to beat cast iron for a hamburger). Though if I'm doing them inside, I'm doing them sous vide, so all I'm doing is searing in the cast iron. Crank that sucker up on my big burner on high, wait till it gets about 700 degrees, and sear for 1 minute per side... omnomnom.

Report back on the Rosemary success. We were just in Italy and has steak one night in Florence. Other than a bit tougher than our beef it was salt, pepper, cook over HOT oak coals with rosemary under, olive oil to get better sear, bias cut and serve....Very nice.

chiefzilla1501 09-23-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomahawk kid (Post 10011896)
There's a butcher here in KC called the Local Pig - they're in the east bottoms, past Columbus Park.

Their steaks and pork cuts are fantastic. It's pricey - but you get what you pay for.

Oh and in terms of seasoning - Montreal Steak FTW.

Yup. I really like their rub.

I may be weird this way, but I like a little sweetness in my rub too. I love using either brown sugar or a coffee/cocoa mix.

Fire Me Boy! 09-23-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10012648)
Yup. I really like their rub.

I may be weird this way, but I like a little sweetness in my rub too. I love using either brown sugar or a coffee/cocoa mix.

Coffee is great in a rub with some chile. If you like some sweetness, find some granulated honey or maple sugar for a nice change of pace.

vailpass 09-23-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

:thumb: Excellent as always. Thanks man!

chiefzilla1501 09-23-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10012661)
Coffee is great in a rub with some chile. If you like some sweetness, find some granulated honey or maple sugar for a nice change of pace.

Interesting. Will need to give it a shot.

2112 09-23-2013 07:32 PM

Now this is serious filet Mignon on the grill. you have to let it cool off before you cut it, n00b

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/...42535557_n.jpg

2112 09-23-2013 07:34 PM

Carcass Before

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/...18086059_n.jpg

WhawhaWhat 09-23-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Just a quick addition but use Sea Salt and not regular table salt. Fresh cracked black pepper is better than a ground black pepper.

SDChiefs 09-23-2013 07:36 PM

slow cook on low heat. comes out great.

Loneiguana 09-23-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazno (Post 10010383)
Of course restaurants do this. They don't know 20 minutes before hand if someone is going to order a steak and they can't make the customer wait an extra 20 mins. If they set it out anyway they would either have waste when a customer didn't order it or questionable food storage practices when they returned the sitting steak back to cold storage.

In addition we don't all have grills that go above 1000 degrees like many of the big steak houses do that can make up for letting the meat warm up.

It also only takes twenty minutes for the bacteria to double in population.

mikeyis4dcats. 09-23-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

check your science here FMB, salting in advance will draw out the mositure and make them dry. you want to salt just before grilling.

the rest is spot on.

mikeyis4dcats. 09-23-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneiguana (Post 10012946)
It also only takes twenty minutes for the bacteria to double in population.

his point is that it is mostly surface bacteria - this is not ground meat where the bacteria are throughout. On the surface, heat will take care of it.

we understand commercial kitchens have restrictions homes do not. That doesn't mean it's better.

Tytanium 09-23-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 10010681)
letting it rest on the front end and back end will go a long ways to this.

Here's a test - buy 3 ribeyes today of very similar size and shape. Cook them all for the same time on the grill (I do 5 minutes one side then flip for 4 minutes for a 1 1/2", 1# ribeye)

Take one out and put on grill, serve immediately.

Take one out, let it come to room temp (15 min or so), cook, serve immediately,

Take one out, let it come to temp, then rest 10 minutes after.

The first will likely be rare in the middle, with very little medium rare around.

The second will likely be more evenly cooked, but a little tough, and not very juicy in the mouth.

The third will be evenly cooked, more tender, and juicy in the mouth.

Leaving the meat out does nothing but make you wait longer for your food. Use oil and HIGH heat to sear, then lower the temp to cook to your preferred internal temperature.

Read this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/t...ing-steak.html

Tytanium 09-23-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10012753)
Just a quick addition but use Sea Salt and not regular table salt. Fresh cracked black pepper is better than a ground black pepper.

