ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs ***The Official Chiefs OTA's Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283829)

Mr. Laz 05-29-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10658208)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Alex Smith had a couple of spot on passes to Bowe in contested coverage with Cooper blanketing him. Smith trust Bowe. Good sign. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Chiefs&amp;src=hash">#Chiefs</a></p>&mdash; Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jacobs71/statuses/472093180260020224">May 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>What I've noticed from this week is that Alex Smith trust his receivers. He is willing to throw in contested coverage. Accuracy great.</p>&mdash; Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jacobs71/statuses/472091546436005889">May 29, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Harris has consistently done a very nice job plucking the ball out of the air and getting downfield...</p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/statuses/472084135545012225">May 29, 2014</a></blockquote>

easier to trust your WRs when it's not a real game.

we'll see

saphojunkie 05-29-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10658423)

we'll see

It's the OTAs, dude. What did you expect when clicked on the OTA thread?

eDave 05-29-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10658417)
I like to imagine my Andy Reid as like a Mafia Don or some shit.

I love the guy.

eDave 05-29-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10658423)

we'll see

Great to hear non the less. It has to start somewhere.

planetdoc 05-29-2014 04:38 PM

Kansas City Chiefs Shake Up Offensive Line
by Ben Nielson

Day three of OTAs brought an interesting twist along the Kansas City Chiefs offensive line. According to Terez A. Paylor, rookie minicamp signee Ryan McKee took snaps at right tackle with the starters while Jeff Linkenbach jumped Rishaw Johnson and started at right guard.

There are a few things to consider here as it relates to the context of the situation. Eric Fisher is being held out of a lot of the contact portion of practice in order to let him recover from the two offseason surgeries he had this winter. He’s participating in “group initial stuff” according to Andy Reid but they are protecting his shoulder when it comes to the more physical parts of practice.

Donald Stephenson has been playing left tackle while Fisher is out which means the right tackle spot is open. What we appear to be seeing is a group of players getting reps in at right tackle to help filter out the competition for who will be the backup tackle. Today was McKee’s turn, apparently. What it does say is the Chiefs think highly enough of McKee to spend snaps on him with the first team. He’ll be a guy to watch at camp as a possible sleeper to make the roster.

Linkenbach getting snaps at right guard shouldn’t be a surprise either. The competition for who will be the starting right guard would seem to be down to Johnson, Linkenbach, and Zach Fulton. Fulton is a rookie who has been with the team for less than a month so it would make sense for Reid to give the two veteran guys the first few shots at making their case to be the starting guard.

One thing appears to be certain: The Chiefs think they have some quality depth on the offensive line to sift through.

Mr_Tomahawk 05-29-2014 05:07 PM

TJ Carpetner was on 810 this afternoon and the crew was talking about our QBs.

Kietzman said that we don't know what we had in Bray and that all we knew was that he was a big QB with a big arm.

TJ intervened and said, "well he looked real good out there today. His accuracy has improved a lot. Amazing what a year in the system can do for you."

:)

Mr_Tomahawk 05-29-2014 06:13 PM

@TJCarpenterWHB: @mr_tomahawk Bray and Daniel both looked very good. Right now Murray is a distant 4th. Interesting to see it progress through the summer.

BigBeauford 05-29-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10658559)
TJ Carpetner was on 810 this afternoon and the crew was talking about our QBs.

Kietzman said that we don't know what we had in Bray and that all we knew was that he was a big QB with a big arm.

TJ intervened and said, "well he looked real good out there today. His accuracy has improved a lot. Amazing what a year in the system can do for you."

:)

http://theophany.name/ocuk/ectoplasm.jpg

Tribal Warfare 05-29-2014 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10658729)
@TJCarpenterWHB: @mr_tomahawk Bray and Daniel both looked very good. Right now Murray is a distant 4th. Interesting to see it progress through the summer.

Daniel you are targeted for Termination

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1phpKQnJriE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

planetdoc 05-29-2014 06:40 PM

Andy Reid focused on players present for OTAs
by Herbie Teope
(highlights)

OTA observations:

• Wide receiver Dwayne Bowe very quietly strung together three days of solid practice. One of his highlight catches on Thursday was a leaping grab in front of free safety Husain Abdullah.

