ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports **Official USA vs Germany World Cup Match Thread** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284630)

WilliamTheIrish 06-26-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10716717)
It's not the same. You still have to win to squeak into the playoffs. They won 1 out of 3 games. Thats a hard concept for Americans to grasp.

No it's not hard for Americans to grasp. Try to look at the group stage as a regular season of three games. Just like the NFL there is a myriad of tie breakers as regular season play ends. The major difference is that head to head isn't the main tie breaker.
In the next round it's "win or go home" so that should make it more American for you.

Pablo 06-26-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 10716732)
Gee, that never happens in the NFL. Nope. Never.

LMAO

Red Dawg 06-26-2014 12:14 PM

We are in baby! Better than being out. We live to fight another day.

alnorth 06-26-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 10716741)
No, their team is really good but it's still BELGIUM. You know how in America we make Polish jokes and in England they make fun of the Welsh? In Western Europe the jokes are about Belgians.

ahh, OK then. We don't have that cultural Belgium hangup though and most of us won't visit Europe within the next few months to be mocked.

So, I'll just look at this game as the USA being the underdogs against a good team.

Rausch 06-26-2014 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 10716742)
Don't worry, you won't miss anything.

Rausch 06-26-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 10716721)
Only people with minimal brain power fail to see how well the US did in the group stage. There is no such thing as backing in to the knockout round

This game was clearly never taken seriously by either team...

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 06-26-2014 12:18 PM

Go Algeria!

KC_Connection 06-26-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 10716741)
No, their team is really good but it's still BELGIUM. You know how in America we make Polish jokes and in England they make fun of the Welsh? In Western Europe the jokes are about Belgians.

On the same point, In Bruges is a hilarious movie.

KCCHIEFS27 06-26-2014 12:20 PM

Well..times get tougher now. Sucks that all 3 CONCACAF teams are in the same half of the bracket during the knockout round

alnorth 06-26-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10716752)

I'll give you the last 5 or 6 minutes or so, but for most of the game both teams were clearly trying to score.

At the very end when it was clear that a 0-1 loss would be enough, the USA's priority was then to focus on defense and make damned sure they didn't lose 0-2.

gblowfish 06-26-2014 12:33 PM

This is the FIFA equivalent to Succop missing that Field Goal against San Diego last year to put the Chargers in the playoffs and knock the Steelers out.

srvy 06-26-2014 12:33 PM

Well I tried to like soccer but its just to freaking boring. The pussies flop every time they are touched. They grab arm or leg like its broken in half and hanging by the skin.

Looked like a group of older kids playing keep away from the short bus kids today. I brought my tablet to work as other did too and I was about to sign out to the field. Figured id spit on a walk or something and watch and see how long before it evaporates.

Anyway got back to office logged back to espn and seen the happiest bunch of USA player. I thought they had rallied and won. Then they flash 1-0 finale for Germany. WTF you celebrate and smile and whoop it up after the ball was in your end it seemed an eternity? Later I see they lost yet advance huhhhhhhhhhhh. This looks like grade school where the schools teach everyone's a winner they're are no losers. Then I see the went 1-3 in that round. Yes I don't like soccer and never will.

Pablo 06-26-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10716780)
Well I tried to like soccer but its just to freaking boring. The pussies flop every time they are touched. They grab arm or leg like its broken in half and hanging by the skin.

Looked like a group of older kids playing keep away from the short bus kids today. I brought my tablet to work as other did too and I was about to sign out to the field. Figured id spit on a walk or something and witch and see how long before it evaporates.

Anyway got back to office logged back to espn and seen the happiest bunch of USA player. I thought they had rallied and won. Then they flash 1-0 finale for Germany. WTF you calibrate and smile and whoop it up after the ball was in your end it seemed an eternity? Later I see they lost yet advance huhhhhhhhhhhh. This looks like grade school where the schools teach everyone's a winner they're are no losers. Then I see the went 1-3 in that round. Yes I dot like soccer and never will.

Your opinion is important!

Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

LMAO

TambaBerry 06-26-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Looked like a group of older kids playing keep away from the short bus kids today. I brought my tablet to work as other did too and I was about to sign out to the field. Figured id spit on a walk or something and watch and see how long before it evaporates.

