ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread, Part 2 **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280658)

RealSNR 03-17-2014 02:13 PM

Western Kentucky last year was such a goddamn butt-clencher. I hated it.

I have a feeling we're in for more of the same against Eastern Kentucky.

Three7s 03-17-2014 02:18 PM

Not worried about scoring at all. Defending the interior is the big issue.....

Mr. Plow 03-17-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10498196)

Depends if they are hitting from the outside. If they are shooting well from 3, it will be a tight game. If they are cold from outside, easy win for KU.

Reerun_KC 03-17-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10498211)
Depends if they are hitting from the outside. If they are shooting well from 3, it will be a tight game. If they are cold from outside, easy win for KU.

They will probably chuck up 30 or them or so...

We guard the perimeter we wont have an issue.

sedated 03-17-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 10498114)
Dick Vitale looked like a giant old wrinkly yellow penis on TV. WTF was the deal with that. Spray Tan for a 80 year old man?

I think they went heavy on the makeup because he's so damn old and his skin probably looks like shit. But he looked like he had jaundice.

Reerun_KC 03-17-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 10498232)
I think they went heavy on the makeup because he's so damn old and his skin probably looks like shit. But he looked like he had jaundice.

Looked like a circus peanut in a suit...

Prison Bitch 03-17-2014 02:48 PM

And on the selection special he noted that Tony Bennett was asked if he'd ever met another Tony Bennett and he said "Yes a stripper. But she spelled it with an I" Rece Davis didn't know how to move on from the interjection.

BWillie 03-17-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three7s (Post 10498210)
Not worried about scoring at all. Defending the interior is the big issue.....

Contrary to popular belief, our big issue with our defense is our three point defense. We are in the bottom 15 percentile with 3 point defense. Yeah, our inside defense isn't near as good as it usually is, but it's still better than most other teams. Combine that with Eastern Kentucky's ability to shoot the three and the fact that they pressure and force TOs (which we are prone too),we MAY have a game if they make 8+ threes. I'm not worried though, I expect us to be able to score at will.

Lzen 03-17-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10498196)

So true. Ugghhh. Eastern Kentucky this year? Is the committee showing their sense of humor? :cuss:

RealSNR 03-17-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 10498263)
So true. Ugghhh. Eastern Kentucky this year? Is the committee showing their sense of humor? :cuss:

The NCAA trolls KU in other ways. They seem to love putting UNC in the same bracket as us every year.

Thankfully we have yet to lose to Roy in spite of the NCAA's best efforts.

BWillie 03-17-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10498282)
The NCAA trolls KU in other ways. They seem to love putting UNC in the same bracket as us every year.

Pretty sure they were trolling UNC & Roy.

I'm sure UNC fans would literally lose their shit if they were placed in KU's bracket again this year.

sedated 03-17-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:

I think this is a myth. They put them in the same region in 2005 (and they would have both had to make it to the elite eight, but KU ruined the reunion by losing to Bucknell). They weren’t in the same region again until 2012 (in the elite eight again, not exactly begging for the matchup), then in round of 32 in 2013. The meeting in 2008 was in the final four, so they couldn’t have been farther apart unless they were on the opposite sides.

Silock 03-17-2014 05:10 PM

https://soundcloud.com/610sports/hei...medium=twitter

Shogun 03-17-2014 05:22 PM

That song was fantastic on radio

Shogun 03-17-2014 07:12 PM

Anybody else feeling like Hunter shouldnt have redshirted this year?

Edit. Im aware that it is in accordance to the NCAA. But do we lose less games with him this year?

Ceej 03-17-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 10498964)
Anybody else feeling like Hunter shouldnt have redshirted this year?

Edit. Im aware that it is in accordance to the NCAA. But do we lose less games with him this year?

He's a D1 transfer. He has to sit out one year.