• Tight end Richard Gordon and Demetrius Harris turned in some nice catches. Harris, in particular, continues to look good and drew praise from Reid following practice.

“First of all,” Reid said, “he did a great job in the weight room. He and (strength and conditioning coach) Barry (Rubin) became one there. They joined hips there and started working that son-of-a-gun to where he felt strong and so far he’s been able to transfer that on the field which is a good thing.”

• Cornerback Marcus Cooper filled in for Brandon Flowers for a third straight day, with Chris Owens pulling slot duty.

• First-round pick, outside linebacker Dee Ford, saw some time with the first-team defense in Justin Houston’s normal spot during 11-on-11.

• Offensive tackle Ryan McKee, who signed Tuesday after trying out during the rookie minicamp, saw time with the first unit at right tackle. Jeff Linkenbach ran with first unit at right guard. The Chiefs appear to be evaluating options the last three days, as Rishaw Johnson and Linkenbach have played right guard with the first unit. Additionally, Otis Hudson and J’Marcus Webb have run with the first unit at right tackle.

• Running back Jamaal Charles appears to be in regular season form. During team drills, Charles caught a pass in the flat between safeties Sanders Commings and Husain Abdullah. He made one cut, split the defenders and took off down the field.

• Strong safety Daniels Sorensen, who had a strong rookie minicamp, continues to work mostly with a blend of the second- and third-team units.

• An interesting matchup presented itself during the 11-on-11 portion. Wide receiver Weston Dressler, who is listed at 5-foot-7, split wide against cornerback Sean Smith, who stands 6-foot-3. At the snap of the ball, Dressler appeared to pull away beyond 5 yards before Smith grabbed the jersey, which would’ve drawn a penalty flag in a real setting. Dressler later went against cornerback Ron Parker, who stands 6-0, on three straight plays. Parker pressed Dressler and covered him like a blanket, never allowing the shorter Dressler an opportunity to get by.

CoMoChief 05-29-2014 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 10658219)
Is Jenkins lining up across from Bowe or is it Avery?

shit is still shtty

planetdoc 05-30-2014 11:23 AM

What We Saw In This Week’s Chiefs OTAs
by Bob Gretz
(highlights)

A year ago, the Chiefs offense was learning how to walk in Andy Reid’s offense.

This week as the OTA practices started for the 2014 off-season, the offense was light years ahead of where it was a dozen months ago. They aren’t walking now, they are up and running and it showed as quarterback Alex Smith directed the offense in three practices.

In the 7-on-7 passing drill in Thursday’s practice, Smith had running back Jamaal Charles running down the left side of the field, with a defensive back trailing him. The quarterback saw the opening and threw the ball, although he put too much mustard on the throw and it was high and sailed well out of Charles’ reach.

Smith reacted like it was November and he just missed a potential touchdown play in the fourth quarter, stomping his foot and grabbing his helmet in both hands. A year ago, that type of play never had a chance of happening. But this week, Reid turned up the momentum on the offense with a little no-huddle action, and Smith was constantly completing throws to Charles and wide receiver Dwayne Bowe.

Bowe has caught everything thrown in his direction, whether short, long, intermediate, no matter the routes he has stuck out his hands and the ball has stuck. Plus, he’s shown his off-season conditioning work has been frequent and intense, as he’s run around in the heat without problem. It’s a good start for Bowe who needs a productive season if the Chiefs offense is going to do its part during the 2014 season.

It’s tough to evaluate the offensive or defensive linemen in these practices since there is little or no contact. The quarterbacks, receivers and players in coverage stand out. Along with Bowe, receivers that got open, ran good routes and caught the ball were Canadian Football League signee Weston Dressler, former college basketball player tight end Demetrius Harris and Junior Hemingway.

Watching Dressler in the passing game and it’s easy to see he’s played on the professional level. He does a great job of shielding defensive players away from the ball as it arrives for him to catch.

Harris was an oddity last year, signing as an undrafted college free agent after his basketball career ended at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Much like the offense, Harris has taken giant strides and showed that in his ability to catch just about every ball that was thrown to him, some with difficult grabs because of coverage. With last year’s third-round draft choice Travis Kelce still on the sidelines as he recovers from micro-fracture surgery on his knee, if Harris can continue to produce and improve, Kelce’s presence in the offense will not be as important.

