ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Restaurants of yesteryear (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=151160)

burt 09-11-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 5005700)
Sweet, thanks for the update, excellent news! Always wanted to take my gf to that place, but i met her after it was closed.

If I remember correctly, they have moved up the street a ways...so don't just show up at the restaurant. and I didn't find anything recent when I googled. But I am sure it has reopened.

Sure-Oz 09-11-2008 02:44 PM

No prob TBA...

Here is the article...new location and different name..i'll have to check it out...

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainm...ry/784026.html
Posted on Sun, Sep. 07, 2008
Rejoice! Stephenson’s returns, with fritters

Move over Stroud’s …

Fans of fabled local eatery Stephenson’s Old Apple Farm can rip off their black armbands and begin living large again because the apple fritters are back, baby.

Heir apparent Steve Stephenson has re-launched — for the most part — his family’s comfort food tradition at 6600 Blue Ridge Blvd. in the wilds of Raytown.

“The name of the new place is J.L. Stephenson’s Santa Fe Inn,” Stephenson says. “The reason it’s J.L. is because my real name is John Loyd, but nobody knows me by that name because since I was little, Steve is all I was ever called.

“I didn’t know I was John until I was old enough to go to school and somebody said, ‘John’ and I was like, ‘No, that’s not me.’ ”

But back to Stephenson’s future…

The new Stephenson’s is in the space of Raytown’s former Santa Fe Inn, which closed last year after coming under new ownership.

“We’ve been having some friends over the last couple days and they’ve been kind of critiquing everything and we kind of quietly opened (Thursday),” Stephenson says. “So we’re looking to go now, or let’s say I sure hope so.

“I’ve got my old chef from Stephenson’s, Charlie Meyers. So we’ll have the apple fritters, green rice casserole, apple pie with brandy sauce, baked chicken with butter and cream — it was written up in Duncan Hines’ famous foods for famous places — and the brisket of beef, pork chops and the homemade hot rolls. That’s all of the Stephenson’s stuff we have.”

But there’s more.

“We have the things the Santa Fe Inn had that were popular,” Stephenson says. “Their big hamburger, their big tenderloins, hamburger steaks, grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and a grilled beef and cheese sandwich.”

The original Stephenson’s seated 350 and broke a lot of hearts when it closed on one of the biggest dining out holidays of the year, Valentine’s Day 2007.

Funding was tight, the original owners had health issues and were holed up in Florida, and the situation reached the breaking point.

That was then.

The new joint is only a manageable size (110 seats) and will be open seven days a week, from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. The Santa Fe Inn’s Sunday catfish and fried chicken specials will return. As will much of Stephenson’s classic memorabilia.

“Oh yeah, I’ve got all the autographed photos of the movie stars that were in there,” he says. “And the Truman stuff, things that were signed by Truman — most of it is already up on the walls. And I’ve got the framed, original Kansas City Star front pages about Truman dropping the bomb and World War II ending, the Kennedy assassination and walking on the moon.”

Lest I forget: Stephenson’s side dishes like Texas potatoes and zucchini casserole are also on the menu, and if demand warrants, they’ll bring back lesser entree faves as specials on a regular basis. So just ask or let ’em know.

Sure-Oz 09-11-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 5005711)

Dammit! I can't find it anywhere. I'll work on it, RJ, and FireMeBoy! both should still have the recipe...

Appreciate it!

burt 09-11-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 5005720)
No prob TBA...

Here is the article...new location and different name..i'll have to check it out...

Damn....you youngsters are good at this interweb..........

Sure-Oz 09-11-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.B.A. (Post 5005733)
Damn....you youngsters are good at this interweb..........

ROFL

Definetly...i have missed this place alot, been going since i was a 5 year old...it shutdown the day after I got with my gf...i remmeber weeks later i drove past and it was shutdown. Supposedly thought it was cause of a fire...im stoked to eat that classic food again. Thanks!

burt 09-11-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 5005742)
ROFL

Definetly...i have missed this place alot, been going since i was a 5 year old...it shutdown the day after I got with my gf...i remmeber weeks later i drove past and it was shutdown. Supposedly thought it was cause of a fire...im stoked to eat that classic food again. Thanks!

You are most welcome....I am just glad I read Christopher that day.

MOhillbilly 09-11-2008 02:57 PM

last time i was at stephensons it was gahddahm terrible. have to talk my grandmother into eating there this weekend.

burt 09-11-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 5005771)
last time i was at stephensons it was gahddahm terrible. have to talk my grandmother into eating there this weekend.

I don't believe I have ever had a poor experience there, but then again, I drink a lot of whiskey and my memory is getting poor. What were we talkin' about?

Sure-Oz 09-11-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.B.A. (Post 5005778)
I don't believe I have ever had a poor experience there, but then again, I drink a lot of whiskey and my memory is getting poor. What were we talkin' about?

LOL, i have never had a bad exp. ever...i used to over drink the apple cider back in the day just waiting for a table. I am sure it will be different at the new place but the food is all i care about, the fritters were so damn perfect too!

MOhillbilly 09-11-2008 03:18 PM

this was right aroung the time it closed. trust me it wasnt good atoll.

stumppy 09-11-2008 03:22 PM

Reds on the west side of Springfield.

Best GD burgers, chili, fries, and homemade rootbeer ever.

MOhillbilly 09-11-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 5005825)
Reds on the west side of Springfield.

Best GD burgers, chili, fries, and homemade rootbeer ever.

heard great things.

stumppy 09-11-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 5005828)
heard great things.

Yea, it was a sad day when he retired.

MOhillbilly 09-11-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 5005831)
Yea, it was a sad day when he retired.

there was a special on pbs about mo 66 that had old pics and whatnot. i liked the big orange cooler reds had to serve coffee on the counter.

http://www.birthplaceofroute66.com/images/bk1,1A.jpg

Programmer 09-11-2008 03:42 PM

Shakey's Pizza - Best Pizza of the day.

A&W - Car Hops

Smaks - Grease

Homers - Best hamburgers around.