ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Killer apps for Android? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=237705)

BigMeatballDave 04-21-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedude (Post 8558319)
Just got my first Android phone this week. I had a chance to upgrade and I decided to go with the LG-P930. I threw a 32G SDcard in it, loaded to the T with my music collection. Been coming across some interesting apps sticking mainly to the free ones for now.

I've been going browser crazy going through battery life quickly. Found a DL for "Easy Battery Saver" but I'm not sure if it really is making a difference.

I like the Firefox app, find it to be much faster than the default browser.

Now I'll be able to browse CP from just about anywhere. Yet I question if that's really a good thing? :D

Those battery saver apps dont really work.

Root it and install a custom ROM and Kernel if battery life is important to you.

chasedude 04-21-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8558324)
Those battery saver apps dont really work.

Root it and install a custom ROM and Kernel if battery life is important to you.

I'm always vigil on keeping wifi and GPS off when not needed hoping it helps a little, but I'll check out your recommendation.

R8RFAN 04-22-2012 03:17 PM

Juice defender works well for me, Battery saving on an Android is based on 3 main things..

Screen Brightness + Screen Timeout(Dim it to save battery)(Set it to no more than a minute)
Data & Wifi (Turn em off when you don't use it) Juice Defender will do this for you
Apps you allow to access the internet at will and refresh themselves.

chasedude 04-22-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8559222)
Juice defender works well for me, Battery saving on an Android is based on 3 main things..

Screen Brightness + Screen Timeout(Dim it to save battery)(Set it to no more than a minute)
Data & Wifi (Turn em off when you don't use it) Juice Defender will do this for you
Apps you allow to access the internet at will and refresh themselves.

I'll check out Juice Defender, thx R8ers. I did some research into the rooting thing Dave recommended but I'm a bit hesitant to crack this phone.

I've been working in IT for over 10 years and I'm afraid of a damn phone. I need to be smacked upside the head.

My fear is bricking the damn thing, then I'm screwed.

BigMeatballDave 04-22-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedude (Post 8559924)
I'll check out Juice Defender, thx R8ers. I did some research into the rooting thing Dave recommended but I'm a bit hesitant to crack this phone.

I've been working in IT for over 10 years and I'm afraid of a damn phone. I need to be smacked upside the head.

I dont know AT&T does it, but with Sprint as long as you carry insurance, they'll fix it free.

I bricked my Galaxy S2 a few weeks ago and took it to a service center. I played dumb. Told them it was updating. :)

Took them an hour or so to fix it.

chasedude 04-22-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8559935)
I dont know AT&T does it, but with Sprint as long as you carry insurance, they'll fix it free.

I bricked my Galaxy S2 a few weeks ago and took it to a service center. I played dumb. Told them it was updating. :)

Took them an hour or so to fix it.

I have AT&T and opted out of the insurance. Waste of money to me cause I take care of the things I purchase. Yet there is the unforseen, it's a 50/50 case I guess.

BigMeatballDave 04-22-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedude (Post 8559978)
I have AT&T and opted out of the insurance. Waste of money to me cause I take care of the things I purchase. Yet there is the unforseen, it's a 50/50 case I guess.

I dont like paying the insurance, but its very useful since I tinker with mine a lot.

R8RFAN 04-22-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedude (Post 8559924)

Alot of the phones now basically have one click root , almost foolproof but that is a decision you need to make for yourself...

Rooting is not some kind of super awesome thing, I have been doing it for years now but it just doesn't excite me much...

chasedude 04-22-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8559980)
I dont like paying the insurance, but its very useful since I tinker with mine a lot.

I still have a couple weeks left to decide if I want insurance. AT&T gives you a 30 day option to add later. Same if I didn't like the phone, return no questions asked. I may add it for just one month, try cracking if it's not against the policy. If I brick it then I'm not out anything.

chasedude 04-22-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8559990)
Alot of the phones now basically have one click root , almost foolproof but that is a decision you need to make for yourself...

Rooting is not some kind of super awesome thing, I have been doing it for years now but it just doesn't excite me much...

Since this is my first smart phone, it's pretty new to me. I've played around with the iphone since my mother has one, asked me to setup her email. I'm just hesitant is all.

BigMeatballDave 04-22-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8559990)

Rooting isnt a big deal, its the Roms that are, can be. I am always changing my phone Rom.

The best part is removing the bloatware that bogs the phone, plus with root, you get free tether on Sprint.

R8RFAN 04-22-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8560017)
Rooting isnt a big deal, its the Roms that are, can be. I am always changing my phone Rom.

The best part is removing the bloatware that bogs the phone, plus with root, you get free tether on Sprint.

Yea removing the bloatware is the best part

chasedude 04-22-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8560017)

Ok, I found a root program SuperOneClick and tried it. Went smooth with no problems. Guess now I need to find out how to flash the ROM.

BigMeatballDave 04-22-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedude (Post 8560025)
Ok, I found a root program SuperOneClick and tried it. Went smooth with no problems. Guess now I need to find out how to flash the ROM.

You need to flash a custom recovery now. Try Clockwork Mod. Its free in the Play Store.

BigMeatballDave 04-22-2012 10:08 PM

There are videos on youtube that can be helpful