ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Rap Sheet: Talks With Alex Smith Not Progressing Well (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283410)

Eleazar 05-06-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10604631)
http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-...medium=twitter

A quarterback for the Chiefs?

If the Kansas City Chiefs believe a quarterback is the best player available to them when they pick 23rd in the first round of the NFL draft on Thursday, then they should take him. Absolutely. I'm signing on to that idea here and now. It's never a bad idea to draft a quarterback, if the team that selects him truly believes he will eventually become a great one.

It's a horrible idea to draft one for any other reason, even need. This is precisely why it's troubling if the Chiefs are considering selecting a quarterback in the first round, which according to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, they are. Negotiations with starting quarterback Alex Smith on a long-term contract extension aren't going well and, Rapoport says, the Chiefs would consider drafting Smith's replacement because of it.

I'm having trouble getting my arms around this one. One minute the Chiefs consider Smith their long-term solution at quarterback and they want to sign him to the extension, as chairman Clark Hunt has said. The next they're ready to find his successor?

This isn't how Hunt, general manager John Dorsey and coach Andy Reid wanted to operate the Chiefs. They have a long-term plan they will adjust as they see fit, but not because they're having trouble signing a key player 10 months before he's scheduled to become a free agent.

That type of move smells not of anything in a long-term plan, but of panic. Make no mistake, if the Chiefs draft a quarterback based on what they believe will be a need next year, that's a panic move. They made a commitment to Smith by trading for him last year and they're ready to scrap him at the first sign of trouble?

And if they panic on this, it follows the Chiefs will panic on other things to come. If they do that, don't plan on another Super Bowl for the Chiefs for a lot of years to come.

No, the Chiefs need to continue to build their team the best way they see fit, regardless of where they are in their negotiations with Smith. If a quarterback is available to the Chiefs on Thursday, they should take him if they believe he's going to be great.

If not and he's merely Plan B in case they can't re-sign Smith, forget about it. Move on to another player at another position.

Teicher gonna Teicher ROFL :stupid:

RunKC 05-06-2014 08:18 AM

They want those extra picks. And I bet they damn well get them.

They know either Bridgewater or Carr will be sitting there and they want that phone ringing.

MahiMike 05-06-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10603546)
If we re-sign Smith, it will be Aaron Murray in the 4th.

If we don't... welcome to Kansas City, Jimmy Garoppolo.

Mettenburger

FRCDFED 05-06-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 10604721)
Mettenburger

It would be tough to choose between Mettenburger and Murray. Both have a lot of potential. I would prefer to see a trade down and pick up WR Matthews with our first selection.

OldSchool 05-06-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10604708)

They know either Bridgewater or Carr will be sitting there and they want that phone ringing.

This.

rico 05-06-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 10604727)
It would be tough to choose between Mettenburger and Murray. Both have a lot of potential. I would prefer to see a trade down and pick up WR Matthews with our first selection.

Didn't those two have a QB competition a few years ago at Georgia? I'll have to look that up... I think Mettenberger used to be a Georgia guy.

ThaVirus 05-06-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10604708)

If that's the case then all we would have done is garner the Eagles more trade offers.

The only logical explanation for releasing this "info" outside of contract negotiations with Smith is hoping other teams will attempt to trade up ahead of us and nab a QB leaving a WR, S, etc on the board.

rico 05-06-2014 10:02 AM

Ahh, Mettenberger in Murray didn't have a QB competition... it was this:

"Mettenberger originally attended the University of Georgia but was kicked off the team due to a violation of team rules. On April 30, 2010, Mettenberger pleaded guilty to two sexual battery charges stemming from an incident at a bar near Valdosta, Georgia."

What in the hell is up with a QB's last name ending in "berger" and being arrested for sexual shit?

temper11 05-06-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10603020)
Its because he wants to get paid like a top QB. And chiefs want to pay him like he is who they thought he was. A middle of a road guy who has to have highly paid, highly skilled players around him to make shit happen. If we give him Jay Cutler money (aka stupid money) then we are ****ed on money even harder so there is no point. He (his agent) will have to be reasonable :/

Which successful QB's don't have highly skilled guys around them?

RealSNR 05-06-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 10604891)

What in the hell is up with a QB's last name ending in "berger" and being arrested for sexual shit?

So they can keep up with variations of perhaps the greatest and most classic joke of all time.

"Mettenberger? I hardly know her!"

rico 05-06-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10604920)
So they can keep up with variations of perhaps the greatest and most classic joke of all time.

