ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink The Great Whisky (Whiskey) Thread! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=286615)

Bewbies 12-25-2015 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11975281)
Not a whisky/scotch guy myself, cant stand it... beers and clears only.

Do you wear skirts when you go out too?

Bewbies 12-25-2015 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Li'l Smokey (Post 11975402)
Hi. My name is L'll Smokey and I've never really tried out much alcohol before. Would whisky be a good choice for a n00b?

Read through this thread, lots of good stuff in here.

Then just try a lot of different stuff. You'll find what you like and hate pretty quickly.

Miles 12-26-2015 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 11972876)
No, but hella coincidence here. I'd never heard of Balcones until last week when someone mentioned it at a Christmas party. I'm going to get some very soon and will report back.

I'm more of a scotch or burbon whiskey drinker but have heard a lot of interesting things about Balcones. The single malt sounds really intersting. Please report back if you find some.

Miles 12-26-2015 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 11972882)
So for what it's worth, I like Hennessy quite a bit also. It's my favorite cognac. I haven't tried that many, and don't know that much about the whole VS, VSOP and that stuff. I'm mostly into scotch and other whiskeys. The only other cognac I know I've tried off the top of my head is Remy Martin, which I did not care for.

As someone else mentioned, cognac is grape-based, thereby eliminating it from being a whiskey. Whiskeys by definition are a grain-based alcohol.

Remy Martin 1738 is a really good cognac that isn't super expensive. Cognac in general is really great after you have been drinking some decent red wine.

dlphg9 12-26-2015 06:54 PM

Just got some Four Roses Single Barrel. Can't wait to crack her open

Indian Chief 12-26-2015 09:24 PM

Angels Envy > Four Roses > Eagle Rare is how I felt about those 3 in particular

Ming the Merciless 12-26-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11975451)
Got a bottle of macallan 25 in my stocking. Guess I was a good boy

Jealous!

How was it??

Prison Bitch 12-26-2015 10:12 PM

Took me 20yrs of drinking to get to Whiskey. So it's not an easy leap for many. In fact I rarely drank much beer or wine as it was, and little alcohol.

O.city 12-26-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11976593)
Jealous!

How was it??

Haven't got to open it yet.

dlphg9 12-27-2015 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 11976582)
Angels Envy > Four Roses > Eagle Rare is how I felt about those 3 in particular

I loved Angels Envy

penguinz 12-27-2015 10:28 AM

If you did not know Angels Envy was recently purchased by Bacardi.

Ming the Merciless 11-03-2016 02:05 PM

Had some middleton very rare for the 3rd time ever...

Holy shit...

I think it is the best whisky possibly on earth....I mean it is a blend its not single malt but it is masterful. I'd imagine its about 20-25$ a glass but if you are celebrating or have a chance to try it it is simply amazing. Ive some some great whisky and it is on par or better than anything ive ever had....I cant remember if I posted this the last time I had a glass....but HOLY shit.

Its like a really great speyside scotch (think glenlivet 21) but even more balanced and smooth.....

https://www.prestigedrinks.com/media...1008-1_2_2.jpg

Amnorix 11-03-2016 02:09 PM

Recently tried Highland Park and REALLY like it. I can't stand the upper end of the smoky range -- the Lavagulins (sp?) and Laphroaigs (sp again?), but Highland Park had just enough of it to make it more interesting.

Pretty much a new favorite of mine.

Never did get that Balcones. Will try to get it for xmas!

Ming the Merciless 11-03-2016 02:11 PM

Another thing I have been meaning to post is this Dewars 'Highlander Honey'

If you mix like 50/50 Highlander honey and your lemon/lime drink (7up) of choice....over ice....or maybe just a SPLASH of the 7up......and let the ice melt a little...Damn....its pretty tasty on the cheap end.

http://gearpatrol.com/wp-content/upl...-Lead-Full.jpg

O.city 11-03-2016 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 12527075)
Recently tried Highland Park and REALLY like it. I can't stand the upper end of the smoky range -- the Lavagulins (sp?) and Laphroaigs (sp again?), but Highland Park had just enough of it to make it more interesting.

Pretty much a new favorite of mine.

Never did get that Balcones. Will try to get it for xmas!

I'm a big fan of highland park.

I've been on a glenmorangie kick lately though

DJ's left nut 11-03-2016 02:36 PM

Glenlivet Nadurra 16 yr is the smoothest scotch I've ever had; not even really a close second. That said, it's almost too smooth. I used to like it a great deal but now I prefer a little more bite.