Anyway got back to office logged back to espn and seen the happiest bunch of USA player. I thought they had rallied and won. Then they flash 1-0 finale for Germany. WTF you celebrate and smile and whoop it up after the ball was in your end it seemed an eternity? Later I see they lost yet advance huhhhhhhhhhhh. This looks like grade school where the schools teach everyone's a winner they're are no losers. Then I see the went 1-3 in that round. Yes I don't like soccer and never will.

Whole lot of dumb in this post

OnTheWarpath15 06-26-2014 12:40 PM

WTF is with Bradley this tournament?

The ball hits his foot and he acts as if it's a ****ing grenade.

Glad they're moving on, but they've got to clean up the turnovers going forward.

the Talking Can 06-26-2014 12:54 PM

made it to the next round without jozy

nothing but joy...we can play with belgium

srvy 06-26-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10716782)
Your opinion is important!

Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

LMAO

Mine is of no consequence but Americans as a whole will not get into this over baseball, football and basketball. Your soccer moms and dads will watch a little. But the people you see now are bandwagoneers jumping on for lack of anything else to do.

Just more attempts at the pussification of American kids. :)

ToxSocks 06-26-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Lots of ignorance in this post.

You don't like the sport? Ok fine. I hate baseball. Every sport isn't for everyone.

With that said, you don't know a damn thing about the sport at all, which is clearly evident in your post.

keg in kc 06-26-2014 01:18 PM

Nice. Would've been nicer if they hadn't blown the previous game's lead, but still. Who even had them into the round of 16?

Dragonocho 06-26-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Has anyone disliked soccer and not told everyone about it? It's the internet version of flopping.

OnTheWarpath15 06-26-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10716823)
Nice. Would've been nicer if they hadn't blown the previous game's lead, but still. Who even had them into the round of 16?

Somewhere around 35% pre-tourney to advance out of group, so I'm betting not many - myself included.

SPATCH 06-26-2014 01:23 PM

Is Jozy gonna be back or what?!!!!

This team can do some damage when fully rested with Jozy up top.

alnorth 06-26-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

First of all, these guys don't wear pads like in the NFL. Contact can actually hurt, which you aren't used to since it doesn't really happen much in US sports without pads.

Second, the group stage is like the regular season. We pretty much understand that you can lose the last game and still make it to the playoffs, and if its a week 17 game where some team lost to let you clinch, your team is going to be pretty happy even if they lose the now-meaningless week 17 game.

This was a group where the USA was a heavy underdog and it would have surprised no one if they lost all 3 matches. If you are not impressed by the USA making it out of the group of death, then you are stupid.

TEX 06-26-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10716819)
Lots of ignorance in this post.

You don't like the sport? Ok fine. I hate baseball. Every sport isn't for everyone.

With that said, you don't know a damn thing about the sport at all, which is clearly evident in your post.

So what. He can still not like it without knowing a damn thing about it...

Eleazar 06-26-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10716752)

Wow, I'm not sure if you watched us today or not. Both teams were playing hard throughout. the USA had scoring chances even in the last few minutes. And if it wasn't the play you were watching, both sides made substitutions that indicated they were looking to win.

Eleazar 06-26-2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Don't worry, The Decision 2 is just around the corner for you "soccer is boring" types.

ToxSocks 06-26-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10716852)

And that's fine. But don't come here telling my why something sucks when you have no idea what you're talking about.

That's like someone telling you that your Mustang is slow and shitty because it has a 4 cyl engine.

keg in kc 06-26-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10716826)
Somewhere around 35% pre-tourney to advance out of group, so I'm betting not many - myself included.

Hell, I think most people expected three losses. 1-1-1 seems great in retrospect.

|Zach| 06-26-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10716796)
Mine is of no consequence but Americans as a whole will not get into this over baseball, football and basketball. Your soccer moms and dads will watch a little. But the people you see now are bandwagoneers jumping on for lack of anything else to do.

Hot sports takes.

|Zach| 06-26-2014 01:48 PM

Very proud of that team...especially that defense.

Bearcat 06-26-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10716796)

I doubt soccer cares much, and if I was soccer, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be like the NFL or NBA. Bandwagon or not, the support has been pretty nuts... don't see that kind of excitement at P&L on Sunday afternoons.

