ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Gasoline at $4 Coming to a Pump Near You, Unfazed by Rising Tab (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=161736)

jidar 05-19-2008 08:47 AM

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

StcChief 05-19-2008 09:09 AM

Just in time for summer Vacation season, Alot of disappointed destinations with smaller crowds more local ones is my prediction.

Coach 05-19-2008 11:47 AM

I'd advise to fill up before the end of the week, since it's Memorial Day.

Donger 05-19-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 4757498)
I'd advise to fill up before the end of the week, since it's Memorial Day.

Has anyone reconsidered a trip this weekend via automobile due to gas prices?

jiveturkey 05-19-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 4757538)

We're staying at home this year.

We had a trip to Santa Claus, IN planned but decided against it. We've actually cut back two other trips on the calendar later this summer as well.

alanm 05-19-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 4748172)
Question...are the Chinese and India squealing like us over gas prices? I mean, they are paying for it at the pump as well...

I don't know if anyone pointed this out before but if they did I apologize. But China and India's respective governments is subsidizing their oil. So their paying at the pump no where near what we do. Probably about 50 cents a gallon. Iran does the same and I read this morning that a gallon of gas in Tehran is 35 cents a gallon.

Mr. Flopnuts 05-19-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Yeah. Not going camping at all. We've also parked the SUV indefinitely, (It's not like anyone wants to buy it) and are driving the sedan exclusively. I expect our costs to go down by no less than $300 a month.

alanm 05-19-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefDave (Post 4748350)
I don't see ethanol being sold in my area. What's the current price for a gallon of E85?

2.57 here in Scottsbluff.

Amnorix 05-19-2008 12:28 PM

A few stray thoughts:

1. The price of oil is outside the control of any one country, or the oil majors. Oil is now an international business. The price of oil is skyrocketing in large part because supply is fixed (OPEC and the other oil producers are at or near production capacity) and demand is rising quickly as a result of the industrial revolution basically reaching China and India (the world's first and second most populous nations) only now.

2. ANWR won't make a significant difference either way, and in any event will take years to get online. For myself, I prefer to leave ANWR untapped not because of caribou or whatever, but rather because it is a FREE emergency petroleum reserve.

3. The only real way to alleviate the price of oil per barrel, and therefore gasoline, is to either INCREASE supply, or REDUCE demand. And by a very signifciant amount. ANWR will not do this. Eliminating the gas tax will not do this. Ethanol is nice, but is only a small piece to a very large puzzle. The real key, unless we discover another Saudi Arabia somewhere, is to find ***ALTERNATIVE*** fuels. The reason why oil is dominant in our economy is because the generation of power relative to cost has been by far the most efficient. It's time to explore other avenues, and quickly.

As for myself, bring on nuclear power, solar and wind power, to the extent possible, and research the hell out of alternatives. It's a national priority.

Amnorix 05-19-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanm (Post 4757563)
I don't know if anyone pointed this out before but if they did I apologize. But China and India's respective governments is subsidizing their oil. So their paying at the pump no where near what we do. Probably about 50 cents a gallon. Iran does the same and I read this morning that a gallon of gas in Tehran is 35 cents a gallon.

That only means that the price of gas is cheaper for the citizens. And where does the government get the money to pay to keep the cost artificially low? Right, one way or another it's the citizens.

So gas is expensive everywhere, it's just a function of who is paying the cost -- all the citizens collectively, or the individuals on an as-needed basis.

Amnorix 05-19-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBo (Post 4748267)
I don't know the answer to that, but I have to wonder about their logic in becoming as oil dependent as we are. One would think they'd learn from us and find a different road to go down.

What road is that? What alternatives do they have at reasonable cost? And what do they care when they are flush with revenues and have a mssive trade surplus, etc.?

Amnorix 05-19-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 4608947)
No, they won't.

And they shouldn't. That's just grabbing a small bucket of drinking water to put out a raging fire. Best to save it for drinking, if there is no other water readily available...

Deberg_1990 05-19-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

When gas drops below $3.00 a gallon i will consider it. ROFL

Bowser 05-19-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Not only that, but I'm seriously considering buying a Prius.

Frazod 05-19-2008 12:36 PM

For all the noise about E85, there's only one place near me that sells it, a Gas City station that (because of its location, I guess) charges 20 to 30 cents more a gallon than anything else in the area. Their E85 is about 50 cents a gallon cheaper than that, but because of their exhorbinant prices only about 20 cents cheaper than gas I can buy elsewhere, which doesn't make up for the shitty gas mileage I get with E85.

If another station with normal prices offered it I might buy it (my Impala is designed to use it) but I'm not buying anything from those thieves.