ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2014 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280149)

Silock 02-09-2014 11:15 PM

Casein is thicker, but it doesn't really make a difference in terms of muscle building.

BigCatDaddy 02-09-2014 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10423941)
Casein is thicker, but it doesn't really make a difference in terms of muscle building.

I think there were some recent study's done showing whey to be superior in aiding muscle growth.

ThaVirus 02-09-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10423981)
I think there were some recent study's done showing whey to be superior in aiding muscle growth.

****!

Silock 02-09-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10423981)

Long term, it doesn't really make a difference. Whey stimulates MPS faster, casein does it for longer. They both elicit the same effect in the end.

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/casei...hey-new-study/

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2012...-hand-for.html

Omaha 02-10-2014 09:18 AM

I have always been told to take whey after a workout and casein at night prior to going to bed. That seems to make sense, but I'm pretty sure I'm about to be told I'm wrong.

Silock 02-10-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10424237)
I have always been told to take whey after a workout and casein at night prior to going to bed. That seems to make sense, but I'm pretty sure I'm about to be told I'm wrong.

You're not wrong. It just doesn't really matter that much.

Hammock Parties 02-10-2014 09:36 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rkbzZakcVrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Franchise 02-13-2014 06:13 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-HlBCuMuxZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigCatDaddy 02-13-2014 07:03 PM

Down about 20lbs in 6 weeks on keto and I'm able to maintain strength on my lifts so far. Look flat a bit but it will be worth in a few months.

penguinz 02-13-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10432224)
Down about 20lbs in 6 weeks on keto and I'm able to maintain strength on my lifts so far. Look flat a bit but it will be worth in a few months.

I have put on 12lbs in last couple of weeks. Going to need to drop it soon.

Simply Red 02-18-2014 11:53 PM

I strained my left shoulder/rotator area fairly significantly - What do you all think - one week off?

Omaha 02-18-2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10440705)
I strained my left shoulder/rotator area fairly significantly - What do you all think - one week off?

Let your shoulder tell you. Find ways to work around it whilst it heals. Legs, sprints, and cock pushups are all good options

Simply Red 02-19-2014 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10440709)
Let your shoulder tell you. Find ways to work around it whilst it heals. Legs, sprints, and cock pushups are all good options

i will do Abs tomorrow - It's such a struggle to find the correct amount of weight, though these nicks are always going to be there.

Omaha 02-19-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10440712)
i will do Abs tomorrow - It's such a struggle to find the correct amount of weight, though these nicks are always going to be there.

Yeah, I turned the corner a few years ago where I have some amount of pain every day. I really took feeling awesome for granted when I was in my 20s. I've pretty much stopped waiting for everything to be good again. Good luck with the shoulder.

Simply Red 02-19-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10440917)
Yeah, I turned the corner a few years ago where I have some amount of pain every day. I really took feeling awesome for granted when I was in my 20s. I've pretty much stopped waiting for everything to be good again. Good luck with the shoulder.

It's on my left side, go figure - my weaker of the two sides.

Simply Red 02-19-2014 10:11 AM

Seems somewhat better today - yet def. not normal yet.

I'm thinking Sat. or maybe even Sunday before I'm ready to suit-up again. This sucks.

Omaha 02-19-2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10441088)
Seems somewhat better today - yet def. not normal yet.

I'm thinking Sat. or maybe even Sunday before I'm ready to suit-up again. This sucks.

Do 6-8 qtr mile sprints or try the Sprint 8 routine that a couple of guys have recommended on here. I try to throw something like that in at least once or twice each week. It's a really quick workout & it will totally kick your ass.

Simply Red 02-19-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10441122)
Do 6-8 qtr mile sprints or try the Sprint 8 routine that a couple of guys have recommended on here. I try to throw something like that in at least once or twice each week. It's a really quick workout & it will totally kick your ass.

ok. I'll look into it - I have to watch my knee - ughh. I'm a former runner of 4 mis. per day.