On defense, first-round draft choice Dee Ford impressed everyone with his explosive potential as a pass rusher. Various offensive tackles tried to slow him down, with marginal success. Nose tackle Dontari Poe continues to be hard for blockers to handle, even in the slower pace of the OTAs. In the secondary, third-round draft choice Phillip Gaines has shown his athletic skills and has handled his role on the No. 2 defense with very few kinks.

OldSchool 05-30-2014 11:40 AM

Love the Harris news the best in all honesty. If he can continue his momentum through TC we might just have something at TE this year.

planetdoc 05-30-2014 11:42 AM

Chiefs’ Joe McKnight refocused with opportunity
by Herbie Teope
(highlights)

In three seasons with the Jets, McKnight used his 4.47 speed to total 76 kickoff returns for 2,205 yards (29 yards per return) and two touchdowns, which included a team-record 107-yard effort in 2011. He also had seven punt returns for 69 yards.

“I know that’s the main fact to make the 53-man roster is special teams first,” McKnight said. “They have Jamaal (Charles) now; he’s already proven himself. I’m just trying to prove myself, so start with special teams first. I’m trying to make my niche in the return game and all phases of the special teams. That’s my base first.”

Should the native of River Ridge, La., get to second base, McKnight would offer versatility and depth at running back behind Charles and Knile Davis.

Listed at 5-foot-11, 205 pounds, McKnight joins the Chiefs with 502 yards rushing on 112 carries, adding 177 yards receiving on 17 catches from his time with the Jets.

And he showed off his receiving skills on Thursday.

During the 11-on-11 portion of OTA team drills with the first-team unit, McKnight went in motion out of the backfield and took off down the right sideline at the snap before hauling in a deep pass from quarterback Alex Smith.

“He’s got good pass receiving ability,” Reid said. “He’s a good runner.”

Discuss Thrower 05-30-2014 11:45 AM

I'll be shocked if Dressler makes the roster. Doubly shocked if he and McKnight both make it.

Mr. Laz 05-30-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10660442)
Love the Harris news the best in all honesty. If he can continue his momentum through TC we might just have something at TE this year.

Demetrius Harris and Mike Catapano destined for the Chiefs' Fans HoF.

ChiefsCountry 05-30-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10660459)

:clap:

OldSchool 05-30-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10660459)

Nah, been looking for news on him since the end of the season and it's just really good to hear that he was able to put on some good weight and has improved a ton on the football field. If he can carry his momentum on through TC he might just make it onto the 53 and have a shot at being our next Tony G.

That's only if everything goes almost perfectly for him though as far as his continued growth and also health-wise. I'd love to have our own Jimmy Graham.

RealSNR 05-30-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10658813)

• An interesting matchup presented itself during the 11-on-11 portion. Wide receiver Weston Dressler, who is listed at 5-foot-7, split wide against cornerback Sean Smith, who stands 6-foot-3. At the snap of the ball, Dressler appeared to pull away beyond 5 yards before Smith grabbed the jersey, which would’ve drawn a penalty flag in a real setting. Dressler later went against cornerback Ron Parker, who stands 6-0, on three straight plays. Parker pressed Dressler and covered him like a blanket, never allowing the shorter Dressler an opportunity to get by.

Given his limited time as a dimeback last year and his excellent play against San Diego, Parker is a vastly underrated element to our secondary. If Cooper doesn't make the strides we expect him to make in training camp and preseason, I'd like to see Parker take over that role.

This is looking like it's not only going to be Flowers' last year as a Chief, but also Sean Smith's. Which... thank God for that.

OldSchool 05-30-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10660467)
Given his limited time as a dimeback last year and his excellent play against San Diego, Parker is a vastly underrated element to our secondary. If Cooper doesn't make the strides we expect him to make in training camp and preseason, I'd like to see Parker take over that role.

This is looking like it's not only going to be Flowers' last year as a Chief, but also Sean Smith's. Which... thank God for that.

Smith is definitely gone next year if he doesn't step up his game and play consistently at a high level for an entire season.

Mr_Tomahawk 05-30-2014 12:24 PM

I dont think Kelce makes the team....

saphojunkie 05-30-2014 12:28 PM

Kelce might never play another down in the NFL. Hopefully Harris can continue to develop into our version of Julius Thomas. I mean... it's not unthinkable. Dude has put on something like 40 pounds since last year.

