ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

DJJasonp 08-22-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4922393)
Here's one that might have slipped through the cracks, unless you are a die hard Balehead.

"Equilibrium".

Dystopian flick set in the early 21st century where human emotion has been outlawed due to the consequences of it--war, violence, etc. Very 1984-ish. The first half is more of a philosophical character piece, and the second half is a bloodbath. The effects are a little hokey, but I really enjoy this movie.

Worth a watch.

Really enjoyed this film......that movie and Gattaca....seem so much more possible as the days and years go by...

DJJasonp 08-22-2008 11:09 PM

for the indie film fans....

I just watched "It's all gone Pete Tong" for the 3rd time the other night....absolutely love that film.

Won two USA comedy arts festival awards...Toronto International film festival, etc.

Starts off like a movie about the rave/club scene in Ibiza, then takes a turn towards a more meaningful road....

You dont necessarily have to like the techno/house, Ibiza scene to like this film.....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388139/

Frazod 08-22-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4922393)
Here's one that might have slipped through the cracks, unless you are a die hard Balehead.

"Equilibrium".

Dystopian flick set in the early 21st century where human emotion has been outlawed due to the consequences of it--war, violence, etc. Very 1984-ish. The first half is more of a philosophical character piece, and the second half is a bloodbath. The effects are a little hokey, but I really enjoy this movie.

Worth a watch.

I haven't checked in on this thread for awhile. Yeah, I loved this movie - the only knock on it is it's utter lack of any semblance of originality (basically Logan's Run meets 1984, with a bit of Matrix and Highlander thrown in for good measure). My DVD is currently floating around the office, since almost no one has heard of this movie, which is a shame. Everybody I've shown it to loved it.

irishjayhawk 08-22-2008 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4937003)
I haven't checked in on this thread for awhile. Yeah, I loved this movie - the only knock on it is it's utter lack of any semblance of originality (basically Logan's Run meets 1984, with a bit of Matrix and Highlander thrown in for good measure). My DVD is currently floating around the office, since almost no one has heard of this movie, which is a shame. Everybody I've shown it to loved it.

You forgot to add Brave New World as part of it. :p

KevB 08-23-2008 12:12 AM

Just watched these three:

Equilibrium: On the advice given here. I enjoyed it. Nothing ground-breaking, but surprised it's not a more well known flick.

City of God: This is an outstanding movie. I was completely engaged in all the characters. Highly recommended.

Stop-Loss: I wasn't really expecting much, but it was reasonably well acted. Predictable, for sure. Interesting topic, and I think I'd have the same struggle if put in these soldiers shoes.

irishjayhawk 08-23-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 4937078)
Just watched these three:

Equilibrium: On the advice given here. I enjoyed it. Nothing ground-breaking, but surprised it's not a more well known flick.

Yeah, not really groundbreaking in the story way as it's basically a stew of like 8 books. However, what was groundbreaking was Bale. It's basically the movie that cast him as Batman.

Quote:

City of God: This is an outstanding movie. I was completely engaged in all the characters. Highly recommended.
Yes, yes it is. City of Men is out now. I haven't seen it but it's the same director.

Quote:

Stop-Loss: I wasn't really expecting much, but it was reasonably well acted. Predictable, for sure. Interesting topic, and I think I'd have the same struggle if put in these soldiers shoes.
I thought the trailer sold it as a different thing. I was pretty disappointed. But I do like Ryan Philippe.

blaise 08-23-2008 12:46 PM

On the City of God DVD there's an interesting mini-documentary about the actual area the movie was based on (a favela they call it, like a ghetto). It's a crazy place. The police are almost combat soldiers.

A movie I'm looking forward to is The Road. It's supposed to be released Nov 26th or 28 of this year. It's based on the Cormac McCarthy novel. Pretty heavy novel, I'm curious to see how the movie comes across. Viggio Mortenson stars in it.
Another movie I heard about that sounds awesome is going to be called The Fighter (sometime in 2009). It's about the boxer Irish Micky Ward and his half brother. Mark Wahlberg plays Irish Micky and Brad Pitt plays the brother (Dick Englund). The brother (who was also a boxer that once fought Sugar Ray Leonard) was in the HBO High on Crack Street documentary a few years ago.

kcxiv 08-25-2008 03:08 AM

Sat night i watched Stranger than Fiction and i thought it was a cool movie. I didnt think Will Ferrell can actually act in a serious role. I enjoyed it.

irishjayhawk 08-25-2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 4943443)
Sat night i watched Stranger than Fiction and i thought it was a cool movie. I didnt think Will Ferrell can actually act in a serious role. I enjoyed it.

:D

It's one of my sleeper hits. I love it, it always makes me feel good.

ChiefsFan4Life 08-25-2008 08:24 AM

Last night I watched Gangs of New York for the first time and I thought it was a long, but great movie.

Sure-Oz 08-25-2008 01:09 PM

Watched 30 days of night last night, pretty dang good horrorish flick, exceeded my expectations

Also saw "the other boylen girl" pretty reeruned movie, if you're into seeing natalie portman be a bitch and then get it from eric banana go for it...(no nudity) and saw Meet Bill, which was kind've funny, def. netflixable

QuikSsurfer 08-25-2008 02:00 PM

Watched "Son of Rambo" last night. GREAT all around movie - Hate that this one slipped by me in theaters.

Anyone seen this?

Fairplay 08-25-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life (Post 4943594)
Last night I watched Gangs of New York for the first time and I thought it was a long, but great movie.

That movie sucked big time.

Coach 08-25-2008 06:35 PM

Wonder how good Tropic Thunder really is....

irishjayhawk 08-25-2008 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 4945076)
That movie sucked big time.

It was good, just long.