Eleazar 06-26-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10716871)
Hell, I think most people expected three losses. 1-1-1 seems great in retrospect.

Some wondered if we were going to score a goal at the World Cup or not. Germany and Portugal, two probably top five teams in the world, and Ghana who has had our number for so long?

I don't think anyone really expected them to advance.

ToxSocks 06-26-2014 02:09 PM

I guess im one of the few that actually expected the US to advance.

OldSchool 06-26-2014 02:10 PM

So it's us and Germany who are through then? Awesome.

alnorth 06-26-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10716852)

If your football team is 13-2, and celebrating after the last regular season game which they lost to go to 13-3, it would be like someone who doesn't know a damned thing about the NFL going "what? Why are they happy, they lost! That is really dumb, the NFL is dumb, I don't get it." We'd all be tearing that dumbass apart too.

If you are confused about why people are making a big deal about the USA advancing out of the group of death, and celebrating even though they narrowly lost to Germany, then perhaps you should google the topic and read a few stories before spouting off.

Fansy the Famous Bard 06-26-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10716929)
If your football team is 13-2, and celebrating after the last regular season which they lost to go to 13-3, it would be like someone who doesn't know a damned thing about the NFL going "what? Why are they happy, they lost! That is really dumb, the NFL is dumb, I don't get it." We'd all be tearing that dumbass apart too.

If you are confused about why people are making a big deal about the USA advancing even though they narrowly lost to Germany, then perhaps you should google the topic and read a few stories before spouting off.

Or they could just drink anti-freeze and make the world a better place.

Stanley Nickels 06-26-2014 02:22 PM

Looks like we might've done ourselves a favor today with the way the brackets are shaping up for the single-elimination phase...
Here's what Germany's bracket looks like:

Brazil
Chile

Colombia
Uruguay

France
Nigeria

Germany
(Russia/Algeria)

-------------------------------------------
And here's what our side of the bracket looks like:

Netherlands
Mexico

Costa Rica
Greece

Argentina
Switzerland

Belgium
USA
------------------------------

I've got to say, I like our side more.

Going forward:
Belgium has for the past couple years been considered a "sleeping giant", and there's no denying that there is immense, young talent on that team. However, their play in the World Cup to this point suggests that the Giant may not yet have awoken. We can absolutely play with the Belgians, but will need a tremendous improvement from Michael Bradley to combat the Belgian midfield. If we make it past...

...sure, Argentina's another mammoth task, but they too have struggled to live up to their expectations thus far. A near-draw with Bosnia Herzegovina (who are no schlubs, mind you), and a last-minute bailout from Messi against Iran, suggest that this team is beatable. Messi will be Messi, and there's nothing you can do about it, but the real struggle will be whether Beasley can keep up with DiMaria for 90', because he's a terror on wheels, almost literally, with tremendous pace and ball control. If we get here, I don't expect us to beat Argentina, but IF WE DID...

...we face my odds-on favorite to win the WC, the Netherlands. I really can't come up with any convincing reasons why we could beat them. Even if you drop 5 defenders so Besler and Gonzalez can mark Robben and van Persie, I just don't see us having enough to keep possession for any length of time. Making it this far, though, would be the biggest accomplishment in US Soccer history. It's nice to dream, I guess.

Stanley Nickels 06-26-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

If your football team is 13-2, and celebrating after the last regular season game which they lost to go to 13-3, it would be like someone who doesn't know a damned thing about the NFL going "what? Why are they happy, they lost! That is really dumb, the NFL is dumb, I don't get it." We'd all be tearing that dumbass apart too.

If you are confused about why people are making a big deal about the USA advancing out of the group of death, and celebrating even though they narrowly lost to Germany, then perhaps you should google the topic and read a few stories before spouting off.

Right. Add into your scenario that there was another ongoing game which another team in your division lost, which sent you to the playoffs. You'd still celebrate a playoff run, even after losing.

mr. tegu 06-26-2014 02:24 PM

In other news the Watch ESPN app blows. I just went back to my regular and reliable source of vipbox.

Prison Bitch 06-26-2014 02:25 PM

So on the day Ann Coulter rips soccer a new one, the US team gets completely embarrassed by Germany. 37% time of possession, 1 shot on goal in 92 minutes of nothingness.