Shogun 03-17-2014 07:27 PM

At least read the whole post ceej ROFL

What I'm asking and what I meant from the beginning before my potato post. Does he see much time now that embiid is injured and how much he play over black?

Ceej 03-17-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 10499005)
At least read the whole post ceej ROFL

What I'm asking and what I meant from the beginning before my potato post. Does he see much time now that embiid is injured and how much he play over black?

...but he wasn't redshirted.

*EDIT* I think he'd play plenty of minutes because he can rebound and block shots (not like Embiid). I think he led the SEC in blocked shots for freshman.

Shogun 03-17-2014 07:36 PM

I mean it says its still a redshirt wherever I search it, not that that matters. Still not playing this yr.

Pretty excited to see this kid play next year. Cliff. Embiid(hopefully). Hunter. Perry. ALL OF THE REBOUND BELONG TO US

Ceej 03-17-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 10499032)
I mean it says its still a redshirt wherever I search it, not that that matters. Still not playing this yr.

Pretty excited to see this kid play next year. Cliff. Embiid(hopefully). Hunter. Perry. ALL OF THE REBOUND BELONG TO US

Add in potentially Embiid or Turner. It may very well be the best front court in the nation.

I don't expect much scoring from Hunter while he's here, but he won't have to do much with Ellis/Big Cliff/Embiid or Turner.

Shogun 03-17-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10499041)
Add in potentially Embiid or Turner. It may very well be the best front court in the nation.

I don't expect much scoring from Hunter while he's here, but he won't have to do much with Ellis/Big Cliff/Embiid or Turner.

Epic

Chief_For_Life58 03-17-2014 07:50 PM

why did Hunter transfer to ku

Shogun 03-17-2014 07:56 PM

To play Basketball

Chiefs Pantalones 03-17-2014 08:14 PM

For some reason, after really thinking about it unbiasly, I'm not feeling too good about us surviving this weekend. And that's not just the second game, the first I'm kinda iffy. I don't know what it is, but it probably has something to do with a lack of pride to guard guys on defense and an inconsistent effort and energy on both sides of the ball, as Self has stated many times this year. I'm just used to our teams doing the opposite. Blame youth if you want, but usually it gets better as the year goes on. Kinda odd this year. So much talent but the effort isn't always there. I guess if you can't get up for a single elimination game then you deserve to go home. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Chief_For_Life58 03-17-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 10499066)
To play Basketball

oh right cus he wasnt getting playing time at Arkansas

Shogun 03-17-2014 08:22 PM

Would you wanna play for Mike Anderson?

sedated 03-17-2014 08:33 PM

Im one thats not overly worried about the first game, despite their ability to shoot the 3. My thought is that this is the worst team we have played since TCU, KU played at least 65% of their games against teams way better than this, and we play good D when motivated.

sedated 03-17-2014 08:53 PM

Ok, here is KU's schedule this year according to tournament seeding:
(going from memory after a few green beers so forgive any mistakes)

- (w) home
3 (w) neutral
- (w) home
- (w) home
- (w) neutral
2 (L) neutral
- (w) neutral
8 (L) road
1 (L) road
7 (w) neutral
- (w) home
- (w) home
4 (L) home
5 (w) road
9 (w) home
3 (w) road
6 (w) home
- (w) road
3 (w) home
7 (L) road
6 (w) road
- (w) home
9 (L) road
- (w) home
- (w) road
7 (w) home
5 (w) home
9 (L) road
- (w) home
- (L) road
9 (w) neutral
3 (L) neutral

Buehler445 03-17-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10499085)
For some reason, after really thinking about it unbiasly, I'm not feeling too good about us surviving this weekend. And that's not just the second game, the first I'm kinda iffy. I don't know what it is, but it probably has something to do with a lack of pride to guard guys on defense and an inconsistent effort and energy on both sides of the ball, as Self has stated many times this year. I'm just used to our teams doing the opposite. Blame youth if you want, but usually it gets better as the year goes on. Kinda odd this year. So much talent but the effort isn't always there. I guess if you can't get up for a single elimination game then you deserve to go home. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Hopefully Self calls Collins and Aldrich to talk to the guys and tell them what it's like to not put effort and get beat by a shit team.