"Mettenberger? I hardly know her!"

LMAO

"Rapelsberger? But she pulled my pants down and sucked MY dick."

temper11 05-06-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 10603078)
What side would you be on? The pro-Smith or the "finally, we drafted a 1st round QB for the first time since 1983" side? Well...I'm guessing it probably depends on the QB selected.

I'm not sure it does. This fan base (and I'm making this broad generalization based on the postings of this MB alone) is dying to draft a QB with their number 1, it doesn't seem to much matter who it is, just so long as it's a QB in the first round. I was surprised to learn how long it's been, so I can understand this desire.

The Franchise 05-06-2014 10:29 AM

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 43m

George Whitfield on Teddy Bridgewater: "I see Andy Dalton, even a little bit of Alex Smith ... distributors of the football."

rico 05-06-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10604947)
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 43m

George Whitfield on Teddy Bridgewater: "I see Andy Dalton, even a little bit of Alex Smith ... distributors of the football."

Well, I guess we're picking Teddy Bridgewater with our first selection. :D

BossChief 05-06-2014 10:48 AM

Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel or Carr.

I'd be just fine with any of them at 23.

temper11 05-06-2014 11:03 AM

I have no idea what's going on in the contract discussions. I don't know if this report by rappaport is just negotiation tactics..., I don't know if Smith is even involved in them or not, I don't know if the Smith camp is asking for big money or if they are asking for long-term or both or neither, or anything. No one does.

But isn't it possible that they want to sign smith for a long term (3 to 5 years) AND spend their number 1 pick on a QB, if a QB they like falls to them? I know this doesn't enjoy a lot of popularity with fans, because fans like "immediate impact guys" out of the draft, but if the Chiefs like a kid, draft him, and then let him develop under Smith for a few years so when he takes the field, he doesn't get ruined as so many young QB's do - isn't that a good thing? Isn't this what both Dorsey and Reid did with Farve and Rodgers? Didn't Rodgers go late in the first round as well?

This would hurt because there are a number of holes on the roster that need to be filled but sometimes you have to bite the bullet for the long term gain. Developing your franchise QB over a few years under an experienced QB might be one of the best formulas for eventual payoffs there is. Teams just rarely have the patience to do it anymore though.

Also, do you really want to draft your hotshot QB and put him behind the line that the Chiefs have on paper right now? That kids career would likely be over before it began. If the Chiefs do draft a QB number 1, then I think it is all the more critical to sign Smith up for a few years to protect that QB from flaming out.

temper11 05-06-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 10603262)
Not giving Smith an extension would give him incentive to play his ass of next year for a big, lucrative contract...whether it be with the Chiefs or whoever. If he doesn't get extended and does, in fact play his ass off, that would justify what we would have to pay him via franchise tag.

I could be wrong... but I honestly don't think Smith needs this kind of motivation. I've seen every snap of this NFL career, he plays with the same level of effort whether he is getting paid #1 overall pick in the draft money, or 1 year deal "make it or break it" money. He has gotten smarter and more cautious over the years - and the increased cautiousness has been both a good and a bad thing - but the level of effort has never changed. He just doesn't need incentive to "play his ass off".

rico 05-06-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temper11 (Post 10605016)
I could be wrong... but I honestly don't think Smith needs this kind of motivation. I've seen every snap of this NFL career, he plays with the same level of effort whether he is getting paid #1 overall pick in the draft money, or 1 year deal "make it or break it" money. He has gotten smarter and more cautious over the years - and the increased cautiousness has been both a good and a bad thing - but the level of effort has never changed. He just doesn't need incentive to "play his ass off".

Meh, just a thought... :shrug:

keg in kc 05-06-2014 11:21 AM

I think this whole "earn his contract" idea has been bullshit from the beginning. They aren't going to trade two 2nd round picks away for a guy they don't plan to extend. Which is the box they put themselves into. They have no leverage at all.

temper11 05-06-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCSLC2008 (Post 10603670)
This is why Smith hasn't signed. He's not stupid. He'll sign a big contract now, a team friendly contract if we don't pick high, and play this year out if we do.

This would be my guess as well.

rico 05-06-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10605036)
I think this whole "earn his contract" idea has been bullshit from the beginning. They aren't going to trade two 2nd round picks away for a guy they don't plan to extend. Which is the box they put themselves into. They have no leverage at all.