I really think that just having some sense of continuity coming off a successful season instead of an abortion is going to make a huge impact.

Mr. Laz 05-30-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10660466)
Nah, been looking for news on him since the end of the season and it's just really good to hear that he was able to put on some good weight and has improved a ton on the football field. If he can carry his momentum on through TC he might just make it onto the 53 and have a shot at being our next Tony G.

That's only if everything goes almost perfectly for him though as far as his continued growth and also health-wise. I'd love to have our own Jimmy Graham.

I just think it's funny which players some fans cling to

Alex Smith is a worthless pile of shit
Demetrius Harris might just be the best TE is the league!

:shake:

RealSNR 05-30-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10660552)
I just think it's funny which players some fans cling to

Alex Smith is a worthless pile of shit
Demetrius Harris might just be the best TE is the league!

:shake:

I don't see many Alex haters simultaneously predict great things for Demetrius Harris or any other NFL longshot.

To be honest, I'm not seeing very many Alex haters period. We got some trolls, but that's about it.

Mr. Laz 05-30-2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10660557)
I don't see many Alex haters simultaneously predict great things for Demetrius Harris or any other NFL longshot.

To be honest, I'm not seeing very many Alex haters period. We got some trolls, but that's about it.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/pro...E283223_S4.JPG

:p

Halfcan 05-30-2014 01:06 PM

They need to pay Houston. He is making less than guys they are signing off the streets. When Thomas Gafford is making more-Houston has a right to hold out if that ends up being the case. Hopefully they will cough up some cash and keep him in Red for his career. BTW he looks bigger than he was last year and showing no effects from injury-per reports and video of him benching small cars.

-King- 05-30-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10660467)

Meh. Sean Smith was by far our best CB last year. Most if not all the deep balls that he gave up were Kendrick Lewis' fault IIRC whereas other corners legitimately got burnt when they gave up a big play.

-King- 05-30-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10660454)
I'll be shocked if Dressler makes the roster. Doubly shocked if he and McKnight both make it.

Dressler likely won't make it. McKnight has a good shot at making it at KR. Toub seems to like having a different player returning punts and kickoffs and I can see McKnight handling that. He and Davis will battle for the primary kick returner spot in preseason.

RealSNR 05-30-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10660590)

I know you're just giving me shit, but I'm kind of in an Alex hate mode right now with the contract stagnation. But again, that's about money. I believe Alex is good enough to lead a team to a Super Bowl, and not just Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson-style, either. I haven't had that much confidence in a KC QB since Green, and I CERTAINLY didn't believe that was the case under Cassel.

I do hope the team works out a reasonable deal to keep him for a few more years.

RealSNR 05-30-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10660542)
I dont think Kelce makes the team....

I don't know if I'd go that far. He might get put on the PUP list until Week 6 or whatever that date is, but he's not going to be flat out cut even if Demetrius Harris turns out to be Mr. Awesome Tight End.

He's getting hung up on his injury recovery. He's just the opposite of Adrian Peterson. Teams rarely ever get so impatient with 3rd round picks and injuries that they just let them go a year and a half after drafting them.

I mean, it took 3 years to finally flush Brokeaki, and I don't think one season-ender means Kelce is as bad as that.

In58men 05-31-2014 09:03 AM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/31/ydeva2uz.jpg

That #7 jersey is making me nauseous

thabear04 05-31-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10660551)
Kelce might never play another down in the NFL. Hopefully Harris can continue to develop into our version of Julius Thomas. I mean... it's not unthinkable. Dude has put on something like 40 pounds since last year.

I really think that just having some sense of continuity coming off a successful season instead of an abortion is going to make a huge impact.

Chiefs will put Kelce on IR if Harris continue to get better.