Kosher salt flakes tend to stick better in my experience, but I usually use Kirkland sea salt grinders. If you use table salt on steak, you ought to be shot.

mikeyis4dcats. 09-23-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tytanium (Post 10013007)
Leaving the meat out does nothing but make you wait longer for your food. Use oil and HIGH heat to sear, then lower the temp to cook to your preferred internal temperature.

Read this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/t...ing-steak.html

be that as it may, on the occasions that I have forgotten and had to throw steaks on cold, they have not cooked as evenly. I don't think it's mental, as I can physically see the difference. But that's just me.

I would totally agree on thin cuts, but when cooking an 1 1/2" or 2" steak, I am convinced it makes a difference.

And I always preheat the Weber to 600 plus. Get those grates nice and hot.

Fire Me Boy! 09-23-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 10012983)
check your science here FMB, salting in advance will draw out the mositure and make them dry. you want to salt just before grilling.

the rest is spot on.

Wrong. Given time, that moisture (and the liquified salt) will draw back into the steak and season inside the meat. http://mobile.seriouseats.com/2011/0...ct-steaks.html

Valiant 09-23-2013 10:00 PM

IMO the only reason why you would own table salt in a household is to waste on water when boiling eggs... **** that shit..

salame 09-23-2013 10:02 PM

let them rest for like 5-10 minutes with foil over them

HonestChieffan 09-23-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10012723)
Interesting. Will need to give it a shot.

Another option is Hickory Cane Syrup. There is a guy who makes and sells it from Belton Mo. Interesting product. He also sells a great smoked sea salt.

http://hickorycanesyrups.com

Silock 09-23-2013 10:45 PM

I have a slight variation on most of the GOOD advice in the thread, but I always get compliments.

1) Set meat out to come to room temp. It's not strictly necessary, but I find it helps make an even cook. Salt at this time. And you want to use either sea salt or kosher salt. Both are fine. And you want to cover the meat in salt as much as possible. It doesn't dry out the meat and anyone that tells you it does has no idea what they're talking about. I've been known to leave it out as long as 4 hours at this point. The salt keeps bacteria from growing on the meat, and even if it did, the heat would kill it off. There is zero reason that this small amount of time outside of the refrigerator would grow bacteria that would be harmful. If you get sick from the meat, it was already contaminated.

Also, if you're not going to be able to salt ahead of time, don't grill the steaks. You need at least an hour of them salted for it to do what it's supposed to, which is to begin to break down the fibers of the meat and season it.

2) Preheat the grill. As hot as possible.

I also don't sear on the grill grates. I use a seasoned cast iron grill pan/plate. It's completely flat to maximize contact with the meat and get the best crust possible. I usually wait until the plate is about 900 degrees or so. Pretty easy to do with a standard grill and a nice, thick cast iron plate.

3) Right before they go on the grill, I rinse off the salt and dry the steaks with paper towels. It doesn't need the salt on there at this point. It's already in the meat. But you don't want the steaks to be wet, either. That only interferes with the meat getting a nice crust.

Then, I rub them with olive oil. A teaspoon or so per side, but that's not a strict rule. Just make sure it's covered.

4) Grill. Usually 3 minutes per side, and then off. That goes for about 1" thick steaks.

5) Rest the meat for at least 5 minutes. As soon as the steaks come off the grill, put a small pat of butter on top to melt off and become to sauce for the steak.

It always tastes amazing and only gets compliments. I get people asking if they can pay for my steaks because they taste so good.

mike_b_284 09-23-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10010375)
The one thing you NEVER want to do with it is let the lid drop. Wind can take the lid off off easily if a decent storm rolls in. If the lid hits the cement, it's still useable, but it will never seal the same way. You will end up getting unwanted drafts in the thing, which can easily start fires inside and mess with what you're cooking. You can compensate to some degree for a bent lid by closing off the top vent, but it's a pain in the ass. I end up replacing them at least every two years because of a bent lid issue.