It depends on how much value Clark/Dorsey put into stopping the bleeding from a seriously wounded franchise and rejuvenating the fan base to put butts in seats. 2012 was so freaking catastrophic. I mean, shit...a fool murdered his squeeze and then blew his own brains out in front of the HC/GM, banners were being flown requesting the QB be benched and the GM fired, a couple games were "black-outs." In their eyes, maybe they thought it would take something extremely bold, like being overzealous with what they forked over for Smith to at the least, get the fans excited/interested again.

IF they don't have plans on extending Smith any time soon, I think it can be indicative of a couple things... 1.) They are playing hard ball with Condon, or at the least are refusing to bend over, spread their butt-cheeks and take it in the ass from the dude...which is GREAT...it's about time someone steps up to that money-grubber. 2.) They consider Poe, Berry and Houston to be less expendable than Smith and they know they will need to sign them to lucrative contracts in the near future...which is also GREAT because they are right about that...not to mention, it's nice to know they aren't handcuffing themselves to the guy like Pioli did so ridiculously prematurely with Cassel.

keg in kc 05-06-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

It depends on how much value Clark/Dorsey put into stopping the bleeding from a seriously wounded franchise and rejuvenating the fan base to put butts in seats.
I think that's a complete non-factor.

temper11 05-06-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10604518)
That doesn't change the fact that Condon is asking for way too much money for his client. And we honestly shouldn't give it to him.

You've seen a report that shows what Condon is asking for? Link?

rico 05-06-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10605067)
I think that's a complete non-factor.

Yeah, I suppose you are right. For if it's one thing that Clark Hunt learned after his Cheap's 2012 season, it's this:

http://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000002...op.jpg?164b459

I suppose we would have sold as many tickets, jerseys, etc. in 2013 if Cassel had remained our starter.

temper11 05-06-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10604880)
If that's the case then all we would have done is garner the Eagles more trade offers.

The only logical explanation for releasing this "info" outside of contract negotiations with Smith is hoping other teams will attempt to trade up ahead of us and nab a QB leaving a WR, S, etc on the board.

If the Chiefs didn't have a solid QB already then I'd agree with you... but since they have a solid proven QB, I think hinting they MIGHT draft for the QBOTF could scare a few QB desperate teams to try and trade up with the Chiefs with the pitch that more later round picks for KC will solve more immediate needs.

rico 05-06-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temper11 (Post 10605077)

It's his history in asking too much and in many/most cases receiving too much for his other clients that would validate the speculation that the same is going on with Smith.

temper11 05-06-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 10605105)
It's his history in asking too much and in many/most cases receiving too much for his other clients that would validate the speculation that the same is going on with Smith.

Ahhh... ok. Thought I missed a report somehere in which a number was tossed out.

Thanks,

BossChief 05-06-2014 11:56 AM

Casserly just said he spoke with someone involved in the negotiations with Alex Smith and they are "nowhere" in the talks and he guaranteed the Chiefs take a QB.

Said he wouldn't guarantee it would be with the first pick, but that he guarantees they take a QB in the draft.

Sandy Vagina 05-06-2014 12:02 PM

eh... I have had enough of this. Trade Alex to a team that actually wants to win. A team that has WRs, an OL, and a defense worth playing for! :p

I don't believe any of this shit, but it's funny. KC is just trying to rattle some chains before the draft. Why not? Might get a team to bite and trade in front of or even with KC for 23... and that pushes a good non-QB their way or they get the extra draft pick(s) they need to field a good team around a QB. :)

RealSNR 05-06-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temper11 (Post 10605077)

I don't need to. I highly doubt Condon would be happy with 3 years $15 million or something like that for his client, and it's just the mean ol' Chiefs being stingy assholes.

If the Chiefs valued Alex Smith as much as people think they do, then the negotiations wouldn't be so far apart right now. Either the Chiefs don't think very highly of Smith and are undercutting him by a ton, or Condon is asking for something ridiculous like Jay Cutler money.

In either case, it means the team should walk away from Alex if Condon's not going to come down either to the level the team thinks he's worth or if he's not going to come down to a reasonable level that the team should be expected to pay.

The Franchise 05-06-2014 12:06 PM

**** it....draft a QB at 23. Smith can go **** himself if he's asking for Cutler money.

bowener 05-06-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks (Post 10605130)
eh... I have had enough of this. Trade Alex to a team that actually wants to win. A team that has WRs, an OL, and a defense worth playing for! :p

I don't believe any of this shit, but it's funny. KC is just trying to rattle some chains before the draft. Why not? Might get a team to bite and trade in front of or even with KC for 23... and that pushes a good non-QB their way or they get the extra draft pick(s) they need to field a good team around a QB. :)

Texans for their 2nd rounder?