BigCatDaddy 02-19-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10440705)

Pray it's just a strain. I tore a rotator cuff and couldn't bench for about 9 months, but didn't have surgery.

Simply Red 02-19-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10441161)
Pray it's just a strain. I tore a rotator cuff and couldn't bench for about 9 months, but didn't have surgery.

I have been. I hate to dial back the weight - but i may have to - until my lefty gets stronger - where future lifts are concerned.

jiveturkey 02-19-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10441161)

Did it heal? Are you back to 100%?

I've never had a shoulder injury (knock on pressed particle board) but I would think that avoiding surgery would be wise. My wife had major shoulder surgery and she often wishes that she didn't. Same story with one of my workout buddies.

I've had a couple of knee surgeries and it seems like it's close to impossible to mess up that joint. The shoulder is probably the most complicated joint in the body though.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2014 03:18 PM

I started doing thighmaster machine exercises and realized I never work that part of my legs. I hurt.

http://wayoflifebootcamp.com/wp-cont...gh-machine.jpg

Silock 02-19-2014 04:46 PM

not sure if srs

NewChief 02-19-2014 04:56 PM

Weird strain in my groin from hiking with my kids this weekend (my 70 lb. special needs son needs lots of help, and I have to lift him onto and down from boulders when we get adventurous). Anyway, it isn't sore and doesn't really hurt, but when I do certain motions, it sends a super sharp pain through my groin. Feels like a rotator cuff, but it's like in my groin.

So I'm resting this week.

ThaVirus 02-19-2014 05:24 PM

It's like week 15 of an NFL season up in this bitch.

Urc Burry 02-19-2014 05:30 PM

I seperated my shoulder on the 4th of July and i still can't bench right. It hurts when i get the bar to my chest. I can incline dumbbell press, but straight barbell bench is no bueno. And it sucks because I was at my all time high :(

Hammock Parties 02-19-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10441855)
not sure if srs

You got a better method for my inner thighs?

Buehler445 02-19-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douche Baggins (Post 10441951)

Basketball.

Silock 02-19-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douche Baggins (Post 10441951)

Split squats. Quads, Hammies, glutes, groin, and everything else.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10442176)

I already do those, although not that exact motion. I do a stepback/reverse lunge motion. Apparently it's not hitting those muscles.

Silock 02-19-2014 08:32 PM

Go lower? More weight?

penguinz 02-19-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douche Baggins (Post 10442183)
I already do those, although not that exact motion. I do a stepback/reverse lunge motion. Apparently it's not hitting those muscles.

Squats, ass to calves.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10442280)
Squats, ass to calves.

Yeah I'm not going that low. That should do the trick.

Silock 02-20-2014 12:45 AM

Why not?

Hammock Parties 02-20-2014 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10442730)
Why not?

I'm just saying generally my ass does not touch my calves.

I will try that.

Aspengc8 02-20-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douche Baggins (Post 10442183)

I used to us both the adductor & abductor machines as assistance on my squat and deadlift days when on 5/3/1. The abductor will help your squat out, adductor helped my sumo pulls. They get a bad rap because you often see fat chicks all over them. I see a lot of elite powerlifters are big on them, so take that for what its worth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10441180)
I have been. I hate to dial back the weight - but i may have to - until my lefty gets stronger - where future lifts are concerned.

It could be an impingement. It could be a tear. It could be just inflammation. You wont know unless you get it checked out. I would stop any overhead work and double up on your rear delt & rotator work (if you do any at all).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douche Baggins (Post 10442731)

I will try that.

Mine doesn't either, and im going as low as I can when i squat. i dont really squat that often anymore as i've found other movements give me better overall leg size. squats where just upping my ass size.

penguinz 02-20-2014 07:58 AM

I have found that for me I get a much better pump on squats going ass to calves with lighter weight and higher reps. Also been much more pleasant on lower back not having the compression from a ton of weight.