This is one of several reasons an Aussie Walkabout is better. I was all about the weber for years until I got the aussie as a gift. I'm sure many will vehemently disagree, but it is the best charcoal grill ever made.

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10013789)
I have a slight variation on most of the GOOD advice in the thread, but I always get compliments.

1) Set meat out to come to room temp. It's not strictly necessary, but I find it helps make an even cook. Salt at this time. And you want to use either sea salt or kosher salt. Both are fine. And you want to cover the meat in salt as much as possible. It doesn't dry out the meat and anyone that tells you it does has no idea what they're talking about. I've been known to leave it out as long as 4 hours at this point. The salt keeps bacteria from growing on the meat, and even if it did, the heat would kill it off. There is zero reason that this small amount of time outside of the refrigerator would grow bacteria that would be harmful. If you get sick from the meat, it was already contaminated.

Also, if you're not going to be able to salt ahead of time, don't grill the steaks. You need at least an hour of them salted for it to do what it's supposed to, which is to begin to break down the fibers of the meat and season it.

2) Preheat the grill. As hot as possible.

I also don't sear on the grill grates. I use a seasoned cast iron grill pan/plate. It's completely flat to maximize contact with the meat and get the best crust possible. I usually wait until the plate is about 900 degrees or so. Pretty easy to do with a standard grill and a nice, thick cast iron plate.

3) Right before they go on the grill, I rinse off the salt and dry the steaks with paper towels. It doesn't need the salt on there at this point. It's already in the meat. But you don't want the steaks to be wet, either. That only interferes with the meat getting a nice crust.

Then, I rub them with olive oil. A teaspoon or so per side, but that's not a strict rule. Just make sure it's covered.

4) Grill. Usually 3 minutes per side, and then off. That goes for about 1" thick steaks.

5) Rest the meat for at least 5 minutes. As soon as the steaks come off the grill, put a small pat of butter on top to melt off and become to sauce for the steak.

It always tastes amazing and only gets compliments. I get people asking if they can pay for my steaks because they taste so good.

:thumb:

mike_b_284 09-23-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

EXACTLY. Garlic is optional, and do let it rest at least 5 min afterword.

Ace Gunner 09-23-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tytanium (Post 10013031)
Kosher salt flakes tend to stick better in my experience, but I usually use Kirkland sea salt grinders. If you use table salt on steak, you ought to be shot.

if you use table salt at all, you need to be weeded from general pop.

mike_b_284 09-23-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace Gunner (Post 10013834)
if you use table salt at all, you need to be weeded from general pop.

seriously? genocide over salt???

vailpass 09-23-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_b_284 (Post 10013868)

It seems....extreme.

Phobia 09-23-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_b_284 (Post 10013868)

I recommend broken shins personally.

Shaid 09-23-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10010436)
I'm sure there are a thousand ways to do so.
but I get the grill piping hot (I usually put the grate on as soon as the flames from the first light go out). before a toss them on , I clean the shit out of the grill (clean grills are happy grills). Then immediately before they go on, I slather a bunch of veggie oil on the grate via tongs and paper towels soaked in it in a bowl.

Toss the steaks on. depending on thickness, I'll sear for about a 1:30 - 2:00 minutes. . Then I do the other side.

then flip back, lid on, keeping the top vent slightly open (bottom vent full open). flip once more until just about where I want t them.

Rest the meat for 5-10 minutes. I also keep the oven on at about 250 just in case they steaks are tool cool after resting, I'll put them back in there for a few while I prepare the rest of my plate, or salad etc.

I know there is some unwritten rule out there about flipping once, but I've done it this way for years and have never had a dry steak - unless it's my own fault for overcooking etc. It's almost like clock work for me. Only time they don't come out the way I want is either a mistake on my end/not monitoring cooking time (ie...too much of a buzz), or if I'm cooking an unfamiliar cut of meat, or a thickness I'm not quite used to (NTTAWWT).

The reason I sear and flip, is to get both sides seared very well while the grill is white hot. My $.02.