Dunerdr 05-31-2014 02:27 PM

I predict kelce is back and going late in preseason bumps McGrath off and takes another year to be of any value to the team. I think he'll be moeaki. Not in the sense that he's hurt but that he's got potential to be very good but only shows flashes of athleticism.

saphojunkie 06-02-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10658729)

Adam Teicher answered your question on ESPN.COM, FYI:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/adamteicher">@adamteicher</a> who looks better thus far probably fighting for the last QB spot, Bray or Daniel? <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23chiefsmail&amp;src=hash">#chiefsmail</a></p>&mdash; Josh (@mr_tomahawk) <a href="https://twitter.com/mr_tomahawk/statuses/471731987506413569">May 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

@adamteicher: It’s too early to be making that judgment between Tyler Bray and Chase Daniel. The backup QB race will play out over training camp and it could go a lot of ways. I don’t sense the Chiefs are ready to give up on Bray but I also don’t know that he’s ready to be a No. 2 quarterback. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Chiefs keep four quarterbacks if they can’t get Smith to agree to a contract extension. That way, the Chiefs would be in no position to get rid of a young quarterback they believe could someday develop into a productive player.

http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs

Mr_Tomahawk 06-02-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10665560)
Adam Teicher answered your question on ESPN.COM, FYI:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/adamteicher">@adamteicher</a> who looks better thus far probably fighting for the last QB spot, Bray or Daniel? <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23chiefsmail&amp;src=hash">#chiefsmail</a></p>&mdash; Josh (@mr_tomahawk) <a href="https://twitter.com/mr_tomahawk/statuses/471731987506413569">May 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

@adamteicher: It’s too early to be making that judgment between Tyler Bray and Chase Daniel. The backup QB race will play out over training camp and it could go a lot of ways. I don’t sense the Chiefs are ready to give up on Bray but I also don’t know that he’s ready to be a No. 2 quarterback. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Chiefs keep four quarterbacks if they can’t get Smith to agree to a contract extension. That way, the Chiefs would be in no position to get rid of a young quarterback they believe could someday develop into a productive player.

http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs

Thanks, I missed that.

ThaVirus 06-02-2014 12:10 PM

4 QBs? Kill me now.

RealSNR 06-02-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10665617)
4 QBs? Kill me now.

Yeah.

It's really not a hard decision. Cutting Murray and trying to practice squad him would be insanely idiotic and dumb. Bray's apparently doing fine, but there are questions about his ability to be the primary backup. Daniel is just... worthless. Overpaid, inexperienced, and honestly can't be that much better of an option if Alex goes down.

Coaches will always go "safe", even if safe isn't smart.

The Franchise 06-02-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10665617)
4 QBs? Kill me now.

This.

Dump Daniel. If Smith goes down....we're ****ed no matter who they put in there. Might as well get Bray and Murray the reps and save on some cap space.

saphojunkie 06-02-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10665634)
This.

Dump Daniel. If Smith goes down....we're ****ed no matter who they put in there. Might as well get Bray and Murray the reps and save on some cap space.

And a higher draft pick to compensate for a season down the toilet. Worst thing in sports, when your team remains competitive after there's no postseason hope. What's the ****ing point?

Titty Meat 06-02-2014 12:36 PM

4 QB's Omg we could have Dezmon Moses instead.

Dayze 06-02-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

This.

This.
Short of a team competing for a SB, no team in their right mind would pay Daniel that coin as a backup.

....of course, we are the Chiefs though. Defying logic since 1969

Discuss Thrower 06-02-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10665643)
This.
Short of a team competing for a SB, no team in their right mind would pay Daniel that coin as a backup.

....of course, we are the Chiefs though. Defying logic since 1969

Daniel earned his payday by coming within a shanked FG of being the first QB to win in San Diego since 2007.

Dayze 06-02-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10665650)
Daniel earned his payday by coming within a shanked FG of being the first QB to win in San Diego since 2007.

If Smith is here, and Daniel, we're morans as a franshise.

the should let him go somewhere to a team who has a dogshit QB as their starter to compete for the starting gig.

Dayze 06-02-2014 12:48 PM

and, for whatever reason I forgot, but if he's here then we're either at 4 QBS, or letting one of our potential backup QBs go. one being a draft pick. This team isn't competing for anything any time soon, so keep your young guys and let the high priced backup go.

as someone mentioned, if Smith goes down, we're doomed regardless.

Discuss Thrower 06-02-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10665654)
If Smith is here, and Daniel, we're morans as a franshise.

the should let him go somewhere to a team who has a dogshit QB as their starter to compete for the starting gig.

Not saying I like having him around as a backup. I think the whole San Diego game was an ultimate example of what happens when a coaching staff doesn't have adequate scouting to create a gameplan as well as motivate players not to slack off against backups.