Aspengc8 02-20-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10442865)
I have found that for me I get a much better pump on squats going ass to calves with lighter weight and higher reps. Also been much more pleasant on lower back not having the compression from a ton of weight.

My trainer has me doing the same thing. We do *some* heavy work, but squats are usually sets of 20 with something light like 225. We do a lot more leg press, hack squat & split squats, and we split up hams & quads on seperate days because its just not viable with the amount of volume we do. I don't want to be there for 3 hours.

jiveturkey 02-20-2014 09:50 AM

Add me to the injury list.

A minor shoulder tweak at the end of my workout last night (reverse flyes). It's just a little sore when I move it certain ways. I can feel it on top, mid delt, where it connects. We'll see how it does when chest day rolls around on Monday. Luckily I'm starting the endurance cycle, which is low weight high rep. I think that my shoulders are a little wore out.

Simply Red 02-20-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 10443061)
Add me to the injury list.

A minor shoulder tweak at the end of my workout last night (reverse flyes). It's just a little sore when I move it certain ways. I can feel it on top, mid delt, where it connects. We'll see how it does when chest day rolls around on Monday. Luckily I'm starting the endurance cycle, which is low weight high rep. I think that my shoulders are a little wore out.

that sucks, Just rest. I think I'll be good after Saturday (1 week)
I've fast some over this resting period.
I'm really just tired, my life is kicking my ass - There's still some feeling of faint strain, but i really believe in 48 hrs or so - I'll be ready to cook.

jiveturkey 02-20-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10443166)
that sucks, Just rest. I think I'll be good after Saturday (1 week)
I've fast some over this resting period.
I'm really just tired, my life is kicking my ass - There's still some feeling of faint strain, but i really believe in 48 hrs or so - I'll be ready to cook.

I think that life is kicking a lot of asses right now. I've noticed that I'm feeling more run down than normal and I attribute it to winter. I require some time in the sun and this time of year always gets a little rough.

Silock 02-20-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

That's why I do single leg. Easier on the back with more weight capacity per leg.

ReynardMuldrake 02-20-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10432224)

+1 for keto! I'm down about 30 lbs since December. I just had to cut another hole in my belt this morning because I ran out of notches and my pants are falling down.

lewdog 02-20-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Add me to the list of people who don't give two shits about "the pump" on a leg day.

Silock 02-20-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10444236)
Add me to the list of people who don't give two shits about "the pump" on a leg day.

Me either ... because it's fleeting. Heavy 4 lyfe.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014...nsity-low.html

Saccopoo 02-20-2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douche Baggins (Post 10442731)

I will try that.

Yeah, but your finger seems to have no problem.

Like your calves are something special...pfft.

Now, back to my supersetting of pushups, pullups and dips.

Hugh Jackman is trembling as I type this.

jiveturkey 02-21-2014 09:52 AM

I'm going to put this here and maybe the "Stop eating sugar" thread.

I've railed on this before and it still pissed me off today.

A little over 3 years ago and I had my first bad blood pressure reading ever and it was something like 140/90. It's what put me on the straight and narrow (diet and exercise). For the longest time it wouldn't come down regardless of what I did and I was monitoring it at home from time to time.

Then I went to a new doc who checked it the old fashion way and I was 110/70. I was floored. I told him the story and he told me that the automated machines are always high. He showed me by taking a reading on my other arm 5 minutes later and it was 140/90.

I recently had my annual test with my insurance company (we get reward points for good numbers and that means cash money) and they used the automated sleeve. I was of course 140/90 and when I asked for a manual reading they looked at me like I was on fire. So the shitty number went in the system. I am however able to get retested whenever I like so I went back to the new doc and I'm at 115/62, basically Superman.

Moral of the story - **** those automated sleeves! :cuss:

GordonGekko 02-21-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 10444749)
I'm going to put this here and maybe the "Stop eating sugar" thread.

I've railed on this before and it still pissed me off today.