O.city 05-06-2014 12:10 PM

Saying you are interesting in drafting a QB doesn't make a team who wants to take a QB want to trade with you. It makes them want to trade in front of you to take a QB.

With all the BS they've swashed about how they love Smith yada yada, I'd imagine they're trying to get someone to trade in front of them to take a QB, making someone they want fall.

Eleazar 05-06-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10605137)
**** it....draft a QB at 23. Smith can go **** himself if he's asking for Cutler money.

Smith is worth more than Cutler as your team's QB.

RealSNR 05-06-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10605120)
Casserly just said he spoke with someone involved in the negotiations with Alex Smith and they are "nowhere" in the talks and he guaranteed the Chiefs take a QB.

Said he wouldn't guarantee it would be with the first pick, but that he guarantees they take a QB in the draft.

Aaron Murray.

Which honestly, I'd be fine with that if it meant getting a decent trade down offer and a player like Ward or a Matthews/Moncrief/Cooks/Latimer type WR.

No ****ing fatties, though.

O.city 05-06-2014 12:16 PM

This whole Alex Smith trade is looking like a huge debacle. You don't trade that many high picks for a guy you aren't willing to re sign.

If this comes to pass, our front office really ****ed this thing up.

BossChief 05-06-2014 12:16 PM

I think Aaron Murray goes a lot higher than most here think.

RealSNR 05-06-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10605151)
Smith is worth more than Cutler as your team's QB.

The Bears are ****ing morons for paying that much for Cutler.

We'd be ****ing morons if we paid that much for Smith. Nothing like hampering your salary cap with a non-elite QB while trying to maintain the longterm stability of your defense with pro bowl players who need extensions.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-06-2014 12:16 PM

If the Chiefs lose Smith it obviously makes the draft pick trade look even worse, but Dorsey would have to be applauded for not throwing good money after bad.

The trade is a sunk cost at this point. If he's not worth $15 million a year, and he's not, then don't give it to him.

Him leaving could be the best thing to happen to the Chiefs. They can't win with this current group as is, so don't try and build a skyscraper with a shitty foundation.

The Franchise 05-06-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10605164)
If the Chiefs lose Smith it obviously makes the draft pick trade look even worse, but Dorsey would have to be applauded for not throwing good money after bad.

The trade is a sunk cost at this point. If he's not worth $15 million a year, and he's not, then don't give it to him.

Him leaving could be the best thing to happen to the Chiefs. They can't win with this current group as is, so don't try and build a skyscraper with a shitty foundation.

This.

RealSNR 05-06-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10605162)

I think he'll go in the late 2nd round. But it wouldn't surprise me if he went even higher.

If we trade down once or twice and he's there in the late 2nd and early 3rd with our new picks, he needs to be drafted.

**** Mettenberger and **** McCarron.

BossChief 05-06-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Absolutely.

rico 05-06-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10605157)
Aaron Murray.

Which honestly, I'd be fine with that if it meant getting a decent trade down offer and a player like Ward or a Matthews/Moncrief/Cooks/Latimer type WR.

No ****ing fatties, though.

Which round would you be fine with drafting Murray in?

O.city 05-06-2014 12:20 PM

Being the Chiefs, it's pretty obvious what's about to go down.

We'll draft a QB in the first round in hopes to be the successor next year when Smith leaves. Smith will end up having a monster year, we'll let him walk or something, he'll go on to have great success elsewhere, our first round QB will end up sucking.

End of tale.

BossChief 05-06-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10605169)
I think he'll go in the late 2nd round. But it wouldn't surprise me if he went even higher.

If we trade down once or twice and he's there in the late 2nd and early 3rd with our new picks, he needs to be drafted.

**** Mettenberger and **** McCarron.

I guess he has been impressive recently and might be ready to go for TC.

the Talking Can 05-06-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

agree, but it begs the question: what the hell did they think he was going to ask for in a contract?

they thought he was good enough to give up 2nds for but not good enough to pay top QB money?

the logic beaks down....they believed he was 'the guy' to lead the franchise, but that he would only ask for Thigpen money??

i'd like dorsey to walk us through it

rico 05-06-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10605162)

Me too. I keep reading articles about him being a mid-round "steal," which makes me think, well then, why hasn't his draft stock risen? I know, the ACL...yeah, yeah...but still...?