KC should've lost that game by a huge margin, but whatever leaders the Chargers have failed big time and let their underlings sleep walk into the stadium.

Dayze 06-02-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10665666)
Not saying I like having him around as a backup. I think the whole San Diego game was an ultimate example of what happens when a coaching staff doesn't have adequate scouting to create a gameplan as well as motivate players not to slack off against backups.

KC should've lost that game by a huge margin, but whatever leaders the Chargers have failed big time and let their underlings sleep walk into the stadium.

yeah, my comment was more a random though by me rather than a bash etc.

-King- 06-02-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

This.

The SD game begs to differ. If Smith is out for a game or two, do you really trust Bray or Murray to put up enough points to give us a fighting chance? At this point, there's no reason to believe so. Daniel has shown that he knows the offense (something Bray is apparently struggling with) and can put up points even with backups around him. I trust him way more than the other two for a game or two.

Mr_Tomahawk 06-02-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10665694)
The SD game begs to differ. If Smith is out for a game or two, do you really trust Bray or Murray to put up enough points to give us a fighting chance? At this point, there's no reason to believe so. Daniel has shown that he knows the offense (something Bray is apparently struggling with) and can put up points even with backups around him. I trust him way more than the other two for a game or two.

First, Matt Cassel once had back-to-back 400 yard games in NE. Matt Flynn went into NE and won. AS someone else pointed out, SD had no film to go off when scouting the offense they were about to play. So I am not going to read too much into the SD game.

Second, that report of Bray having trouble grasping the offense is a load of shit. He was the only guy who was reporting this...and what was he basing this off of? ...OTA's hadnt even ****ing started yet when he wrote that piece of shit. Bray has looked as good as Daniel, if not better according to local media reports.

RealSNR 06-02-2014 01:23 PM

Tyler Palko almost beat the Steelers.

Crown his ass

-King- 06-02-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10665633)
Yeah.

It's really not a hard decision. Cutting Murray and trying to practice squad him would be insanely idiotic and dumb. Bray's apparently doing fine, but there are questions about his ability to be the primary backup. Daniel is just... worthless. Overpaid, inexperienced, and honestly can't be that much better of an option if Alex goes down.

Coaches will always go "safe", even if safe isn't smart.

Are people just blocking out the SD game or something? How is Daniel worthless? He had 300 combined yards that game. He turned chicken shit into chicken salad. And apparently Bray has issues with the pro-style offense so how is he doing fine?

And for a backup QB, I'll go with the safe option if the alternative is an undrafted QB who has issues with accuracy, decision making, and leadership. If Bray becomes a career backup like Daniel, it would be considered a success. I think people overlook that.

-King- 06-02-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10665707)

Crown his ass

Tyler Palko had 150 yards and 3 INTs that game. So... what exactly are you getting at?

Mr_Tomahawk 06-02-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10665709)
Are people just blocking out the SD game or something? How is Daniel worthless? He had 300 combined yards that game. He turned chicken shit into chicken salad. And apparently Bray has issues with the pro-style offense so how is he doing fine?

And for a backup QB, I'll go with the safe option if the alternative is an undrafted QB who has issues with accuracy, decision making, and leadership. If Bray becomes a career backup like Daniel, it would be considered a success. I think people overlook that.

:True Fan gif:

Mr_Tomahawk 06-02-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10665710)
Tyler Palko had 150 yards and 3 INTs that game. So... what exactly are you getting at?

$3,500,000.00

-King- 06-02-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10665701)
First, Matt Cassel once had back-to-back 400 yard games in NE. Matt Flynn went into NE and won. AS someone else pointed out, SD had no film to go off when scouting the offense they were about to play. So I am not going to read too much into the SD game.

Cassel played with the 2nd greatest WR ever. The best slot WR ever. The best coach ever. Flynn played with all the GB starters.

Meanwhile in the SD game, the only regular starter Daniel had was Stephenson. Other than that, he played with all backups. I can't dismiss that. And if the scouting report thing is true then every backup would have success when they're forced to start because opposing teams don't have game film. That's just a terrible excuse.

Quote:

Second, that report of Bray having trouble grasping the offense is a load of shit. He was the only guy who was reporting this...and what was he basing this off of? ...OTA's hadnt even ****ing started yet when he wrote that piece of shit. Bray has looked as good as Daniel, if not better according to local media reports.
He was basing it off last season. Bray had trouble picking up the system last year.