I'd imagine what they have to say would resonate with the kids.

KC_Connection 03-17-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10499176)
Hopefully Self calls Collins and Aldrich to talk to the guys and tell them what it's like to not put effort and get beat by a shit team.

Well, Northern Iowa was a hell of a lot better than EKU. A top 25 team in the nation for sure. They also played at the slowest tempo you can possibly imagine. If that 2010 game was played with even a couple of more possessions, it would have been a different outcome (but credit to UNI for getting a much more talented KU to play their game).

I'm not too worried about Friday, but the fact that EKU shoot a lot of threes does give them a chance. Somewhere between a 8-12% chance based on the metrics out there. Crazier things (Norfolk State) have happened.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-17-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

I wasn't confident in the 09-10 or 10-11 team underneath it all. Shoddy guard play throughout both years ended it before it began for those teams. And like this year, we need(ed) a good game from our PG (Collins) to go far in 09. He sucked against UNI. We needed outstanding games from him, Reed and Morningstar those years and it didn't happen in the dance. Guard play owns.

Silock 03-17-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10499085)

I'm not worried. EKU is a 15 seed for a reason.

Yes, they shoot a lot of threes, but our problem guarding threes usually stems from teams driving inside, or passing inside, and us collapsing on them, and then not getting back to the guy who got the kickout. That won't be a problem with this team. They have NO inside presence. So, the guards will never have to help inside, which means they can just stay on their man. The only thing we'll have to worry about is running through screens that get the shooters open. That's not something you can really coach other than to say "Hey, don't sag off and go behind the screen; fight through it."

I'm not particularly worried. They don't rebound the ball. Like, at all. Even if they steal a few possessions and hit 45% of their threes, they will have NO answer inside. We should score on every possession. Even if we miss, they won't rebound the ball.

Silock 03-17-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10499230)
Guard play owns.

Right, and we have THE best guard in the nation. And another outstanding one in Selden. We'll be fine.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-17-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10499232)
Right, and we have THE best guard in the nation. And another outstanding one in Selden. We'll be fine.

I hope so man. I appreciate it your post made me feel better.

KC_Connection 03-17-2014 09:40 PM

I suspect EKU will use a lot of zone. I don't know how they'll be able to make any stops if they stick with mostly man defense. Ellis and Wiggins would destroy them.

Lzen 03-17-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

And Georgetown

KC_Connection 03-17-2014 09:45 PM

Not to mention, there's no way they could stop Black or Traylor using man defense either.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-17-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 10499242)
And Georgetown

I think they've given up on that finally now after we've beat them the last three times we've faced them lol.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-17-2014 09:53 PM

I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm shocked that this team hasn't improved that much on D throughout the year and from an effort standpoint. Self coached teams aren't supposed to be this crappy on D. Even Self said himself he's surprised that this team isn't that good on D he thought they'd be better on D than on O.

Lzen 03-17-2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10499258)
I think they've given up on that finally now after we've beat them the last three times we've faced them lol.

And Georgetown is NIT bound this year

Buehler445 03-17-2014 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10499283)
I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm shocked that this team hasn't improved that much on D throughout the year and from an effort standpoint. Self coached teams aren't supposed to be this crappy on D. Even Self said himself he's surprised that this team isn't that good on D he thought they'd be better on D than on O.

There are some bright spots. Selden Wiggins and Embiid are good defenders. Black too prior to picking up his 18th foul. But **** they don't play team defense well. Rotation is bad help side is bad. Situational awareness is bad. It's the team stuff that's bad.

Ellis and Tharpe are particularly poor on defense but I think the team aspects could hide that if they were worth a ****.