O.city 05-06-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 10605176)
agree, but it begs the question: what the hell did they think he was going to ask for in a contract?

they thought he was good enough to give up 2nds for but not good enough to pay top QB money?

the logic beaks down....they believed he was 'the guy' to lead the franchise, but that he would only ask for Thigpen money??

This.

It begs the question of what did they hope would happen? He would come in, not play as well, ask for less money? If thats the case, they're bigger morons than they appear.

O.city 05-06-2014 12:23 PM

So far in his tenure, our GM isn't looking very good. At all.

Not necessarily in this "not paying Smith" thing, which I'm fine with either way, it just makes the acquirement all the more stupid.

HemiEd 05-06-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10605120)

****ing train wreck. I never thought I would be wishing Carl, or even worse, Pioli was back running things.

BossChief 05-06-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10605172)
Being the Chiefs, it's pretty obvious what's about to go down.

We'll draft a QB in the first round in hopes to be the successor next year when Smith leaves. Smith will end up having a monster year, we'll let him walk or something, he'll go on to have great success elsewhere, our first round QB will end up sucking.

End of tale.

I doubt the brain trust here of Andy Reid, his coaches and John Dorsey would be reluctant to sign Alex Smith to a big deal unless there were legit reasons for that reluctance.

I mean, Andy Reid pushed to give Mike Vick a 100 million dollar contract in Philly.

rico 05-06-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10605190)
I doubt the brain trust here of Andy Reid, his coaches and John Dorsey would be reluctant to sign Alex Smith to a big deal unless there were legit reasons for that reluctance.

I mean, Andy Reid pushed to give Mike Vick a 100 million dollar contract in Philly.

God, this is a good point.

O.city 05-06-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

If you have that much reluctance, a year after giving up what you gave up for him.....well, I'll let you decide on how to feel about that I guess.

O.city 05-06-2014 12:26 PM

Frankly, I think it's all posturing for something. It's draft week.

keg in kc 05-06-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

There's zero positive out of that trade if Smith walks after year 2. The end result is still a total disaster of a trade, and two years of the latest attempt at a rebuild utterly wasted. Less bad than it could have been is not grounds for a pat on the back.

RealSNR 05-06-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 10605171)
Which round would you be fine with drafting Murray in?

If we had our 2nd round pick from the 49ers (56th overall? Something like that?) I'd draft him at that spot.

I'm pretty certain Murray will be gone by our pick in the 3rd. Given the team's interest in a QB and reports of the negotiations, if we don't trade down at all and by some miracle he's there at our pick in the 3rd, I would draft him without blinking. Then I would drive over to Tom Condon's house, kick his dog in the throat, and take a shit in his kitchen sink.

On the side without the garbage disposal

BossChief 05-06-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Alex Smith has made public comments about taking less money to be a tam player...it's only recently that he has made his "I'm leaving it up to my agent" type comments.

It's plausible that they gave up more than expected because they were factoring in his sign ability factor and now that factor isn't in play any longer.

Mother****erJones 05-06-2014 12:27 PM

Can't believe shit you hear right now.

the Talking Can 05-06-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

i doubt clark is hot to give anynone a $100 mill contract...maybe he'd like the QB to win something first, you know to actually deserve it

i think we can abandon the idea, as well, that Smith is willing to play for less just because he's a swell guy

BossChief 05-06-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 10605188)
****ing train wreck. I never thought I would be wishing Carl, or even worse, Pioli was back running things.

I wouldn't go that far.

the Talking Can 05-06-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10605199)
Alex Smith has made public comments about taking less money to be a tam player...it's only recently that he has made his "I'm leaving it up to my agent" type comments.

It's plausible that they gave up more than expected because they were factoring in his sign ability factor and now that factor isn't in play any longer.

his comments are pr, imo...you hire Condon to get paid

Eleazar 05-06-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10605163)
The Bears are ****ing morons for paying that much for Cutler.

We'd be ****ing morons if we paid that much for Smith. Nothing like hampering your salary cap with a non-elite QB while trying to maintain the longterm stability of your defense with pro bowl players who need extensions.

I agree that Cutler was overpaid, but Smith's camp is probably correctly saying that Smith is better than Cutler, so a Cutler-like deal would be giving the team a discount.

the Talking Can 05-06-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10605206)
I agree that Cutler was overpaid, but Smith's camp is probably correctly saying that Smith is better than Cutler, so a Cutler-like deal would be giving the team a discount.

yup

and here is your impasse

The Franchise 05-06-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Then draft a QB at #23 and tell Smith to go kick rocks.

