ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV HBO greenlights A Game of Thrones pilot! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196570)

mnchiefsguy 04-19-2011 07:08 PM

Watching the first episode now...first ten minutes have been really good.

Huffmeister 04-20-2011 08:46 AM

I watched it for the third time last night, and am still impressed with the casting. Every role is spot on, except for Cersei. She's got beauty, but it's more of a 'plain' beauty than a 'striking' beauty that is described in the books. And the actress is playing the role a bit more subdued than I had imagined. She just doesn't seem hot or haughty enough.

keg in kc 04-20-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 7578674)
I watched it for the third time last night, and am still impressed with the casting. Every role is spot on, except for Cersei. She's got beauty, but it's more of a 'plain' beauty than a 'striking' beauty that is described in the books. And the actress is playing the role a bit more subdued than I had imagined. She just doesn't seem hot or haughty enough.

I think that's how they want her to portrey Cersei. They'd been pushing her as cold and calculating in the stuff leading up to the premiere.

Pants 04-20-2011 09:57 AM

Watched the opening scene last night and about JIMPED. Going to watch it tonight, can't wait.

NewChief 04-20-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7578784)
I think that's how they want her to portrey Cersei. They'd been pushing her as cold and calculating in the stuff leading up to the premiere.

Yeah, I also didn't agree with the actress's take on Cersei that she loved Robert at one time. I don't think she ever loved him. I do think that, since it's a film not a book, they have to be more careful with their character portrayals. GRRM is able to show those shades of grey by developing characters through lots of exposition and inner dialogue. We won't have that luxury in the TV adaptation. As such, I think they're trying to make the characters a little closer to grey to begin with instead of making them appear to be black, then suddenly you start to see their white sides emerge over time.

Iowanian 04-20-2011 10:41 AM

I haven't read the books nor heard of them outside of Chiefsplanet, however I watched the first episode based entirely on your discussion in this thread.

Any show that has a Drunken Midget getting a blowjob and an orgy in the first half our of the first episode, has my attention. I'm not really into the fantasy genre but I can see this show having possibilities. I was pretty shocked at the final minute of the first episode.

keg in kc 04-20-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7578881)
Yeah, I also didn't agree with the actress's take on Cersei that she loved Robert at one time. I don't think she ever loved him. I do think that, since it's a film not a book, they have to be more careful with their character portrayals. GRRM is able to show those shades of grey by developing characters through lots of exposition and inner dialogue. We won't have that luxury in the TV adaptation. As such, I think they're trying to make the characters a little closer to grey to begin with instead of making them appear to be black, then suddenly you start to see their white sides emerge over time.

I think they're being a little more subtle than that. It's less about her once loving him than about how much she hates him because the marriage began with him in love with dead Lyanna, followed by years of wenching. You don't have to love somebody for them to wound your pride...

The way they sold it on the previews was that she might have been able to love him had he not been the way he was. Rather than her pining away for years.

She's the woman scorned, basically.

keg in kc 04-20-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 7578929)
I haven't read the books nor heard of them outside of Chiefsplanet, however I watched the first episode based entirely on your discussion in this thread.

Any show that has a Drunken Midget getting a blowjob and an orgy in the first half our of the first episode, has my attention. I'm not really into the fantasy genre but I can see this show having possibilities. I was pretty shocked at the final minute of the first episode.

Awesome, dude. I've been curious what the reaction would be from people who haven't read the books. Hope it can keep you hooked.

Tyrion is many, many people's favorite character from the series.

Swanman 04-20-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7578936)
Awesome, dude. I've been curious what the reaction would be from people who haven't read the books. Hope it can keep you hooked.

My favorites list at the moment would be:

Tyrion
Arya
Jon/Ghost
Bronn

Red Brooklyn 04-20-2011 10:58 AM

For me:

Arya
Jon
Daenerys
Catelyn
Tyrion

I've only read through Storm Of Swords. I wanted the fifth book to have a hard publication date before I read Feast Of Crows. I'm buy Feast Of Crows, and hopefully I'll start it in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Pants 04-20-2011 11:03 AM

Wow, Arya must have a bright future judging from the posts here. She was nowhere near my favorite character in GoT. After reading the 1st book, I had a feeling Jon would probably become my fave in the following works.

Huffmeister 04-20-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7578931)
I think they're being a little more subtle than that. It's less about her once loving him than about how much she hates him because the marriage began with him in love with dead Lyanna, followed by years of wenching. You don't have to love somebody for them to wound your pride...

The way they sold it on the previews was that she might have been able to love him had he not been the way he was. Rather than her pining away for years.

She's the woman scorned, basically.

Yeah, I just always pictured her as more of a spoiled brat that is used to scheming to get her way. But it's only the first episode, so I may change my opinion of her performance as we see more.

Iowanian 04-20-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7578936)

I was a little confused and off-put in the beginning with the guys outside the wall, the guy who saw the bodies in the circle and was beheaded...I didn't quite catch or understand what was going on with all of that.

I missed important details, as I didn't realize that whatshisname who was banging the King's wife was actually his sister....that makes a difference. I didn't understand that the blond(with the rockin' body) was a minor....That is a little more than offputting.

I'm curious as to the significance of the dire wolf, but it was obvious that it was big medicine.

Brideowanian walked into the room as the kid was in the window at the end.....and acted like she'd just seen a car crash. I verbally said "holy shit"....as I thought that kid was going to be a major character...like the next king or something.

I'll watch it again, but I can already tell I'm not going to know who is who for a while.

As long as it keeps entertaining, I'll keep watching. If it gets too much into dragons and monsters, it'll probably lose me.

So far, I was surprisingly entertained. i liked it.

Swanman 04-20-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 7579001)
I was a little confused and off-put in the beginning with the guys outside the wall, the guy who saw the bodies in the circle and was beheaded...I didn't quite catch or understand what was going on with all of that.

I missed important details, as I didn't realize that whatshisname who was banging the King's wife was actually his sister....that makes a difference. I didn't understand that the blond(with the rockin' body) was a minor....That is a little more than offputting.

I'm curious as to the significance of the dire wolf, but it was obvious that it was big medicine.

Brideowanian walked into the room as the kid was in the window at the end.....and acted like she'd just seen a car crash. I verbally said "holy shit"....as I thought that kid was going to be a major character...like the next king or something.

I'll watch it again, but I can already tell I'm not going to know who is who for a while.

As long as it keeps entertaining, I'll keep watching. If it gets too much into dragons and monsters, it'll probably lose me.

So far, I was surprisingly entertained. i liked it.

The book was confusing too at first, as lots of characters are introduced without a whole lot of backstory. As the book goes on, it became easier and easier to get everyone straight.

The direwolf's importance had a few characteristics:

1) Direwolves hadn't been seen south of The Wall for hundreds of years, meaning shit may be about to go down.
2) 5 direwolf pups for the 5 Stark children, with a runt left to die outside of the litter for the bastard Jon
3) The direwolf is the symbol of House Stark, and there is symbolism with how the direwolf died.

Pants 04-20-2011 11:26 AM

Yeap, the first scene, just like the preface in the book has very little to do with the story being told. It is foreshadowing something much bigger than the conflicts between the families (which are the centerpiece of both the book and the show). The blue-eyed things only get touched upon one more time, albeit in a pretty major way.