EDIT. And yes. I'm surprised.

Prison Bitch 03-17-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10499232)

It's not right anyway, since guard play is not nearly as valuable as post play is either in regular or post season.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-17-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10499356)
It's not right anyway, since guard play is not nearly as valuable as post play is either in regular or post season.

If that were true, I can name a number of teams that should've cut down the nets the last five years.

KU doesn't win it in 08 without magnificient guard play overall in the postseason. Same with Louisville and UConn in their national title winning years to name a few.

Silock 03-18-2014 01:02 AM

I don't think there's one aspect of a team that's more important than another. Balanced teams, both with a good post and good guard play tend to do very well. Unless, of course, they have Melo.

Lzen 03-18-2014 10:33 AM

Self interview with Scott Van Pelt.

http://t.co/OMfA8kY1eT

Braincase 03-18-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

If Collins says anything, it better be "Play as a team, and don't feel like you've got to win the game all by yourself."

His display during the NIU game was one of the most selfish displays ever by a player wearing a KU jersey.

Prison Bitch 03-18-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10499407)
If that were true, I can name a number of teams that should've cut down the nets the last five years.

KU doesn't win it in 08 without magnificient guard play overall in the postseason. Same with Louisville and UConn in their national title winning years to name a few.

The 43 teams since 2004 with All-American guards have reached seven Final Fours (16.2%), won two championships (4.7%) and underachieved at a -.157 PASE rate—worse even than basic guard-dominant teams. The two champs were UConn and Kemba Walker in 2011 and Duke and Jon Scheyer in 2010.

Meanwhile, the 59 teams with All-Star frontcourt players have reached 12 Final Fours (20.4%), won five championships (8.5%) and overachieved at a +.167 PPASE rate—exactly the PASE that basic frontcourt-dominant teams have posted since 2004.
http://wp.bracketscience.com/?p=822

Bambi 03-18-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10499959)
The 43 teams since 2004 with All-American guards have reached seven Final Fours (16.2%), won two championships (4.7%) and underachieved at a -.157 PASE rate—worse even than basic guard-dominant teams. The two champs were UConn and Kemba Walker in 2011 and Duke and Jon Scheyer in 2010.

Meanwhile, the 59 teams with All-Star frontcourt players have reached 12 Final Fours (20.4%), won five championships (8.5%) and overachieved at a +.167 PPASE rate—exactly the PASE that basic frontcourt-dominant teams have posted since 2004.

Guardplay in college basketball has become one of these myths that seems to grow every year.

Bigs have always been the key and it's never been so obvious as in today's CBB.

RealSNR 03-18-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10500059)
Guardplay in college basketball has become one of these myths that seems to grow every year.

Bigs have always been the key and it's never been so obvious as in today's CBB.

True, but Wiggins is that damn good.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-18-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10499959)

That's quite interesting, but in all the championship winning teams I've seen in CBB the guards have played extremely well. Those numbers aren't mind numbingly apart either. Take Zona, they have one of the top front courts in the nation. Their guard play can be hideous at times and when it has they've lost, other times their elite team D has saved them. As a matter of fact, that's why a lot of people aren't high on them to win it all. Their guards play like high school guards at times, including Nick Johnson.

Balance is number one though as someone pointed out. On offense though a team with great guard play can tear apart a good front court, get them in foul trouble, etc.

Prison Bitch 03-18-2014 01:17 PM

I'm certainly not arguing that Tharpe and Selden can play at the level they've been at lately and give us much of a chance. Only that post play is more valuable in advancing.

Lzen 03-18-2014 01:38 PM

ESPN Sports Science - Andrew Wiggins

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=106...pnapi_internal

Buehler445 03-18-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 10500275)

I saw that. That's damned cool.

Ceej 03-18-2014 04:44 PM

Florida/Creighton/Louisville/Michigan State.