Yep, I like to sear both sides as well. Keeps the juices inside.

J Diddy 09-24-2013 12:24 AM

I just hope vp got himself a decent steak.

vailpass 09-24-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 10014275)
I just hope vp got himself a decent steak.

We got busy and didn't cook them tonight. Did have the bacon shrimp though.
F-ing delicious.

|Zach| 09-24-2013 12:45 AM

Good thread I have had similar issues though never really gone out of my way to figure out the error of my ways. My steaks are always just ok.

vailpass 09-24-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10014348)
Good thread I have had similar issues though never really gone out of my way to figure out the error of my ways. My steaks are always just ok.

Same boat. There are some very promising tips here though.

BWillie 09-24-2013 12:55 AM

I dunno I just go to Longhorn. They make a pretty good steak for a chain. $13 where its still $6.99 in the store not including sides is a deal IMO

I stopped cooking and spent more money on eating out, been happiness ever since

Cue the....ZOMG you like a restaurant chains steak! I can eat food better than you poast

ghak99 09-24-2013 01:09 AM

You've been given some really good tips and some straight up horrible info. ROFL

You'll figure out the grilling, but somewhere in this thread you mentioned you're trying to find a better source of meat. I believe I read "organic" in there somewhere. This term's definition is all over the place, but I'd urge you to figure out what it actually is and if it's really giving you the product you desire. In the high end meat market "organic" and "high quality" are generally not correlated with one another when it comes to putting 100 dollar steaks on the plate.

vailpass 09-24-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghak99 (Post 10014414)
You've been given some really good tips and some straight up horrible info. ROFL

You'll figure out the grilling, but somewhere in this thread you mentioned you're trying to find a better source of meat. I believe I read "organic" in there somewhere. This term's definition is all over the place, but I'd urge you to figure out what it actually is and if it's really giving you the product you desire. In the high end meat market "organic" and "high quality" are generally not correlated with one another when it comes to putting 100 dollar steaks on the plate.

Yeah I'm sorting through it all. In this case "organic" just means buying from a rancher who doesn't inject his cattle with growth hormones and feeds them natural ingredients.
Agree with you that the organic food market in general is misleading.

Silock 09-24-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10014348)

IMO, if there's just one thing you can focus on to start, it's the amount of heat you use to get a good sear. It's absolutely critical to have a very, very hot grill to get a good sear. The rest is really just details.

Silock 09-24-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10014422)
Yeah I'm sorting through it all. In this case "organic" just means buying from a rancher who doesn't inject his cattle with growth hormones and feeds them natural ingredients.
Agree with you that the organic food market in general is misleading.

I buy "choice" grade strip steaks and ribeyes from Costco. They still taste amazing.

Mod98Ban 09-24-2013 01:48 AM

I use Natures Seasoning, salt, and pepper. I usually season them up several hours before they go on the grill, seal them up in an air tight container, and let them set in the fridge. I will only grill steaks over charcoal, with some hickory chunks to add a nice smoke flavor. I've never had a steak come out dry, or tough from salting it before cooking. Also, when picking out a steak, make sure it's got plenty of marbling in it. That fat adds flavor, and juiciness.

ghak99 09-24-2013 01:51 AM

When you find your meat source and speak with the butcher, ask him how long it's going to be aged. If it's less than a week, ask him if you can pay him a little extra to let it hang another week or two. If he doesn't know why you're asking for this you should probably look for one who does. It's one of many very important steps to producing truly high quality steaks that has been eliminated from most suppliers protocol in an attempt to increase profits.

Just skimmed a quick Google search article, but most of the info in it looks correct and gives you an idea of why it's important.
http://bbq.about.com/cs/beef/a/aa030301a.htm

If people saw most of our carcasses hanging in the cooler they'd never eat the steaks they drool over on the plate. ROFL

Baby Lee 09-24-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10014298)
We got busy and didn't cook them tonight. Did have the bacon shrimp though.
F-ing delicious.

I've heard good things about tapenade.