ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Killer apps for Android? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=237705)

WoodDraw 05-03-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8592429)
Thanks for the reply. sounds like we agree, you just need to root,flash, bloatware gone.

That's great for you and me, and everyone else that knows how to do this. But it's one of the biggest issues that contributes to poor software development for Android. Even when they launch a new version, it take 6 months to a year to roll out, and by that time, Google has moved on.

The newest flagship phones, from HTC and Samsung, both have significant OS changes. Google itself has already released their new browser...which only works with ICS. GB had huge improvements for game developers, but they still have to develop towards legacy devices. How do you fix that? I believe even the Galaxy S II is still on GB?

It's a problem for Google, and one they need to fix

vailpass 05-03-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8592597)
That's great for you and me, and everyone else that knows how to do this. But it's one of the biggest issues that contributes to poor software development for Android. Even when they launch a new version, it take 6 months to a year to roll out, and by that time, Google has moved on.

The newest flagship phones, from HTC and Samsung, both have significant OS changes. Google itself has already released their new browser...which only works with ICS. GB had huge improvements for game developers, but they still have to develop towards legacy devices. How do you fix that? I believe even the Galaxy S II is still on GB?

Respect. You seem to know your stuff here. You should talk with Slag.

BigMeatballDave 05-03-2012 08:25 PM

I've had the original Droid, then the EVO, now SGS2.

Motorola's UI is closest to stock Android, which I like.

Sense and Touchwiz are very bloated. I can't flash a custom ROM fast enough when I get a new phone.
CyanogenMod 7 and 9 are ****ing outstanding and by far and away my favorite Roms.
Miui is great, too.

BigMeatballDave 05-03-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8592597)

ICS has been rolling out for SGS2, but mostly in Asia and Europe.

I've flashed some leaks. Stock ICS is pretty slick.

BigMeatballDave 05-03-2012 08:31 PM

Chrome Beta on ICS is very nice.

morphius 05-03-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8592095)
If it's baked into the manufacturers skin then it can't be removed without flashing a modified ROM. For instance, on Samsung devices you can download a new launcher and use that, but you can't get rid of Touchwiz launcher.

All of these changes slow down the phone, and more importantly, contribute to a very fragmented Android.

For example, today Samsung announced the S III. So two years ago, they launched the original S and worked with Google on the Nexus S soon after. They have near identical hardware. The Nexus S runs Android 4.0.4 (the latest Android build). The Galaxy S variants run anything from Eclair to Gingerbread, but Samsung has already abandoned most (now all?) of them and won't upgrade them further.

There's nothing wrong with the hardware in those devices. Not cutting edge, but capable. But Samsung doesn't want to bother, because they've released a gazillion (no exaggeration) new devices that come first and they make their money off of selling new hardware, not actually supporting it. So you could have millions of Android phones running the latest software, but instead of have a fragmented mess.

I don't have a problem with skins. It's just that what Samsung announced today was really boring and shit, and yet it'll sell a lot. And in a year they'll abandon it, announce a new phone, and repeat. I hope Google can change that, and their cheap unlocked price for the Nexus is a great start! Hopefully the Motorola purchase goes through and they can begin to change the culture of these companies that wish they were still selling proprietary dumb phones.

I think the biggest problem is the phone companies, it costs them a bunch to re-certify devices. Apple forcing their hand is probably the only reason they get upgraded.

DaFace 05-03-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8592893)
Chrome Beta on ICS is very nice.

I've been using it for about a month. I like it a lot, but it tends to crash a lot on my tablet.

WoodDraw 05-04-2012 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 8593066)
I think the biggest problem is the phone companies, it costs them a bunch to re-certify devices. Apple forcing their hand is probably the only reason they get upgraded.

Certification is a big problem - here's a good article about it:

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2...tware-upgrade/

Mojo Rising 05-30-2012 12:56 PM

I just came across one of the best free apps for me to date. Foxfi . It turns my SGSII into a mobil hotspot without rooting, or paying the additional $15/month to Sprint.

Sprint now blocks it in the Google Play market. Google Foxfi and look for a site that you can download the apk. Some of the sites forward you to Play to download the app. Sprint will block that.

It worked for me on my wifi only droid tablet.

vailpass 05-30-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Rising (Post 8647906)
I just came across one of the best free apps for me to date. Foxfi . It turns my SGSII into a mobil hotspot without rooting, or paying the additional $15/month to Sprint.

Sprint now blocks it in the Google Play market. Google Foxfi and look for a site that you can download the apk. Some of the sites forward you to Play to download the app. Sprint will block that.

Careful. If Sprint notices you are dl'ing big data they will reach out to you with the hammer.

Mojo Rising 05-30-2012 01:27 PM

I put a password on it to protect from others and will not use it too much.

People who have been using it on this forum since March have not run into any billing issues:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...rt-us-now.html

chasedude 05-30-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Rising (Post 8647906)

I've been using it on my AT&T phone. Great little program.

mikeyis4dcats. 05-31-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8647924)
Careful. If Sprint notices you are dl'ing big data they will reach out to you with the hammer.

I've had a rooted EVo for 2 years, downloading 12+GB of data every month, never had a problem at all. I think I've had some months with 20+ but I don't really pay attention.

vailpass 05-31-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8649338)
I've had a rooted EVo for 2 years, downloading 12+GB of data every month, never had a problem at all. I think I've had some months with 20+ but I don't really pay attention.

I'm rooted EVO too, not saying it happens all the time but I've heard of it happening. Just passing it on for consideration.

For example: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-...cancelled.html

WoodDraw 05-31-2012 03:08 PM

XDA has a couple good articles out today which are must reads for the ROM flashing group here. First from today:

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...l-valid-today/

and the old post it quotes:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=667298

I still think far too many people are taken in by the crap Android "development" community. Educate yourself, and support true AOSP if that's what you want. And not crap XDA members who pretend to be legitimate developers by releasing ROMS that anyone here could do with a few minutes of training.