Mr_Tomahawk 03-19-2014 08:44 PM

http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/town...anges-on-tap-/

Chiefs Pantalones 03-20-2014 12:30 AM

Happy March Madness y'all. Let's win another national title, shall we?

Silock 03-20-2014 12:38 AM

I'm ready.

DJay23 03-20-2014 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10503486)
Happy March Madness y'all. Let's win another national title, shall we?

It can happen. Survive this weekend and I'll be a believer.

RealSNR 03-20-2014 12:29 PM

How the **** did KU lose to Colorado?

These guys are terrible.

Reerun_KC 03-20-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10504369)

These guys are terrible.

Pure luck.

Buehler445 03-20-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10504369)

These guys are terrible.

Spencer dimwhitty.

They should run him out there. Him on crutches is better than what they're running out there.

Mr. Plow 03-20-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 10504376)
Pure luck.

LMAO

That or they don't have their best player anymore.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-21-2014 01:02 PM

Assuming we beat EKU, how do we matchup with Stanford if they win?

saphojunkie 03-21-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10506531)

GET THAT ****ING SHIT OUTTA HERE. I OUGHTTA NEG REP YOU ON GENERAL PRINCIPLE, YOU JINXING JINXER ARE YOU NOT WATCHING THIS SHIT ANYONE CAN GO DOWN IT COULD BE ANYONE HOW LONG WERE YOU ALONE WITH THAT DOG???

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsR/15129.gif

Chiefs Pantalones 03-21-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10506537)
GET THAT ****ING SHIT OUTTA HERE. I OUGHTTA NEG REP YOU ON GENERAL PRINCIPLE, YOU JINXING JINXER ARE YOU NOT WATCHING THIS SHIT ANYONE CAN GO DOWN IT COULD BE ANYONE HOW LONG WERE YOU ALONE WITH THAT DOG???

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsR/15129.gif

LMAO

I don't know, I just work here.

Mr. Plow 03-21-2014 02:08 PM

Boogers

Bambi 03-21-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10506531)

REally well. They can't score. Can't wait til next week when we get Jo Jo back and the real tourney begins.

Bambi 03-21-2014 04:45 PM

March On.

Prison Bitch 03-21-2014 05:10 PM

Winning is fun

Prison Bitch 03-21-2014 05:27 PM

Selden: 0-5 / 2-4 for 2 points. 29 minutes and zero boards, steals or blocks. He was dreadful today.

Ceej 03-21-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10507438)
Selden: 0-5 / 2-4 for 2 points. 29 minutes and zero boards, steals or blocks. He was dreadful today.

Neat.

Ceej 03-21-2014 09:31 PM

When is tip-off announced for Sunday?

chiefsfan987 03-21-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10507992)

They usually announce that with seconds remaining in the final game of the day.

chiefsfan987 03-21-2014 10:17 PM

Man those 3 points they boned KSU on are becoming big now... Could be a three point game.

Chief_For_Life58 03-21-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10506673)
REally well. They can't score. Can't wait til next week when we get Jo Jo back and the real tourney begins.

jojo hasn't even practiced though. you think Bill will throw him straight in if he's 100%? I'm starting to think we never see him play again for Kansas

KC_Connection 03-21-2014 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10507992)

11:15 AM CT for KU/Stanford. The early game.

Shogun 03-21-2014 10:51 PM

Niyang fractured his foot for iowa st. Out for rest of season.

chiefsfan987 03-21-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 10508106)
11:15 AM CT for KU/Stanford. The early game.

I'll take it. By the time I wake up the pregame will already be on :)

Buehler445 03-21-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 10508111)
Niyang fractured his foot for iowa st. Out for rest of season.

Oh ****. Huge loss for the clones. Bad news.

RustShack 03-21-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10508123)
Oh ****. Huge loss for the clones. Bad news.

Three guards two forwards now like last years team. Luckily Kane is like a forward too. He even played some minutes at the 4 during non conference while Ejim was out.