I have a bottle of Oban 14 that I enjoy as well as some Cardhu that is a little more peaty than the Oban. As a day to day drinker I like my simple old Glenfiddich 12 but I had a bottle of 18 that I really thought was outstanding.

I have a couple of islay scotches that I break out when I'm in the mood; a Laphroaig 15 yr that's discontinued and was on a limited run when I got it so I have to definitely be in the mood for it (I believe it's their 200th anniversary bottle). And an Ardbeg corryvreckan that makes my entire house smell like a campfire the moment I open it so it doesn't get a lot of run but I'm always glad I have it when it does.

Bottom line is that I was broken in on single malts and fairly decent ones so I've never felt the need to go below that. I've had a couple of shitty scotches on airplanes but otherwise I've kinda become Robert Redford's character from Spy Game: "Scotch...never less than 12 years old".

Any other whiskey's gonna be too sweet, too shitty or just useful for mixing when I feel like barbecuing.

Hydrae 11-03-2016 04:52 PM

Seen on a reader board of a small restaurant in town:

Hillary or Trump?
Whiskey!
Whiskey is the best!
Vote for Jack!

ROFL

KCTitus 11-05-2016 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 11868681)
oh...and not to derail the thread...

Anything from Buffalo Trace...Pappy, Eagle, Buffalo Trace...

It only took a year, but I was finally able to score a couple of bottles of Buffalo Trace...effing ABC control...but my wonderful wife found a few bottles in our local ABC and bought them up...Ive enjoyed some this evening.

O.city 11-05-2016 11:58 PM

Had some glenmorangie oak tonight I think. SMooth. I'M still a big Macallan guy.

My dad's boss has a rare ass 65 year old bottle. It's like 60 k or something crazy, he's wanting to open on the Christmas party this year. Should I ok that?

Ming the Merciless 03-02-2021 03:51 PM

Added a section on Japanese whisky. I had some the other day, not too shabby actually....I'll try to add more. Sorry I let this thread go dead...I have actually been on a huge whisky kick lately and have some more things to add soon.

Here is one of the most recent things I have been drinking:

https://img.thewhiskyexchange.com/900/irish_tee1.jpg

If you havent had it, Teeling is VERY good for the price. Ive been able to get it around 30-40$ which

isnt all that much more than like Jameson. Ive been enjoying it on the rocks or with a little bitters or as an old fashioned or even with a splash of gingerale

crispystl 03-02-2021 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 15569461)
Added a section on Japanese whisky. I had some the other day, not too shabby actually....I'll try to add more. Sorry I let this thread go dead...I have actually been on a huge whisky kick lately and have some more things to add soon.

If you havent had it, Teeling is VERY good for the price. Ive been able to get it around 30-40$ which

isnt all that much more than like Jameson. Ive been enjoying it on the rocks or with a little bitters or as an old fashioned or even with a splash of gingerale

Yeah I picked up a bottle of this and I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality vs the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ming the Merciless 03-02-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl (Post 15569814)
Yeah I picked up a bottle of this and I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality vs the price.

Yeah man. Same here. I feel like its way better than Jameson and on par
with even some 12 year single malt scotches like Glenlivet 12. I've gotten
it on sale for less than the Glenlivet 12..and honestly it it almost as good as glenlivet 12...

phisherman 03-02-2021 10:11 PM

Enjoying a Nikka Whisky from the Barrel tonight. Freakin' delicious.

crispystl 03-03-2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 15569839)
Yeah man. Same here. I feel like its way better than Jameson and on par
with even some 12 year single malt scotches like Glenlivet 12. I've gotten
it on sale for less than the Glenlivet 12..and honestly it it almost as good as glenlivet 12...

It's little higher proof than Jameson too.
If you like Glenlivet you should try Glenfiddich..it's about the same price but better. It's amazing actually.

Indian Chief 03-03-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 15569936)
Enjoying a Nikka Whisky from the Barrel tonight. Freakin' delicious.

Yeah, that's a staple for me. One of the best Japanese whiskeys I've had.

phisherman 03-03-2021 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 15570411)
Yeah, that's a staple for me. One of the best Japanese whiskeys I've had.

It's probably the best blended whisky I've ever had. It has lots of flavor and complexity, takes water very well and comes at a nice, high ABV. Plus it's got some Ben Nevis malt in it and it gives the whisky that industrial, oily funk that usually comes from Campbeltown single malts like Springbank and Kilkerran. I never imagined thinking that a weird, engine shop type of vibe would be a desirable thing in a whisky but damned if it doesn't really work.