She was obv wrong.

ToxSocks 06-26-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10716950)
So on the day Ann Coulter rips soccer a new one, the US team gets completely embarrassed by Germany. 37% time of possession, 1 shot on goal in 92 minutes of nothingness.

She was obv wrong.

Go away. Another topic that you pretend to know something about.

Stanley Nickels 06-26-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10716948)
In other news the Watch ESPN app blows. I just went back to my regular and reliable source of vipbox.

You're not lying. That service would improve dramatically with the simple ability to choose your video quality, even if it means slight stutters or "buffer breaks". I have no desire to stream a match if its unwatchable due to the "auto-quality" assigned by their app.

Stanley Nickels 06-26-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

She was obv wrong.

Do you like Ann Coulter?

Prison Bitch 06-26-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 10716957)
Do you like Ann Coulter?

I'd say love is the operative word there.

I do like the World Cup but that game today was horrendous to watch and anyone saying otherwise is full of it. Germany's keeper made....zero saves today. How can you spend 92 min of soccer without the keeper making ONE save? Nobody can explain that.

Baby Lee 06-26-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10716967)
I'd say love is the operative word there.

I do like the World Cup but that game today was horrendous to watch and anyone saying otherwise is full of it. Germany's keeper made....zero saves today. How can you spend 92 min of soccer without the keeper making ONE save? Nobody can explain that.

Missing our top striker to injury against the best defense and best possession team in the world. Explanation complete.

You take is like saying there is no explanation for why Peytie-pie was shut down in the SB. Sure there is, you just don't understand the game enough to see it.

Baby Lee 06-26-2014 03:16 PM

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...1649287715.jpg

OldSchool 06-26-2014 03:20 PM

I just hope that Altidore can come back healthy.

Eleazar 06-26-2014 03:28 PM

Soccer haters are like vegans, they can't resist boring everyone by telling them all about it at every opportunity.

GloryDayz 06-26-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonocho (Post 10716825)
Has anyone disliked soccer and not told everyone about it? It's the internet version of flopping.

This.... So many folks thinking not liking soccer will make people think they're tough... Telling people you hate soccer is just pretty gay...

JMO

GloryDayz 06-26-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

She was obv wrong.

With our closets thing to Renaldo out, I'm sure it put a HUGE damper on the offense and the number of real attempts we'd get for shots on goal. But I'm still thinking that our offense is down more than one letter grade from where ever they started.

OldSchool 06-26-2014 03:41 PM

I don't hate playing soccer, I just don't like watching it.

WilliamTheIrish 06-26-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

incredibly dull and boring post at needn't be quoted.

Do I get a 64 pack of Crayolas with the sharpener in the back for reading that post?

DaFace 06-26-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonocho (Post 10716825)

Actually, given that fans are a relatively small percentage of the general population...yes. Those who bitch about it are a pretty tiny segment.

The problem, as I see it, is that discussions about whether Sport X is any good or not are usually a lot like political discussions. There's really not much discussion about what can be improved so much as there's one side bitching and the other side telling them they're stupid. It happens with pretty much every sport in this country aside from football. (And even then, it still happens on a small scale.)

Titty Meat 06-26-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

This post is dishonest. Had Ghana scored a few more goals the US wouldnt have advanced. Theyve won 1 world cup game the last 3 world cups.

Fansy the Famous Bard 06-26-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10717184)
This post is dishonest. Had Ghana scored a few more goals the US wouldnt have advanced. Theyve won 1 world cup game the last 3 world cups.

Now who's being dishonest?

Eleazar 06-26-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10717184)

No. Since the 2002 World Cup the United States is 3-5-5.

Only in 2006 did they not advance past the group stage. In 2002, they reached the quarterfinals.

Titty Meat 06-26-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 10717198)
Now who's being dishonest?

2 wins. Powerhouse.

SPATCH 06-26-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10717218)
2 wins. Powerhouse.

We are most certainly not a powerhouse...... yet.