Discuss Thrower 05-06-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10605197)
There's zero positive out of that trade if Smith walks after year 2. The end result is still a total disaster of a trade, and two years of the latest attempt at a rebuild utterly wasted. Less bad than it could have been is not grounds for a pat on the back.

The rebuild was wasted as soon as Cassel was acquired in 2009. This regime has decided to try and win-now with what's left in the tank with Jamaal, Hali, DJ, Flowers and, dare I say, Bowe.

The right move was blowing it all up once Pioli was canned but the Hunt family weren't having any of that.

O.city 05-06-2014 12:32 PM

If Alex Smith is this perfect QB to run Andy Reid's system as we've been told, they should have no problem giving him a very lucrative contract.

So, someone is lying

O.city 05-06-2014 12:34 PM

It's the same thing as with Berry. If he's better than Cutler, and you view him as better, you pay him.

RealSNR 05-06-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

And if that's what they're doing, then Dorsey needs to let Smith walk if their camp doesn't come down from that offer.

It's a disastrously overinflated market for QBs, and Dorsey shouldn't cave in to an asshole like Condon that gets crap like Cutler $100 million deals.

BossChief 05-06-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 10605202)
i doubt clark is hot to give anynone a $100 mill contract...maybe he'd like the QB to win something first, you know to actually deserve it

i think we can abandon the idea, as well, that Smith is willing to play for less just because he's a swell guy

Clark has been vocal about wanting to get Alex Smith locked up.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Shortly after the season, Alex Smith did an interview where he talked about contract negotiations and how he would show how much of a team player he is with the contract he will sign.

Another thing we KNOW from last offseason is that Dorsey has a tendency to overpay players.

Pablo 05-06-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Wha????????

Blind trust for life!

It worked out so well with Pioli.

BossChief 05-06-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 10605205)
his comments are pr, imo...you hire Condon to get paid

Condon was his agent for his last contract...after he made the NFC championship game and almost went to the superbowl.

ToxSocks 05-06-2014 12:36 PM

Derek Carr reminds me of Alex Smith with a stronger arm....

Just Sayin'.

O.city 05-06-2014 12:36 PM

He's the guy to lead this franchise, until he starts asking to be paid like a guy who can lead a franchsie.

O.city 05-06-2014 12:36 PM

Carr has alot of the pocket tendencies his brother did, IE, he's pretty skidish in the pocket.

BigBeauford 05-06-2014 12:38 PM

This could work out perfectly. Draft his replacement, then let him play out his contract year. He will have all the incentive in the world to play his best ball at a discounted price for us for that season for his big contract he apparently wants.

Dave Lane 05-06-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10605231)
He's the guy to lead this franchise, until he starts asking to be paid like a guy who can lead a franchsie.

He's not the guy to lead this franchise. He's the placeholder till we find who is.

rico 05-06-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10605230)
Derek Carr reminds me of Alex Smith with a stronger arm....

Just Sayin'.

Dude is acrobatic too....he can freaking leap and flip.

Dave Lane 05-06-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 10605236)
This could work out perfectly. Draft his replacement, then let him play out his contract year. He will have all the incentive in the world to play his best ball at a discounted price for us for that season for his big contract he apparently wants.

And after Fisher gets him severely injured, his asking price will drop.

the Talking Can 05-06-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10605226)
Clark has been vocal about wanting to get Alex Smith locked up.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Shortly after the season, Alex Smith did an interview where he talked about contract negotiations and how he would show how much of a team player he is with the contract he will sign.

Another thing we KNOW from last offseason is that Dorsey has a tendency to overpay players.

it is interesting, because whatever you think of Smith are you going to give him $100 mill based off of one season as a Chief?

$100 mill for no playoff win?

even if you love the guy, the economics are sketchy...can you give a non-elite QB that money and build a championship team?

seems, right now, that you either get lucky with a cheap drafted QB (Wilson, Kaepernick, Flacco) which frees up money to build a complete team...or roll with an elite QB who can to some degree overcome the deficiencies their own contracts create (Manning, Brees)

guys who aren't elite but get big contracts are the worst of both worlds (Cutler, Flacco [he fits both categories pre- and post- contract])

SeeingRed 05-06-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10605211)
Then draft a QB at #23 and tell Smith to go kick rocks.

sounds good but it would surely be a downgrade. Dr. Alex Smith (see other Smith thread) http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283445

Dr Alex Smith has valuable NFL experience a rookie will not. :shake: Hopefully he compromises.