OKchiefs 03-03-2021 07:42 PM

Apparently Japan has finally laid out some guidelines for what whiskeys can be labeled as Japanese whiskey. I don’t think it’s required by law yet, but i’ve read the larger distilleries like Nikka have agreed to the rules. I think Nikka from the barrel is one of the ones that is sourced so won’t be listed as a true Japanese whiskey, but it’s still damn good either way.

phisherman 03-03-2021 07:48 PM

I had seen that too. Word is a few distilleries weren't happy. I never knew that so many of them apparently were blending in non-Japanese whisky except for Nikka which was using Ben Nevis.

OKchiefs 03-03-2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 15571113)
I had seen that too. Word is a few distilleries weren't happy. I never knew that so many of them apparently were blending in non-Japanese whisky except for Nikka which was using Ben Nevis.

I think the demand is just so high and it just takes so long to ramp up production that they had no choice.

phisherman 03-03-2021 08:29 PM

Very similar to what the bourbon industry went through just a couple years ago.

Hoover 03-03-2021 08:46 PM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAN

Ming the Merciless 03-03-2021 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl (Post 15570210)
It's little higher proof than Jameson too.
If you like Glenlivet you should try Glenfiddich..it's about the same price but better. It's amazing actually.

I completely 100% agree. my go-to / daily driver / everything whisky is glenfiddich 12.

for the price , its hard to beat. thats why I was pretty surprised how much I enjoyed teeling

Lilmrp117 03-03-2021 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 15569461)

If you like the small batch, you should try he Teeling single malt. It's much better, but he again it's more expensive, around $55 my area.

https://static.whiskybase.com/storag.../92888-big.jpg

Ming the Merciless 03-03-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilmrp117 (Post 15571196)
If you like the small batch, you should try he Teeling single malt. It's much better, but he again it's more expensive, around $55 my area.

awesome! you know...after drinking the small batch for about 30ish$ , I think I just might have to pony up 55$ for that. I'll have to see if I've got access to that at my local shoppe. thanks for the idea. I deserve a treat!

Lilmrp117 03-03-2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 15571204)
awesome! you know...after drinking the small batch for about 30ish$ , I think I just might have to pony up 55$ for that. I'll have to see if I've got access to that at my local shoppe. thanks for the idea. I deserve a treat!

I received a Teeling tasting set for Christmas. It has single grain, small batch and single malt so I tasted them all side by side. Single malt was my favorite one by far. Small batch is good though.

eDave 03-04-2021 12:21 PM

US-UK trade truce means cheaper whisky for Americans

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/intl_...uce/index.html

Mahomes_Is_God 03-04-2021 02:09 PM

Black Velvet is all I can afford to drink. I actually prefer it to some of the more expensive ones like Crown Royal and Makers Mark. Jack Daniels is probably my favorite.

phisherman 03-04-2021 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15571780)
US-UK trade truce means cheaper whisky for Americans

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/intl_...uce/index.html

I read that this morning too. I'm not sure how much single malt prices will come back down, at least in the foreseeable future, but maybe it will stem the uptick in prices of the last few years.

scho63 03-04-2021 03:02 PM

I got hooked on Oban 14 when it was $65 a bottle. Now it's $100. A little too rich for my blood.

Marcellus 03-04-2021 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 15572122)
I got hooked on Oban 14 when it was $65 a bottle. Now it's $100. A little too rich for my blood.

Dalwhinnie 15yr used to be $45 a bottle all day where I live and now its $75-$90.

Around 5 years ago I found a little store here that had it on clearance for $30 a bottle so I purchased the last 2.

Indian Chief 03-04-2021 04:26 PM

I sometimes do the same thing. Find a good price on a bottle and get 2 or 3. Another suggestion is to actually order from the UK. If you get a half dozen bottles, the shipping evens out of it's still a good deal. Case in point, I recently got a bottle of Dalmore 18. By me it's over $200. With shipping factored in, ordering it from the UK ended up being around $135.

crispystl 03-04-2021 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilmrp117 (Post 15571196)

Thanks I will!

scho63 03-04-2021 05:59 PM

I was really impressed with Glen Fohdry and price was excellent.

cdcox 03-04-2021 08:06 PM

If you love the peat, try Ardbeg Wee Beastie. It is a 5 year single malt, very raw and smoky, like you would expect from a young Ardbeg. Great price point ($45) for an enormous malt.

lawrenceRaider 11-29-2021 08:25 AM

Wife bought me the Flaviar Whiskey Advent. Pretty excited about it.

https://cdn.flaviar.com/build/images...x.a2d98692.png