Discuss Thrower 06-02-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10665709)

The SD defense had no idea what Chase was going to do and the players didn't rise up thinking they could roll through a bunch of backups.

That game was a testament to the coaching staff ****ing up more than anything.

-King- 06-02-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10665711)
:True Fan gif:

ROFL Yes because when you're looking for a backup QBs, a risky guy who has a history of poor decision making and inconsistent accuracy is the perfect player to have.

Mr_Tomahawk 06-02-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10665713)
Cassel played with the 2nd greatest WR ever. The best slot WR ever. The best coach ever. Flynn played with all the GB starters.

Meanwhile in the SD game, the only regular starter Daniel had was Stephenson. Other than that, he played with all backups. I can't dismiss that. And if the scouting report thing is true then every backup would have success when they're forced to start because opposing teams don't have game film. That's just a terrible excuse.

He was basing it off last season. Bray had trouble picking up the system last year.

Last season....

Well good thing he is looking every bit as good as Daniel, at a much cheaper rate....according to reports.

Mr_Tomahawk 06-02-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10665715)
ROFL Yes because when you're looking for a backup QBs, a risky guy who has a history of poor decision making and inconsistent accuracy is the perfect player to have.

Again.

You need to update yourself with camp reports.

"It's amazing what a year in the system has done for him..." -TJ Carpetner

-King- 06-02-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10665717)
Last season....

Well good thing he is looking every bit as good as Daniel, at a much cheaper rate....according to reports.

According to OTA reports? Are you really basing all this on OTAs when pretty much every report is great on every player? From those same reports Dressler sounds great, but we know he'll likely be cut after training camp. Meanwhile Sean Payton and Andy Reid have chosen Daniel as their backup QBs for 6 years now. I think I'll trust their judgment on this.

-King- 06-02-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10665723)
Again.

You need to update yourself with camp reports.

"It's amazing what a year in the system has done for him..." -TJ Carpetner

Demetrius Harris is the next Jimmy Graham then if we're going off camp reports.

Mr_Tomahawk 06-02-2014 01:36 PM

Who are the top QB's in the league?

Who are their backups?

What are they making?

Yeah...what a bunch of dumbass organizations.

Mr_Tomahawk 06-02-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10665724)
According to OTA reports? Are you really basing all this on OTAs when pretty much every report is great on every player? From those same reports Dressler sounds great, but we know he'll likely be cut after training camp. Meanwhile Sean Payton and Andy Reid have chosen Daniel as their backup QBs for 6 years now. I think I'll trust their judgment on this.

You probably thought paying Cassel $62MM was a great idea, too...

Mr_Tomahawk 06-02-2014 01:40 PM

I'm still waiting to hear why paying our backup $3.5M to ride the bench is a good idea.

Everybody is doing it, right...?

RealSNR 06-02-2014 01:46 PM

If I have to pay $3.5 million for a backup, I want a Kyle Orton or Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Chase Daniel is just fine as a backup if I'm paying him what the Saints were paying him. Or if he has some legitimate games that he's started.

If Alex goes down with the Chiefs fighting for a couple of playoff spots this year, I'm not very optimistic that Daniel can replicate the San Diego game. Zero pressure out there. It was just like a preseason game for that dude.

-King- 06-02-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10665742)
I'm still waiting to hear why paying our backup $3.5M to ride the bench is a good idea.

Everybody is doing it, right...?

Who the **** cares what everybody is doing? We're not them.

-King- 06-02-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10665753)
If I have to pay $3.5 million for a backup, I want a Kyle Orton or Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Chase Daniel is just fine as a backup if I'm paying him what the Saints were paying him. Or if he has some legitimate games that he's started.

If Alex goes down with the Chiefs fighting for a couple of playoff spots this year, I'm not very optimistic that Daniel can replicate the San Diego game. Zero pressure out there. It was just like a preseason game for that dude.

Because Bray has shown he's good under pressure? He was terrible under pressure in Tennesee.

TEX 06-02-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10665707)

Crown his ass

No he didn't. The Chiefs ALMOST beat the Steelers BUT they had Tyler Palko playing QB...Palko was HORRIBLE, right down to the last interception that sealed it for the Steelers.