Mizzou_8541 06-26-2014 05:11 PM

This is awesome. I'm a new fan to soccer but I feel like this is the best team we've ever fielded. When you consider that we haven't yet clicked as a team, without one of our (supposedly) best goal scorers, and in the group of death, I'm thrilled with the results so far.

notorious 06-26-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Maybe 6-5-5 after getting shut out by the Broncos in the final game yet still making the playoffs.

Pasta Little Brioni 06-26-2014 05:24 PM

Classic notorious ROFL

SPATCH 06-26-2014 05:25 PM

We've moved through the group stage in 3 of 4 cups. The year we didn't make it out (2006) we were playing in a group of death, as well. AND, we were the only team in that tournament that didn't lose to Italy... we tied them in the group stage.

We've come a long way since 1990, and this train ain't slowin' down.

#BEATBELGIUM

Setsuna 06-26-2014 06:21 PM

It's so sad watching you all cling on to hopeless hopes.

George Liquor 06-26-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 10717437)

You're on a Chiefs board buddy. Speak for yourself.

notorious 06-26-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 10717448)
You're on a Chiefs board buddy. Speak for yourself.

Sigh.

http://www.wendyswizardofoz.com/hang2.gif

alnorth 06-26-2014 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 10717437)

We're not expecting to win the world cup, you dolt.

WhawhaWhat 06-26-2014 08:04 PM

The US team's effort today against Germany...

http://i.imgur.com/u55JHIn.gif

stolen from Reddit.

TambaBerry 06-26-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10717673)
The US team's effort today against Germany...

http://i.imgur.com/u55JHIn.gif

stolen from Reddit.

This is so dumb, reverse what happened. Say we lost the first game, tied the second, won the third and got in. Everyone would be like holy shit look at this we played are way in.

DaFace 06-26-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingleberry (Post 10717715)
This is so dumb, reverse what happened. Say we lost the first game, tied the second, won the third and got in. Everyone would be like holy shit look at this we played are way in.

I take it you were a big fan of the 2013 Chiefs.

aturnis 06-26-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10716717)
It's not the same. You still have to win to squeak into the playoffs. They won 1 out of 3 games. Thats a hard concept for Americans to grasp.

7-9 can get you into the playoffs in the NFL...

notorious 06-26-2014 08:36 PM

In America we are a win/lose society.

Playing to tie/lose and still moving on is not in our DNA.

TambaBerry 06-26-2014 08:45 PM

Then don't watch it and don't come in here and bitch about it.

aturnis 06-26-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10717736)
In America we are a win/lose society.

Playing to tie/lose and still moving on is not in our DNA.

NFL teams lose their final game game/games of the season all the time and advance to the playoffs.

You guys griping are absolutely ****ing reeruned.

GloryDayz 06-26-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10717767)
NFL teams lose their final game game/games of the season all the time and advance to the playoffs.

Perhaps it was out first loss after those last regular season games that's of gravest concern to many.

notorious 06-26-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10717767)

Defensive, are we?

I'm not griping or ripping soccer.

It's a fact. It's hard for Americans to grasp a tie when it comes to sports.

aturnis 06-26-2014 09:18 PM

Playing with the best team in the world while having 7 MLS players starting is a big deal. We were basically daring them to try and score the entire game.

On top of that, the German team has a lot of continuity as many of them have been playing together for some time. Our squad, not so much. Shit, I feel like the only real time tested continuity we had on the pitch today was Bradley and Dempsey. Maybe Jones in there too.

All this without Jozy, and having to change our team identity after just minutes into the first game. I'm extremely proud of this team. Jurgen has done a great job.

alnorth 06-26-2014 09:19 PM

According to 538, our odds of winning the world cup have improved from 0.4% before group play to about 1.2% now. Our odds of beating Belgium is about 41.6%.

alnorth 06-26-2014 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10717807)
Defensive, are we?

I'm not griping or ripping soccer.

It's a fact. It's hard for Americans to grasp a tie when it comes to sports.

There are no ties when it counts: the knockout stage.

Group play is just the world cup equivalent of the regular season, its not that damned complicated.

TambaBerry 06-26-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10717820)
There are no ties when it counts: the knockout stage.

Group play is just the world cup equivalent of the regular season, its not that damned complicated.

Apparently it is for soccer haters.

TambaBerry 06-26-2014 09:22 PM

I mean it's not like you can't tie in the nfl, oh wait