A little over 3 years ago and I had my first bad blood pressure reading ever and it was something like 140/90. It's what put me on the straight and narrow (diet and exercise). For the longest time it wouldn't come down regardless of what I did and I was monitoring it at home from time to time.

Then I went to a new doc who checked it the old fashion way and I was 110/70. I was floored. I told him the story and he told me that the automated machines are always high. He showed me by taking a reading on my other arm 5 minutes later and it was 140/90.

I recently had my annual test with my insurance company (we get reward points for good numbers and that means cash money) and they used the automated sleeve. I was of course 140/90 and when I asked for a manual reading they looked at me like I was on fire. So the shitty number went in the system. I am however able to get retested whenever I like so I went back to the new doc and I'm at 115/62, basically Superman.

Moral of the story - **** those automated sleeves! :cuss:

If true, this is actually pretty dangerous to people who are getting treated for HBP when their's is fine.

KC native 02-21-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 10444943)
If true, this is actually pretty dangerous to people who are getting treated for HBP when their's is fine.

It's not true for all automated sleeves, but it is true for a lot of them. If you get a high reading then a good doctor will check manually to verify (that's what mine does).

jiveturkey 02-21-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10444951)
It's not true for all automated sleeves, but it is true for a lot of them. If you get a high reading then a good doctor will check manually to verify (that's what mine does).

And it might not be true for all individuals. It just flat doesn't work on me.

Your advice stands. When in doubt, double check (manually).

Simply Red 02-22-2014 10:16 AM

www.woot.com

Silock 02-22-2014 11:13 AM

I think that stuff tastes like ass.

Simply Red 02-23-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10446676)
I think that stuff tastes like ass.

Never had it - just saw it looked like a fair deal.

I tried to work out yesterday without success. I'm just not quite 100%.

It blows. I've been working core some and fasting some.

Do you think I should simply take another entire week off?

Again this is regarding the rotator strain.

Brock 02-23-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10448683)
Never had it - just saw it looked like a fair deal.

I tried to work out yesterday without success. I'm just not quite 100%.

It blows. I've been working core some and fasting some.

Do you think I should simply take another entire week off?

Again this is regarding the rotator strain.

What can't you do because of the pain? I would just continue to do what you can do while rehabbing the shoulder. You are rehabbing the shoulder, right? Ice, heat, stretching?

Simply Red 02-23-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 10448690)
What can't you do because of the pain? I would just continue to do what you can do while rehabbing the shoulder. You are rehabbing the shoulder, right? Ice, heat, stretching?

I NEED to ice bro, admittedly i've not. I HAVE done the Epsom salt baths - I'm not sure that's a good thing though.

Mostly just resting it. This is the first time I've had an injury of this sort - I DO feel it getting stronger - but felt a little negative kickback while only doing curls. My fear is re-injury. So.... IDK

Silock 02-23-2014 03:46 PM

Let it heal. Do what you can without using it, even if that's just cardio.

Simply Red 02-23-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10448819)
Let it heal. Do what you can without using it, even if that's just cardio.

thanks mate.

Simply Red 02-23-2014 08:16 PM

Think I'll practice Tuesday, I'm guessing.

Hammock Parties 02-23-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10449327)
Think I'll practice Tuesday, I'm guessing.

http://img.wonkette.com/wp-content/u...-nice-dear.png

Simply Red 02-24-2014 08:38 AM

I'm literally ripping my lower Abs this morning.

Simply Red 02-24-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douche Baggins (Post 10449330)

is that you?

Simply Red 02-24-2014 08:42 AM

I'm zeroing in on my lower abs - I'm sexy like magic mike.

NewChief 02-24-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10449982)
I'm literally ripping my lower Abs this morning.

You're about to get "ripped" here as well, heh.

Simply Red 02-24-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10449997)
You're about to get "ripped" here as well, heh.

I don't really care. And am half joking, but yeah I have to do abs or run, until I'm 100%.