Mr_Tomahawk 06-02-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10665756)
Who the **** cares what everybody is doing? We're not them.

Who the **** advocates paying an average backup $3.5M? Yeah he better should have almost beat SD....he makes more than Russel Wilson!

Mr_Tomahawk 06-02-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10665759)
Because Bray has shown he's good under pressure? He was terrible under pressure in Tennesee.

And Tim Tebow was a ****ing Winner in college.

Who gives a flying **** what they did in College...Bray has done everything just as well as Daniel with the given opportunities at a quarter of the cost.

TEX 06-02-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10665753)

And you REALLY think Bray could???

-King- 06-02-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10665762)
Who the **** advocates paying an average backup $3.5M? Yeah he better should have almost beat SD....he makes more than Russel Wilson!

All of Russel Wilsons backups make more than him. Stupid point.

-King- 06-02-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10665766)
And Tim Tebow was a ****ing Winner in college.

Who gives a flying **** what they did in College...Bray has done everything just as well as Daniel with the given opportunities at a quarter of the cost.

:spock:

Mr_Tomahawk 06-02-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10665768)
All of Russel Wilsons backups make more than him. Stupid point.

Do his backups make $3.5M?

Mr_Tomahawk 06-02-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10665767)
And you REALLY think Bray could???

Going into that game, they had the same number of starts. It's not like Daniel had 8 starts under his belt going into that game.

So yes, I think he could...

TEX 06-02-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10665775)
Going into that game, they had the same number of starts. It's not like Daniel had 8 starts under his belt going into that game.

So yes, I think he could...

Well I don't. Daniel has / had experience from being in the league 6 years. THAT is HUGE. True, no starts / playing time, but he gained experience from being around the game at the NFL level. When it was his time, he answered the call very well. I wouldn't trust Tyler Bray in that same situation. I know he doesn't have the experience and I don't think he's got the smarts for it...

Mr_Tomahawk 06-02-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10665790)
Well I don't. Daniel has / had experience from being in the league 6 years. THAT is HUGE. True, no starts / playing time, but he gained experience from being around the game at the NFL level. When it was his time, he answered the call very well. I wouldn't trust Tyler Bray in that same situation. I know he doesn't have the experience and I don't think he's got the smarts for it...

I can't help that Booger is older and more experienced...the best apple to apples example I can give is when they both took snaps against GB in preseason last year.

They had the same preparation going into the game...one was an undrafted rookie who has trouble grasping the offense. The other had 5 years experience, a $3.5M contract, and is really really smart.

Below is from AP:

"Chase Daniel: 4-of-8 for 27 yards and 1 INT. Not his best performance. He was sacked twice. The offensive line struggled, yes, but so did he. Chase played the entire first quarter and the first few minutes of the second. Alex Smith has his limitations and Chase seems to have the same, but Alex has a better grasp of running the offense it seems.

Tyler Bray: 14-of-25 for 169 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT. He entered the game at the 11:36 mark of the second quarter and played the rest of the game. His big arm was evident as he went deep a few times, including a 43-yard touchdown to Josh Bellamy. He also showed some touch with an 8-yard touchdown pass to Junior Hemingway as the first half ended. Tyler Bray was the better quarterback on this night.
"

Now Bray may not be as good as Daniel as illustrated above...but he is cheaper, and has a higher ceiling IMO. Do I think Bray could have done well against SD if he would have had an entire week to prep for the game, also....yes.

Marcellus 06-02-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10665762)

Daniel is actually the 4th highest paid back up.

Matt Moore is making $4MM.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/top...-for-20132014/

-King- 06-02-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 10666014)
Daniel is actually the 4th highest paid back up.

Matt Moore is making $4MM.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/top...-for-20132014/

You're making that up man! No one pays their backup QB that much!!!!

jd1020 06-02-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10666050)
You're making that up man! No one pays their backup QB that much!!!!

Only one of the QBs on that list doesnt have significant playing time at starter.

Give ya 9 guesses which one it is.

Daniel became one of the top paid backup QBs while throwing 9 career passes.

-King- 06-02-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10666052)
Only one of the QBs on that list doesnt have significant playing time at starter.

Give ya 9 guesses which one it is.

Matt Hasselbeck!

Nailed it!