NewChief 02-24-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10450000)
I don't really care. And am half joking, but yeah I have to do abs or run, until I'm 100%.

Is it just your shoulder? Can you do some leg work? Something like this: http://my.menshealth.com/challenges/leg-matrix

Simply Red 02-24-2014 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10450017)
Is it just your shoulder? Can you do some leg work? Something like this: http://my.menshealth.com/challenges/leg-matrix

yeah. rotator area.

Aspengc8 02-24-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10450024)
yeah. rotator area.

What do you normally do for your shoulder work? Any cable rotator work before any pressing?

Omaha 02-24-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

I just added these to my leg routine and I'm loving them. I've got my wife doing them, too, so that's pretty awesome.

Simply Red 02-24-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10450590)
What do you normally do for your shoulder work? Any cable rotator work before any pressing?

no sir - but thank you for this - I can certainly make something like that happen moving forward, I appreciate it.

el borracho 02-24-2014 08:54 PM

I have recently changed my routine from strength training to a volume routine (less weight, more sets, more reps). Since making that change, I have noticed that my sets on the bench press end when my triceps fail (not the case when I was strength training).

What is the most likely cause:
1. form is bad; working triceps more than chest
2. form is good; chest fails first; able to do a few more reps using triceps; then triceps fail, which ends the set
3. form is good; triceps are weak; triceps fail before chest
4. some other explanation

KC native 02-24-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 10451448)
I have recently changed my routine from strength training to a volume routine (less weight, more sets, more reps). Since making that change, I have noticed that my sets on the bench press end when my triceps fail (not the case when I was strength training).

2. form is good; chest fails first; able to do a few more reps using triceps; then triceps fail, which ends the set

5. Aids fire?

Good question though. I'm interested in the answer. I do a volume routine and usually my triceps are what fail. I do dumbbell bench though.

lewdog 02-24-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 10451448)

Did you change your grip width?

el borracho 02-24-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10451574)
Did you change your grip width?

Don't believe so.

Aspengc8 02-25-2014 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 10451711)
Don't believe so.

I have never seen someones chest 'fail' on bench, unless they tear a pec. Usually the weakness is either in the tricep (second half to lockout) or off the chest (front delt). We need a video to really be able to diagnose. We need to see grip width (as Lew mentioned), how your elbows are tucking (or flaring) as well as overall bench setup. I think it would be cool if guys started throwing up some videos on PR's, etc. Tuck e-peens away and be able to help each other with form, setup, etc.

jiveturkey 02-25-2014 10:15 AM

Is there more info regarding cable work for shoulder warm ups?

NewChief 02-25-2014 12:56 PM

Holy shit. Going crazy having to listen to a coworker talk about Crossfit. Even when I make fun of him for doing Crossfit and how he's always hurt, he still comes back and talks about CF constantly. At this moment, I can hear him in the next office, talking about Crossfit.

penguinz 02-25-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10452840)
Holy shit. Going crazy having to listen to a coworker talk about Crossfit. Even when I make fun of him for doing Crossfit and how he's always hurt, he still comes back and talks about CF constantly. At this moment, I can hear him in the next office, talking about Crossfit.

You work with Omaha?

Omaha 02-25-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10452885)
You work with Omaha?

:banghead:

ThaVirus 02-25-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

I had to google the name but I actually added these to my workout a few weeks ago. I've also been (I don't know the name so I'll just describe it) stepping up and down onto a bench with a weight on my back.

I'm getting soreness in muscles I rarely hit before.

I kick my front leg out pretty far when I'm doing split squats. I wonder, does that increase flexibility in my hammies?

ThaVirus 02-27-2014 03:51 PM

Today I did squats with my toes elevated (my toes were on 25 LB weights and my heels were touching the ground). It alleviated a shit ton of the pressure from my knees and felt like it was working all ass and hammies. It felt great.

I also recently widened my grip on the bench. It seems to be working my chest and shoulders more than it did with my standard grip.